PDA

View Full Version : Oh no, not again

cleller
12/13/2010, 07:33 AM
Now we'll have to endure the pokes taunts over this for weeks. They really are blessed when it comes down to grappling with other men in spandex:

Cowboys cruise in rout of Sooners

By MICHAEL HARRIS World Correspondent
Published: 12/13/2010 2:28 AM
Last Modified: 12/13/2010 6:00 AM

STILLWATER - The term "Bedlam" is said to have originated after a wild wrestling dual between Oklahoma and Oklahoma State during the early 1940s, but the rivalry didn't live up to its namesake Sunday as the Cowboys rolled 22-12 over the Sooners in Gallagher-Iba Arena.

OUinFLA
12/13/2010, 08:10 AM
wern't they A&M in the 40's?
or were they just clairvoyant?

cleller
12/13/2010, 08:40 AM
Hmmm. That was supposed to say "Bedlam" instead of "OU-OSU". Something in the copy-paste? will try to fix.

I guess next they will be talking about golf season.

Boomer.....
12/13/2010, 09:10 AM
They played football?

OUinFLA
12/13/2010, 09:26 AM
are you trying to type the b**lam word?
I think SF may be auto correcting that for ya.

olevetonahill
12/13/2010, 09:34 AM
Men who play with other men in tight shorts are ghey. Men who watch this shat are ghey
nuff said

yermom
12/13/2010, 09:41 AM
Hmmm. That was supposed to say "OU-OSU" instead of "OU-OSU". Something in the copy-paste? will try to fix.

heh

85sooners
12/13/2010, 09:41 AM
Men who play with other men in tight shorts are ghey. Men who watch this shat are ghey
nuff said

Queers:eek:

Harry Beanbag
12/13/2010, 09:53 AM
http://www.inquisitr.com/wp-content/wrestling.jpg

olevetonahill
12/13/2010, 09:54 AM
Queers:eek:

http://www.inquisitr.com/wp-content/wrestling.jpg

Thats what Im talkin about. thats some ghey shat right there :eek:

Boomer.....
12/13/2010, 10:01 AM
Some men like it:

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/7351/mongowrestlingfk6.jpg

cleller
12/13/2010, 10:05 AM
are you trying to type the b**lam word?
I think SF may be auto correcting that for ya.

Ah, that's the deal.

Bunksheep.

olevetonahill
12/13/2010, 10:05 AM
Some men like it:

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/7351/mongowrestlingfk6.jpg

Yea " Girly men"

Dan Thompson
12/13/2010, 10:13 AM
They were A&M into the 50's at least. I went to a Washington St. game there in the 50's, before they had lights.

texaspokieokie
12/13/2010, 10:17 AM
They were A&M into the 50's at least. I went to a Washington St. game there in the 50's, before they had lights.

changed in late 50s. my sister & bro-in-law graduated there in 55 & was still a & m.

badger
12/13/2010, 10:25 AM
22-12? Is that a rout? I dunno wrestling too well. I guess that would be if it was baseball, which I know Poke sucked at last season... can they really smack talk wrestling if we don't understand wrestling?

olevetonahill
12/13/2010, 10:58 AM
22-12? Is that a rout? I dunno wrestling too well. I guess that would be if it was baseball, which I know Poke sucked at last season... can they really smack talk wrestling if we don't understand wrestling?

Thats all they got to brag about. :rolleyes:

texaspokieokie
12/13/2010, 11:03 AM

it wasn't a rout. it was only 6 to 4 in wins.
how can you have been in OK for about 10 yrs & not understand "wrestling" ??

olevetonahill
12/13/2010, 11:05 AM

Ive lived here since 70 and I dont unerstan it Nor do I want to:pop:

yermom
12/13/2010, 11:05 AM
i've been here 34 and i don't, unless we are talking Macho Man and Hulk Hogan

but i've been around them enough to know i wouldn't want to tussle with one

olevetonahill
12/13/2010, 11:06 AM
i've been here 34 and i don't, unless we are talking Macho Man and Hulk Hogan

I were thinkin more about Wimmens Mud wrastlin :hot:

texas bandman
12/13/2010, 11:10 AM
Ive lived here since 70 and I dont unerstan it Nor do I want to:pop:

I've lived here since '59 and I don't know nothin' about rasslin'.

texaspokieokie
12/13/2010, 11:12 AM
some people are dumb.

it ain't rasslin.

olevetonahill
12/13/2010, 11:18 AM
some people are dumb.

it ain't rasslin.

Hey, We tolt ya we dont know nuthin about that **** .
pay tention

texaspokieokie
12/13/2010, 11:35 AM
it's really cute how you can intentionally mis-spell words.
how'd you learn to do that.??

badger
12/13/2010, 11:38 AM

I understand it OK, I just didn't understand how 22-12 could be considered a sound defeat as it was laid out to be in that linked article. Hmmm

Harry Beanbag
12/13/2010, 11:39 AM
I understand it OK, I just didn't understand how 22-12 could be considered a sound defeat as it was laid out to be in that linked article. Hmmm

:mack: TEN POINTS ON A NEUTRAL FIELD!!!!11!!1!

olevetonahill
12/13/2010, 11:43 AM

I studied under the best :P

texaspokieokie
12/13/2010, 11:43 AM

indicated you didn't understand wrestling. told you it wasn't a "rout".

6 matches to 4 matches.

texaspokieokie
12/13/2010, 11:44 AM
I studied under the best :P

i shud've knowed.:)

Sooner_Tuf
12/13/2010, 11:49 AM

You mean like misspelled? What a dork :gary:

texaspokieokie
12/13/2010, 11:59 AM
my spelling is not that bad.
i may be a dork, don't know what that is.

olevetonahill
12/13/2010, 12:02 PM
my spelling is not that bad.
i may be a dork, don't know what that is.

Here ya go Is this you ?

http://syaple.mlblogs.com/dork.jpg

texaspokieokie
12/13/2010, 12:04 PM
close enuff, but i'm much older.

texaspokieokie
12/13/2010, 12:05 PM
isn't having 40k posts on same board included in "dorkiness" ???

olevetonahill
12/13/2010, 12:07 PM
close enuff, but i'm much older.

This must be you then .:D
http://ellistrations.com/musiciansblog/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/dork.jpg

olevetonahill
12/13/2010, 12:08 PM
isn't having 40k posts on same board included in "dorkiness" ???

Naw, Its called Being a disabled vet and bored as hell at the same time ;)

texaspokieokie
12/13/2010, 12:10 PM
that's much closer.

i used to have a "pocket protector". came in handy to attach ID badge, back
in the days when i worked @ "North American Aviation" & "Lockheed".

texaspokieokie
12/13/2010, 12:12 PM
Naw, Its called Being a disabled vet and bored as hell at the same time ;)

i agree, trading comments with me has to be excruciatingly boring.

olevetonahill
12/13/2010, 12:25 PM
i agree, trading comments with me has to be excruciatingly boring.

:D Naw as long as Ya know its all in fun .:P

Sooner_Tuf
12/13/2010, 12:43 PM
OSU has kind of an identity crisis. They started out as the Oklahoma A&M Tigers. They considered (and billed) themselves as "Princeton on the Prairie". So it's only natural they took Princeton's colors and mascot name. This always puts a smile on my face as one of my daughters attended Princeton and having been on both campuses I fail to see the similarity. Maybe things in Stillwater were better in 1890?

The Tiger name was not popular so they went by the Agriculturalists (sounds like a bad "B" movie shown at midnight at drive in theaters to me). At some point in the 1920's a writer who didn't like either Tiger or Agriculturalists started calling them the Oklahoma A&M Cowboys even though the school referred to their teams as Aggys.

About this time the students discovered Frank Eaton. Frank was an old derelict that sat on a porch in Perkins spouting fables of being a great gunfighter in the 1880's. Of course the pokes swallowed all of this hook, line, and sinker.

Michael Swickard, Ph.D. at NMSU did some research and wrote a paper about Frank Eaton which is facinating. It should be required reading for all pokes and is hilarious for all Sooners.

On the dusty old trail of Pistol Pete liar, fraud, and stolen mascot

At a recent NMSU football game a visitor to our area pointed to the NMSU Aggie mascot, Pistol Pete, and asked, "Isn’t that really Oklahoma State University’s mascot?"
I smiled my "been caught being an Aggie smile," and said, "Yes, it is an interesting story."
The Unveiling of Pistol Pete, the NMSU Aggie -
The time is 730 p.m., December 10, 1986, at the Pan American Center. I am sitting in Section H, Row 20, Seat 4. It is the NMSU Aggies vs. the UTEP Miners in basketball.
The Pan American Center is full of excited basketball fans. There are fans from UTEP, Aggie Fans, the media, everyone is waiting for the start of the game. But first there is the unveiling of the new Aggie mascot, Pistol Pete.
The announcer explains to the waiting crowd that the new Aggie Mascot has just been given a face and wardrobe at a cost of $4,500. For some reason the fans cheer. "Pistol Pete is played this year by Michael Callahan, a Journalism student from Missoula, Montana."
The announcer goes on to say that the NMSU Aggies have had this mascot since it was created in 1923 from a real-life rooting tooting old west gunfighter, Frank "Pistol Pete" Eaton. Some more cheers. There is a pause of anticipation while the lights go down.
A spotlight illuminates the center of the floor. And there he is, it’s Pistol Pete, larger than life. He steps into the light amid wild cheering. Waving to the large crowd, Pistol Pete is mobbed by photographers while the announcer explains, "The designer of the costume is Richard Glass from El Paso." The previously silent UTEP fans now cheer wildly.
The house lights come back on and my uncle sitting next to me observed, "Great, a mascot patterned after an Oklahoma man, played by a student from Montana and designed by someone from Texas." I nodded and smiled my "Been caught acting like an Aggie smile."
He asked, "So what about Pistol Pete, what's his story in the old west?"
Even though over the years I’ve written quite a bit about the Old West, I was blank. I answered, "I remember Pistol Pete Maravich, the basketball player, but I don’t believe I’ve ever heard of any Frank Eaton or Pistol Pete Eaton in the old west."
I was troubled. This was like being a historian of presidents when someone tells you that a man named Frank Eaton was the president of the United States at one time.
At home that night, (Don’t ask who won the game, the refs weren’t from Las Cruces either,) I looked for the name Eaton. Since he was supposed to be an Oklahoma gunfighter I started with the, Encyclopedia of Western Gunfighters by O’Neal, University of Oklahoma Press.
But it went from Wyatt Earp to Joe Elliot, no Eaton. I checked for Pistol Pete, but the book went from Charley Pierce to Henry Plummer. During the next four hours I poured through my personal library of several hundred books and didn’t find even one reference to Eaton.
So I had to be content reading the sports information program which had a Pistol Pete history where Pete cleans up the old west and is a friend of Sheriff Pat Garrett:
At the age of seventeen, "Pistol Pete" had killed four of his father’s murderers in fair gunfights. A fifth murderer had been killed for cheating in a poker game. The last remaining gunman who had murdered his father was still at large. In 1881, he learned the sixth man, Wyley Campsey, was in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Upon arriving in Albuquerque, Frank Eaton met Pat Garrett, this was during the Lincoln County Wars, in New Mexico. The two men became friends, and Pat Garrett offered his support and guidance to "Pistol Pete." Frank found Wyley Campsey and shot him in a fair fight, though he was seriously wounded himself. Pistol Pete stayed in Lincoln County for some time while recuperating at the home of one of Pat Garrett’s friends. Later, he returned to his home in Oklahoma with a feeling that his father’s death had now been avenged. Eaton went on to become a cavalry scout, lawman and a writer. He was considered by some to be a folk hero in western lore.
I knew there were many things wrong with the press release version in the basketball program. First of all, the Lincoln County War happened three years earlier and wasn’t going on in the summer of 1881.
Second, with six victories in gunfights, Pistol Pete would be tied with John Selman (who killed John Wesley Hardin) for sixth place in the all time gunfighter statistics. But he is not mentioned in any western books about gunfighters. Finally, the mention of Pat Garrett was pretty fishy. As sheriff of Lincoln County from 1880 to 1882, Garrett spent 1881 until the middle of July busy with Billy the Kid 150 miles from Albuquerque, so it isn't likely he would go hang out in Albuquerque at that time. I had read many books on Garrett without any reference to Eaton.
Finding the truth about Pistol Pete -
The next morning I went to the NMSU library. The basketball program had mentioned a book about Eaton. When I found the book the mystery cleared up. The book, Pistol Pete Veteran of the Old West, was written by none other than Frank Eaton himself and published in 1952. It was in the nonfiction section of the library but seemed misplaced.
Next I checked the writings of southwestern historian Ramon Adams who is very persnickety when reviewing the veracity and plausibility of stories in old west books. His knowledge of the old west is well documented and he is a well established authority. In his review of Eaton’s book Adams says, "...A preposterous tale... The book reads like Wild West fiction and is filled with doubtful statements." Adams quotes another reviewer of the Eaton book who stated, "Books like this one are a distinct menace to western history."
So it is reasonable to say the Eaton was a fraud. I was assailed by several questions
1. Why is the NMSU mascot an Oklahoma gunfighter, fraud or not?
2. Although Eaton was picturesque, he appeared to have fabricated all of the stories about himself, does his veracity reflect on NMSU and does anyone care?
When did Pistol Pete become an NMSU Aggie -
There was an even deeper problem. Even though the basketball program said that Pistol Pete had been the NMSU Aggie’s mascot since 1923, I was sure Pistol Pete wasn’t the mascot when I attended NMSU in 1972.
I decided to check the student newspaper and student yearbook archives to see what had been said about Pistol Pete. I started with the year 1923. Over several hours of research I didn’t find any mention of Pistol Pete until in the 1956 NMSU yearbook I spotted the Pistol Pete figure on a homecoming float, but there wasn’t any explanation where that caricature of Pistol Pete came from. He next appeared in the 1959 yearbook, again without any explanation.
The Pistol Pete caricature didn’t seem to be adopted by NMSU until the middle to late 1970’s. There was some controversy about Pistol Pete in the late 70’s and a move to insert a Pistol Pete that didn’t look quite so provincial.
Then something snapped. I had been away from Las Cruces from 1973 to 1985. Upon returning I noticed the Aggie "Crimson Pride" slogan. It certainly sounded like Alabama’s Crimson Tide with an Aggie twist to me.
I checked to see if it was in use while I was at NMSU. I couldn’t find the word "Crimson." I am sure the words "Crimson and White" and "Crimson Pride" were developed later. It would appear that some time in the 1970’s a nameless public relations person adopted Pistol Pete, Crimson and White and the slogan Crimson Pride without referendum and without announcing they were rewriting NMSU history.
The next day I interviewed then NMSU Alumni Director Dan Jack who had been at NMSU only a year or so in 1986. As it turns out, Mr. Jack is originally from Oklahoma State University and was very conversant with the legend of Pistol Pete. He seemed to be just as perplexed as I about how NMSU ended up with this mascot.
"Pistol Pete was developed by Oklahoma State University in 1923," he told me.
"So, how did we get him?"
"I’m not sure," he said, "We seem to have just started using him one year."
"You mean we took OSU’s mascot lot, stock and dimple?"
"It appears so. I was at OSU before coming to NMSU. An alumni spotted the Pistol Pete image on a Missouri Valley Conference athletic program in 1978. The alumni wrote NMSU protesting the usage but nothing seems to have come from the letter."
"Are you telling me that NMSU stole the OSU mascot verbatim and before NMSU made the choice of mascot final they were warned it was plagiarism?" I asked.
"No, the mascot according to NMSU is different since they changed the colors from orange and white to crimson and white."
"The crimson and white we got from Alabama along with ‘Crimson Pride’?"
It seems the 1923 mascot of OSU was never a registered trademark so it broke no laws for NMSU to plagiarize the mascot. But it certainly sounds like an "Aggie" thing to do.
I immediately in 1987 published this information and the upshot of it is that the NMSU Aggies decided to continue using Pistol Pete because, "Nobody tells and Aggie what to do." I smiled my best "been caught acting like an Aggie smile" and let it go.
The move in 2005 to drop Pistol Pete -
Of late there is a move to drop Pistol Pete for a mascot more in keeping with the image of the university. I agree. It is a shame that despite having a history at NMSU which is unique and colorful, we have stolen our tradition from a bunch of Aggies in Oklahoma.
First, we need to sell this mascot back to OSU. The money we just spent on the NMSU mascot wouldn’t be lost since OSU’s mascot looks just ours. I’m sure they’d be glad to buy ours so that they could have a spare mascot--you can never have too many Pistol Petes when you are an Aggie. Heck, we might even make a little money on the deal if we name a price of say, $6,000. After all as Aggies they fell for the bogus story about Eaton and therefore it is highly likely that they may fall for the price of our mascot. I don’t know if it would disqualify us as Aggies if we did something smart like that, but I’m willing to take a chance.
Second, we have to choose a mascot that no one else has, and, one that is reflective of our unique history. We have to change mascots for several reasons Foremost, Pistol Pete is not an Aggie. He isn’t a farmer or rancher which is what an agricultural college addresses. What does being a western gunfighter have to do with agriculture? Nothing. It is time to lose Pistol Pete.
The new NMSU mascot -
We could use any one of our own heroes. There are plenty. NMSU could even use a copy of the research cow with a window in the side. Yes, I know that PETA would have a conniption, but most of the alumni would bite down on a steak and toast NMSU.
Lacking a lack of taste such that the research cow would indicate, NMSU could use a name that isn’t in use like the Chile pods. The NMSU Chile Pods. Sounds great. "Hey Podner," could be our cheer.
Another thing about Pistol Pete, a gunfighter glorifies violence which we seem to have too much of even here in Las Cruces. I wonder, couldn’t we have a less violent mascot? Maybe our mascot should be a windmill. Willy the Windmill, it would sure be picturesque.
Regardless of mascot name, the central issue is that a university should have a standard of ethics. Academic misconduct is defined as... Plagiarism which includes, but is not necessarily limited to submitting work prepared by another person.
As far as the crimson pride and crimson color in general. We could keep the colors but call them Rust and Dust. Rust and dust is part of every farm and ranch in New Mexico. It might cause some comments about our football team, but I’m willing to chance it.
Above all we must not plagiarize other college’s ideas. If a student plagiarized an idea the way NMSU did, they would be drop-kicked through the goal post of life quicker’n you could say Hiram Hadley. NMSU is only as ethical as the collective actions of its members.
NMSU has no business investing in fraud and deception. Period. End of Sentence. There is no ethical support for Pistol Pete as the NMSU mascot. It is a clear choice NMSU must make. Pistol Pete or ethics. NMSU is the stereotypical Aggie Joke In Action if the university continues using this fraudulent and plagiarized mascot taken from Oklahoma State University. Pistol Pete can no longer be welcome at NMSU unless he is dressed in orange and accompanies an Oklahoma State University athletic team.
Let’s get a new mascot. It should be a mascot we can be proud of, and, most importantly, a mascot where I will not have to smile my, "been caught being an Aggie smile."