PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Broyles is coming back...

Soonermagik
12/13/2010, 10:51 AM
No, I don't have anything official. I just know a few inside people and he's openly said he's coming back. He's worried about the potential lockout. Even if the lockout doesn't happen he would be a lower rated guy. In fact, he would likely not be a 1st round guy. This is going to be one of the strongest drafts for WR's in a long time.

If he comes back he has a chance to be one of the top guys next year. This really excites me about how good this offense could be. Not to mention, Dejuan Miller will be back next year. Plus, the highly touted WR recruit that's coming in.

AlboSooner
12/13/2010, 10:55 AM
Many people are saying the same thing. We should have a very good offense next year. It seems at times that Broyls needs to be stronger off the line, when the DB is trying to jam him.

SoonerMarkVA
12/13/2010, 11:17 AM
If Broyles can spend the extra year putting on some size, he will hugely help his stock at the next level. He's already got the rest of the package. Smart move on his part, IMO.

SoonerAtKU
12/13/2010, 11:20 AM
If he can have a full, injury-free year next year, he's going to make himself a lot of money.

picasso
12/13/2010, 11:24 AM
He doesn't need to gain too much weight. The kid can already bench around 340.
There's a place for guys his size in the league.

85sooners
12/13/2010, 11:34 AM
:pop:

sooneron
12/13/2010, 11:38 AM
I'll believe it when David1 is giving it up to himself for breaking this news...

BoulderSooner79
12/13/2010, 11:40 AM
Ryan will go as high as a guy his size can go - this year or next. The NFL has shown they don't care how many guys are at a position, they will draft according to the value they perceive. MK looked to go high because there were few receivers that season, but the teams reacted by not drafting any receiver in the 1st round. I hope he comes back for a potential title run; there is never a guarantee, but those are special times. It would be great to have him around as a mentor to the younger guys too.

sperry
12/13/2010, 11:43 AM
I hope he comes back. That being said, he doesn't need to worry about the lockout. The players will get something resolved, they can't afford not to. His stock also isn't going to improve, so his position basically depends on WRs in the draft this year vs. next. The guys that would certainly go ahead of Broyles this year are Jones, Green, and Blackmon. It remains to be seen what choice all of those guys make. In next years draft, you will have Alshon Jeffery, plus any of those guys who come back, plus anyone who emerges on the scene as a big time prospect.

In the end, I think it's about neutral for him. I think this years WR class will be slightly better, but you have to balance that against the possibility of an injury. Basically I think it just boils down to how much fun he's having in school vs. how much he wants to be a millionaire immediately.

TXBOOMER
12/13/2010, 11:56 AM
I listened to a Wes Welker interview and he said he had to take weight off to make it in the league. The extra half step of quickness was much more important than 10 pounds.

BoulderSooner79
12/13/2010, 12:15 PM
I listened to a Wes Welker interview and he said he had to take weight off to make it in the league. The extra half step of quickness was much more important than 10 pounds.

I believe that. Ryan is extremely strong for his size and putting on a few lbs is not going to help him out muscle people; he needs to out quick them. The size that could help him is height and reach and I don't see that happening unless he has an extremely late growth spurt.

madillsoonerfan5353
12/13/2010, 12:48 PM
I'll believe what RB85 is going to do when I hear it from his or Stoops mouth. I love RB85, he has been an ALLSOME SOONER, but this is the same kid that switched between OU and OsU two or three times, before he committed to us.

:gary:

Soonermagik
12/13/2010, 12:49 PM
I'll believe what RB85 is going to do when I hear it from his or Stoops mouth. I love RB85, he has been an ALLSOME SOONER, but this is the same kid that switched between OU and OsU two or three times, before he committed to us.

He also stole gas, but kids do grow up. ;)

DarrellZero
12/13/2010, 01:07 PM
I'll believe it when David1 is giving it up to himself for breaking this news...

Heh.

RahOkU
12/13/2010, 01:10 PM
So many people on the various boards were just convinced that RB would be gone off to the NFL. Maybe that will still happen, but I never believed it would for a variety of reason. Primarily because one more season, IMO, will add to his draft stock. But also, like Sam Bradford, I believe RB is enjoying his collegiate experience. Plus, one more season as a Sooner and he will likely lock up most of the receiver type records for a very long time. Nothing better than to insure your legacy will live on.......

instigator
12/13/2010, 01:17 PM
Doesn't Desean Jackson weigh 168lbs? I realize he isn't a slot guy like Broyles, but there are plenty of smaller guys in the league these days. They all have one thing in common: quickness. Broyles needs that more than more strength.

tcrb
12/13/2010, 01:26 PM
Rumor and speculation. We will not know for sure who is/who is not coming back until Jan 15. Until then, it doesn't matter what you heard or who you heard it from...nothing is solid until after the deadline. I love these threads though....everyone knows what's best for the players...who needs to stay and who is taking a chance if they do stay. This year's draft is going to be better/worse than next years, etc. Good humor for sure.

Aries
12/13/2010, 01:36 PM
^^^This^^^

Please get back to me when it's official.

btb916
12/13/2010, 04:36 PM
Rumor and speculation. We will not know for sure who is/who is not coming back until Jan 15. Until then, it doesn't matter what you heard or who you heard it from...nothing is solid until after the deadline. I love these threads though....everyone knows what's best for the players...who needs to stay and who is taking a chance if they do stay. This year's draft is going to be better/worse than next years, etc. Good humor for sure.

Nothing wrong with a little speculation.

silverwheels
12/13/2010, 04:39 PM

Yeah, I'll just wait for him to post what he knows.

KC//CRIMSON
12/13/2010, 04:40 PM

I got a text at 6:30am this morning about Heupel and Norvell.

Had to give it up to myself......

badger
12/13/2010, 04:42 PM
I would be worried about declaring pro in a year of uncertainty at the next level like this one. You have no choice if you're a senior, but if you have college eligibility left, you better stay on unless the NFL and players union find common ground... and I'm surprised they haven't!

Common ground = Players continue to play in the only big-money professional football league while owners continue to many tons of money off of the most popular sports league in America.

In fact, I would cheer for the Packers even if every single current player was on strike and they brought in replacements... almost like cheering for OU mens basketball this year. Yeah, there aren't any All-Americans, but dang it, it's OU and I love OU.

thecynic
12/13/2010, 06:53 PM
My guess is he goes pro. If he does, power to him. I would if I were him. It's all about making money. Why put off making millions for another year? :texan:

Soonermagik
12/13/2010, 07:20 PM
My guess is he goes pro. If he does, power to him. I would if I were him. It's all about making money. Why put off making millions for another year? :texan:

Because he will be taken higher next year, which equates to a lot more money. Plus, the earlier you're taken the more guaranteed money you make.

Sooner Suzie
12/13/2010, 07:26 PM
I sure hope those "inside people" aren't the same "inside people" that said Stoops goin' to UF was a done deal. There sure are a lot of those insiders and they always have something controversial to say - often contradictory.

That reminds me - I got a neighbor whose uncle's friend swears that ...

TXBOOMER
12/13/2010, 07:51 PM
IF RB85 and TL28 come back we will be GDGOOD!

btb916
12/13/2010, 08:16 PM

We said that in 2009 too. I think the saying goes, don't kill your chickens before they hatch. Unless you like eggs. Something like that at least.

In fact, I would cheer for the Packers even if every single current player was on strike and they brought in replacements... almost like cheering for OU mens basketball this year. Yeah, there aren't any All-Americans, but dang it, it's OU and I love OU.

This is odd to me. Players come and go, true, but in the end, I am on the players' side in a dispute. Even more so when the owners and league want to expand the season and pay the players less. I wouldn't not root because the players weren't as good, but because I don't think the owners are doing the franchise or league any good.

BoulderSooner79
12/13/2010, 08:23 PM
We said that in 2009 too. I think the saying goes, don't kill your chickens before they hatch. Unless you like eggs. Something like that at least.

We all didn't say that - some of us said we had an O-line to rebuild. But we all did say (okay, at least me) that regardless of how good we are, it was going to be a pleasure to watch Sam play for 1 more season at OU. :( :(

We have much more depth coming back than in '09, but if Broyles and T.Lewis decide to stay, it would be a huge boost. But I like chicken and eggs.

webfoot
12/13/2010, 08:54 PM

Weren't you and I discussing TL28 being replaced by CN45 thus making OU#1?;)

tcrb
12/13/2010, 09:10 PM
Because he will be taken higher next year, which equates to a lot more money. Plus, the earlier you're taken the more guaranteed money you make.

And you know this how?

85sooners
12/13/2010, 09:33 PM

Soonermagik
12/13/2010, 09:44 PM
And you know this how?

Because players are given draft status notifications to know where they will likely go. He was told there were several guys ahead of him. Guys like AJ Green, Julio Jones, Jeffries etc.. Blackmon would be ahead of him if he came out too. He will likely be the front runner the following year assuming no on passes him. Hence, it's better to be the 1st receiver $ wise then the 4th or 5th guy. In a heavy receiver draft he's likely to slide even further.

It's not to say that small guys can't be successful in the NFL. We all know what Desean Jackson and Wes Welker can do. However, teams really value size i.e Randy Moss, Dez Bryant, Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson etc.. You have to remember that Desean Jackson amazed people with his speed. Broyles is fast, but he's not Desean Jackson fast.

With that said, they really like big guys, because they can throw the ball up high and they can go get it. Shorter receivers will always play second fiddle to taller receivers if everything else is equal.

TXBOOMER
12/13/2010, 09:57 PM
Weren't you and I discussing TL28 being replaced by CN45 thus making OU#1?;)

Let me have some depth DDUB. With AB12 back in the mix I am loving TL28. I think CN25 has a helluva future.

oudavid1
12/13/2010, 10:02 PM
No, I don't have anything official. I just know a few inside people and he's openly said he's coming back. He's worried about the potential lockout. Even if the lockout doesn't happen he would be a lower rated guy. In fact, he would likely not be a 1st round guy. This is going to be one of the strongest drafts for WR's in a long time.

If he comes back he has a chance to be one of the top guys next year. This really excites me about how good this offense could be. Not to mention, Dejuan Miller will be back next year. Plus, the highly touted WR recruit that's coming in.

jealous :D

oudavid1
12/13/2010, 10:05 PM

chances are, i want no anything about young Ryan. But thanks for the sarcasm anyway.

Yeah, I'll just wait for him to post what he knows.

:D

I got a text at 6:30am this morning about Heupel and Norvell.

Had to give it up to myself......

lol i knew in 1995, thread coming soon.

StiffArmTrophy
12/13/2010, 11:55 PM
Because players are given draft status notifications to know where they will likely go. He was told there were several guys ahead of him. Guys like AJ Green, Julio Jones, Jeffries etc.. Blackmon would be ahead of him if he came out too. He will likely be the front runner the following year assuming no on passes him. Hence, it's better to be the 1st receiver $ wise then the 4th or 5th guy. In a heavy receiver draft he's likely to slide even further.

It's not to say that small guys can't be successful in the NFL. We all know what Desean Jackson and Wes Welker are great. However, teams really value size i.e Randy Moss, Dez Bryant, Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson etc.. You have to remember that Desean Jackson amazed people with his speed. Broyles is fast, but he's not Desean Jackson fast.

With that said, they really like big guys, because they can throw the ball up high and they can go get it. Shorter receivers will always play second fiddle to taller receivers if everything else is equal.

Don't you think there will just be another few big recievers that step in front of him? After all you are basing all this on size, why wouldn't it happen next year also if he did come back? I think that Broyles stock is as high as it will get. If he's ok with risking injury to come back then that's awesome! If not he needs to take the money and go be a playmaker in the NFL.

Soonermagik
12/14/2010, 08:15 AM
Don't you think there will just be another few big recievers that step in front of him? After all you are basing all this on size, why wouldn't it happen next year also if he did come back? I think that Broyles stock is as high as it will get. If he's ok with risking injury to come back then that's awesome! If not he needs to take the money and go be a playmaker in the NFL.

It's size and talent. That's why I said if everything else is equal he would be behind those guys. The following year there won't likely be as many experienced tall and talented guys. Sure, there may be one, but not 4 or 5. If guys at the next level are telling him it would likely benefit him to wait then he's doing the right thing.

Soonermagik
12/14/2010, 08:20 AM
jealous :D

Yes. :D

CrimsonRez
12/14/2010, 09:32 AM
Im so sick and tired of "inside sources"

tcrb
12/14/2010, 09:37 AM

It's not to say that small guys can't be successful in the NFL. We all know what Desean Jackson and Wes Welker can do. However, teams really value size i.e Randy Moss, Dez Bryant, Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson etc.. You have to remember that Desean Jackson amazed people with his speed. Broyles is fast, but he's not Desean Jackson fast.

I see. So, in reality this is just your own personal speculation. For a moment there I thought you might be an NFL scout or a confidant of Mel Kiper. :rolleyes:

gaylordfan1
12/14/2010, 09:47 AM
I think T. Lewis is gone. But, I do think it's about 50/50 right now with Broyles. I just hope he makes an informed decision. The Bradford and Gresham injuries were just crazy.... i mean crazy to happen all at the same time. I just hate to see these juniors leave for the NFL and not pan out when they could have stayed another year to play out their senior seasons.... and to help their team (Kelly, Franks). I did think it was a mistake when Loften left early, but we all know now that it was a great move for him. Although I think having him back at MLB was a huge difference in not winning it all in '08 and having a undefeated season. I'm behind Broyles and Lewis in whatever decision they make. I just know that we have a much better chance with them in our line-up to push for another championship.

Soonermagik
12/14/2010, 09:50 AM
I see. So, in reality this is just your own personal speculation. For a moment there I thought you might be an NFL scout or a confidant of Mel Kiper. :rolleyes:

Look dude, I work directly with NFL scouts. I've talked to several people and I know several coaches inside the program. I'm not here to brag about my connections. I just thought this was exciting news that other sooner fans would like to know. Sure, Ryan could change his mind like any athlete, but he has come out and told people he's coming back. I wish I had never even started this thread. :rolleyes:

gaylordfan1
12/14/2010, 10:00 AM
Look dude, I work directly with NFL scouts. I've talked to several people and I know several coaches inside the program. I'm not here to brag about my connections. I just thought this was exciting news that other sooner fans would like to know. Sure, Ryan could change his mind like any athlete, but he has come out and told people he's coming back. I wish I had never even started this thread. :rolleyes:

Guys, all of this is speculation anyways. It's just something for us to talk about until our last game. If someone has news to post then post it so we can talk about it. We are all adults....

C&CDean
12/14/2010, 10:10 AM

Does Bob Stoops know you called him an effing liar on this board?

tcrb
12/14/2010, 10:48 AM

That's all I was asking.....How reliable is the information you're posting. There's nothing wrong with coming out and saying that you have direct connections with NFL scouts....I wouldn't consider that bragging. I was just looking for some clue as to whether you have actual inside info or if you are just making sh*t up. Lots of people here post rumors and made up stuff as if it's fact, but you eluded to the possibility that you were basing your post on more than just your own opinion and I was simply trying to ferret out the source.

And gaylord is correct, there's nothing wrong with discussing speculation....95% of what's posted on this board is usually just that. But if that's what it is, I just wish that posters would say so....and if it's not speculation, then cite their source.

BoulderSooner79
12/14/2010, 11:14 AM
Guys, all of this is speculation anyways. It's just something for us to talk about until our last game. If someone has news to post then post it so we can talk about it. We are all adults....

Are you sure about that? Sources?

;)

reflector
12/14/2010, 11:19 AM
With all the talk about a potential lockout in the NFL next season, I think a lot of people will not be leaving college for the NFL.

adoniijahsooner
12/14/2010, 11:33 AM

;)

I have been gathering intelligence, and I have it on good authority that soonerfans is made up of only 10% adults. My sources are rock solid:D .

oudavid1
12/14/2010, 03:18 PM

;)

i have nothing.

BoulderSooner79
12/14/2010, 03:19 PM
i have nothing.

no worries, you'll be shaving soon.

oudavid1
12/14/2010, 03:27 PM
no worries, you'll be shaving soon.

that made me lol. i need to shave.

Soonermagik
1/6/2011, 07:33 PM
A bump for all the doubters. :)

oudavid1
1/6/2011, 07:35 PM

nice

Crimson Kid
1/6/2011, 07:46 PM
Norvell says he's coming back.

http://twitter.com/CoachJayNorvell

JLEW1818
1/6/2011, 08:24 PM
Broyles is coming back!!!! If we can convince Travis to come back we will start off 1-2 in the polls. yes it does matter, we have no conference championship game.

oudavid1
1/6/2011, 08:30 PM
Broyles is coming back!!!! If we can convince Travis to come back we will start off 1-2 in the polls. yes it does matter, we have no conference championship game.

was that a joke?

BigJerm7
1/6/2011, 08:31 PM

+1.

Bunch of source police.

JLEW1818
1/6/2011, 08:34 PM
was that a joke?

:D, lol this whole "oilfield career" thing is making me miss everything.

when did Travis say he was coming back? just read on google :D

tcrb
1/6/2011, 08:34 PM
Props to Soonermagik! You called this a month ago....

JLEW1818
1/6/2011, 08:36 PM
i called this when Ryan was a freshman in high school actually

oudavid1
1/6/2011, 08:40 PM
:D, lol this whole "oilfield career" thing is making me miss everything.

when did Travis say he was coming back? just read on google :D

lol it was on facebook.

i called this when Ryan was a freshman in high school actually

nice

Jacie
1/6/2011, 09:04 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-t25-oklahoma-broylesreturns

Broyles coming back to Oklahoma

NORMAN, Okla. (AP)—All-American wide receiver Ryan Broyles is coming back to Oklahoma for his senior season, saying he believes he can get himself “better prepared for the NFL.”

Broyles set school records this season with 131 receptions for 1,622 yards and also eclipsed the Sooners’ career records for receptions, yardage and touchdowns.

His decision Thursday comes one day after linebacker Travis Lewis announced he would return to Oklahoma next season with the goal of pursuing a national championship.

Broyles says he wants to “win more championships and break every record possible as a receiver” and considers himself fortunate to have the players around him to accomplish his goals.

JLEW1818
1/6/2011, 09:05 PM
this just makes me want football here sooner...

VA Sooner
1/6/2011, 09:32 PM
220 days until 2011 season kickoff...