PDA

View Full Version : OU is a better program than UF...back in 98...

itsok
12/13/2010, 01:01 AM
a friend of mine and I agreed that if Stoops was successful at OU, he wouldnt go to UF. Think about it, UF won its first NC back in 96...OU had won 6 by then...Stoops grew up in the 70s when OU ruled, UF was nowhere near that back then...As soon as OU started to pay him the top salaries, i knew he would stay...we might even get NC 8 as soon as next year...why would he leave???

itsok
12/13/2010, 01:08 AM
another thing, during the last 60 years, how many times has OU been close to winning an NC and lost it? How many times has UF???? we are usually there every decade, playing for them, so we must be doing something right!
GO SOONERS!!!!

sooner59
12/13/2010, 01:14 AM
He won't. He will retire as a Sooner. I don't worry anymore. Year after year, he stays. After every lucrative job opens, he stays. The NFL has come calling, he stayed. He gets paid out the a55 here. There is a small cost of living. It is a good area to raise kids. We basically treat him like a king. He won a title here. He has built a giant here. He has wrote his name in the history books and has everything going for him. He mentor failed in the NFL and is just doing "ok" in the SEC.

Bob is a Sooner. Bob has common sense. Bob will be around for a while.

goingoneight
12/13/2010, 01:17 AM
Tradition means more to fans than it does to coaches. Stoops has often admitted that when he was younger that he had a soft spot for all of the great OU teams during his younger days. He said at a caravan years ago that he wore silver shoes just like Joe Washington out of fandom. I can only guess that Stoops is not only successful at OU, he's happy to be here. Frustrated at times, yes... but ultimately happy to be here. He'd be frustrated anywhere else, though. Going to Dallas/Denver/Cleveland/Notre Dame/Ohio State/Tennessee/Florida doesn't magically win games you lose at OU, and there are bonehead fans and media no matter what job you take in sports.

Back on the original subject though... traditionally, we're better than Florida. However, it didn't mean diddly squat last time we played, did it? UF has great facilities, fan support, talent pool and national respect just like OU does... be there 7 MNCs or 3 MNCs.

Now, OU won't lose Stoops for a lesser program. OSU, Texas Tech, Miami, those types will never be in the running to "steal him away." Places with fairweather fans and/or lackluster facilities and uphill battles to win it all won't get or keep top flite coaches. They won't lose him to just any NFL offer. If they do, it'll be if Stoops decides one day "why don't I go ahead and try this before I retire?"

It's good to have tradition, but it won't keep coaches unless they're happy being there, which Stoops appears to be. The Florida offer is a mere flatter, but not something he appears to really want. As long as there's great financial support and fan support for his program in Norman, he'll be here. His relationship with Boren, Castiglione and the BOR is another thing he constantly praises.

slh1234
12/13/2010, 01:27 AM
Tradition means more to fans than it does to coaches. Stoops has often admitted that when he was younger that he had a soft spot for all of the great OU teams during his younger days. He said at a caravan years ago that he wore silver shoes just like Joe Washington out of fandom. I can only guess that Stoops is not only successful at OU, he's happy to be here. Frustrated at times, yes... but ultimately happy to be here. He'd be frustrated anywhere else, though. Going to Dallas/Denver/Cleveland/Notre Dame/Ohio State/Tennessee/Florida doesn't magically win games you lose at OU, and there are bonehead fans and media no matter what job you take in sports.

Back on the original subject though... traditionally, we're better than Florida. However, it didn't mean diddly squat last time we played, did it? UF has great facilities, fan support, talent pool and national respect just like OU does... be there 7 MNCs or 3 MNCs.

Now, OU won't lose Stoops for a lesser program. OSU, Texas Tech, Miami, those types will never be in the running to "steal him away." Places with fairweather fans and/or lackluster facilities and uphill battles to win it all won't get or keep top flite coaches. They won't lose him to just any NFL offer. If they do, it'll be if Stoops decides one day "why don't I go ahead and try this before I retire?"

It's good to have tradition, but it won't keep coaches unless they're happy being there, which Stoops appears to be. The Florida offer is a mere flatter, but not something he appears to really want. As long as there's great financial support and fan support for his program in Norman, he'll be here. His relationship with Boren, Castiglione and the BOR is another thing he constantly praises.

It pretty well sums it up except for one thing: Family considerations. Family men in particular tend to stay where the lady and the kids are happy - especially the lady. (Ask me how I know.) A great job that gives job satisfaction, and a happy lady in the house - That means a lot to a family man.

The house is for the lady more than for the man. When someone is building a big house and taking care of those kinds of things, it sounds like someone satisfied where he is, adn someone with a lady that is content to stay there. I hope I'm right.

But things can change pretty quickly even when everything seems to be going so well (ask me how I know that one, and how many addresses we've had in the 26 years we've been married ... and how much warning we had before any one of those moves ... ).

I hope he stays and stays happy. He seems to be happy where he is.

sooner59
12/13/2010, 01:43 AM
Mary Kay does well in Oklahoma. And judging from his lady's pink Cadillac, she is doing well, too.

slh1234
12/13/2010, 01:58 AM
Mary Kay does well in Oklahoma. And judging from his lady's pink Cadillac, she is doing well, too.

Ladies love success, too. :). I wish her a lot more success in Oklahoma :).

sooner59
12/13/2010, 02:50 AM
Bob loves campus corner. I have seen him eating at O'Connell's and La Luna. He would never leave campus corner. :D

85sooners
12/13/2010, 09:58 AM
:pop: