PDA

View Full Version : Mel Kiper

mgsooner
12/13/2010, 08:28 AM
Is he still somewhere stubbornly shaking his head and insisting that he was right and Clausen should have been taken before Bradford? I give you the Jimmy Clausen stat line:

51.3 PCT, 1163 YDS, 1 TD, 7 INT, 55.0 RATE

BoonesFarmSooner
12/13/2010, 09:12 AM
And Jake Locker would've been taken #1 ahead of both of those guys if he had turned pro last year...

85sooners
12/13/2010, 09:42 AM
Kiper is ugly

Landthief 1972
12/13/2010, 09:48 AM
Kiper is ugly

Don't forget that his hair is probably the biggest threat on the planet to the ozone layer every time he uses four cans of aquanet on it.

Mad Dog Madsen
12/13/2010, 09:52 AM
Kiper is ugly

No he's not... :D

http://otrsportsonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/MelKiperJr.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_eeN5OMmOOlI/S9Aia___QlI/AAAAAAAAABo/XRkInm6WvDw/s1600/mel+kiper+espn.jpg

Jason White's Third Knee
12/13/2010, 10:09 AM
How is it possible that this man is not a televangelist?

KantoSooner
12/13/2010, 10:14 AM
JW'sTK, That is simple. He's not a televangelist because he's not stealing the money of old people, dilddling his secretary or raping children. Those three are prerequisites to being a preacher man.

SoonerPr8r
12/13/2010, 10:19 AM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_eeN5OMmOOlI/S9Aia___QlI/AAAAAAAAABo/XRkInm6WvDw/s1600/mel+kiper+espn.jpg

He could play the Penguin in the next Batman movie.

texaspokieokie
12/13/2010, 10:21 AM
JW'sTK, That is simple. He's not a televangelist because he's not stealing the money of old people, dilddling his secretary or raping children. Those three are prerequisites to being a preacher man.

is Billy Graham included ???

King Crimson
12/13/2010, 10:45 AM
Locker may be the most overrated player of the last 20 years.

diegosooner
12/13/2010, 10:48 AM
I know it's fun to make fun of Mel Kiper but you gotta give the guy credit, he is one of the principle figures who helped turn the NFL draft into a huge spectator sport.

Only 50% of those QBs who are drafted in the top 10 could be deemed as "successful." Even the best poker players don't finish in the money every tournament.

AlboSooner
12/13/2010, 10:52 AM

He is, for the religion of football. Kind of like Sam Harris is an evangelist for the religion of atheism.

yermom
12/13/2010, 11:28 AM
Locker may be the most overrated player of the last 20 years.

hey, he got them to a bowl...

maybe he'll have better luck against the Huskers this time :D

KantoSooner
12/13/2010, 11:31 AM
is Billy Graham included ???

Well, he's been shaking a cup for a long time...so one wonders about the other two...

OUthunder
12/13/2010, 11:34 AM
Kiper owns stock in Aqua Net.

badger
12/13/2010, 11:39 AM
After the accusations in that SI article, it's pretty clear that he needs to be brought down a notch... not necessarily because he's part of agent scams to get their athletes drafted higher, but rather because he allowed himself to be abused like that.

Even if he didn't know agents were using him, he should have realized it.

Keep him on draft day if you want, but don't have him be featured extensively.

badger
12/17/2010, 05:19 PM
btw, Mel Kiper is now saying this:

1. Carolina Panthers
Top needs: DT, WR, QB
Pick strategy: Carolina is in a really peculiar spot. Right now they really need a dominating interior presence on the D-line, and Auburn's Nick Fairley is an option, but he'd be a bit of a reach. The Panthers also need help at wide receiver, but they're young there with guys like David Gettis and Brandon LaFell (Steve Smith could be elsewhere next year), and they wouldn't likely take A.J. Green at No. 1. Bottom line: It comes down to Andrew Luck. Don't take it as an indictment on Jimmy Clausen, who has struggled as you'd assume a rookie would in this setting, but they could really like their QB and still take Luck. If he's there, he's the guy. If he's not, it's a possible trade down, or perhaps Fairley has worked his way into this range.

Basically saying that Carolina needs a QB even though they have Jimmy whom he proclaimed one of the greatest ever before the draft (and angrily proclaimed it again afterward, haha). Whoops.

kelloggOUballa
12/17/2010, 05:23 PM
If he's there? Can't imagine how Luck would be off the board at No. 1, unless he opted for pro baseball...

stoopified
12/17/2010, 05:25 PM
Locker may be the most overrated player of the last 20 years. IMHO he has a long way to go to get to the VY or Tebow overhype level.

Okie35
12/17/2010, 05:26 PM
And Jake Locker would've been taken #1 ahead of both of those guys if he had turned pro last year...

Locker is still pretty good. He just has no one to throw it to.

badger
12/17/2010, 05:37 PM
If he's there? Can't imagine how Luck would be off the board at No. 1, unless he opted for pro baseball...

nyuck nyuck nyuck :D

To give ol' Mel the benefit of the doubt, I think Andrew has two years of eligibility left and might return, considering how close Satanford was to a Pac 10/Rose Bowl/BCS title berth this season.If they beat Oregon (and they led in the first half) they go to the title game instead of Oregano.

rekamrettuB
12/17/2010, 05:44 PM

Link?

IndySooner
12/17/2010, 05:48 PM
Follow the agent trail with Kiper. He's a fraud.

badger
12/17/2010, 05:50 PM
Link?

Since this is a football board I assume that he is speaking figuratively and not literally... about Cam Newton's daddy.

stealing the money of old people
Technically not stolen, since it was payment to get his son to Auburn, but I guess figuratively it is, since it is against NCAA rules.

dilddling his secretary
I'd assume that his wife has some involvement in his church, and secretary is probably one of many positions she helps out with.

raping children
Once Auburn loses it's accreditation, graduates will have degrees that mean less and fewer children will be able to have higher education opportunities... once again, figurative, not literal.

bmjlr
12/17/2010, 05:53 PM

Basically saying that Carolina needs a QB even though they have Jimmy whom he proclaimed one of the greatest ever before the draft (and angrily proclaimed it again afterward, haha). Whoops.

Don't take it as an indictment on Jimmy Clausen, who has struggled as you'd assume a rookie would in this setting

Exactly Badger. Really Mel...and Sammy was thrown into a great situation and team as a rookie and seems to be doing ok! Kiper...just admit you were wrong about Claussen and move on.

rekamrettuB
12/17/2010, 06:13 PM
Since this is a football board I assume that he is speaking figuratively and not literally... about Cam Newton's daddy.

Technically not stolen, since it was payment to get his son to Auburn, but I guess figuratively it is, since it is against NCAA rules.

I'd assume that his wife has some involvement in his church, and secretary is probably one of many positions she helps out with.

Once Auburn loses it's accreditation, graduates will have degrees that mean less and fewer children will be able to have higher education opportunities... once again, figurative, not literal.

:D

3DSooner
12/17/2010, 06:58 PM

I guarantee you that will be his next gig!

unbiasedtruth
12/17/2010, 07:14 PM
^^^^^^ what he is not already???? ^^^^^

there are fools out there that think god speaks through him when it comes to college football....

soonerfan69
12/17/2010, 10:04 PM

Eddie Munster all grown up

Lott's Bandana
12/17/2010, 11:24 PM

On a talking head segment the other day, he said basically the same thing, BUT said they'd trade Pickle-boy to another team where he would flourish as an NFL QB. I was dumbstruck at his stubborn-ness, but not surprised.

Tools are typically designed to do one thing.

SoonerDood
12/17/2010, 11:25 PM

This still boggles my mind a year later.

Outopia
12/18/2010, 01:16 PM

Elvis called, and he wants his hair style back.[hairGel]

Okie35
12/18/2010, 01:57 PM
This still boggles my mind a year later.

Now it could but back then I don't see how it would. Sam was hurt all year.

rainiersooner
12/18/2010, 03:34 PM
Locker is still pretty good. He just has no one to throw it to.

And no time to throw it. UW's o-line is horrible. I think Locker will be a decent player in the NFL.