PDA

View Full Version : Huepel/Norvell Co-OC's

colleyvillesooner
12/13/2010, 02:28 PM
Per soonersports twitter:

Heupel, Norvell named co-coords. Heupel will have play-calling responsibilities beginning with Fiesta Bowl. Full release coming soon.

olevetonahill
12/13/2010, 02:30 PM
Sounds good to me .
Thanks Bro

bigfatjerk
12/13/2010, 02:31 PM
Good for Josh.

bonkuba
12/13/2010, 02:31 PM
Cool

Breadburner
12/13/2010, 02:32 PM
Excelent....!!!!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/13/2010, 02:32 PM
BOOOOOMERRRRR!!!

C&CDean
12/13/2010, 02:33 PM
Great. Now I'm gonna have to crack heads on all the usual hater/morons who are gonna start hating on Josh January 1 when all his plays don't go for a TD.

instigator
12/13/2010, 02:34 PM
I wonder if this is just the Fiesta bowl or for next year too.

instigator
12/13/2010, 02:34 PM
Great. Now I'm gonna have to crack heads on all the usual hater/morons who are gonna start hating on Josh January 1 when all his plays don't go for a TD.

I already want him fired. None of his play calls have ever worked! :P

mgsooner
12/13/2010, 02:35 PM
FAARRR HEUPEL!!!!!!!!

fwsooner22
12/13/2010, 02:36 PM
This is gonna make SF.com so much more interesting.

PalmBeachSooner
12/13/2010, 02:37 PM

...but you're an allsome crackhead!

SoonerMarkVA
12/13/2010, 02:38 PM
Wow! I didn't expect Heupel to be the main play caller. I consider that great news!

kelloggOUballa
12/13/2010, 02:38 PM
I wonder if this is just the Fiesta bowl or for next year too.

Heupel, Norvell named co-coords. Heupel will have play-calling responsibilities beginning with Fiesta Bowl. Full release coming soon.

Beginning with, means he will handle the play-calling duties for the foreseeable future.

Sooner_Tuf
12/13/2010, 02:39 PM

Just bane them, no more mickey mousing around :eek:

...sooner
12/13/2010, 02:40 PM
FAARRR HEUPEL!!!!!!!!

HAHAHAHA I just laughed out loud!

badger
12/13/2010, 02:40 PM
More info here (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20101213_92_0_Oklaho466087)

Jay C. Upchurch
12/13/2010, 02:41 PM
NORMAN, Okla. – Oklahoma Head Football Coach Bob Stoops announced today that Josh Heupel and Jay Norvell have been promoted to co-offensive coordinators on the Sooner football staff and that Heupel will have play-calling responsibilities.

The moves come after offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson accepted the head coaching position at Indiana. Wilson will remain with the team through the Fiesta Bowl, but will serve only as a position coach with tight ends and fullbacks, the same positions he has coached since 2006.

“As has always been the case, our entire offensive staff will work together in game planning, but there needs to be one coach who calls the plays and Josh will have that responsibility,” Stoops said. “Josh has a good feel for the game and rhythm that we’ve been able to establish.

“This is a great way to maintain our current style and continuity. Our current style fits our personnel and allows us to remain balanced, something that is important to me.”

Heupel, who quarterbacked the Sooners to the 2000 national championship, is in his sixth season at OU. He joined the full-time staff as quarterbacks coach in 2005 prior to the Holiday Bowl win over Oregon. He served as a graduate assistant at OU from 2003-05 before spending one season as tight ends coach at Arizona.

Norvell, has been the receivers coach and assistant offensive coordinator. He came to Oklahoma in 2008. He previously served as offensive coordinator at Nebraska (2004-06) and UCLA (2007).

Stoops said he has no time-table in filling the staff vacancy created by Wilson’s departure.

OU SID Report

OK2U
12/13/2010, 02:41 PM
Do they both move up the the booth?
The receivers started playing a lot better after Norvell moved back down to the sidelines to get in their faces.
Does Landry suffer from not having his position coach on the sidelines? Does he have to talk on the phone now? Are we screwed?!!

The
12/13/2010, 02:42 PM
THE NINJA FORMATION LIVES!

swardboy
12/13/2010, 02:43 PM
Wow, this is great. I have no doubt we'll have a prolific offense next year. I'll bet the whole team is happy with this, especially LJ. This ratchets the excitement level sky high.

instigator
12/13/2010, 02:44 PM
Beginning with, means he will handle the play-calling duties for the foreseeable future.

I see that, but it is just really surprising that Josh will be calling plays. I wasn't expecting that. I think he will be pretty good since he seems to have a great football mind. It's just surprising to me to hear this. Sounds like this is a nice way to do it though. He can work with Jay (who has been an OC before) and Jay could leave for another job (like Pitt) in the future without too much changing. Hopefully Jay sticks around for at least a year to work with Josh.

badger
12/13/2010, 02:45 PM
I think everything Josh says to Landry doesn't change Landry's blank expression, so talking to Landry by phone wouldn't make that much difference. Besides, Blake Bell and Drew Allen (and Nimmo!!!) will be on the sideline to talk to Landry in person to give personal insight if necessary.

Btw, NP told me that Major reportedly confronted Mack about the offensive coordinator spot. Point-blank asked him "You gonna promote me?" and Mack was like "No." The fact that Stoops trusts Josh more than Mack trusts Major. That is a major low blow right there. Mack made Major sit behind Chrissy for years and now he's continuing to make Major sit behind someone else (who might or might not be inferior... Greg probably was). Get out, Major. Mack will never trust and respect you as a player or coach.

bigfatjerk
12/13/2010, 02:46 PM

Maybe we should start that thread right now and get it out of the way.

Section 9
12/13/2010, 02:46 PM
Are there any graduate assistants that might move into a full-time coaching position? And will they get pay raises?

Kilmer
12/13/2010, 02:47 PM
Kind of surprised Heupel got the co-coordinator job. Just assumed it was Norvell's job, but I don't hate it.

MichiganSooner
12/13/2010, 02:47 PM
This is an awesome decision by Coach Stoops.

OklahomaTuba
12/13/2010, 02:50 PM
3rd and Huepel.

12/13/2010, 02:51 PM
I see that, but it is just really surprising that Josh will be calling plays. I wasn't expecting that. I think he will be pretty good since he seems to have a great football mind. It's just surprising to me to hear this. Sounds like this is a nice way to do it though. He can work with Jay (who has been an OC before) and Jay could leave for another job (like Pitt) in the future without too much changing. Hopefully Jay sticks around for at least a year to work with Josh.Are you disguising yourself as a Sooner fan, or are you openly Gator?

Theskipster
12/13/2010, 02:53 PM
Jake Trotter says that Kevin Wilson will stay through the bowl, but will only be the TE and FB coach.

My Opinion Matters
12/13/2010, 02:54 PM
You mean Heupel wasn't named head coach in waiting? FIRE BOB STOOPS!!!!

A Sooner in Texas
12/13/2010, 02:55 PM
I bet Norvell's up in the booth and Josh stays on the sidelines to have more personal interaction with LJ.
What a great move...it fosters great coordination between Norvell and Heupel, but also more of a competitive drive between the two.

BoulderSooner79
12/13/2010, 02:56 PM
Jake Trotter says that Kevin Wilson will stay through the bowl, but will only be the TE and FB coach.

I'm glad he is staying around, but it kind of surprises me. He must be devoting some time to recruiting/staffing at Indiana.

This will be interesting watching the Fiesta with the same OC for game planning and the same players, but just a different play caller. I'm not claiming it will be better/worse/same - just interesting.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
12/13/2010, 02:57 PM

Man, what I wouldn't give to see that on the field one more time in Norman! HAHA!

Fraggle145
12/13/2010, 02:58 PM
So is Heupel still also the QB coach?

3rdgensooner
12/13/2010, 03:09 PM
So is Heupel still also the QB coach?I hope so, playcalling and qb coaching maximizes Heupel's strengths.

yermom
12/13/2010, 03:14 PM
Are you disguising yourself as a Sooner fan, or are you openly Gator?

HAHAHHAHAHAHA

SoonerPr8r
12/13/2010, 03:18 PM
I bet Norvell's up in the booth and Josh stays on the sidelines to have more personal interaction with LJ.
What a great move...it fosters great coordination between Norvell and Heupel, but also more of a competitive drive between the two.

Since Heupel is calling the plays he will most likely be in the booth. You can call plays from the sideline but it is a little harder to see the entire defense.

3rdgensooner
12/13/2010, 03:19 PM
Counting the subject line, I've seen 3 different spellings of Heupel's name.

Shirley you people can come up with more.

SbOrOiNaEnR
12/13/2010, 03:22 PM

Hyple.

Soonermagik
12/13/2010, 03:23 PM
Heupel will call too many shovel passes. ;)

delhalew
12/13/2010, 03:25 PM

I'm hoping for the opposite. Most guys have better luck calling plays from above. Norvill seems to be good at lighting a fire under some asses on the sideline.
I love this combo!

soonersponge
12/13/2010, 03:25 PM
The extra coaching spot is going to be saved for Hayes after he is fired from Cincy.

SoonerNutt
12/13/2010, 03:27 PM
Haipull sux

tommieharris91
12/13/2010, 03:30 PM
Fire Helpue

Breadburner
12/13/2010, 03:34 PM
TOrCh....Highpull.......

oudavid1
12/13/2010, 03:38 PM

We are a signal team, usually whoever calls the plays is up in the both.

So Joshy will be in the both.

Octavian
12/13/2010, 03:43 PM
Strong move by Stoops.

Josh will do a great job....have a ton of confidence in him.

JiminyChristmas
12/13/2010, 03:43 PM
"So Joshy will be in the both" - meaning both sideline and in the booth?

Only Mangino could pull that off...

hvhurricane
12/13/2010, 03:47 PM
We beat a couple of teams we should beat, given our talent level, and suddenly everything is status quo? I love Josh as much as the next guy, but if there was ever a time to go outside the program and bring in some new ideas, now is the time. I feel like "The Picker" saying this, but we need someone to come in and not be a yes man for Bob. I hope I am wrong, but this move will not lead to another NC.

Eielson
12/13/2010, 03:47 PM

Now you have to defend TWO offensive coordinators!

OUEngr1990
12/13/2010, 03:50 PM
It makes perfect sense. Huepel will do a good job calling plays, and Norvell will be on the sidelines yelling at the refs. That was cool, love his passion..

meoveryouxinfinity
12/13/2010, 03:51 PM
I thought this Shaggybevo post was funny

Wow... that took like, 30 seconds.
Meanwhile, on Day 18 in Austin, the Horns have four coaches on the staff, one of whom apparently is on his way to Colorado and one-to-three who depending on the insider are or aren't going to Florida.

http://www.shaggybevo.com/board/showthread.php/79053-OU-promotes-Josh-Heupel-and-receivers-coach-Jay-Norvell-to-Co-OC

LiveLaughLove
12/13/2010, 03:53 PM
Very very excited to hear that Hybl got the job! I mean Hypl..Hupple?

Heck, I'm excited he got the job! ;)

This sets him up to become HC when Bob retires in a decade or so.

My all time favorite Sooner is now our co-OC, while the rats jump ship deep down in the heart of texas. Life's good!

Here's to you Josh Heupel! Be yourself and don't ever read any OU football forums.

Widescreen
12/13/2010, 03:54 PM
I hope I am wrong, but this move will not lead to another NC.
Well, if you're right it won't be because picking Heupel was the wrong move. It will be because NC's are hard to win.

cccasooner2
12/13/2010, 03:54 PM
Counting the subject line, I've seen 3 different spellings of Heupel's name.

OK, but stop calling us Shirley.

Surely there are 6! different spellings, with Ephule being one of them.

WichitaSooner
12/13/2010, 03:59 PM
The extra coaching spot is going to be saved for Hayes after he is fired from Cincy.

I'll buy that....

hvhurricane
12/13/2010, 03:59 PM
Well, if you're right it won't be because picking Heupel was the wrong move. It will be because NC's are hard to win.

I am not saying Heupel will be a bad OC. I am saying the program as a whole needs a new set of ideas. comfortability over time leads to contemptment.

SoonerTank
12/13/2010, 04:01 PM
:confused: I trust Bob's decision. Now, who picks the first play from scrimmage during the bowl? Will they give Josh enough latitude to call his own plays? What will his first play be?:)

The
12/13/2010, 04:01 PM
I am not saying Heupel will be a bad OC. I am saying the program as a whole needs a new set of ideas. comfortability over time leads to contemptment.

Yeah, cuz winning sucks. We need to do something about that.

/HIV Hurricane is prolly the funniest username I have ever seen.

Leroy Lizard
12/13/2010, 04:04 PM
I see that, but it is just really surprising that Josh will be calling plays. I wasn't expecting that. I think he will be pretty good until he calls the first play that fails to score in the red zone.

FIFY

3rdgensooner
12/13/2010, 04:04 PM
I am not saying Heupel will be a bad OC. I am saying the program as a whole needs a new set of ideas. comfortability over time leads to contemptment.No, squelching ideas leads to contemptment. Heupel is an idea guy and he's being rewarded accordingly.

Leroy Lizard
12/13/2010, 04:06 PM
Everyone missed an obvious rip on the Horns. They think Major will go to Florida primarily because Mack wouldn't let him call plays.

usaosooner
12/13/2010, 04:07 PM
Everyone missed an obvious rip on the Horns. They think Major will go to Florida primarily because Mack wouldn't let him call plays.

yep Mack may not have faith in his boy :gary: :)

LiveLaughLove
12/13/2010, 04:16 PM

Josh was tutored by Leach and Mangino along with Wilson. I think we did OK with their offensive schemes NC-wise.

In the end, it's Bob and the personnel available that sets the tone for the type of offense that gets ran.

jdd12
12/13/2010, 04:19 PM
Good for Josh. What does this mean for Jay specifically? What does a Co-Offensive Coordinator do during the game?

westbrooke
12/13/2010, 04:22 PM
Not surprised by the co-OC tags, but definitely surprised that Heupel got the play-calling duties. I'm excited to see what he can do!

BoulderSooner79
12/13/2010, 04:23 PM
We beat a couple of teams we should beat, given our talent level, and suddenly everything is status quo? I love Josh as much as the next guy, but if there was ever a time to go outside the program and bring in some new ideas, now is the time. I feel like "The Picker" saying this, but we need someone to come in and not be a yes man for Bob. I hope I am wrong, but this move will not lead to another NC.

Dang, wish you had posted sooner. Bob consulted me this morning on the move and I gave him the go ahead. Guess we're stuck now.

soonercastor
12/13/2010, 04:23 PM
Thought personally that Norvell would be the play caller, If he were expecting the same he could also be a little disappointed, who knows. GL to both. I like the "hiring internally" philosophy.

BoulderSooner79
12/13/2010, 04:25 PM
:confused: I trust Bob's decision. Now, who picks the first play from scrimmage during the bowl? Will they give Josh enough latitude to call his own plays? What will his first play be?:)

Hand-off to DM into the line for 1 yard. What else could it be? :P

SpankyNek
12/13/2010, 04:25 PM
Good for Josh. What does this mean for Jay specifically? What does a Co-Offensive Coordinator do during the game?

In this incarnation, not much.

Really surprised by this move, only because neither (to my knowledge) have, in recent history, developed any kind of rushing game plan.

Much of KW's offense was centered around the zone block, with similar technique used during passing and running plays (to an extent) to throw off tendencies.

Wonder if we will see more downhill blocking in run schemes (Mangino) or more splits and scatter (Leach)

Octavian
12/13/2010, 04:26 PM

do you mean complacency?

do you know what you're talking about? be honest...

adoniijahsooner
12/13/2010, 04:27 PM
Love the move by Stoops. You have a guy calling plays who is well aware of what his QB's can do on the field.

SpankyNek
12/13/2010, 04:28 PM
do you mean complacency?

do you know what you're talking about? be honest...

I think he has contempt for perceived contentedness.

Contemptment.

silverwheels
12/13/2010, 04:29 PM
I am intrigued. Josh is still young, but he has proven to be a pretty smart guy. I guess Norvell's less-than-stellar resume as an OC kept him from being the sole coordinator.

Leroy Lizard
12/13/2010, 04:30 PM
Typical Longhorn take on this, courtesy of Shaggy:

Seems like a meh hire for OU. I figured with all the swirling going around right now they would have went for a relatively big name.

Like I said earlier, their entire program is infatuated with the number of stars attached to a name.

bigfatjerk
12/13/2010, 04:30 PM
I think Josh is being groomed to be our next head coach. Bob has been here 10 years. And probably won't be around after another 5-10 years or around there.

3rdgensooner
12/13/2010, 04:31 PM
I like this one from shaggy:

Perhaps he doesn't feel the need to hire a big name just to impress someone. Perhaps he has the balls to just say I see this guy every day and I know he's good, I'm going with him. Christ, it's ****ing 2002 all over again where I'm jealous of the way that chinless jerkoff gets things done.

SpankyNek
I think Josh is being groomed to be our next head coach. Bob has been here 10 years. And probably won't be around after another 5-10 years or around there.

I still think the job belongs to BV.

BoulderSooner79
Typical Longhorn take on this, courtesy of Shaggy:

Like I said earlier, their entire program is infatuated with the number of stars attached to a name.

I think they're skeered of what might happen in Dallas for a couple of years.

StoopTroup
They should hire Jason White as QB Coach.

Octavian
12/13/2010, 04:37 PM
I think he has contempt for perceived contentedness

ok well that's actually a fair point -- it can.

don't worry about that with JH -- he's always been a hard worker.

He's still young and has a lot to prove -- he won't be content with just sporting the title of OC. He's been excellent at everything he's done so far at OU.

boomermagic
12/13/2010, 04:39 PM
They should hire Jason White as QB Coach.

I like this !

BoulderSooner79
12/13/2010, 04:41 PM
ok well that's actually a fair point -- it can.

don't worry about that with JH -- he's always been a hard worker.

He's still young and has a lot to prove -- he won't be content with just sporting the title of OC. He's been excellent at everything he's done so far at OU.

^This. I see no reason to assume that Josh will not bring fresh ideas to the table.

Section 9
12/13/2010, 04:43 PM
Isn't Joey H. a grad assistant?

boomermagic
12/13/2010, 04:44 PM

I doubt there is any intentional head coach grooming going on.. I think Bob just needed an OC and decided to give Josh a chance. There are no guarantee's Josh may be good there and may not we'll see.. I would think If Bob was to decide to leave he would push for Brent to take the reins UNLESS one of his brothers wanted the job.

SoonerTank
12/13/2010, 04:46 PM

That's what I was hoping we would get away from. :D

BoulderSooner79
12/13/2010, 04:56 PM

That's what I was hoping we would get away from. :D

We need *some* continuity.

homerSimpsonsBrain
12/13/2010, 05:08 PM

Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

tcrb
12/13/2010, 05:12 PM
This makes me all kinds of happy (although we all knew it would be one of them)....cant wait to see how Josh calls the game.

opksooner
12/13/2010, 05:19 PM
In homage and tribute to K Wilson, on the first play from scrimmage next season, I think Heupel should call an off-tackle play for no gain.

phislammajamma
12/13/2010, 05:31 PM
I am intrigued. Josh is still young, but he has proven to be a pretty smart guy. I guess Norvell's less-than-stellar resume as an OC kept him from being the sole coordinator.

yeah. i wonder if norvell is truly OK with this....

MeMyself&Me
12/13/2010, 05:42 PM
yeah. i wonder if norvell is truly OK with this....

Yah, I'm kinda thinking Norvell is gone at the first opportunity now. I know if I was him and saw myself as OC material, I wouldn't stick around. I don't see how this can be good for Norvell except in making his resume look good for getting another job.

It's now Josh's show (the "co" name notwithstanding) and you got to think it would take a great HC coach opportunity to get Josh to move off of the spot Josh is in now cause if Josh is successful, Josh will likely get the first look when Stoops is done and if Josh is not successful, it will reflect on Norvell as well because of the "co" position title.

King Crimson
12/13/2010, 05:51 PM
In homage and tribute to K Wilson, on the first play from scrimmage next season, I think Heupel should call a bubble screen for no gain.

ftfy.

12/13/2010, 06:03 PM
Yah, I'm kinda thinking Norvell is gone at the first opportunity now. I know if I was him and saw myself as OC material, I wouldn't stick around. I don't see how this can be good for Norvell except in making his resume look good for getting another job.

It's now Josh's show (the "co" name notwithstanding) and you got to think it would take a great HC coach opportunity to get Josh to move off of the spot Josh is in now cause if Josh is successful, Josh will likely get the first look when Stoops is done and if Josh is not successful, it will reflect on Norvell as well because of the "co" position title.Might as well just go ahead and push Norvell out then, since he's been screwed over so badly?

opksooner
12/13/2010, 06:05 PM
@ King Crimson

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

King Crimson
12/13/2010, 06:08 PM
@ King Crimson

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

it's like everyone we play has the greatest tackling corners on planet earth. we NEVER break a tackle on the bubble screen.

Phil
12/13/2010, 06:26 PM

Ninjeeeeeeee!

AlboSooner
12/13/2010, 06:29 PM
I'm happy with this news. Norvell always struck me as too fired up. That position needs somebody with a cool head. but srsly fire Hajpëll

badger
12/13/2010, 06:36 PM
I don't think we need a new QB coach. Josh can totally still coach QBs. Didn't KW coach o-line and tight ends even as offensive coordinator?

toast
12/13/2010, 06:39 PM

It's now Josh's show (the "co" name notwithstanding) and you got to think it would take a great HC coach opportunity to get Josh to move off of the spot Josh is in now cause if Josh is successful, Josh will likely get the first look when Stoops is done and if Josh is not successful, it will reflect on Norvell as well because of the "co" position title.

What's the longest Norvell has stayed at any job? Not saying a person shouldn't have ambition, but he has showed a propensity to move around anyways.

NorCal Sooner
12/13/2010, 06:45 PM
I think this is a great decision by Stoops. I like Josh calling the plays.

hvhurricane
12/13/2010, 06:52 PM
Yeah, cuz winning sucks. We need to do something about that.

/HIV Hurricane is prolly the funniest username I have ever seen.

Yes, I did mean to write contentment. My fault. However, I am not even sure how to reply to this attack. I will let him think about it, though.

Again, JH may end up being a great OC. However, that doesn't mean that a new set of ideas wouldn't do a lot for this program right now. There needs to be something new added to the day in and day out preperation. There is an air of complacency with this program right now. Honestly, Bob can hire anyone he wants to, if he is willing to mix up his philosophy, but I don't see that happening.

soonerinabilene
12/13/2010, 07:05 PM
from shaggy:

Not really the big splash hire you'd expect to them make after the devastating loss of Greg Davis. Bob Stoops has never won a Big 12 Championship without Greg Davis.
i laughed.

BoulderSooner79
12/13/2010, 07:11 PM
Yes, I did mean to write contentment. My fault. However, I am not even sure how to reply to this attack. I will let him think about it, though.

Again, JH may end up being a great OC. However, that doesn't mean that a new set of ideas wouldn't do a lot for this program right now. There needs to be something new added to the day in and day out preperation. There is an air of complacency with this program right now. Honestly, Bob can hire anyone he wants to, if he is willing to mix up his philosophy, but I don't see that happening.

I don't see why you assume JH doesn't have a new set of ideas to try. I know I've often wanted to do things differently in my job, but ultimately have deferred to the boss. I can see wanting someone that has had a different set of influencers for even more variety - but it's not like our offense is broken. I'd love some tweaks here and there myself, but our offense has moved the ball and put points on the board. It was enough to win the conference, so I see no reason to revamp the whole thing.

instigator
12/13/2010, 07:22 PM
Are you disguising yourself as a Sooner fan, or are you openly Gator?

Not sure how to reply to this. My allegiance has never called in to question before.

instigator
12/13/2010, 07:26 PM
FIFY

Heh.

MeMyself&Me
12/13/2010, 07:33 PM
Might as well just go ahead and push Norvell out then, since he's been screwed over so badly?

I never said that he was screwed over at all. Just that he's got to know his future is not here if he wants to run an offense. I think he does and I think making him CO-OC is Stoops way of helping him do just that (but somewhere else) while in the mean time it helps out JH as having a guy with more experience there to help.

The only way I'd say he was screwed over is if he was promised the position in the past, which I doubt ever occurred.

TXBOOMER
12/13/2010, 07:46 PM
In reading the press release it looks like this is just for the Fiesta Bowl. Has something perm. been announced? I doubt they go into the new season with Co-OC's. Bob needs to name ONE.

MeMyself&Me
12/13/2010, 07:49 PM
I doubt they go into the new season with Co-OC's. Bob needs to name ONE.

Hasn't he done this before?

bigfatjerk
12/13/2010, 07:49 PM
In reading the press release it looks like this is just for the Fiesta Bowl. Has something perm. been announced? I doubt they go into the new season with Co-OC's. Bob needs to name ONE.

You aren't going to make a change for just one game.

silverwheels
12/13/2010, 07:51 PM
There's only ONE offensive coordinator.

King Crimson
12/13/2010, 07:54 PM
Sumlin and Wilson were "co-OC's" as I recall. Sumlin got his shot at Houston.

TXBOOMER
12/13/2010, 07:59 PM
Hasn't he done this before?

On defense yes. I don't think on O. I know we have had Assistant OC's. Norvell was Wilson's.

TXBOOMER
12/13/2010, 08:04 PM
You aren't going to make a change for just one game.

Had to name someone to call the plays within the current system for one game. Presser wasn't clear as to it being a permanent move. If it is....it is.

12/13/2010, 08:19 PM
Not sure how to reply to this. My allegiance has never called in to question before.You were the only one in the 30 for 30 thread to mention OU(and M DuPree) in conjunction with possible recruiting violations, and now casting gloom on Norvell being named co-offensive coordinator...and gator is part of your name. Just observing. If you're anti-Sooners, it's no big wup. This board has seen a lot of those type people.

yermom
12/13/2010, 08:35 PM
he hung out with us in the Tilted Kilt before Fiesta Bowl #1, i'm pretty sure you've met him

he's all Sooner :D

instigator
12/13/2010, 08:38 PM
You were the only one in the 30 for 30 thread to mention OU(and M DuPree) in conjunction with possible recruiting violations, and now casting gloom on Norvell being named co-offensive coordinator...and gator is part of your name. Just observing. If you're anti-Sooners, it's no big wup. This board has seen a lot of those type people.

I hope your joking. If you're not, you're a ****tard. We've met at the 06 fiesta bowl. I've been here for 7 years and I've never been anti sooner. I dont recall what I said in that thread but damn if I would be realistic to think it wasn't a possibility. I am sure some aggies that watched the SMU 30 for 30 and say that SMU was the only SWC team that cheated. :rolleyes:

12/13/2010, 08:55 PM
I hope your joking. If you're not, you're a ****tard. We've met at the 06 fiesta bowl. I've been here for 7 years and I've never been anti sooner. I dont recall what I said in that thread but damn if I would be realistic to think it wasn't a possibility. I am sure some aggies that watched the SMU 30 for 30 and say that SMU was the only SWC team that cheated. :rolleyes:haha, okay, but the name-calling doesn't become you. Sorry I don't remember meeting you. You can get your butt to PHX again this year, and re-introduce yourself. Maybe the Sooners can win a BCS bowl again...finally.

instigator
12/13/2010, 09:19 PM
haha, okay, but the name-calling doesn't become you. Sorry I don't remember meeting you. You can get your butt to PHX again this year, and re-introduce yourself. Maybe the Sooners can win a BCS bowl again...finally.

I am trying to get off work to get out to PHX again so maybe we can meet again. Sorry for the name calling but I get a little touchy about my soonerdom. :) I never even realized my name had a gator in it. If it were meant that way, it would have been spelled gaytor.

stoopified
12/13/2010, 09:27 PM
works for me

SoonerMarkVA
12/13/2010, 09:47 PM

Is this for real? If you're the OUI sponge, I certainly don't doubt you might know something about this. It's OK if I'm just gullible, but I'd be awfully excited if this were actually a possibility :)

TXBOOMER
12/13/2010, 09:47 PM
I am trying to get off work to get out to PHX again so maybe we can meet again. Sorry for the name calling but I get a little touchy about my soonerdom. :) I never even realized my name had a gator in it. If it were meant that way, it would have been spelled gaytor.

You know you worship baby teebow Gator lover. :D

prrriiide
12/13/2010, 09:52 PM
There's only ONE offensive coordinator.

There can be only one.

http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/thegeekfiles/Christopher%20Lambert%20star%20of%20Highlander.jpg

Will the title change from OC to The Laird of Owen Field?

SoonerMarkVA
12/13/2010, 09:57 PM
What's the longest Norvell has stayed at any job? Not saying a person shouldn't have ambition, but he has showed a propensity to move around anyways.

One of my first thoughts on hearing the news was if this came into play for Stoops. Last thing you want is put Norvell in as the main guy and have him leave in a year.

The other thing to consider: Heupel does have seniority over Norvell on the team. Obviously that's not the only consideration, but it's not like Norvell was passed over by a noob.

Personally, I think you'll see a really even split between the two, just like when Mike and Brent were together on D. They seemed to be very even in stature and responsibility, with Mike getting a slight edge. This will not be as one-sided of an arrangement as the KW/Norvell situation was.

SoonerMarkVA
12/13/2010, 10:06 PM

The COs have been pretty normal.

Leach, pass-game coordinator; Mangino, run-game coordinator
Mangino, run-game coordinator; Long, pass-game coordinator
Long, pass-game coordinator; Wilson, run-game coordinator
Wilson, run-game coordinator; Sumlin, pass-game coordinator

Only once Sumlin left did it seem to become Wilson-only, with Norvell having the token title of "asst OC". Yeah, you could always say one of those guys was primary and the other secondary, but they were, to my recollection, always referred to as Co-OCs.

I think this is a great move from Stoops. I expect the Co- label to stick until one of them moves on. Then we'll have to see.

Half a Hundred
12/13/2010, 10:06 PM
More Shaggy lulz:

It bothers me that OU just went ahead and made a decision like a functioning organization.

AlbqSooner
12/13/2010, 10:12 PM
From this part of the Spectator article:
"Stoops said he has no time-table in filling the staff vacancy created by Wilson’s departure."

I took it to mean that when the bowl is over and they have time to do their due diligence, they will be looking for an OC.

Co-coordinators may be nothing more than giving Josh the job, but assuring that both Josh and Norvell get the money for being a coordinator. Stoops has done this in the past.

bigfatjerk
12/13/2010, 10:14 PM
No they will be looking for a FB/TE coach.

Section 9
12/13/2010, 10:18 PM
^^ I took it to mean he would hire another coach for the team when he had the time and he found someone he wanted. I also took it to mean that Heupel and Norvel were the new OCs, but not for just the bowl game.

boomermagic
12/13/2010, 11:28 PM
No they will be looking for a FB/TE coach.

I think this is correct..

Soonerfan88
12/14/2010, 12:38 AM
Purely my opinion, just a hunch, no sources.....

Norvell wants to return to the NFL to coach receivers. His best way to do this is developing college players, getting them drafted and successful in the NFL. Scripting the beginning of each game and spending extra time studying opponent's defense to ensure you call a quality game takes a lot of time away from coaching receivers and Bob would probably ask him to step away from that if he was a full OC.

Being the primary play caller and working with QBs is not nearly as difficult and has some overlaps such as film study & recognizing defensive formations. Therefore, having Heupel be the play caller makes more sense. It also provides him with an experienced co-coordinator to continue his coaching tutelage.

ouflak
12/14/2010, 06:56 AM
I think Norvill is going to do a great job.

budbarrybob
12/14/2010, 09:30 AM
Bob made a decision in a great way!