PDA

View Full Version : Some perspective on OU's BCS woes

BigRed47
12/12/2010, 10:02 PM
I put this on the UConn board to try and give the UConn fans some perspective as to OUr slide in the BCS. Some of their posts they feel that since OU has lost 5 in a row in the BCS that they don't have as much to worry about.

I have noticed that a lot of Uconn posters to this board have mentioned that one reason Uconn has a really good chance to beat OU in the Fiesta bowl is the poor record OU has in BCS bowl games. It is true that OU is on a five game BCS bowl losing streak. After winning their first two BCS bowl games the Sooners have had a difficult time. But OU has not lost to slouches. The lowest ranked team of the five was West Virginia at #11, but the last week of the season the Mountaineers were #2 and just a win away over Pitt playing for the National Title.

The Sooners won their first BCS bowl 13-2 over the 2nd ranked Florida State Seminoles in 2001. That gave OU their seventh National title. Two years later they defeated #7 Washington State 34-14 in the Rose Bowl.

In 2004 they lost to #2 LSU 21-14 in the Sugar Bowl, a virtual home game for the Tigers. Tiger fans outnumbered the Sooner faithful five to one. Also in that game Our Heisman trophy QB, Jason White, was so bunged up from the Big 12 Championship game beating that he took from Kansas State that he had to have surgery after the game. He had injured both his foot and throwing hand a month earlier. He was probably at 70% for the NC game.

The following year OU lost in a blowout to probably one of the best teams ever in USC. The number two Sooners were never in the Orange Bowl game in 2005 as the Trojans won 55-19. No excuses here, OU was just outplayed, out-coached and out-hustled beginning to end.

Two years later the Sooners once again were victims as they lost in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl to number 9 and undefeated Boise State 43-42. Once again the Sooners fell victim to the injury bug as they lost their star receiver Malcolm Kelly on the first drive of the game before he ever caught a pass. Many felt that that would be a key matchup as Boise State would have a hard time covering him. We never found out. And how did OU even get to the Fiesta Bowl that year. With two games left in the regular season Texas was undefeated in the Big 12. Against Kstate Texas lost Colt McCoy and the game. The following week Texas lost to A&M without McCoy and OU backed into the Big12 Championship game.

Then the next season OU lost again in the Fiesta Bowl to #11 West Virginia 48-28. However I think Uconn fans remember that 2007 West Virginia team. Uconn lost to them 66-21 and West Virginia was ranked #2 when they entertained Pitt in the backyard brawl. In a huge upset unranked Pitt beat the Mountaineers 13-9 who had already made reservations for the National Championship game. Unfortunately WVU did lose their QB, Pat White early in that game. That loss to Pitt also cost them their coach, Rich Rod. I remember seeing him after that game and he had lost it. I had never seen anyone so depressed. He couldn’t even talk he was so shocked. Shortly after that Rodriguez was gone to Michigan. I think he felt he could never win it all in Morgantown. Well West Virginia then went on to take out their frustration against OU in the bowl. Also a note, OU had seven starters who did not play in that game due to injuries. However with those starters playing I think OU would have had a tough time beating that Mountaineer team, they were that good. Should have never lost to Pitt.

And last but not least is the 2009 Orange Bowl against #1 Florida, once again a virtual home game for the opponent. Florida fans outnumbered OU four to one at this one. OU went on to lose 24-14. About the only consolation for the Sooners was they were the only team to hold Florida below 30 points during the season. Once again OU did have a key injury. Their #1 running back, Demarco Murray did not play in that game due to an injured knee he received in the Big12 Championship game. OU could have used him on their two trips inside the five-yard line where they didn’t score.

The average ranking for the teams that OU has lost to in their last five BCS appearances is #5. Yes, it would have been nice to win one or two of those games but when you’re playing highly ranked teams your chances at winning are 50/50 at best. Except for the USC and West Virginia games OU has acquitted themselves pretty well. And in those two games I believe the better team won. The other three could have gone either way. In the five losses OU is a minus 6 in the turnover department, but five were against USC in the blowout. The other four games were basically a wash in turnovers.

85sooners
12/12/2010, 10:04 PM
:eek:

StoopTroup
12/12/2010, 10:04 PM
They are going to crush us.

WE ARE DOOMED ! ! !

rekamrettuB
12/12/2010, 10:11 PM
Well and don't forget to mention WVa lost Pat White early in that game vs Pitt. They weren't just upset but lost their motor early on.

BigRed47
12/12/2010, 10:17 PM
Well and don't forget to mention WVa lost Pat White early in that game vs Pitt. They weren't just upset but lost their motor early on.

I will add that. I did not know that. Thanx.

Leroy Lizard
12/12/2010, 10:27 PM
You're missing the obvious fact that we have played horribly in BCS bowl games. It isn't just the quality of the competition. UConn has every right to be optimistic if we come out playing as tight as we usually do in a BCS bowl.

UConn Penguin
12/12/2010, 10:33 PM
Get ready to add one more to that list of woes.

oudavid1
12/12/2010, 10:42 PM

lol wanna put some chili(Cash) on it?

btw if this is just a little smack then nvm.

PDXsooner
12/12/2010, 10:44 PM
Although there is some validity to your point, the reality is that is just a bunch of excuses. Everyone that loses has a story about why -- it's just that nobody cares. You either win or you lose. Period.

The last thing anybody needs is about how you almost won, you almost made it, you almost banged that chick, you almost got a scholarship, we almost lost all our ships in Pearl Harbor.

usaosooner
12/12/2010, 10:47 PM
You're missing the obvious fact that we have played horribly in BCS bowl games. It isn't just the quality of the competition. UConn has every right to be optimistic if we come out playing as tight as we usually do in a BCS bowl.

quoted for truth.. we've played sloppy ball

3rdgensooner
12/12/2010, 10:51 PM
Since its inception, what teams have played in comparative multiple BCS games. I can try google but thought someone might know.

Eielson
12/12/2010, 10:54 PM
The following year OU lost in a blowout to probably one of the best teams ever in USC. The number two Sooners were never in the Orange Bowl game in 2005 as the Trojans won 55-19. No excuses here, OU was just outplayed, out-coached and out-hustled beginning to end.

What is this guy talking about?

Leroy Lizard
12/12/2010, 10:58 PM
What is this guy talking about?

He's just confused.

Xunil
12/12/2010, 11:06 PM
Why do you feel even remotely compelled to explain BCS losses to UCONN?

UConn Penguin
12/12/2010, 11:10 PM

When you see yourself facing an impending disaster, it's normal human behavior to accept what cannot be changed.

Leroy Lizard
12/12/2010, 11:13 PM

Good question. I mean, we're going to play them anyway. Of what possible good is it to convince them, or ourselves, that UConn has no chance?

3rdgensooner
12/12/2010, 11:13 PM
When you see yourself facing an impending disaster, it's normal human behavior to accept what cannot be changed.Leroy? Is that you?

Widescreen
12/12/2010, 11:23 PM
Here's what I'd ask UConn fans:

"If you're confident because of OU's BCS issues, what is UConn's record in BCS bowls? It must be really good."

yermom
12/12/2010, 11:30 PM
Since its inception, what teams have played in comparative multiple BCS games. I can try google but thought someone might know.

USC, who has only lost once, and tOSU who is something like 5-3

FSU is 1-5 though

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowl_Championship_Series

opksooner
12/12/2010, 11:34 PM
UConn is, for some, an alternative to the Ivy schools so they're not stupid. They ought to understand this:

Past Performance is No Guarantee of Future Results

o0Dan0o
12/12/2010, 11:35 PM

I agree with what Stoops always says about these types of. The past is the past, they're not playing the game two years ago, or three, or four. They're playing it this year, and I like what I've seen from this team. They have a moxy that I haven't seen in the past few years. I was always a little worried about the 08 team because in our two regular season games that were close going into the fourth we were 1-1. I think this year OUr team has learned how to win the hard way and play 4 quarters of football.
Dan

BigRed47
12/12/2010, 11:58 PM
The only thing I was trying to point out is that if we had lost OUr last 5 BCS bowls to unranked teams then it would be understandable. However when you lose to 5 teams, average rank #5, your not playing the sisters of the poor. If UConn was this good they would be ranked up there. That is all I'm saying.

CatfishSooner
12/13/2010, 12:06 AM
how would an unranked team get into a BCS bowL????

OUthunder
12/13/2010, 12:21 AM
OU sucks, UCONN will beat us by two TD's.

Doged
12/13/2010, 12:34 AM
how would an unranked team get into a BCS bowL????

By winning the Big East. ;)

yermom
12/13/2010, 12:51 AM
The only thing I was trying to point out is that if we had lost OUr last 5 BCS bowls to unranked teams then it would be understandable. However when you lose to 5 teams, average rank #5, your not playing the sisters of the poor. If UConn was this good they would be ranked up there. That is all I'm saying.

if winning BCS games was easy, there would be no point

it's not like we were playing Appalachian State or something

2010 UConn would be a dog against any of the teams we played in BCS games

maybe against any of our bowl opponents in the Stoops era

unfortunately, you have to play the game :D

where is that simulator webpage...

pappy
12/13/2010, 05:43 AM
We lost cause we were playing good competition?! What a stupid excuse...of course you're playing good competition its a freakin' bcs bowl. Although since we are playing uconn this year I can see where you got confused.

Great coaches win in games against good competition...5 losses in a row vs good competition is not a sign of great coaching. Blame the players, blame injuries whatever you want to do...it was the same coach out there losing not the same players, but every loss comes with a lame excuse to keep the hc looking good and the players not so much.

agoo758
12/13/2010, 06:17 AM
Simply put, we didn't have the players that were mentally tough to handle adversity when things got bad. Are things different this year? Well, we had ourselves a nice little comeback in the Big 12 game and have made quite a few big plays in tight spots this year (see cincinatti :eek: ) I am confident that the era of BCS woes are over.

agoo758
12/13/2010, 06:20 AM

I like you guys. I quite admire how far your team has come from your Division 1-AA days. I don't want you to be devestaed. Don't get your hopes up. :D

Leroy Lizard
12/13/2010, 06:25 AM
We lost cause we were playing good competition?! What a stupid excuse...of course you're playing good competition its a freakin' bcs bowl. Although since we are playing uconn this year I can see where you got confused.

Great coaches win in games against good competition...5 losses in a row vs good competition is not a sign of great coaching. Blame the players, blame injuries whatever you want to do...it was the same coach out there losing not the same players, but every loss comes with a lame excuse to keep the hc looking good and the players not so much.

How did they get into the BCS game in the first place without good coaching?

yermom
12/13/2010, 09:29 AM

i never said losing was a sign of great coaching, i said relating those losses to UConn's chances wasn't sound logic

great coaching got us to the games in the first place

Bourbon St Sooner
12/13/2010, 10:44 AM
Actually that 5 game losing streak is another reason why UCONN is going to lose not a reason for hope. Their only chance to win is the we come out unfocused and overconfident. I think this team's tired of hearing about that BCS bowl losing streak and will come out focused.

5noubus
12/13/2010, 10:48 AM
Great read. We went to fiesta in 07 and the national champ in fl. Was so like a home fame. The sponsors, field and 80% of the crowd were in gator colors. Murrary being out explains why we couldn't execute in the red zone.
The fiesta bowl, I just couldn't believe how fast the mountaineers were. We looked ill prepared and sluggish.
I think we will beat our bowl poising streak this year!

Soonermagik
12/13/2010, 10:56 AM
Solid points. Lost to some really talented teams. Several of those OU teams did have a lot of injuries where Curtis Lofton, Kelly, Murray etc.. didn't play.

Uconn isn't Boise State!! Uconn has lost 4 games!!! They are catching this OU team at a really bad time. Bob Stoops wants a BCS win worse than anyone and I think they will prepare like crazy for this game. I wouldn't be shocked if they blow Uconn out of the water. I don't lock many games, but I'm locking OU to win by double digits.

fadada1
We're totally doomed.

I'm looking more forward to armageddon on 12/21/12 than this year's Fiesta Bowl.

I think UCONN might have the best football team we've faced yet in BCS games.

We might not score!!!

Sooner11JK
Great read. We went to fiesta in 07 and the national champ in fl. Was so like a home fame. The sponsors, field and 80% of the crowd were in gator colors. Murrary being out explains why we couldn't execute in the red zone.
The fiesta bowl, I just couldn't believe how fast the mountaineers were. We looked ill prepared and sluggish.
I think we will beat our bowl poising streak this year!

wait....what?

texas bandman
12/13/2010, 11:35 AM
I am confident that the era of BCS woes are over.

I think some of our number are stuck on the first stage of grief.

Stages of Grief
1.Denial (my state of mind after the 1st BCS loss)
2.Anger (after TGWWDNM)
3.Bargaining (after potato state)
4.Depression (after the hillbillies)
5.Acceptance (after the g8ters)

I've come to accept that we'll never win another BSC game, so I'll call Bob and tell him to bring the lube to the Fiesta Bowl. :D

UConn Penguin
12/13/2010, 05:24 PM
I think some of our number are stuck on the first stage of grief.

Stages of Grief
1.Denial (my state of mind after the 1st BCS loss)
2.Anger (after TGWWDNM)
3.Bargaining (after potato state)
4.Depression (after the hillbillies)
5.Acceptance (after the g8ters)

I've come to accept that we'll never win another BSC game, so I'll call Bob and tell him to bring the lube to the Fiesta Bowl. :D

Finally. A dirt burglar that makes sense.

oudavid1
12/13/2010, 05:25 PM
Finally. A dirt burglar that makes sense.

lets
bet
on
it
then
?

Soonermagik
12/13/2010, 05:34 PM

Burn!!!

agoo758
12/13/2010, 05:39 PM

[espn]CUZ BEE CEE ESS IS RIGGED AND TEXAS BEAT US ONE YEAR AND THREE WAY TIE AND AUBURN TIM TEBOW SAVIOR LEAVE OF ABSENSE......UMMM....PLAYOFF SYSTEM![espn]

proudsoonergal
12/13/2010, 06:21 PM
I think it is relatively easy to "explain" away each BCS game individually (home crowd, injuries, stealing coats at Burlington Coat Factory, etc), but after awhile, the "explanations" for the sheer number of losses in a row just start sounding like excuses.

Bottom line: OU is 2-5 in BCS bowl games. We are what our record says we are.

BUT...as somebody pointed out earlier, and as Stoops is fond of pointing out, that record has nothing to do with the game THIS year. It's not like we show up in Glendale with a score of minus-21 or something. Stats are great fun to manipulate, but you still gotta play the game.

Speaking of stats, I've got a question and am too lazy to go look up the answer: under Stoops, what is OU's bowl record against teams ranked lower than they are going into the bowl?

fwsooner22
12/13/2010, 06:27 PM
Bring on the game and by the way WAY MORE PENGUIN. That guy is hilarious.

Germans

wahoorob
12/13/2010, 07:14 PM
I think it is relatively easy to "explain" away each BCS game individually (home crowd, injuries, stealing coats at Burlington Coat Factory, etc), but after awhile, the "explanations" for the sheer number of losses in a row just start sounding like excuses.

Bottom line: OU is 2-5 in BCS bowl games. We are what our record says we are.

BUT...as somebody pointed out earlier, and as Stoops is fond of pointing out, that record has nothing to do with the game THIS year. It's not like we show up in Glendale with a score of minus-21 or something. Stats are great fun to manipulate, but you still gotta play the game.

Speaking of stats, I've got a question and am too lazy to go look up the answer: under Stoops, what is OU's bowl record against teams ranked lower than they are going into the bowl?

You can't say "we are what our record says we are" and then turn around and say "that record has nothing to do with the game THIS year."

If, as you say, we're not starting this year's game at -21....then the same is true for every previous BCS loss. They either stand alone as an individual loss, free of impact from any other year....or they represent a cumulative effect.

Personally, I believe each year is it's own beast...and sometimes you just have a series of years that just don't go your way for any of a number of reasons.

All that said...barring absolute disaster I believe we will show up ready this year and roll UConn without mercy.

mdklatt
12/13/2010, 07:49 PM
Some of their posts they feel that since OU has lost 5 in a row in the BCS that they don't have as much to worry about.

They're 0-1 in bowl games where there wasn't snow on the ground, so I like our chances. :rolleyes:

With two games left in the regular season Texas was undefeated in the Big 12. Against Kstate Texas lost Colt McCoy and the game. The following week Texas lost to A&M without McCoy and OU backed into the Big12 Championship game.

Let's put an end to "backed in" bull**** once and for all. How does winning the division mean we backed into anything? Or does any team that's not undefeated "back in" to a championship game? Did we "back in" this year or in 2008? Nope. We did what we needed to do in the context of the clearly established rules of the game.

mdklatt
12/13/2010, 07:51 PM
UConn is, for some, an alternative to the Ivy schools

In that they all suck at playing football? :D

webfoot
12/13/2010, 08:47 PM
Someone please explain the Penguin deal to oudavid1 - I'm embarrassed for him.

yermom
12/13/2010, 08:50 PM
yeah, that isn't really helping his creditability

BigRed47
12/13/2010, 10:42 PM
Let's put an end to "backed in" bull**** once and for all. How does winning the division mean we backed into anything? Or does any team that's not undefeated "back in" to a championship game? Did we "back in" this year or in 2008? Nope. We did what we needed to do in the context of the clearly established rules of the game.

Yes, we lost 1 less game than Texas. However, with two weeks left Texas was 6-0 and OU was 5-1. Texas had defeated OU in Dallas so theoritically Texas had to lose the final two games. OU had to win their last two and hope that Texas would lose their final two, which at the time was highly unlikely, until KState knocked Colt McCoy out. Texas was a different team without Colt and lost those last two. So I'll say instead of backing into the division championship we lucked into it instead. Yeah, McCoy getting hurt that is part of the game, just like Sam getting hurt and OU falling to an 8-5 record in 2009. With Colt McCoy Texas does no worse than lose 1 of those games and still goes on to the Big12 Title game.

jkjsooner
12/13/2010, 10:43 PM
Two of those losses were in title games where the game was contested deep into the fourth quarter. Also in the latest one we were told that our defense had no chance yet we played a better defensive performance than any SEC school. We don't need to apologize to anyone about how we played in those games.

In the Boise State year we probably were not a BCS caliber team. We are a much better team this year.

The USC and WVU games were simply embarrassing. No excuses for those performances.

boomerinhou
12/13/2010, 11:38 PM
Speaking of some perspective on OU's BCS woes, this is OU's fourth BCS Bowl game during the last five years, and our seventh BCS game in 11 years. Not many teams have that record.

And speaking of records, (and most of you know) this will be OU's (and Bob Stoops') 12th consecutive post-season bowl appearance...the longest is OU history. The previous record was five from 1977 to 1981 and five from 1985 to 1989.

I think we're going to find out on January 1 that UConn is glad it's basketball season.

BOOMER!!!!

Leroy Lizard
12/13/2010, 11:39 PM
Let's put an end to "backed in" bull**** once and for all. How does winning the division mean we backed into anything?

It doesn't. There is no concept of "backing into a title" unless the other team is forced to forfeit the title.

Salt City Sooner
12/14/2010, 01:40 AM
Two of those losses were in title games where the game was contested deep into the fourth quarter. Also in the latest one we were told that our defense had no chance yet we played a better defensive performance than any SEC school. We don't need to apologize to anyone about how we played in those games.

In the Boise State year we probably were not a BCS caliber team. We are a much better team this year.

The USC and WVU games were simply embarrassing. No excuses for those performances.
USC yes; WVU, no way. WVU was a Pat White thumb injury from being in the NC game, so the short version is that they were good to say the least. They ran an offense that OU had not seen that year, & a defensive scheme that OU had seen only from Tulsa (who had nowhere near the athletes to run it as well as WVU).

OU, meanwhile, was down Granger, Harris, Holmes, & Reggie Smith on D, & English tried to gut it out on a broken leg (hello Adrian Taylor) & also was saddled with a huge case of the flu on top of that. On offense, the #1 deep threat was out, plus the biggest home run threat at RB was gone as well.

Add all those factors together, PLUS the fact that WVU was getting a 7 point spread? I still rate that as the easiest (& most bittersweet) money I've ever made from an OU bet, & unfortunately, my money wasn't on the good guys.

oudavid1
12/14/2010, 04:44 AM
Oklahoma is giving 17 points to UConn, the largest of any bowl spread this year.

turkeycreek10
12/14/2010, 05:56 AM
Appreciate your post.... but not sure that trying to justify why we came out on the losing end of those BCS games will do much; except maybe to make you feel better.

I for one am glad we had the opportunity to be in those 7 BCS games; which included 4 NC games. Win or lose, I am sure there are many schools out there that would like to be in OU's position year in and year out.

CrimsonRez
12/14/2010, 07:31 AM
Leroy? Is that you?

Feed the Penguin ahahaahhaha yes!!! feed him!!!!

Jacie
12/14/2010, 08:05 AM
Okay people, we all know OUr history. He was explaining it to the huskie fans and his post here was simply a report on what he did.

And remember please, OUr BCS bowl record is 2-5. Quit agonizing over the 5 and look to the 2. That is the trend we'll see come 1/1/11 . . .

3rdgensooner
12/14/2010, 10:15 AM
Feed the Penguin ahahaahhaha yes!!! feed him!!!!
No troll food...that was actually an obscure reference to an exchange Leroy and I had on the SO. Apparently few read it.

pphilfran
12/14/2010, 10:17 AM
Which one does not belong with the others...

1 loss LSU and eventual MNC
Undefeated USC and eventual MNC
Undefeated Boise State
1 loss WV
1 loss Florida and eventual MNC
4 loss Uconn

humblesooner
12/14/2010, 10:37 AM

Was the handle Huskie Penguin already taken??? I'm a little disappointed.
:D

Or were you just tired of hearing that from your mother when you were an adolescent?

humblesooner
12/14/2010, 10:42 AM
In reply to the OP, he isn't trying to defend OU's position in BCS bowls. It's just that some at UConn are thinking that if WV and Boise can beat OU in a BCS game, then they have a chance, too.
This thread is just to explain to UConn why the UConn vs BSU or UConn vs WVU comparison is not a good one.
I have mentioned this before, too. WVU was on track to play for the National Championship before stumbling at Pitt and BSU was undefeated and ranked #5 in the nation the years we played them.
Neither of these teams was 8-4 and not even close to being ranked.
Again, the purpose of the post was to show UConn the difference between UConn 2010 and the BSU/WVU teams that are giving the Huskies their hope for this season.

pphilfran
12/14/2010, 11:19 AM
About the only hope UConn has is for the Sooners to not be able to get out of Norman due to an ice storm and the Sooners are forced to forfeit...

This is a terrible matchup for UConn...

They have no passing game..

Todman is damn good but he is all they got...

They have 3900 yards in total offense while given up 4200 yards on defense...

Other then Michigan in the opener they have played the sick, lame, and lazy of NCAA offenses...

UConn played 7 teams that had offenses that couldn't get out of their own way...Texas Southern, Temple, Buffalo, Vandy, Rutgers, Syracuse, and South Florida...

Without a lot of turnovers and heads up azz play the Sooners will roll em...

UConn Penguin
12/14/2010, 06:41 PM
Your precious OU couldn't win the Big East. The only reason we're not ranked very high is because ESPN is effing us over.

Leroy Lizard
12/14/2010, 07:59 PM
In reply to the OP, he isn't trying to defend OU's position in BCS bowls. It's just that some at UConn are thinking that if WV and Boise can beat OU in a BCS game, then they have a chance, too.

But they do.

Not a great chance, but a chance nonetheless. If OU plays badly and they play well, they can win.

stoopified
12/14/2010, 09:32 PM
When you see yourself facing an impending disaster, it's normal human behavior to accept what cannot be changed.
Were you able to type that with a straight face?

humblesooner
12/15/2010, 11:29 AM
But they do.

Not a great chance, but a chance nonetheless. If OU plays badly and they play well, they can win.

Typically, I am very hesitant to boast much prior to a game with anyone. In 50 years, I have seen a lot of games that, on paper, OU should have won easily but they ended up on the wrong end of the scoreboard.
However, this game is different than the BSU and WVU games for the reasons explained above.
Any realistic UConn fan knows that they are not close to the same level as OU right now. They can hope to win, but realistically, they know that is highly unlikely.
When they point out that BSU and WVU were able to do it, they (and the rest of the sports world outside of OU) need to understand the difference between BSU/WVU and the 2010 edition of UConn.
This game will be a glorified scrimmage for OU.
Even if OU plays badly and UConn plays well, OU still wins the game.

Aldebaran
12/15/2010, 11:55 AM
I was hoping UCONN fans would trot out something more substantial than a belief in the transitive property of david vs. goliath.

KantoSooner
12/15/2010, 11:58 AM
How many passing yards will Drew Allen get in this game?

a) Less than 100
b) 100-200
c) 201-300
d) 301 +

I'm betting on 'd' since I see him coming into the game at about the 10' mark of the second quarter.

SoonerPr8r
12/15/2010, 12:23 PM

Been thinking about this. Still have no idea what game you are talking about. I think i would remember something this ridiculous but I looked it up anyway and wouldn't you know it USC didn't win any games that year. I don't think they even played.:D :D :D

Leroy Lizard
12/15/2010, 12:31 PM
Any realistic Cincy fan knows that they are not close to the same level as OU right now. They can hope to win, but realistically, they know that is highly unlikely.
When they point out that BSU and WVU were able to do it, they (and the rest of the sports world outside of OU) need to understand the difference between BSU/WVU and the 2010 edition of Cincinnatti.
This game will be a glorified scrimmage for OU.
Even if OU plays badly and Cincy plays well, OU still wins the game.

Try reading it now.

SoonerNutt
12/15/2010, 12:38 PM
I'd say don't make excuses.

We lost those games, and we've moved on. Bring on UConn if they think they want some.

yermom
12/15/2010, 12:39 PM
Sat, Nov 27 Cincinnati W 38-17

our defense does seem to have grown up a bit since that game, and the offense as well, not to mention Cincy seems to have derailed a bit

Leroy Lizard
12/15/2010, 12:51 PM

our defense does seem to have grown up a bit since that game, and the offense as well, not to mention Cincy seems to have derailed a bit

Cincinnati has derailed since that game? They came into the game having lost two of three, with the one win against Indiana State.

We made them look good.

SoonerNutt
12/15/2010, 01:28 PM
People like to point to the Cincy game as evidence that the Big East can play with us. Maybe it's true.

However, these people are missing a critical point of context.

We sucked on the road from last year up through the first half of the this year. Our offense is still a work in process in that regard, but there is no question it has improved it's level of composure in those situations.

Plus, look at Uconn. 6-0 at home. 2-4 on the road. They too, improved their road game jitters throughout the season.

But lets look at the details:

OU went 5-2 away from Norman. They started out winning ugly vs. Cincy, beat unranked UT in Dallas, then lost to two top 20 teams (MU and aTm). Then they hammered unranked BU, handled top 20 oSu, and won a close CCG game with top 20 NU.

Cincy started out 0-4 on the road with losses to unranked Michegan, Temple, Rutgers, and Louisville. They closed with two road wins vs. unranked Syracuse and USF. No ranked opponents on the road, yet they went 2-4. They averaged 15 points a game with a high of 24 (in a loss), again, vs. unranked teams. We average 32 with a low of 19 (loss to aTm) vs. much better competition.

On paper, this team shouldn't be on the field with us. It's not like this was a dynamic team flying under the radar. They are average at best, and they are here because they won a conference full of below average teams. The two teams tied with them atop the conference are both firing their coaches. What does that tell you? Seemingly, in order for this game to be close, we'd have to play our worst game of the year, and they'd have to play their best.

Of course, let's play the game anyway and see what happens.

humblesooner
12/15/2010, 01:31 PM
Try reading it now.

I read it and it is still accurate. If OU playes bad (we did) and Cincy plays well (they did), OU still wins the game (we did).
If OU plays well (we didn't), it will be a glorified scrimmage.

Aldebaran
12/15/2010, 01:35 PM
The Cincy game comparison is boring.

When we played Cincy it was our first road game early in the season.

When they played Cincy it was their last home game at the end of the season.