PDA

View Full Version : Malzahn accepts Vandy offer

Tigeman
12/12/2010, 05:54 PM
Rut Roh Auburn! We've seen how losing a guy right before the big game affects you.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/terrapins-insider/2010/12/gus_malzahn_accepts_vanderbilt.html

The Post's Eric Prisbell has been told that Auburn offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn has accepted Vanderbilt's offer to become the Commodores' next football coach.

silverwheels
12/12/2010, 05:58 PM
Vanderbilt is a dead-end job. They have no Athletic Director. They have the worst facilities in the SEC and a crappy stadium. Either they've pledged to spend more attention and money on football, or Malzahn knows Auburn is going on probation soon and he wants a temporary job in familiar territory until he can find a better one.

bigfatjerk
12/12/2010, 06:00 PM
Wow! That's a big time hire by Vandy. They had a pretty good coach there for a long time in Bobby Johnson. He didn't win a ton but they were decent a few years back. If they are putting in this much money for a coach maybe they are putting more into that football program.

waynepayne
12/12/2010, 06:01 PM
I just dont see a MNC bound OC coach going to a bottom dweller like Vandy unless he sees the writing on the wall.

Tigeman
12/12/2010, 06:04 PM
Money talks, and it's a chance for him to get some HC experience, and in the SEC no-less.

His short, albeit successful, resume has always been the knock on him.

They also lose like 20 seniors next year, and Cam! GTFO while you can.

silverwheels
12/12/2010, 06:07 PM
The Warshington Post is the only place I've seen this report. Nothing out of ESPN or Nashville yet, so I would hold off on this for now. Unless the Maryland OC mentioned in the article knows something and told the Post.

Tigeman
12/12/2010, 06:12 PM
I got no problem citing the Washington post, when they say he's accepted.

Had they said contract talks were almost done, then I would have said nope, not listening. Especially had it been ESPiN. I believe the Post has a bit more journalistic integrity!

Also a Vandy insider was reporting this around 4 as well. Unless the Post is citing him :D

bigfatjerk
12/12/2010, 06:13 PM
Washington Post isn't like TMZ or MSNBC or Fox News. I think this is probably right.

silverwheels
12/12/2010, 06:14 PM
Washington Post isn't like TMZ or MSNBC or Fox News. I think this is probably right.

It probably is. But so many news outlets are trigger-happy with stuff like this.

Tigeman
12/12/2010, 06:21 PM
Hey TMZ hasn't really ever been wrong so far so I'd definitely be listening to them! :D

bigfatjerk
12/12/2010, 06:23 PM
Hey TMZ hasn't really ever been wrong so far so I'd definitely be listening to them! :D

Looks like they missed the mark on the Tiny Gallon stuff.

Sooner_Tuf
12/12/2010, 06:31 PM
I just dont see a MNC bound OC coach going to a bottom dweller like Vandy unless he sees the writing on the wall.

Gene Chizik left Texas after a MNC to go to Iowa State.

soonerchk
12/12/2010, 06:36 PM

I like Gus and what he did at Tulsa, but yeah this makes no sense. Unless he figures they're about to be on probation over Cam Newton, and then it kind of would.

silverwheels
12/12/2010, 07:32 PM
No Malzahn Yet (http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270202/26398915)

Not saying it won't happen but Gus Malzahn to Vanderbilt hasn't happened yet.

That's what a source at the school told me Sunday night.

"I'm supposed to be in the loop," the source said. "Nothing has happened yet."

tommieharris91
12/12/2010, 07:39 PM
No Malzahn Yet (http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270202/26398915)

I'm the source for this.

bluedogok
12/12/2010, 07:43 PM
If you go to Vandy and break .500 then you get attention from other teams. After all, Chizik went 3-9 and 2-10 at Iowa State and got the Auburn job. I think Malzahn is enough of a known commodity at this point that any measure of success at Vandy would get him a lucrative offer at a higher profile program. With his rep all it takes is another talented QB to go there and you can hit .500.

In some ways he reminds me of Leach, he seems to need to do things his way and it is hard to do that as an assistant coach.

goingoneight
12/12/2010, 10:08 PM
Chizik got the Allbarn job because no matter how much Texas melted down in 2006 and no matter how bad he looked at ISU, 'Barners still had a hard-on for him when Tubberville wasn't doing so hot and Chizik's defense got to a National Championship at Texas.
Imagine if Mike Stoops got to the MNC last year when we were 8-5... imagine the board reaction to that.

bluedogok
12/12/2010, 10:41 PM
Mostly I was just stating that if you have a modicum at success at a traditionally poor school then you can get a lot of press and move up the ladder. Spurrier made Duke football into a decent team and got the Florida job, I bet Briles could get another, better job than Baylor based off his success there if he chased other jobs. I don't think Vandy is a complete dead end job, just a stepping stone job and some have had what would be considered "successful runs" at Vandy. You think if Petrino starts to struggle (not likely at the moment but if the next QB is a bust) and Malzahn gets Vandy to a consistent .500 and occasionally better record there won't be a clamor for him to replace Petrino in Fayetteville? Even Kentucky can have a few decent years, no reason why Vandy can't.

Tigeman
12/13/2010, 10:46 PM
Boy was I was wrong!

Auburn sure doesn't want to let this guy get out of the barn and be able to spill the beans to anyone.

$1.3mil to stay on as an O.C.??? Hmmmmm, somethings fishy!

And props to silverwheels for calling the story being wrong!

silverwheels
12/13/2010, 11:00 PM
I wasn't calling it wrong, technically. I was just waiting for independent confirmation.