PDA

View Full Version : A Lesson from the Horn Boards

Leroy Lizard
12/12/2010, 03:21 PM
If there is anything to learn while reading the Horn boards, it's the danger of allowing an emotional attachment to a former player outweigh reason. Because Major Applewhite played at UT, he is now the second coming of Paul Bear Bryant to Horn fans and needs to be retained at all costs.

What exactly is so great about him? He's the RB coach at UT -- did he do an amazing job? He has held assistant coach positions elsewhere, but I don't recall his career being exceptional.

I think the same could apply to our devotion to Josh Heupel. Yes, he's a hero to Sooner fans because of his playing days, and he has done a great job as QBs coach, but that doesn't make him the greatest coach ever.

NCSooner18
12/12/2010, 03:37 PM
I guess the difference is that Josh is acknowledged to have done a great job with our qb's where Major has seemingly done very little with their highly recruited running backs.

King Crimson
12/12/2010, 03:39 PM
Applewhite was so great, Mack benched him for Chris Simms.

reading horn boards is like scratching yer brain with a screwdriver through yer ear. you'd think they've won every NC since 1969 instead of just one.

OK2U
12/12/2010, 03:41 PM
Exactly....and Heupal won a MNC ring, what did Applecore accomplish as a player ( I honestly don't remember).

soonerchk
12/12/2010, 03:41 PM

And it worked out splendidly! For us anyway. Chris Simms is still my all time favorite * qb.

SoonerinSouthlake
12/12/2010, 03:44 PM
reading horn boards is like scratching yer brain with a screwdriver through yer ear. you'd think they've won every NC since 1969 instead of just one.

This applies to every single topic discussed by those freaking idiots. It it EXACTLY why I hate UT

TXBOOMER
12/12/2010, 03:59 PM
Stoops likes hard arses as Coordinators. Josh is years away from that. I'm sure he will be a coordinator elsewhere before here. Which means he will leave eventually.

cjames317
12/12/2010, 03:59 PM
... reading horn boards is like scratching yer brain with a screwdriver through yer ear....

:D

oudavid1
12/12/2010, 04:24 PM
Ill just say this now, i dont care if Heupel leaves tomorrow.

Whatever is best for the team and the coaches.

Tigeman
12/12/2010, 04:24 PM
The thing about Heupel is even as a player Stoops said he was one of his best coaches on the team. Leech and Mangino both said he was like having a coach on the field.

He's unproven yes.... but so was Bob! Just saying...

From everything we hear he is a hell of coach and just has a knack for the X's and O's. I'll be indifferent if he leaves, but I think he'll turn out as a good one and it might be worth the risk.

ashley
12/12/2010, 04:31 PM
Yes, how many times have we seen the same thing on this board.

boomermagic
12/12/2010, 04:37 PM
I like Josh as well but he is a very good qb coach and thats all.. Kevin Wilson is one of the best OC's anywhere in my opinion I should say WAS now he is a head coach.. The guy at osu is who we need calling our plays and running our offense IMO.. If he can do what he's done with their talent I'm sure he would be great here..

silverwheels
12/12/2010, 04:41 PM
Holgerson is not coming here.

PLaw
12/12/2010, 05:22 PM

Applewhite is earning his respect in the coaching community. In fact, there is thought that Coach Boom may hire him as the OC at UF.

Applewhite saved Mack's a$$ more than once, but if Boom calls from Gainsville, then I'm not sure he will do it again.

BTW, Huepel >> Applewhite. Really like what he is doing with our QB's.

BOOMER

GKeeper316
12/12/2010, 05:27 PM
people keep saying they want josh heuple to be the OC now that wilson's gone... why?

Leroy Lizard
12/12/2010, 05:36 PM
people keep saying they want josh heuple to be the OC now that wilson's gone... why?

Better yet, if Josh Heuple had been a former Razorback instead of Sooner, would we still be wanting him to be the OC? Based on...?

boomermagic
12/12/2010, 06:05 PM
Holgerson is not coming here.

It could happen .. He won't be here if he's not offered thats for sure..

85sooners
12/12/2010, 06:07 PM
Ill just say this now, i dont care if Heupel leaves tomorrow.

Whatever is best for the team and the coaches.
Sooner fans feel the same about you

boomermagic
12/12/2010, 06:12 PM
The thing about Heupel is even as a player Stoops said he was one of his best coaches on the team. Leech and Mangino both said he was like having a coach on the field.

From everything we hear he is a hell of coach and just has a knack for the X's and O's. I'll be indifferent if he leaves, but I think he'll turn out as a good one and it might be worth the risk.

Josh needs more experience IMO he has only coached certain area's and has been limited to that so far.. I think if Josh were to be an assistant OC along with whoever our new OC is he could learn and learn quickly.. I want to see Josh continue developing our qb prospects.. IMO he would be hard to replace as our qb coach.. Maybe he could do both as an assistant..

boomermagic
12/12/2010, 06:13 PM

That was rude man.. He said whatever is best for the team..

btb916
12/12/2010, 06:16 PM
Better yet, if Josh Heuple had been a former Razorback instead of Sooner, would we still be wanting him to be the OC? Based on...?

A lot of people probably wouldn't have as much of an affinity for him as they do now. You can probably count me in that list. It's not irrational, either, which I think you're implying. It would only be irrational if he wasn't doing a good job.

KsSooner
12/12/2010, 06:18 PM
Opie was Big 12 offensive player of the year, if I remember correctly. Then got benched in favor of Chrissy the next year.

slh1234
12/12/2010, 06:20 PM
Opie was Big 12 offensive player of the year, if I remember correctly. Then got benched in favor of Chrissy the next year.

Which was very good for OU in the next RRS IIRC.

sooned
12/12/2010, 06:30 PM
While both Applewhite and Heupel were contemporaries, I would choose Heupel as a potential coordinator, not because of an actual coaching experience advantage, but because Heupel grew up a coach's son. He grew up with coaching much as did the Stoops brothers.

His life -long exposure to coaching and his extraordinary coaching experience have combined to produce a saavy understanding of the nuances of offensive football. Plus he is a winner in every sense of the word. I for one would love to have him as OU offensive coordinator.

soonerchk
12/12/2010, 06:39 PM
Okay seriously? The guy won us a national championship. His name is Heupel.

slh1234
12/12/2010, 06:41 PM
Okay seriously? The guy won us a national championship. His name is Heupel.

I think that's kind of the point though, isn't it? I think it's a question to stir introspection. So if he had done that for some other team, would we feel the same way about him?

soonerchk
12/12/2010, 06:44 PM
I think that's kind of the point though, isn't it? I think it's a question to stir introspection. So if he had done that for some other team, would we feel the same way about him?

It's actually about the spelling. Minor and annoying to most, but a pet peeve of mine.

slh1234
12/12/2010, 06:45 PM
It's actually about the spelling. Minor and annoying to most, but a pet peeve of mine.

I see. My apologies for jumping in, then.

I'm pretty good with spelling, and I've never been able to spell Josh's last night right :). I'll just refer to him as "Josh." That'll be safer when I know you're watching :).

soonerchk
12/12/2010, 06:48 PM
I see. My apologies for jumping in, then.

I'm pretty good with spelling, and I've never been able to spell Josh's last night right :). I'll just refer to him as "Josh." That'll be safer when I know you're watching :).

And I am always watching...:eek:

Penguin
12/12/2010, 07:58 PM
This thread makes my head hurt.

GottaHavePride
12/12/2010, 08:22 PM

What about that Woolfork guy?

;)

cleller
12/12/2010, 08:31 PM
At least Heupel never ran downfield to nyah nyah an opposing DB.

oudavid1
12/12/2010, 09:22 PM

http://www.legaljuice.com/not%20cool%20not-cool%20uncool%20very.jpg

That was rude man.. He said whatever is best for the team..

ya! besides, who cares about Oudavid1 anyway

soonerchk
12/12/2010, 09:35 PM

;)

That pass he caught from Hyple against Nebraska was amazing.

JRAM
12/12/2010, 09:40 PM
Sort of like some OU kids that hang on to Heuple.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
12/12/2010, 09:53 PM
And it worked out splendidly! For us anyway. Chris Simms is still my all time favorite OU qb.

Fixed :cool:

StoopTroup
12/12/2010, 10:13 PM
Bob is gonna hire Ron Turner.

TXBOOMER
12/12/2010, 10:28 PM
Why the F does anyone that pretends to know a GD thing about OU football think the next OC isn't going to be Norvell?????

bent rider
12/12/2010, 10:41 PM
While both Applewhite and Heupel were contemporaries, I would choose Heupel as a potential coordinator, not because of an actual coaching experience advantage, but because Heupel grew up a coach's son. He grew up with coaching much as did the Stoops brothers.

His life -long exposure to coaching and his extraordinary coaching experience have combined to produce a saavy understanding of the nuances of offensive football. Plus he is a winner in every sense of the word. I for one would love to have him as OU offensive coordinator.

All of this plus he was well known as a great film study QB, a cerebral QB. Not so sure about Applewhite, can't say I've been paying 'tention to his career.

Meanwhile, enjoying some schadenfreude reading ShaggyBevo.com

King Crimson
12/13/2010, 12:53 AM

;)

i'm a huge Billy Simms fan.

goingoneight
12/13/2010, 01:30 AM
I think it's more than a coincidence that as long as Josh has been here, OUr QBs have been great. Obviously, during his playing time he was. He comes back as a GA, Jason White. He leaves... Bomar. He comes back, ENA, Sam and now LJ. It's more than evident when you watch a Heupel-developed QB play the game as well.

LiveLaughLove
12/13/2010, 03:05 AM

This.

The two cases aren't the same.

Josh has been a coach since he was a kid. His greatest asset and reason why we went undefeated was his uncanny ability to know what was happening on the field.

That wasn't an accident it was his coaches brain in a players body.

When Bob thinks he is ready, then he is ready. Bob isn't Mack, thank God.

Scott D
12/13/2010, 12:01 PM
We all know that Applewhite will be benched as a coach there for Chris Simms anyway.

adoniijahsooner
12/13/2010, 04:31 PM
If there is anything to learn while reading the Horn boards, it's the danger of allowing an emotional attachment to a former player outweigh reason. Because Major Applewhite played at UT, he is now the second coming of Paul Bear Bryant to Horn fans and needs to be retained at all costs.

What exactly is so great about him? He's the RB coach at UT -- did he do an amazing job? He has held assistant coach positions elsewhere, but I don't recall his career being exceptional.

I think the same could apply to our devotion to Josh Heupel. Yes, he's a hero to Sooner fans because of his playing days, and he has done a great job as QBs coach, but that doesn't make him the greatest coach ever.

Well certainly he is not greatest coach ever; but Stoops has placed LJ, Murray, and Broyles under his care.

kevpks
12/13/2010, 04:46 PM
Heupel coached up a Heisman winner and helped turn Landry into a road warrior. Major Applewhite turns 5 star runningbacks into UFL practice sqaud alternates.

Leroy Lizard
12/13/2010, 05:03 PM
Question: Are we losing a damn good QBs coach?

badger
12/13/2010, 05:21 PM
The thing that perplexes me most about Major is why he would leave the off coordinator spot at Bammer to be an assistant at Texas. Was he run off after Bammer lost its last four games? Unlike Heupel, he actually has coordinator experience (at Rice and Alabama) and while experience doesn't guarantee success, it looks good on the resume.

So either Major sucks as a coordinator or Mack is hellbent on ruining Major's career aspirations and life, as he as basically benched him twice in his time at Texas, once as a QB, once as a potential coordinator if he doesn't promote him now.

As for Josh, I bet he still will keep working with quarterbacks even as he calls plays, even if he's not on the sidelines running up and down to hype up the crowd versus Mizzou when we're on defense... by far my greatest Josh highlight since I missed the 2000 season :)

fwsooner22
12/13/2010, 05:26 PM
This.

The two cases aren't the same.

Josh has been a coach since he was a kid. His greatest asset and reason why we went undefeated was his uncanny ability to know what was happening on the field.

That wasn't an accident it was his coaches brain in a players body.

When Bob thinks he is ready, then he is ready. Bob isn't Mack, thank God.

There it is. Trust in Bob. Some just don't get it even after all this time.

How many offensive coordinators has he hired from outside the program (aside from the first one). ZERO.

Way to go LLL.

goodonya
12/13/2010, 05:36 PM
I agree. Either trust Bob or don't. His decision making on personnel is historically fine with me.