PDA

View Full Version : So losing coordinators from a team that went 5-7 is bad?

adoniijahsooner
12/12/2010, 04:47 PM
:confused: Maybe this can be a good thing for Texas, and a potential problem for the rest of the big 12. I never seen so much angst about a team losing coaches who couldnt even get the team to keep fighting. Mack may view this as an opportunity for the program to have a fresh start.

Soonermagik
12/12/2010, 04:53 PM
It's a lose/lose for the Whorns and Florida.

Florida gets a coach who was responsible for one of the worst seasons in recent * history. He coached the defense that got torched by Iowa State, UCLA & Baylor @ home.

Whorns lose a great recruiter!! Not as big of a loss for *, but it still hurts morale, especially after the terrible season they just had.

Tigeman
12/12/2010, 04:54 PM
I actually agree w/ you. I think alot of their fans are starting to realize that.

But if your TX do you use this as a chance to totally clean house, ask mack to step down (he's getting pretty old) and go after Peterson?

adoniijahsooner
12/12/2010, 04:56 PM
I actually agree w/ you. I think alot of their fans are starting to realize that.

But if your TX do you use this as a chance to totally clean house, ask mack to step down (he's getting pretty old) and go after Peterson?

I think Mack at least deserves one more year to get things together. The guy was just in NCG last year.

Tigeman
12/12/2010, 05:03 PM
Which is EXACTLY why he should have never gone 5-7 and missed a bowl.

He's also responsible for never giving Muschamp a timeline. This phuck-up is totally his fault.

The boosters were already worried about his age and wanting him to step down and let Muschamp take the reigns.

While I agree you don't fire him, you definitely put the fire to his a$$!

Sooner_Tuf
12/12/2010, 06:12 PM
Mack is 59 years old. He is not exactly ancient by any standard other than teenagers on message boards. I haven't any cry from Texas Boosters wanting Mack to step down.

If anything Muschamp likely is the one to blame for all the tension at Texas. It wasn't until they gave him more responsibility that the tension began.

Personally I think Muschamp has a better chance of not being a good Head Coach than he does of being one. He is nearly forty years old and still acts like a spoiled little kid. Maybe he will smart enough to act like that when he is the boss.

Tigeman
12/12/2010, 06:25 PM
Well hell, for some reason I thought Mack was almost 70. He looks it at least! I'll retract that statement then, as yeah 59 isn't pushing anything.

I mean look at this guy... you can't blame me for mistaking his age!

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/tools/shared/mediahub/00/17/00/slideshow_1001702051_jwj_UT_OU_0926.jpg

bluedogok
12/12/2010, 08:28 PM
Mack is 59 years old. He is not exactly ancient by any standard other than teenagers on message boards. I haven't any cry from Texas Boosters wanting Mack to step down.
There is plenty among the fans, the boosters that count maybe not so much but then it has to get real bad for them to go public with anything. For the most part they didn't even go public when Mackovic was fired.

If anything Muschamp likely is the one to blame for all the tension at Texas. It wasn't until they gave him more responsibility that the tension began.
I think that the tension did get cranked up about that time.

Personally I think Muschamp has a better chance of not being a good Head Coach than he does of being one. He is nearly forty years old and still acts like a spoiled little kid. Maybe he will smart enough to act like that when he is the boss.
Mike Stoops and Bo Pellini don't seem to have cranked it down too much. I think that "fire" is just something in defensive coaches and may be hard to turn off.

Well hell, for some reason I thought Mack was almost 70. He looks it at least! I'll retract that statement then, as yeah 59 isn't pushing anything.

Greg Davis will turn 60 next year and Carl Reese was 60 when he was fired at Texas. Maybe there is an expiration date at 60 for coaches there, maybe Royal was ahead of the game when he retired from coaching at age 52, he retired from the AD position at age 60.

rekamrettuB
12/12/2010, 08:49 PM
:confused: Maybe this can be a good thing for Texas, and a potential problem for the rest of the big 12. I never seen so much angst about a team losing coaches who couldnt even get the team to keep fighting. Mack may view this as an opportunity for the program to have a fresh start.

Ya but how long is he going to be there? I mean he was close to hanging it up last I heard. I think that's where it hurts the most. These are the same coordinators that took them to a NC just 1 year ago. Yes it's bad.

missann
12/13/2010, 12:13 AM
I don't think it hurts UT either. Rumor has it they're getting a good recruiter to replace Will; and they all wanted Davis to leave anyway.

This just accelerates the turnaround. But we need them to be good anyway in our reduced conference.

bigfatjerk
12/13/2010, 12:18 AM
The same staff also went to the national title game and probably wins that game if their QB doesn't get hurt.

usaosooner
12/13/2010, 12:31 AM
Complete staff upheaval is a good thing.....wait......wut...........

missann
12/13/2010, 12:42 AM
The same staff also went to the national title game and probably wins that game if their QB doesn't get hurt.

UT had an easy schedule last year (with OU being down) and still almost gave it up in the CCG. They do come to play in title games, but who knows what would have happened had Saban not taken his foot off the gas?

FrostySooner
12/13/2010, 01:20 AM
I think refreshing a coaching staff every now and then is a good thing. In fact, we could use some fresh coaches at OU. Although Kevin Wilson did a great job, having him leave and bringing in some new philosophies might be good.

slh1234
12/13/2010, 01:32 AM
Mike Stoops and Bo Pellini don't seem to have cranked it down too much. I think that "fire" is just something in defensive coaches and may be hard to turn off.

Those are the two I thought of when someone said Muschamp acted like a spoiled child. I think that's a matter of perspective. I think it is competitiveness, and Muschamp seems to have it, too. He's certainly not alone in the way he acts.

sendbaht
12/13/2010, 04:41 AM
This hire of UF reminds me of the mistake USC make when they hired Lane.

Maybe Wil will be btter then Lane but only time will tell.

sendbaht
12/13/2010, 04:44 AM

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/cnishared/tools/shared/mediahub/00/17/00/slideshow_1001702051_jwj_UT_OU_0926.jpg

The guy in to back ground with the blue shirt looks like he has a mit up to catch donunts.

Leroy Lizard
12/13/2010, 06:16 AM
This hire of UF reminds me of the mistake USC make when they hired Lane.

Maybe Wil will be btter then Lane but only time will tell.

Let me ask: How is the hiring of Will different than the hiring of Stoops?

Both young hotshot DCs. Just sayin'.

tiki
12/13/2010, 07:26 AM
If anyone thinks that this is the start of a downfall for texas they are crazy. I mean come on this is texas we are talking about not PokeU. They are capable of hiring a more highly sought after DC, OC, HC then just about any other school in the country. The people laughing here at them might be the one crying when they replace the coordinators with good ones. I was hoping that it stayed the way it was for a few years to help us but it looks like they are about to upgrade.

Don't be so quick to laugh it might be them getting the last laugh if they hire right.

Just saying

kevpks
12/13/2010, 09:05 AM
Complete staff upheaval is not a good thing. Who does Mack have left to take with him to convince his prized recruits to stick around? Bevo and the ghey dudes from the fark source pic?

texaspokieokie
12/13/2010, 09:52 AM
UT had an easy schedule last year (with OU being down) and still almost gave it up in the CCG. They do come to play in title games, but who knows what would have happened had Saban not taken his foot off the gas?

i saw no signs of saban "taking his foot off the gas".

texaspokieokie
12/13/2010, 09:53 AM
I don't think it hurts UT either. Rumor has it they're getting a good recruiter to replace Will; and they all wanted Davis to leave anyway.

This just accelerates the turnaround. But we need them to be good anyway in our reduced conference.

we don 't ever need them to be good !!!!

Okie35
12/13/2010, 09:54 AM

He did and a lot of Bama fans I know hate when he does that. He gets really conservative after a while.

SoonerNutt
12/13/2010, 09:59 AM

I think it's probably good for them to lose Muschamp if Mack was going to stay a while. But it's not good that he ran off half the coaching staff before he left, and took the other half with him.

Mack had plenty of success before WM showed up, and their problems were at least in part caused by the friction between him, GD, and other coaches.

The question for Mack is, where do you go from here? There is no shortage of quality coaches who would love to come to UT and make their name, so he just has to make the right choices.

This recruiting season might take a hit, and you'll be going into a new season with a shell-shocked group of players, now having to learn new systems on both sides of the ball.

I do think that firing GD was a mistake, not because he was such a great OC, but because he was one of Mack's guys, and now Mack has no guys. It will be a whole new staff, and where is the loyalty going to come from. Dissension was the poison last year, and now you need guys who will all be on the same page.

UT is at a critical spot in its history right now. If they can't go out and have alot of success within the next two seasons, Mack probably won't survive it, and they'll be out looking for the next guy. Nobody since DKR had more success at UT than Mack, so it's not exactly easy to find the right formula for that kind of success, regardless of the resources you have at your disposal. The next guy is likely to be less successful than Mack, so UT fans better hope this next batch of asst. coaches can right the ship quickly.

texaspokieokie
12/13/2010, 10:25 AM
He did and a lot of Bama fans I know hate when he does that. He gets really conservative after a while.

in the champ game ???

meoveryouxinfinity
12/13/2010, 10:32 AM
Recruits.

That's one thing

rekamrettuB
12/13/2010, 11:26 AM
in the champ game ???

3rd qtr.

King Crimson
12/13/2010, 11:31 AM
Mack has always been as good as his coordinators. imo. or, someone who can run the zone-read a la VY or Colt. Davis was a snoozer with Simms and Gilbert isn't reminding anyone of Thomas Lott. strange lack of talent at WR (minus Shipley and Sweed) and RB (who was more overrated than El Ced?).

texaspokieokie
12/13/2010, 11:32 AM
3rd qtr.

baloney !

westbrooke
12/13/2010, 11:52 AM
baloney !

Hmm, you're the first person not wearing burnt orange that I've heard voice this opinion. Not meant to be an insult, btw, I'm just surprised. To me, that Bama team looked like they thought they had the game won at halftime, and they didn't realize it wasn't over yet until UT put some points on the board to make it look close.

To the point of the thread: I think adoniijahsooner is on the right track. Texas will probably get better faster in this situation than if they weren't replacing all of these coaches. They need a philosophical shift, and that's harder to do with all of the same coaches there. The immediate future is grim in either case, but Mack needed this kick in the ***. As much as I'm enjoying the chaos, I think it will help them in the long run.

sooneron
12/13/2010, 12:02 PM
With all of this upheaval, I really don't see the whorns winning more than 9 games over the next two years. Too difficult to retool that quickly. There is NO continuation going into the spring for them. :mack: is going to need to pull a rabbit out...

adoniijahsooner
12/13/2010, 12:03 PM
Hmm, you're the first person not wearing burnt orange that I've heard voice this opinion. Not meant to be an insult, btw, I'm just surprised. To me, that Bama team looked like they thought they had the game won at halftime, and they didn't realize it wasn't over yet until UT put some points on the board to make it look close.

To the point of the thread: I think adoniijahsooner is on the right track. Texas will probably get better faster in this situation than if they weren't replacing all of these coaches. They need a philosophical shift, and that's harder to do with all of the same coaches there. The immediate future is grim in either case, but Mack needed this kick in the ***. As much as I'm enjoying the chaos, I think it will help them in the long run.

On top of that, Mack doesn't have bowl game prep to worry about, so he can focus entirely on what direction he wants to go. Mushmouth, from what I gather is the person who pretty much caused division in the program. Oh, Texas also has a roster full of excellent recruits.

sooneron
12/13/2010, 12:03 PM
And I really do think that osu and atm are gaining ground. I guarantee you that Sherman and dippity do are jumping all over :mack:s recruits.

King Crimson
12/13/2010, 12:07 PM
And I really do think that osu and atm are gaining ground. I guarantee you that Sherman and dippity do are jumping all over :mack:s recruits.

we'll get our guys, but i thought ATM would make the move in the early 00's when they hired Fran and Mack had the "can't win the big game" tag. losing to Mike Sherman is like ending up with the fat chick after the party and getting shut down when you go for boob. so, i've heard.

i'm pulling hard for the ex-AFA D coordinator DeReuyter to take the next step....part of my secret plan for Colorado to hire Troy Calhoun, which failed when Bill "God" McCartney hijacked the hiring process in Boulder.

we need ATM to suck on D.

westbrooke
12/13/2010, 01:16 PM
On top of that, Mack doesn't have bowl game prep to worry about, so he can focus entirely on what direction he wants to go. Mushmouth, from what I gather is the person who pretty much caused division in the program. Oh, Texas also has a roster full of excellent recruits.

Hahahahahahahahahaha! That never gets old.

Jacie
12/13/2010, 01:33 PM
I believe the clinical term for this is "addition through subtraction" . . .

delhalew
12/13/2010, 01:37 PM
I prefer to face the devil you know.
Mind you, that doesn't stop me from laughing at them.

AggieGirl2005
12/13/2010, 02:24 PM
we'll get our guys, but i thought ATM would make the move in the early 00's when they hired Fran and Mack had the "can't win the big game" tag. losing to Mike Sherman is like ending up with the fat chick after the party and getting shut down when you go for boob. so, i've heard.

i'm pulling hard for the ex-AFA D coordinator DeReuyter to take the next step....part of my secret plan for Colorado to hire Troy Calhoun, which failed when Bill "God" McCartney hijacked the hiring process in Boulder.
we need ATM to suck on D.

So that was YOU!!!! :mad: :mad:

MamaMia
12/13/2010, 02:43 PM
I don't know if losing all those coaches will help Texas or cause them grief but whats funny is watching the horns have a total meltdown over it all. http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/OUmom/giggle.gif

madillsoonerfan5353
12/13/2010, 05:46 PM

Throwing 13 total passes in a 60-minute football in 2009? That's how he took his foot off the gas and it almost cost him. If JS would of come alive any SOONER it would have cost him.

:gary:

rekamrettuB
12/13/2010, 05:52 PM
baloney !

Haam!

badger
12/13/2010, 06:05 PM
It amazes me how making $5 million annually does not make you the least bit accountable. He did not hold himself personally accountable in public and probably didn't privately either while having the teams run wind sprints or beat tires with sledgehammers or whatever the hell they do after "not our standard" moments... like losing.

Instead, he allowed Greg Davis to take the fall. The $5 million dollar coach allows his longtime offensive coordinator to take the fall. Gee, thanks buddy.

Then, Will Muschamp, Coach Boom, Coach Blood, Coach-in-Waiting, whatever, walks... and he walks to a big paycheck at Florida. Don't want to take responsibility for seven losses and retire? C ya, Mack Daddy.

And then... Major. Major, Major, Major. You left the offensive coordinator job at Alabama to take on an assistant job at Texas. You were the youngest BCS conference coordinator in the country at 29! A rising star, taking a step backwards for what? His alma mater? The coach who put him on the bench for a whiny, chokejob golden haired wonder QB with a famous daddy?! Now, relegated to the proverbial bench once again, not getting promoted by Mack to the "starting job" so to speak. Watch as your team loses to the likes of OU and half a dozen others while you're stuck coaching a position you didn't even play.

Mack, step up and be accountable already. Actually, don't We like beating Texas.

texaspokieokie
12/29/2010, 12:21 PM
saw where WR coach Bobby Kennedy is leaving TX for CO>

that makes 5 that have left.

Sooner_Tuf
12/29/2010, 06:47 PM

He didn't play his Heisman winning RB in the 3rd quarter. They played a bend don't break D until Shipley started to close up the score a bit.

He hammers down in the fourth quarter with Ingram and steps up the D to win by 16 after Texas closed up the 24-6 score to three points down.

Even with Colt on the field Texas didn't have the ponies to play with Alabama.

sooner518
12/29/2010, 06:53 PM
seriously, what the hell is taking them so long to actually hire someone?