PDA

View Full Version : Realistic expectations of a Heupel led offense?

adoniijahsooner
12/13/2010, 06:49 PM
This ought to be interesting....:pop:

mightysooner
12/13/2010, 07:04 PM
This ought to be interesting....:pop:

Innovation- I doubt Heupel will do dumb sh*t like run it repeatedly into a pile when it's not working and get three goal line stands against him in a single game. He'll find more creative ways to get the ball to playmakers (like using Broyles on end arounds etc.,)

Forcing defenses to be disciplined- I seriously doubt Heupel will remove all aspects of misdirection and play action from his offensive brand in favor of excusing away his hard-headed predictability with the old "players need to execute" line.

We shall see......but I'm more excited about Heupel than I ever was about Long or Wilson. I think he has twice the offensive mind of both of those guys put together.

landrun
12/13/2010, 07:07 PM
People will complain. People always complain.
And the only time complaining is justified is when I'm the one doing it. :D

King Crimson
12/13/2010, 07:27 PM
touchdown every play.

bigfatjerk
12/13/2010, 07:28 PM
Best offense ever.

Really near the top of the conference. Maybe a top 10-20 offense in the nation

silverwheels
12/13/2010, 07:30 PM
Not sure what to expect, to be honest. And he may be calling plays, but he's not the only guy running the show. From what I remember, Norvell ran the West Coast offense as an OC at Nebraska and UCLA. Heupel obviously QBed a spread offense under Leach and Mangino. It will be interesting.

bigfatjerk
12/13/2010, 07:33 PM
You can't compare Norvell in his other places and here. We have a spread type system with power running game. Not a west coast offense really. There's some west coast principles with the short passing but it's a spread type offense.

silverwheels
12/13/2010, 07:35 PM
You can't compare Norvell in his other places and here. We have a spread type system with power running game. Not a west coast offense really. There's some west coast principles with the short passing but it's a spread type offense.

That's what Wilson ran, yes. But he's not the OC anymore. But I'm sure Norvell and Heupel will keep some of KW's philosophies. I'm wondering about what they'll change.

sooner59
12/13/2010, 07:37 PM
74 points per game. 48 straight wins.

bigfatjerk
12/13/2010, 07:41 PM
That's what Wilson ran, yes. But he's not the OC anymore. But I'm sure Norvell and Heupel will keep some of KW's philosophies. I'm wondering about what they'll change.

I doubt we change the system under Heupel when we still have the same QB coming back.

OUinFLA
12/13/2010, 07:41 PM
with some success, he'll soon move on to be the OC at a premier level school. Like Florida or somewhere

budbarrybob
12/13/2010, 07:42 PM

QUIT UNDERESTIMATING ME!!! [hairGel]

agoo758
12/13/2010, 07:50 PM
He takes us out for pizza after the game.

NWOSURanger
12/13/2010, 07:57 PM
I want to see our QB draw the defense offsides and then the QB throwing a bomb down the field.

btb916
12/13/2010, 08:04 PM
I really don't know. I see some people here say they expect H-H-Heupel to be really "innovative." To those who say that, why do you think that? What is it about him that makes you feel he will be more "innovative" than Wilson? And why was Wilson not innovative? I know some will mention the goal line stands. It happened what, twice? In important times, sure, but come on. Give me some more substance than that. Show me stretches of time where he wasn't innovative.

But, for my part, I don't know what Heupel will do. I do have faith that he will do a good job, probably right out of the gate. For the bowl game, though, I don't expect any real changes at all.

webfoot
12/13/2010, 08:13 PM
Has "World's Greatest Offense" been used yet?

BoulderSooner79
12/13/2010, 08:13 PM
I expect we'll notice a difference in the bowl game just because play calling is such a real-time activity and Josh will process things differently than Kevin. It will be interesting and I don't have any preconceived notions about it.

EDIT: of course we're DOOMED

SoonerLB
12/13/2010, 08:16 PM
Fewer swing passes! ;)

yankee
12/13/2010, 08:18 PM
i bet a JH led offense is going to look a lot like a KW led offense.

rekamrettuB
12/13/2010, 08:19 PM

Anything less and he can hit the dadgum road.

mdklatt
12/13/2010, 08:19 PM
More shovel passes.

OUNC06
12/13/2010, 08:22 PM
I think we should throw to Matt Clapp in the flat with a broken hand. No, wait a draw play to Matt Clapp on 3rd down would be better. Brilliant.

I actually liked Wilson a lot. He was one of the best offensive coordinators out there. However, he made some bizarre calls at critical times.

As a QB Josh seemed like a natural at reading defenses and getting the right play called at the line of scrimmage. He has been an amazing QB coach, and his abilities should translate into being a great play caller.

Pardner
12/13/2010, 08:23 PM
I want to see our QB draw the defense offsides and then the QB throwing a bomb down the field.

THIS!!! I haven't seen anyone do that anywhere close to as well as Josh did it.

The Maestro
12/13/2010, 08:24 PM
I believe the biggest thing is Josh KNOWS our QB's best...and he KNOWS what it is like to be a QB...game situation stuff. I think that is a great advantage he has.

Secondly, I think Josh, based on his playing days and the results, will go with what works. OU had plenty of games in the JH era of not trying to run when run was either a) not working, or b)not the best option. Play to your strengths. Hell, look at New England yesterday. In a game where snow was blowing sideways, Captain Obvious would be running to shorten the game. Tom Brady threw for 369 yards. And he didn't even try after halftime.

I believe the best days of the Bob Stoops era are ahead. Part of that is because we have the smartest QB in OU history now calling plays. Josh has earned his stripes. And I just like the fact Josh is an OU guy...gonna be hard to get mad at him when the plays aren't working as well.

BoulderSooner79
12/13/2010, 08:25 PM
Fewer swing passes! ;)

Say it ain't so! I really like swing passes to DM - can't we keep 'em for 1 more game?

cccasooner2
12/13/2010, 08:32 PM
He comes in with a lot of heup. We'll have to wait and see; remember, he has not called a play from the booth yet in Div. 1 football.

OUinFLA
12/13/2010, 08:32 PM
I hope we keep the Merkatt offense, it is so.................. well, exciting to watch.

MeMyself&Me
12/13/2010, 08:41 PM
More shovel passes.

I actually do think we'll see more of that. But I think we'd see more of that if KW was still here too. That kind of play should suit Finch nicely, just as it did Q.

85sooners
12/13/2010, 08:52 PM
Go team!!

soonerbub
12/13/2010, 08:58 PM
SHOTBONE ninjee

CarolinaSoonerFan
12/13/2010, 09:14 PM
74 points per game. 49 straight wins.

Corrected

brainpimp
12/13/2010, 09:25 PM
I actually do think we'll see more of that. But I think we'd see more of that if KW was still here too. That kind of play should suit Finch nicely, just as it did Q.

If we don't start using that more with Finch.......... we should fire Heu.. . Oh never mind.:D Hook 'em

SoonerMarkVA
12/13/2010, 09:30 PM
Innovation- I doubt Heupel will do dumb sh*t like run it repeatedly into a pile when it's not working and get three goal line stands against him in a single game. He'll find more creative ways to get the ball to playmakers (like using Broyles on end arounds etc.,)

Forcing defenses to be disciplined- I seriously doubt Heupel will remove all aspects of misdirection and play action from his offensive brand in favor of excusing away his hard-headed predictability with the old "players need to execute" line.

We shall see......but I'm more excited about Heupel than I ever was about Long or Wilson. I think he has twice the offensive mind of both of those guys put together.

Yes, this is what I expect to see. I expect a resurrection of some of the Leach-flavored offense of 2000. Not full out, but a lot of the bread-and-butter from that time I expect to see again.

And I say it's high time we got the shuttle pass back in as a regular part of our offense. Finch is perfect to run it.

SoonerMarkVA
12/13/2010, 09:36 PM

You remember '99? With Heup, Matt O'Neal, and J. Jackson? It's like those guys were the Borg or something, the way they were interconnected. Heup barks, O'Neal snaps the second the D line jumps over, and Jarrail streaks about 30 yards downfield. And darn if it didn't work just about every freakin' time. Seriously, I don't think I've ever seen such amazing synchronicity as with those three.

Soonerite
12/13/2010, 09:47 PM

Osu officials will be contacting you shortly for copyright infringement. :D

hawaii 5-0
12/13/2010, 09:54 PM
Tho I like to see Finch pick his way through the line to find an opening, I'd love to see him on the slot one on one with a LB trying to cover him.

I want to see a power game where 3rd and 2 yards is a gimme. I don't ever want to see us having to go for it on 4th down.

I predict Heupel to be very creative in his schemes. The Diamond Offense has a lot of possibilites. I'm excited.

I'm not sure what Norvell will bring to the table as a co-coordinator.

5-0

usaosooner
12/13/2010, 09:55 PM
Shuttle passes to FINNNNNNNNCCCCCH

StiffArmTrophy
12/13/2010, 09:57 PM
I see it being very similar to what KW ran at OU. I see him creating some new wrinkles in the offense and hopefully expanding on the Diamond T.

oudavid1
12/13/2010, 10:01 PM
there will be 11 guys all wearing Crimson, sometimes cream.

Boomer Sooner!

stoopified
12/13/2010, 10:26 PM
Heupel will do fine,its not like he is going to be working with coaches that he doesn't know or who don't know the offense.

sooner59
12/13/2010, 10:30 PM
He comes in with a lot of heup. We'll have to wait and see; remember, he has not called a play from the booth yet in Div. 1 football.

I see what you did there. :D

silverwheels
12/13/2010, 10:32 PM

Nope. OSU had the "World's Most Powerful Offense", so we're good.

Leroy Lizard
12/13/2010, 11:21 PM

Yeah, whatever happened to that?

LiveLaughLove
12/13/2010, 11:21 PM
You know I am sure it's because of distance in time, but I personally don't recall ever thinking Leach was doing a bad job as OC.

I am sure I disagreed with certain calls in certain situations, but overall I loved his offense.

I know, I know, it had it's limitations, but it was innovative, fun, and effective. We led in every game in '99.

Don't recall disliking Leach's offense as ran by Mangino either. But then again, we went undefeated.

I expect to be even more enamored with Josh. I think he will be high octane and innovative without being stupid about it.

In the bowl game, I expect pretty much the same offense we have ran all year with maybe one or two wrinkles thrown in, just in case.

Rickety_Syd
12/13/2010, 11:34 PM
Some of you people would have hated the wishbone days.
Option right.
Option left.
Fullback up the middle.
Yawn.

Seamus
12/13/2010, 11:40 PM
I imagine the 714 points we scored in 2008 will be surpassed sometime in the first or second quarter of the * game :D

MeMyself&Me
12/13/2010, 11:58 PM
Option right.
Option left.
Fullback up the middle.
Yawn.

But it sure was a thing of absolute beauty!!! There's nothing as breathtaking as the option pitch back to the running back (in full stride) just as the QB is getting drilled.

BoulderSooner79
12/14/2010, 12:04 AM
Option right.
Option left.
Fullback up the middle.
Yawn.

I became a fan during the wishbone time - fans were always calling for more passing.

Soonerman08
12/14/2010, 12:33 AM
I really don't know. I see some people here say they expect H-H-Heupel to be really "innovative." To those who say that, why do you think that? What is it about him that makes you feel he will be more "innovative" than Wilson? And why was Wilson not innovative? I know some will mention the goal line stands. It happened what, twice? In important times, sure, but come on. Give me some more substance than that. Show me stretches of time where he wasn't innovative.

But, for my part, I don't know what Heupel will do. I do have faith that he will do a good job, probably right out of the gate. For the bowl game, though, I don't expect any real changes at all.

Try 16 (4 - 4 down situations) times, 8 against Florida and 8 against A&M.

CatfishSooner
12/14/2010, 12:56 AM
why is heupal so smart???? j/w

BigRed47
12/14/2010, 01:50 AM
with some success, he'll soon move on to be the OC at a premier level school. Like Florida or somewhere

Wow, and I was under the misconception that OU was one of the premier schools. Boy am I dumb?

oudavid1
12/14/2010, 04:45 AM
Option right.
Option left.
Fullback up the middle.
Yawn.

go hit someone! love it.

I love reading about LaVell Edwards back then. What they called a spread then is something totally different now.

R@bidred
12/14/2010, 11:33 AM
I believe the biggest thing is Josh KNOWS our QB's best...and he KNOWS what it is like to be a QB...game situation stuff. I think that is a great advantage he has.

Secondly, I think Josh, based on his playing days and the results, will go with what works. OU had plenty of games in the JH era of not trying to run when run was either a) not working, or b)not the best option. Play to your strengths. Hell, look at New England yesterday. In a game where snow was blowing sideways, Captain Obvious would be running to shorten the game. Tom Brady threw for 369 yards. And he didn't even try after halftime.

I believe the best days of the Bob Stoops era are ahead. Part of that is because we have the smartest QB in OU history now calling plays. Josh has earned his stripes. And I just like the fact Josh is an OU guy...gonna be hard to get mad at him when the plays aren't working as well.

You make some good points. What most don't know about Josh is he was able to call plays while playing QB. The coaching staff thought so much of his play calling ability to let him do that. I don't know of any QBs since that have done that. What I remember about that year was he would put us in position each play to have a chance of success. Not ever play worked but I always felt he called the right play. I would not be surprised if Jones is given the chance to change plays next year. Josh will know from experience that this gives the offense a better chance of success.
Get your sunglasses out...the future looks bright!

OUmillenium
12/14/2010, 11:37 AM
The thing about our offense during the days of Leach 1999 and Heupel/Mangino 2000, was that it appeared we were doing everything in our power to be successful. It wasn't a vanilla/Big 10 fest ever. That's what I believe the Sooners have been missing. I've said it before, I don't think we need a plethora of trick plays and gimmicks, but we need deception, variety, and playing to our strengths. This was our key to success 10 years ago, not a hurry up finesse offense that all of the sudden tried to be something it wasn't in the Redzone. Wilson was great most of the time but his lapses absolutely killed us in some games over the last 3 years.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/14/2010, 11:40 AM
i bet a JH led offense is going to look a lot like a KW led offense.

setem
12/14/2010, 11:46 AM

Because of all the heup don't you think we should all pel(pull) for him?:D

SoonerPr8r
12/14/2010, 11:47 AM
I doubt we change the system under Heupel when we still have the same QB coming back.

This. If he does have some drastic changes in mind then we will not see it till LJ leaves. We may get an idea of what he wants to run by paying attention to the type of players he recruits. My big question is whether or not he is going to keep the no huddle.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/14/2010, 11:49 AM
Because of all the heup don't you think we should all pel(pull) for him?:D

you really are gay

setem
12/14/2010, 12:05 PM
you really are gay

Maybe just a little!

SoonerNutt
12/14/2010, 12:07 PM

Better make him HCIW to prevent that from happ...Josh? Anybody seen Josh?

SoonerNutt
12/14/2010, 12:10 PM
This. If he does have some drastic changes in mind then we will not see it till LJ leaves. We may get an idea of what he wants to run by paying attention to the type of players he recruits. My big question is whether or not he is going to keep the no huddle.

Look at Stoops comments yesterday. He wants to keep the style of offense we have today, and that is why Josh got the job. Stoops likes what our offense has been doing, obivously because he doesn't read our message board enough.

MeMyself&Me
12/14/2010, 12:15 PM
ANY change in the offense for next year will be due to the personnel change up. Right now, our feature back is more of a power runner. Next year, it looks like our feature back will be more of a scat type. So I'd expect a little less power formations and maybe some creativity to keep Milliard on the field which may be just more diamond. I don't see much changes beyond that.

Those that are saying we'll see more QB audibles I think will be disappointed. The point of our no-huddle isn't hurry up, it's so that the coaches get to call the play based on what they see from the defensive personnel/line up. Essentially, the coaches are calling an audible on every play. No need for a QB to call an audible after an audible.

NormanPride
12/14/2010, 12:38 PM
Finch is actually very good in downhill situations. I would not be surprised to see more I-formation next year because of it.

madillsoonerfan5353
12/14/2010, 12:38 PM
Fewer swing passes! ;)

AND MORE SHOVEL PASSES!!!!:mad: :bsmf:

madillsoonerfan5353
12/14/2010, 12:43 PM
ANY change in the offense for next year will be due to the personnel change up. Right now, our feature back is more of a power runner. Next year, it looks like our feature back will be more of a scat type. So I'd expect a little less power formations and maybe some creativity to keep Milliard on the field which may be just more diamond. I don't see much changes beyond that.

Those that are saying we'll see more QB audibles I think will be disappointed. The point of our no-huddle isn't hurry up, it's so that the coaches get to call the play based on what they see from the defensive personnel/line up. Essentially, the coaches are calling an audible on every play. No need for a QB to call an audible after an audible.

And it keeps the same personnel on the field for the defense. :D

:gary:

Sooners78
12/14/2010, 12:43 PM
He doesn't need to be innovative. His strength will be his ability to make game-time adjustments to what the defense is doing. If he could do it as a QB, he'll do it even better as an OC.

madillsoonerfan5353
12/14/2010, 12:44 PM
He doesn't need to be innovative. His strength will be his ability to make game-time adjustments to what the defense is doing. If he could do it as a QB, he'll do it even better as an OC.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

swardboy
12/14/2010, 01:37 PM
Option right.
Option left.
Fullback up the middle.
Yawn.

You left out "73 yards on the pitch"
70 yards on the end around
40 yards on the hook and lateral (or ladder, whatever)

boomermagic
12/14/2010, 02:03 PM
I think Josh will be ok but don't expect much difference.. OU has been running Bob Stoop' offense It's what Bob wants not what us posters might think is best..

boomermagic
12/14/2010, 02:04 PM
You left out "73 yards on the pitch"
70 yards on the end around
40 yards on the hook and lateral (or ladder, whatever)

Yep,

Those really WERE the good ole days.. Long live King Barry..

boomermagic
12/14/2010, 02:05 PM
How long will it be before posters are ragging on Josh ?

PalmBeachSooner
12/14/2010, 02:14 PM
Josh is definitely a student of the game and watches a lot of film. I look for better game plans and adjustments during the game if needed. I think he will have a good read on how to attack a defense.

adoniijahsooner
12/14/2010, 02:25 PM
Kevin Wilson left a good foundation for Heupel to work with; but I also think Heupel has his own ideas and philosophies that he will implement within Wilson's system.

boomermagic
12/14/2010, 02:25 PM
Josh is definitely a student of the game and watches a lot of film. I look for better game plans and adjustments during the game if needed. I think he will have a good read on how to attack a defense.

I have confidence that he will not just screw things up but I don't know if many people actually know much more about offense than KW does so I'm not sure we will see what some expect whatever that may be ?

BoulderSooner79
12/14/2010, 02:27 PM
Kevin Wilson left a good foundation for Heupel to work with; but I also think Heupel has his own ideas and philosophies that he will implement within Wilson's system.

Sorry, we've already established that promoting from within leaves us stale and void of any new ideas. Pay 'tention. ;)

CrimsonRez
12/14/2010, 02:30 PM
I still think they shoulda let me be the OC

oudavid1
12/14/2010, 03:16 PM
I still think they shoulda let me be the OC

hey! i called dips!