PDA

View Full Version : New Big Ten logo

badger
12/13/2010, 12:50 PM
Hello there, generic:
http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/campus-rivalry/2010/12/13/bigtenx-inset-community.jpg

More info here. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=231&articleid=20101213_231_0_COLUMB318528)

85sooners
12/13/2010, 12:51 PM
:confused:

Fraggle145
12/13/2010, 12:52 PM
They also suck at naming things:

http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/big10/graphics/auto/divisions-horiz.jpg

How ****ing ghey is that?

Fraggle145
12/13/2010, 12:54 PM
Looks to me like tOSU kinda got ****ed on the division break. Meatchicken gets Iowa and tOSU got Wisky and Penn St

badger
12/13/2010, 12:54 PM
I wonder if Meat Chicken fans are fuming that their school song declares them "the leaders" and they aren't in the "leaders" division.

Or perhaps they are going to alter their song :D

royalfan5
12/13/2010, 12:57 PM

Keeping the informal X and O divisions would have been better than those names. Also, **** Iowa. (I figure I need to get in the habit of saying that now)

Fraggle145
12/13/2010, 01:02 PM
http://myespn.go.com/s/conversations/show/story/5915147

Heh, look at the comments...

Now instead of North/South or East/West it will be the division with Michigan or the division with tOSU. Nobody is going to remember anything else...

Penguin
12/13/2010, 01:07 PM
Can't wait for Mushberger to announce "And here are the Big Ten Division Leaders, um, Leaders..."

CarolinaSoonerFan
12/13/2010, 01:44 PM
Can't wait for Mushberger to announce "And here are the Big Ten Division Leaders, um, Leaders..."

Really, I could NEVER see Mushberger getting anything tongue tied. Demarco Parker : )

colinreturn
12/13/2010, 01:45 PM
that is so embarrassing. legends? leaders? seriously?

SoonerJack
12/13/2010, 01:52 PM
How does Minnesota wind up in the Legends division? They need a Losers division.

3rdgensooner
12/13/2010, 01:52 PM
Will everyone get a participation ribbon?

Fraggle145
12/13/2010, 01:53 PM
The logo is a block "Big Ten" which includes an homage to the original 10 members with those numerals embedded in the last two letters of the word Big.

I.E., **** you Nebraska and Penn St.

Sooner_Bob
How does Minnesota wind up in the Legends division? They need a Losers division.

:D

mgsooner
The fact that they're still going to call it the Big Ten is one of the most absurd and ridiculous things ever.

OULenexaman
12/13/2010, 01:58 PM
not 1 single positive "I like it" reaction....me thinks this is short lived.

budbarrybob
12/13/2010, 02:04 PM
Ok, Ok, now where's the Junior High submission?

wahoorob
12/13/2010, 02:06 PM
I'm thinking these are much better choices:

http://www.sportspickle.com/news/541/proposed-logos-for-the-12-team-big-ten

Especially THIS one:

http://i.imgur.com/bVJvK.png

SoonerStormchaser
12/13/2010, 02:08 PM
Looks to me like tOSU kinda got ****ed on the division break. Meatchicken gets Iowa and tOSU got Wisky and Penn St

Good...those ****ers deserve it!

badger
12/13/2010, 02:13 PM

What WOULD have happened had the divisions been in place this year (without Nebbish, let's assume they are still MIA)

1- Wisconsin defeats tOSU, wins Leaders division.
2- Michigan State only loses to Iowa, but Iowa keeps losing, so MSU takes Legends division.
3- MSU defeats Wisconsin in Big Ten championship (let's assume that the regular season game reflects the championship game, even though we all know that's not necessarily true)
4- Michigan State plays TCU in the Rose Bowl
5- tOSU, by virtue of not having to play any championship game, defaults into the at-large BCS berth.

:rolleyes: Oh, those Buckeyes luck into everything

The
12/13/2010, 02:16 PM
Hey, at least the Michigan/Ohio State rivalry is officially dead now.

OUSanders
12/13/2010, 02:25 PM

HaHa! I agree, isn't that where Nagurski played??

badger
12/13/2010, 02:28 PM

Nope, I'm 99.99999999 percent sure that an annual cross-division game is written into the new conference arrangement, much like the Pac 12 is preserving the yearly matchups between all four cali schools

SoonerPr8r
12/13/2010, 02:58 PM
From the comment section on ESPN for the story on this:

Should've split it up by mascot type

Animals: Michigan, PSU, Iowa, Wis, NW, and Minn
Non-Animals: OSU, Nebraska, Indiana, Illinois, MSU, and Purdue

OULenexaman
12/13/2010, 03:01 PM
Ants Division....

Pi$$ Ants Division...

The
12/13/2010, 03:16 PM
Nope, I'm 99.99999999 percent sure that an annual cross-division game is written into the new conference arrangement, much like the Pac 12 is preserving the yearly matchups between all four cali schools

And we couldn't do that with Nebraska in 96? This conference just sucks all the way around.

Octavian
12/13/2010, 03:35 PM
The logo is a block "Big Ten" which includes an homage to the original 10 members with those numerals embedded in the last two letters of the word Big.

The design firm Pentagram came up with the new logo. And, no, the conference never seriously considered putting a 12 in its logo...

Why wouldn't they put a 12 in their new logo when they put an 11 in their last one?

So...they want to pay homage to the original ten members....twice. So yeah, thanks for the checks, Nebraska and Penn State.

Also, with the B10 Ten's new yearly trophies.....Nebraska's rich history and tradition gets acknowledged exactly once.

Game Trophies

Stagg-Paterno Championship Trophy Amos Alonzo Stagg, Chicago Joe
Paterno, Penn State

Grange-Griffin Championship Game MVP Harold Edward "Red" Grange, Illinois Archie Griffin, Ohio State

Postgraduate Awards

Ford-Kinnick Leadership Award Gerald R. Ford, Michigan Nile Kinnick, Iowa

Dungy-Thompson Humanitarian Award Tony Dungy, Minnesota Anthony Thompson, Indiana

Annual Awards/Trophies

Graham-George Offensive Player of the Year Otto Graham, Northwestern Eddie George, Ohio State

Nagurski-Woodson Defensive Player of the Year Bronislau "Bronko" Nagurski, Minnesota Charles Woodson, Michigan

Hayes-Schembechler Coach of the Year Wayne Woodrow "Woody" Hayes, Ohio State Glenn Edward "Bo" Schembechler, Michigan

Thompson-Randle El Freshman of the Year Darrell Thompson, Minnesota Antwaan Randle El, Indiana

Rimington-Pace Offensive Lineman of the Year Dave Rimington, Nebraska Orlando Pace, Ohio State

Smith-Brown Defensive Lineman of the Year Charles Aaron "Bubba" Smith, Michigan State Courtney Brown, Penn State

Griese-Brees Quarterback of the Year Bob Griese, Purdue Drew Brees, Purdue

Ameche-Dayne Running Back of the Year Alan Ameche, Wisconsin Ron Dayne, Wisconsin

Tatum-Woodson Defensive Back of the Year Jack Tatum, Ohio State Rod Woodson, Purdue

Butkus-Fitzgerald Linebacker of the Year Dick Butkus, Illinois Pat Fitzgerald, Northwestern

Richter-Howard Receiver of the Year Pat Richter, Wisconsin Desmond Howard, Michigan

Kwalick-Clark Tight End of the Year Ted Kwalick, Penn State Dallas Clark, Iowa

Bakken-Andersen Kicker of the Year Jim Bakken, Wisconsin Morten Andersen, Michigan State

Eddleman-Fields Punter of the Year Thomas Dwight "Dike" Eddleman, Illinois Brandon Fields, Michigan State

No recognition in the logo? One single Husker in the whole conference trophy line-up?

They play for the Stagg-Paterno Award and hope their coach can live up the Schembechler-Hayes level of excellence.....

All their soulz belongs to the B10 Ten.

XFollower
12/13/2010, 03:36 PM
Nobody told the graphics guy that the have 12 teams now?

SpankyNek
12/13/2010, 03:37 PM
HaHa! I agree, isn't that where Nagurski played??

Minnesota deserves the moniker of "Legend" IMO.

Outside of Ohio St. and Michigan, Minnesota has the most Big 10 titles (17).

Of course none have come since the late sixties.

Doesnt "legend" lend itself to be closer in meaning to "Has been" than "Leader?"

MR2-Sooner86
12/13/2010, 03:38 PM
That logo is ****ing awful. Sure wish I was the guy who get paid the big bucks to design that monstrosity.

Penguin
12/13/2010, 03:54 PM
I should get the Griese-Brees Award after I eat at Taco Bell.

badger
12/13/2010, 03:57 PM
And we couldn't do that with Nebraska in 96? This conference just sucks all the way around.

In retrospect that sounds good, but you have to remember that we were one of the first conferences to try the 12-team thing.

I was only 13 in 1996, and would have been even younger when this deal was getting in place, so I don't know how it came about. However, I'd have to say that they were looking to make the north and the south divisions as even-handed as possible based on what teams they had at that point.

North would get powerhouses Nebraska and Kansas State, with some potential from Colorado to challenge soon.

South would get powerhouses Texas A&M and Texas, with some potential for Oklahoma to eventually show some life down the road.

And in the process, lost the traditional OU-Nebraska game.

Since that, conferences that expand never make that mistake again, so you won't see the Big Ten dropping Michigan-Ohio State, you won't see the Pac 12 dropping their California school annual rivalry games.

Everyone learned from the Big 12's mistake. Whether anyone remembers what a mistake the WAC made by expanding to 16 remains to be seen

Octavian
12/13/2010, 04:03 PM
What the league tried to do was create a link back to its pre-Penn State logo with the B-I-G 1-0, substituting the 'I' in Big as the No. 1. Asked about the 'G' looking like the No. 6, which feeds into the conspiracy theory that the Big Ten eventually will expand to 16 teams, Delany said, "We were thinking 10, not 16."

espin blog (http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/21059/thoughts-on-division-names-logo-trophies)

So there it is -- right from Delaney. They really want to celebrate their pre-Penn St. era.

They added a new team and then went out of their way not to acknowledge them.

The B10 Ten.

Not even the mean old Big XII hid Nebraska in the closet.

Octavian
12/13/2010, 04:12 PM
In retrospect that sounds good, but you have to remember that we were one of the first conferences to try the 12-team thing.

I was only 13 in 1996, and would have been even younger when this deal was getting in place, so I don't know how it came about. However, I'd have to say that they were looking to make the north and the south divisions as even-handed as possible based on what teams they had at that point.

North would get powerhouses Nebraska and Kansas State, with some potential from Colorado to challenge soon.

South would get powerhouses Texas A&M and Texas, with some potential for Oklahoma to eventually show some life down the road.

Since that, conferences that expand never make that mistake again, so you won't see the Big Ten dropping Michigan-Ohio State, you won't see the Pac 12 dropping their California school annual rivalry games.

Everyone learned from the Big 12's mistake. Whether anyone remembers what a mistake the WAC made by expanding to 16 remains to be seen

Good points, badger...but I bet that, over time, Michigan-Nebraska and Ohio St-Penn St. really grow in importance.

Michigan-tOSU will continue to be strong, but with a CCG, the goal for every program immediately becomes to win the division. Over time, those division rivalries will grow in significance to their fans, boosters, coaching staffs, players -- just because of what's on the line. In a generation, Michigan-Ohio St. won't be what it's always been like.

And the first time we have a rematch between Mich-tOSU in back-to-back weeks (end of year and again in the CCG) it'll seriously dilute the significance of that regular season game.

Being in different divisions will change the nature of Mich-tOSU despite playing it annually.

TopDawg
12/13/2010, 04:13 PM
What I don't get is why the need to make the "IG" look like a "10" when you're still frickin calling it the Big frickin TEN!

If they were changing it to BIG TWELVE, then I could see how a shout-out to the past (i.e. - making the "IG" look like a ten") would be kinda cool. But you're still calling it the Big Ten. Isn't THAT enough of a celebration of the past?

Octavian
12/13/2010, 04:17 PM
The B10 Ten

Motto: Just the Ten of Us and These Two Other Suckers

Octavian
12/13/2010, 04:19 PM
wait, strike that --

Five Leaders, Five Legends, and These Two Other Suckers

ba-dump-booomp

Penguin
12/13/2010, 04:19 PM
Math is hard.

melrosebeach
12/13/2010, 04:22 PM
I guess Uppers - Downers divisions wouldn't fly

jdd12
12/13/2010, 04:24 PM
That's an awful logo. Why did they feel the need to name every award after two different players?

Veritas
12/13/2010, 04:28 PM
Yup, that logo blows. The new Pac10 one is way betterer:

http://www.csindy.com/images/blogimages/2010/09/24/1285351709-new-pac-10-logo-f21e61eab83c7699.jpg

TopDawg
12/13/2010, 04:34 PM
They said that they couldn't go East/West or North/South because the split didn't really lend itself to that. Based on my glance at the map, they ended up with

Iowa (West or North)
Michigan (East or North)
Michigan State (East or North)
Minnesota (West or North)
Nebraska (West or North)
Northwestern (West or South)

and

Illinois (West or South)
Indiana (East or South)
Ohio State (East or South)
Penn State (East or South)
Purdue (East or South)
Wisconsin (West or North)

(Is that right? I may be off on some of them depending on their location within the state, but I think that's pretty close.)

Switch Michigan and Michigan State for Illinois and Wisconsin and you have East/West (and keep Michigan/Ohio State in same division) or Switch Northwestern and Wisconsin and you have North/South.

I know there were other considerations to be made when deciding on divisions, but I'm curious what other things were more compelling.

silverwheels
12/13/2010, 04:37 PM
The B10 Ten really screwed this up, starting with the division alignments.

badger
12/13/2010, 04:44 PM
Nah, the division allignments mean that there's powers on both sides, which is good. The bad thing is the crappy names and the crappy logo.

And yeah, I like the Pac 10 (soon to be 12) logo. I can see why they've put it on every football field and uniform this year. Good branding

silverwheels
12/13/2010, 04:48 PM
You can't separate teams based on "power". Look at how that turned out for the ACC. They split up FSU and Miami so they could play each other every year and then potentially meet in the ACC title game, which hasn't happened yet. I still don't even know who is in what division in the ACC, and even most fans of schools in the ACC don't. It's a bad idea.

A simple switch of Wisconsin and Northwestern would yield a pretty good split geographically. North or Northwest and East or Southeast.

badger
12/13/2010, 04:52 PM
If it doesn't work out, I guess there's no reason they can't switch it up later. They could have for the Big 12, but never felt compelled to. Regardless of how many times OU wins it, there has been a pretty good amount of parity between the two divisions when you omit Oklahoma in football.

Let's face it - OU would win the Big 12 regardless of what division they're in. Take OU out, and it's 4-4. Nebraska (2), Colorado and KSU versus Texas (3) and Texas A&M.

Scott D
12/13/2010, 05:25 PM
As for the splits, there is one cross division "rivalry" game that will be maintained. And no the Big 12 couldn't accomplish it, but what do you expect when they had one of our worst AD's in the higher ups there early on, and Bend Over Beebe in charge now.

49r
12/13/2010, 05:58 PM
Minnesota deserves the moniker of "Legend" IMO.

Outside of Ohio St. and Michigan, Minnesota has the most Big 10 titles (17).

Of course none have come since the late sixties.

Doesnt "legend" lend itself to be closer in meaning to "Has been" than "Leader?"

According to Wikipedia, they hold 18 conference titles and they lay claim to 6 national titles. (5 pre WWII and one in 1960)

49r
12/13/2010, 05:59 PM
http://mgoblog.com/content/welcome-successories-conference

heh.

TopDawg
12/13/2010, 06:18 PM
What I don't get is why the need to make the "IG" look like a "10" when you're still frickin calling it the Big frickin TEN!

If they were changing it to BIG TWELVE, then I could see how a shout-out to the past (i.e. - making the "IG" look like a ten") would be kinda cool. But you're still calling it the Big Ten. Isn't THAT enough of a celebration of the past?

I like the way this guy put it better (from the page 49r linked to):

In efforts to pay homage to the original ten teams, Pentagram decides to hide a subliminal ten in the text of the new Big Ten logo. Which now has twelve teams. But is still called the Big Ten. In homage to the original ten teams.

My problem is this:

Why, goddammit? Hiding a subliminal number in a logo whose name perceptibly displays the same number is REDUNDANT. KILL ME.

Radar's Left Hand
12/13/2010, 07:11 PM

Somehow the furtadas in the SEC figured it out.

Flagstaffsooner
12/13/2010, 07:18 PM
The Big 10 stepped in their own poop again.

silverwheels
12/13/2010, 07:25 PM

The WAC was made up of a bunch of smaller schools that really weren't very prestigious spread out over a huge amount of land, and most of the money for the entire conference was made by only a few schools. A 16-team superconference today (Big 16, Pac-16) might be as spread out, but it will have more cash cows. Different scenarios.

MichiganSooner
12/13/2010, 07:30 PM

Look back at history. Minnesota used to be a Big 10 power. The game between Michigan and Minnesota is a trophy game to this day.

MichiganSooner
12/13/2010, 07:31 PM

They will play every year in regular season.

Flagstaffsooner
12/13/2010, 07:32 PM
Look back at history. Minnesota used to be a Big 10 power. The game between Michigan and Minnesota is a trophy game to this day.And so is Harvard Yale.

mdklatt
12/13/2010, 08:08 PM

It could be worse. If they took the ACC's lead it would be the "Big" and "Ten" divisions.

70sooner
12/13/2010, 08:44 PM
that is so embarrassing. legends? leaders? seriously?

gay comes to mind.....

LRoss
12/13/2010, 09:02 PM
You can't separate teams based on "power". Look at how that turned out for the ACC. They split up FSU and Miami so they could play each other every year and then potentially meet in the ACC title game, which hasn't happened yet. I still don't even know who is in what division in the ACC, and even most fans of schools in the ACC don't. It's a bad idea.

This. The balance of power tends to shift and is difficult to predict. I know in many ways college football is more "stable" than many other sports, but in the long run this has the strong potential to look really stupid (yes, like the logo, as everybody seems to agree).

SoonerStud615
12/13/2010, 09:46 PM
I know none of you probably care, but when I heard that Pentagram did the logo, I got really excited (I'm a graphic design student). Pentagram is one the best design firms in the world. However, this logo sucks. Epic disappointment.

bluedogok
12/13/2010, 11:11 PM
The Rust Belt Conference would have been much more appropriate. They could have divisions using the names of dead auto marques.

Soonerfan88
12/14/2010, 12:55 AM
Listening to the Brian Kenny show as I drove home tonight & he took comments on this and got the perfect description of their divisional names.

They sound like stupid teams you would be divided into during one of those horrendously non-motivational company motivational team-building seminars.

Sooner_Tuf
12/14/2010, 03:31 AM
Would feel weird to be in the Legends Division when you haven't played a conference game and have zero conference history.

Think of all the good times the Huskers will have talking about the game of the century that the Big 10 members have never heard of. They can well it was us vs umm errr none of you.

Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State Fans will not recognize their past achievements. They will be FNGs for a few decades. If they wanted more respect they went down a bad road to get it.

John Kochtoston
12/14/2010, 04:44 AM

Bud Wilkinson...

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2008/1013/pg2_ap_bwilkinson1_200.jpg

...calls BS on your shenanigans.

Leroy Lizard
12/14/2010, 04:53 AM
They need to name their divisions after a real winner, someone with integrity, class, and good looks.

I suggest the Leroys and the Lizards.

sendbaht
12/14/2010, 05:57 AM
it is gay

TopDawg
12/14/2010, 10:43 AM
It could be worse. If they took the ACC's lead it would be the "Big" and "Ten" divisions.

That wouldn't be worse.