PDA

View Full Version : Lamb...

royalfan5
12/13/2010, 01:00 PM
So we just got ourselves a Trader Joe's here in Lincoln, and they carry a couple of cuts of lamb. So I figure I should learn how to cook it. Any suggestions?

OULenexaman
12/13/2010, 01:03 PM
My real name is Radar and I'm mad at you....

King Crimson
12/13/2010, 01:05 PM
marinate overnight in red wine, garlic, bay leaf.......

2121Sooner
12/13/2010, 01:07 PM
What are the cuts that they carry?

royalfan5
12/13/2010, 01:19 PM
What are the cuts that they carry?

I don't remember off the top of my head.

2121Sooner
12/13/2010, 01:23 PM
At the end of the day the fail safe way to marinate it is to take garlic, chop it up and run the edge of the knife on it until you make it into a paste. You will need to put some kosher salt on it to really grind it up.

Then rub the shanks or chops with olive oil, the garlic paste, salt, pepper, and then fresh rosemary.

Let that rest and marinate for a few hours. Take it out and let it come to room temp, then grill it or roast it to a nice medium rare.

Then enjoy.......

virginiasooner
12/13/2010, 01:40 PM
Rack of lamb -- perfect for two. Cook it medium rare. Don't bother with any sort of breading. Make a good marinade. Learn how to french the ribs and clean off the excess fat from the top of the meat. Wrap the bones in foil so they don't burn. Invest in a digital meat thermometer and you can't go wrong. At the most, a rack of lamb should cook in about 20-25 minutes, depending on the weight.

As for lamb shanks, find a good osso bucco recipe. Do you have a Dutch oven or a slow cooker?

royalfan5
12/13/2010, 01:47 PM
I got a crock pot.

olevetonahill
12/13/2010, 01:56 PM
I aint AGGY so i aint got a clue .

Boarder
12/13/2010, 02:04 PM
No on the lamb. BUT, I do have advice on the charcoal. The best charcoal ever made in the entire world was called Rancher and was sold at Home Depot a few years ago. Toward the end of the year a bunch of people got wind that it was being discontinued and bought up all that HD had. (Now, one would think that would tip HD off as to the popularity, but noooo.) Anyway, for years now it has been basically unavailable. You could order a pallet from the company but shipping was high.

Now, the glorious news came across that Trader Joe's charcoal is actually repackaged Rancher. Same exact stuff that burns long, lights fast, and makes way less ash than the new Kingsford. So, if you're lucky enough to have a Trader Joes, you have access to the world's best charcoal. I'll be heading through Santa Fe this summer and plan to pick up 30 bags or so.

2121Sooner
12/13/2010, 02:11 PM
I got a crock pot.

Sandra Lee calls it a slow cooker..............so shall you!!!

http://funnydaze.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/sandra-lee-food-network-cook-funny-photo.jpg

virginiasooner
12/13/2010, 02:49 PM
Sandra Lee calls it a slow cooker..............so shall you!!!

http://funnydaze.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/sandra-lee-food-network-cook-funny-photo.jpg

But what does NY Gov-elect Andrew Cuomo call them? ;^)

SGA
12/13/2010, 05:35 PM
Get a case of Two Buck Chuck and it won't matter what kind of cut you buy or how you prepare it

p.s. Mammies

1890MilesToNorman
12/13/2010, 05:49 PM
I would axe Mary, she got lambs.

royalfan5
12/13/2010, 08:36 PM
So they have leg of lamb, and lamb tips. I think I will start with lamb tips because I don't think I can justify a whole leg just for myself.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/13/2010, 08:45 PM
forget the lamb and get their tomato and roasted red pepper soup. It's their best product.

http://cdn.ecohuddle.com/a/ab/ab0ab625_traderjoestomatosoup.jpg

AlbqSooner
12/13/2010, 09:10 PM
ROASTED LEG OF LAMB

5-6 lb Leg of lamb
1 cup burgundy wine (Gallo is good only for cooking so use it)
1 12 oz can tomato sauce
1 12 oz can water (this will also rinse out the remainder of the tomato sauce)
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
2tsp pepper
1TBS marjoram
1 large garlic clove
3TBS oregano

cut 3 slits in meat to the bone (Use a sharp knife)
cut garlic in 3 pieces and stuff a piece in each slit
put the meat in a GLASS baking dish
combine wine, tomato sauce and olive oil
brush entire leg with sauce, then pour remaining sauce over it.
combine spices and sprinkle over the meat
Bake 2 1/2 hours at 350 covered (foil is fine)
every 30 minutes or so, baste the leg (Spoon the juice and sauce in the bottom of the dish over the meat)

Enjoy

C O R N * D O G
12/13/2010, 09:26 PM
care to make a detour? i have a very serious question for fatties/former fatties/fatty experts taht needs to be addressed, but since this fvck bar of a forum won't let me start a thread of mine own, i'm posting my inquiry rite cheer, since it's food related and all.

here goes:

there are a handful of cows in my office that keep their desk drawers STUFFED full of snacks; they visit the breakroom for cokes throughout the day; eat full lunches; and generally seem to be munching on something throughout the day. and yet i constantly hear this refrain on a daily basis: ''gawd i'm sooo hungry"

HOW CAN THEY BE HUNGRY WEHN THEY'RE ALWAYS FULL?

C O R N * D O G
12/13/2010, 09:34 PM
btw i'm an expert at frenching a rack

AlbqSooner
12/13/2010, 09:49 PM
When they stretch out their stomachs by constantly filling them, it takes a lot more to fill them, which stretches them farther, which takes more to fill them, continue to at your own pace.

C O R N * D O G
12/13/2010, 09:52 PM
When they stretch out their stomachs by constantly filling them, it takes a lot more to fill them, which stretches them farther, which takes more to fill them, continue to at your own pace.

that sounds reasonable

SanJoaquinSooner
12/14/2010, 09:11 AM
It's their heads they are feeding, not their stomachs.

olevetonahill
12/14/2010, 09:13 AM
I would axe Mary, she got lambs.

Mary had a Little Lamb

Freaked the hell out of her .OB-GYN