PDA

View Full Version : One thing I've learned about the Pony excess. . .

oulucas
12/14/2010, 12:53 AM
after watching the special on ESPN. Coaches, players, and fans all were very arrogant about how incredible the SMU team was and how they could have beaten any team in nation at any time. And yet they never had a season in which they beat every team (yes, they had one season where they didn't lose but they tied one game).

They were SO AWESOME, yet they had one tie game in their best season They paid all that money (Craig James, you can KISS MY ***) and still they couldn't win a title?

Seriously?

Don't be so arrogant about a mediocre team at a less than mediocre school who only had a couple of good years.

CatfishSooner
12/14/2010, 12:57 AM
haha yup...what'd they have...like 3 good years???

oulucas
12/14/2010, 01:22 AM
Not even that. After watching special you would think they had been outstanding for many years. They weren't even outstanding ONE year.

EatLeadCommie
12/14/2010, 01:54 AM
they were very good for a couple years...top 5 material...and were so because of that great class with Dickerson and James. I never got the impression that the documentary was saying they were great for eons. If anything, I see similarities between this doc and the doc on Colombian soccer. Money was integral to the rise and fall of both programs.

Sooner_Tuf
12/14/2010, 02:28 AM
They were very good but remember they played in the old SWC. Things were different back then. Football was more regionalized before the BCS. Texas sat at the top of the Conference most years because the conference wasn't very good usually.

Because of that it is hard to say exactly how good SMU was but make no mistake about it with Dickerson in the backfield they very well could have beaten just about anyone.

soonerhubs
12/14/2010, 02:29 AM
I like this thread better. I may check this episode out shortly.

LASooner
12/14/2010, 02:32 AM
They were like Kansas State in the late 90's early 2000's without the sex appeal.

So everyone on the team was taking money except James and Dickerson.....riiiiiiiiiight.
:texan:

Leroy Lizard
12/14/2010, 04:43 AM
They were like Kansas State in the late 90's early 2000's without the sex appeal.

So everyone on the team was taking money except James and Dickerson.....riiiiiiiiiight.

http://www.abc-of-fishing.net/images/pics/fish-hook-characteristics.gif

soonerhubs
12/14/2010, 07:12 AM
:rolleyes: Well it was a good thread.

AlbqSooner
12/14/2010, 07:18 AM
after watching the special on ESPN. Coaches, players, and fans all were very arrogant about how incredible the SMU team was and how they could have beaten any team in nation at any time.

Yeah they were so awesome that they brought their pony show onto Owen Field late in '85? (Maybe '86) and got their butts handed to them.

Soonerwake
12/14/2010, 09:44 AM
I was there in 85. Remember SMU warming up and talking a whole lotta smack in the north endzone to our fans..

Think their rb was Reggie Dupard..

soonerchk
12/14/2010, 10:48 AM

Um not hardly. Dickerson's gold Trans Am and Craig's red corvette told a different story.

badger
12/14/2010, 11:04 AM

Dickerson apparently took a car from an Aggie booster then went to SMU and continued driving the car from the Aggie booster :D

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/14/2010, 11:12 AM
Yeah they were so awesome that they brought their pony show onto Owen Field late in '85? (Maybe '86) and got their butts handed to them.Yeah, I was there, too, and the 'Stangs' fans I witnessed were quite obnoxious. They thought they had arrived at football greatness.

rekamrettuB
12/14/2010, 11:47 AM
Um not hardly. Dickerson's gold Trans Am and Craig's red corvette told a different story.

Not according to Eric and Craig on College Football Live the Saturday before the show. They said they didn't get paid nor had any idea anyone was getting paid. They said all that must have happened after their time there. Dickerson also said his granny paid for that car and the NCAA investigated for a month and found nothing.

So, there's the truth straight from the Pony's mouth.

:D Sorry...I don't buy it.

OUmillenium
12/14/2010, 11:51 AM
How about a game summary, stats from when SMU came to Norman?

Thanks

Sooners78
12/14/2010, 11:57 AM

Thanks

This site used to do write-ups of individual games, but I can't find it now. Here's a link to the 85 season.

http://soonerstats.com/football/seasons/schedule.cfm?seasonid=1985

jumperstop
12/14/2010, 11:57 AM
Not according to Eric and Craig on College Football Live the Saturday before the show. They said they didn't get paid nor had any idea anyone was getting paid. They said all that must have happened after their time there. Dickerson also said his granny paid for that car and the NCAA investigated for a month and found nothing.

Dickerson was laughing about it under his breath when asked if he knew in the documentary. He said something like, "I got it from my grandma, and that's all to that"

OKLA21FAN
12/14/2010, 11:59 AM

Thanks

SMU marched down the field and scored easily on their 1st drive (about 80 yards). 35 some odd OU points later, the game was over. :pop:

soonerchk
12/14/2010, 12:02 PM

Yeah, and they lie.

texaspokieokie
12/14/2010, 12:10 PM
his granny bought it, but where did granny get the money ???

bmjlr
12/14/2010, 12:25 PM
his granny bought it, but where did granny get the money ???

from her sugar daddy of course...:eek: :D

KantoSooner
12/14/2010, 12:48 PM
Whatever one wishes to think about the SMU of those years, one MUST give kudos to them for having gloriously entitled little rich girls by the herd/horde. And they should be creditted (in a dead heat with Sweet Brier, but still...) with introducing the modern world to pressed jeans worn over pantyhose.
Screw Dickerson, that there is greatness.

CarolinaSoonerFan
12/14/2010, 01:23 PM
This site used to do write-ups of individual games, but I can't find it now. Here's a link to the 85 season.

Really, the link shows they weren't even ranked!!

FtwTxSooner
12/14/2010, 01:37 PM

Wow, the first game that season was played on 9/28. That must have been a pain having to wait until late September for the season to start!

bluedogok
12/14/2010, 01:54 PM
SMU marched down the field and scored easily on their 1st drive (about 80 yards). 35 some odd OU points later, the game was over. :pop:
That was how I sat it sitting in the south end zone. That season the defense seemed to give up more than a few first possession touchdowns and then strangled them the rest of the game.

CU Sooner
12/14/2010, 02:05 PM
That first drive we were still thawing out from the previous week's ice bowl. then we got warmed up and jamelle killed them.