PDA

View Full Version : What about Cale Gundy?

Jason White's Third Knee
12/13/2010, 11:56 PM
I am a few stated removed and have no idea if anyone has said anything about how the co-OC move passed over Gundy. I thought Norvell and Heupel would make a hell of a team. Cale has been with us for a long time though.

Any thoughts or news?

Soonerfan88
12/14/2010, 12:12 AM
It's been reported many times that Cale is happy where he is and has no desire to move into a coordinator position. The same is also true of Jackie Shipp.

sooner59
12/14/2010, 12:13 AM
I think the general idea is that Cale likes his current position. Probably because he doesn't have to be put in the spotlight to either fail and face the crowd or succeed and have to deal with leaving Norman. I don't know, just guessing. He has job security as long as Bob is here and is paid well and doesn't have to hear "FIRE CALE GUNDY!!".

usaosooner
12/14/2010, 12:15 AM
Gundy has chosen NOT to advance up the ladder. He is happy dealing with the RBs

Tigeman
12/14/2010, 12:16 AM
Believe it or not, there's just some people that are not happy being the HMIC!

MrJimBeam
12/14/2010, 06:29 AM
Cale is loyal and a great Sooner but he's not even half the coach [hairGel] is.

King Barry's Back
12/14/2010, 06:38 AM
Gundy has chosen NOT to advance up the ladder. He is happy dealing with the RBs

I can understand that attitude. But in Cale's case, he's been here a long time. I believe he came in with Bob Stoops back in 1999.

If I was Bob, I'd look at it like this: Either I don't think Cale has the ability to become OC -- in which case I wouldn't necessarily want him on my staff; or I'd probably have a hard time really trusting anybody that never (in 11 yrs) wanted to be promoted.

thurman murman
12/14/2010, 06:41 AM
Other than RB coach, Cale also has a job title called "Director of Recruiting" and he does a damn fine job.

ouflak
12/14/2010, 07:06 AM
I can understand that attitude. But in Cale's case, he's been here a long time. I believe he came in with Bob Stoops back in 1999.

If I was Bob, I'd look at it like this: Either I don't think Cale has the ability to become OC -- in which case I wouldn't necessarily want him on my staff; or I'd probably have a hard time really trusting anybody that never (in 11 yrs) wanted to be promoted.

There are plenty of successful organizations in the world and throughout history that had people who were content with, and good at, their particular position in that organization. In fact, I'd say such people are a foundation for success. They are reliable, loyal, dependable, all sorts of positive things etc.... Get such people. Keep them around.

SoonerinSouthlake
12/14/2010, 07:43 AM

to steal a way of describing this from a Book called "Top Grading"...you want only "A" players in your organziation. Someone who is an A player at one position, may end up being a B or C player if moved up the ladder or moved in to a different position.

Bob may very well have learned that Cale is an A at RB coach...but may not have gifts to be in other places

. While Cale may very well have learned the same.....and Cale may have realized that he makes a boat load of money, lives were he wants to live, and does a job he loves and that he is great at.

fadada1
12/14/2010, 07:48 AM
interesting question. i would speculate that cale is devoted to OU and his family. while he isn't building a castle on the edge of town, i'm sure he's doing VERY well financially (if that's important to him).

some people are perfectly content with having a good career with a lot of stability. he's loyal to stoops, and i would think that stoops is loyal to him. cale is getting nothing but better at developing all-american type running backs, and selling OU to incoming recruits.

i think we're lucky to have him right where he is.

pweitkem
12/14/2010, 08:27 AM
Never make your best welder a foreman. You lose your best welder and 9 times out of 10 get a bad manager.

OUinFLA
12/14/2010, 08:40 AM
Norm Chow is another example

TXBOOMER
12/14/2010, 08:45 AM
Cale is loyal and a great Sooner but he's not even half the coach [hairGel] is.

Nobody knows how anyone will do until they put in the position. I'm not saying Cale would make a good OC, but you never know. I know last year in Norman his brother looked like a joke OC/HC.

Monster Zero
12/14/2010, 08:51 AM
I am a few stated removed and have no idea if anyone has said anything about how the co-OC move passed over Gundy. I thought Norvell and Heupel would make a hell of a team. Cale has been with us for a long time though.

Any thoughts or news?

What about Cale? He has one of the sweetest jobs in the world right now.

Taxman71
12/14/2010, 09:06 AM
Cale appears happy and should be. He is making great money coaching at his alma mater, 20 minutes from his hometown. His wife is now a lawyer and practices in Norman. Most importantly, his son gets to hang with the OU baseball team alot (Golloway lives a few houses down from Cale). I have always said Cale (and his bro Mike) were better at baseball than football, just that football was their passion.

85sooners
12/14/2010, 09:30 AM
:cool:

Landthief 1972
12/14/2010, 09:33 AM

Maybe because he's one of the best recruiters on the staff, and as mentioned before, Director of Recruiting?

LiveLaughLove
12/14/2010, 09:50 AM
Any links to where he has said he doesnt want to be an OC? Or he said he's happy in the job he is in and would turn down OC? Or where he has said he just wants to stay in his current role and live in Norman the rest of his days?

Or is this all speculation on everyones part?

SOFSooner
12/14/2010, 09:57 AM
I would say that director of recruiting is a very diverse and difficult job. I would even go so far as to say that Cale's job is every bit as important, if not more so, than the OC. If you don't get the players, you don't get the offense.

cantwait48
12/14/2010, 10:44 AM
every program needs someone like him, he went to school there, played there, he represents the program in a way not many others could, when he recruits it is not the usual BS from some guy who may not be there in two months or two years, it is coming from someone who is a true sooner. I hope he sticks around until he is 75.

virginiasooner
12/14/2010, 11:08 AM
Not everyone wants to end up being the face of an organization. Perhaps Cale knows his limitations and what he wants to do with his life.

SoonerMarkVA
12/14/2010, 11:40 AM
I think the general idea is that Cale likes his current position. Probably because he doesn't have to be put in the spotlight to either fail and face the crowd or succeed and have to deal with leaving Norman. I don't know, just guessing. He has job security as long as Bob is here and is paid well and doesn't have to hear "FIRE CALE GUNDY!!".

I suspect this is just about right.

Following ambition into misery is hardly admirable. If you find something you love, and are happy doing it, then the right thing to do is stick with it. Assuming this is the case for Cale, he can at any time change his mind and explore moving up.