PDA

View Full Version : Did the Metrodome roof just collapse?

soonerinabilene
12/12/2010, 08:55 AM
reports on espnradio are saying the roof may have caved in?

SoonerDan1
12/12/2010, 08:58 AM
just showed it on channel 9 on okc

OUHOMER
12/12/2010, 08:59 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5911532

The inflatable teflon roof of the Metrodome in Minneapolis has collapsed under the weight of snow after a heavy storm passed through Saturday, according to local media reports.

The roof's failure called into question the Minnesota Vikings' Monday night game against the New York Giants, which was already postponed after the Giants' flight was diverted Saturday to Kansas City as air travel was shut down in and out of Minnesota.

A photograph published on the website of KARE 11 TV shows the Metrodome in darkness, void of the familiar white expanse that normally covers the Vikings' stadium.

1890MilesToNorman
12/12/2010, 09:01 AM
Another story about it.

http://www.startribune.com/local/111720484.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUi D3aPc:_Yyc:aU1yDEmP:QMDCinchO7DU

colleyvillesooner
12/12/2010, 09:03 AM
http://i.pgu.me/Qco9oQaw_original.jpg

Flagstaffsooner
12/12/2010, 09:06 AM
I thought this was gonna be about Farve.

VA Sooner
12/12/2010, 09:07 AM
Giants-Vikings game postponed Monday night. Giants are stuck in a Kansas City airport. Now Coughlin needs to keep his players from shooting themselves in the leg at the airport bar.

Okie35
12/12/2010, 09:28 AM
I thought this was gonna be about Farve.

It is, because of that, Favre will still be going streaking!!!!!

http://manfather.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/streaking.jpg

SunnySooner
12/12/2010, 09:40 AM
You'd think they'd have some kind of machinery in place to prevent that. It's Minnesota. They get a few flurries up there now and then.

JLEW1818
12/12/2010, 09:41 AM
i think "deflate" is a better word

olevetonahill
12/12/2010, 09:43 AM
http://i.pgu.me/Qco9oQaw_original.jpg

Is this the worlds largest above ground pool ?

OU-HSV
12/12/2010, 09:50 AM
Giants-Vikings game postponed Monday night. Giants are stuck in a Kansas City airport. Now Coughlin needs to keep his players from shooting themselves in the leg at the airport bar.

The thing is the game was postponed yesterday. Now that the roof collapsed this morning, the game is going to be moved again.

First, I'm glad no one got injured in this.
Second, this impacts fantasy football as some of you know.
This really messes with my fantasy football roster since I have AD as my main RB in one of my leagues. And this is the first weekend of the playoffs. I hope they make a decision/announcement soon on the new time and place of the game, ugh.

JLEW1818
12/12/2010, 09:52 AM
word is that they can play at the university of Minnesota's new stadium.. but it's like -10 degrees

1890MilesToNorman
12/12/2010, 09:53 AM

Fill that thing with chocolate chip ice cream and I think we'll have a winner!!

JohnnyMack
12/12/2010, 09:56 AM
The thing is the game was postponed yesterday. Now that the roof collapsed this morning, the game is going to be moved again.

First, I'm glad no one got injured in this.
Second, this impacts fantasy football as some of you know.
This really messes with my fantasy football roster since I have AD as my main RB in one of my leagues. And this is the first weekend of the playoffs. I hope they make a decision/announcement soon on the new time and place of the game, ugh.

Exactly. I don't have any players, but I'm going against someone that has Sidney Rice and Ahmad Bradshaw. What happens if they postpone the game until the end of the season?

JLEW1818
12/12/2010, 09:57 AM
they will play it on Tuesday before the move it to the end of the season. i would think.

OU-HSV
12/12/2010, 09:58 AM
Exactly. I don't have any players, but I'm going against someone that has Sidney Rice and Ahmad Bradshaw. What happens if they postpone the game until the end of the season?

Yeah that's what's on my mind too. In this one league I have AD, and in another league I'm using Ahmad Bradshaw. I guess if they move the game to end of season, we'll be s.o.l. and we'll have to plug in other players for today.

colleyvillesooner
12/12/2010, 10:14 AM
word is that they can play at the university of Minnesota's new stadium.. but it's like -10 degrees

Giants didn't bring their outside gear.

JLEW1818
12/12/2010, 10:20 AM
wow, this really could be a disaster for fantasy football leagues

olevetonahill
12/12/2010, 10:27 AM
Fill that thing with chocolate chip ice cream and I think we'll have a winner!!

Naw, Lets do the Chocolate Syrup and some hawt babes . Now that would be allsome .:hot:

picasso
12/12/2010, 10:28 AM
wow, this really could be a disaster for fantasy football dorks

fixed.

Okie35
12/12/2010, 10:39 AM
fixed.

:cool: true.

1890MilesToNorman
12/12/2010, 11:00 AM
Naw, Lets do the Chocolate Syrup and some hawt babes . Now that would be allsome .:hot:

We could get a whole bunch of hawt babes in that tub! :D

olevetonahill
12/12/2010, 11:03 AM
We could get a whole bunch of hawt babes in that tub! :D

Im liking this better an better :cool:

jumperstop
12/12/2010, 11:16 AM
Giants didn't bring their outside gear.

Didn't Minnesota have an indoor field too? Unless they tore it down when they built the new one.

brian
12/12/2010, 11:31 AM
fixed.

if you havent noticed, fantasy football is not really some small niche of dorks

tcrb
12/12/2010, 11:37 AM
Didn't Minnesota have an indoor field too? Unless they tore it down when they built the new one.

The Gophers used to play in the Metrodome until they built their new outdoor stadium. Last year was their first year playing there. And this isnt the first time the dome's roof has collapsed. I think it's gone down at least two other times. The thing is way outdated and should be leveled, but the taxpayers of MN aren't fond of financing stadiums for multi-millionaires to conduct their business in.

bluedogok
12/12/2010, 11:50 AM
You'd think they'd have some kind of machinery in place to prevent that. It's Minnesota. They get a few flurries up there now and then.
They had something like 20" of snow in less than 24 hours, an extreme snow storm even by Minnesota standards. I think the roof is designed for up to about 10" per 24 hour period. They way it is designed is the heat from inside the building melts the snow off at a certain rate to stay within the design criteria. When it snows at a much greater rate then the show can't melt fast enough to shed off the fabric and piles up creating the structural overloading, which is why the roof collapsed.

The fabric domes were the rage at the time because it was viewed as a cost effective solution to the hard structure roofs. Thankfully due to computer based structural modeling it has rendered the fabric domes an unnecessary solution, no one builds them for this type of use anymore. They have been trying to get a new stadium up there for years for the Vikings, Twins and the Gophers as the Metrodome is well past its original design life. The Gophers got their new on-campus stadium two years ago and the Twins got their new stadium (Target Field) this past season.

I still think the Vikings lost their toughness going to the dome from the old Metropolitan Stadium, they should be playing football outdoors in Minnesota. I think they need to move the game to the campus stadium but it will more than likely end up in a dome somewhere else.

JLEW1818
12/12/2010, 11:55 AM
game has been moved to Ford Field, Monday night

bigfatjerk
12/12/2010, 12:24 PM
The video they just showed on Fox is amazing.

sperry
12/12/2010, 12:25 PM
They had something like 20" of snow in less than 24 hours, an extreme snow storm even by Minnesota standards. I think the roof is designed for up to about 10" per 24 hour period. They way it is designed is the heat from inside the building melts the snow off at a certain rate to stay within the design criteria. When it snows at a much greater rate then the show can't melt fast enough to shed off the fabric and piles up creating the structural overloading, which is why the roof collapsed.

The fabric domes were the rage at the time because it was viewed as a cost effective solution to the hard structure roofs. Thankfully due to computer based structural modeling it has rendered the fabric domes an unnecessary solution, no one builds them for this type of use anymore. They have been trying to get a new stadium up there for years for the Vikings, Twins and the Gophers as the Metrodome is well past its original design life. The Gophers got their new on-campus stadium two years ago and the Twins got their new stadium (Target Field) this past season.

I still think the Vikings lost their toughness going to the dome from the old Metropolitan Stadium, they should be playing football outdoors in Minnesota. I think they need to move the game to the campus stadium but it will more than likely end up in a dome somewhere else.

My sports law professor is a VP for the NFL, and apparently if a new stadium doesn't get announced, the Vikings are probably headed to Los Angeles.

OUthunder
12/12/2010, 12:33 PM
17.1 inches of snow...God, I'm glad that we moved out of that **** hole of a state.

OU-HSV
12/12/2010, 12:34 PM
game has been moved to Ford Field, Monday night

Yeah just heard that as well. That's good news for us fantasy footballers :D

bluedogok
12/12/2010, 12:45 PM
My sports law professor is a VP for the NFL, and apparently if a new stadium doesn't get announced, the Vikings are probably headed to Los Angeles.
Wouldn't a surprise, it has been rumored even before Red McCombs sold the team to Wilf.

The roof is shredded, they just need to completely remove it and make the Vikings the outdoor team they should be :D

rekamrettuB
12/12/2010, 12:47 PM

But dorks nonetheless.

I play too and can't stand people that constantly talk about their fantasy football team...which they do ad nauseum. I would much rather hear about a person's golf game.

bigfatjerk
12/12/2010, 12:53 PM
AAyLX2hY7E0

BudSooner
12/12/2010, 12:58 PM
Damn, that's kind of strange having video of an empty dark stadium....is this for security purposes?

tulsaoilerfan
12/12/2010, 01:06 PM
Just God's way of protecting the Streak ;)

rekamrettuB
12/12/2010, 01:09 PM
Damn, that's kind of strange having video of an empty dark stadium....is this for security purposes?

Probably motion sensitive cameras.

Heck they should just play in it. It can't be much lower than JerryWorld's hugemegatron thing.

bluedogok
12/12/2010, 01:26 PM
All stadiums have security cameras inside and outside of them now.

GrapevineSooner
12/12/2010, 01:33 PM
Well, at the least the NHL has another potential Winter Classic site.

jumperstop
12/12/2010, 01:35 PM

And it's not like the collapse came as a surprise with the roof leaking like that. They were probably waiting there to catch it on film if it did happen.

Sooner_Tuf
12/12/2010, 01:36 PM

I would imagine they had crews there waiting to clear the roof in case the winds slowed down. The news may have even been there as they had a game scheduled there for today.

Cool video though.

picasso
12/12/2010, 02:04 PM

I know I know, it's a large niche of dorks.;)

soonerboy_odanorth
12/12/2010, 02:46 PM
Hi. Sorry, I just dug out, but I'm back and can post now. Whew!

My suburb registered 21.5 inches. With the drifting it is literally up to your eyeballs in places. No, I'm not 4'9". A good 6', thank you.

I wish I had someplace to dump some images so I could post them... we've taken some photos that illustrate it. It' pretty amazing.

But, MNDOT has done a great job, roads are clear enough to get around pretty easily.

The worst part is yet to come though... overnight temps expected to be around -14 without the wind chill. So it is gonna be a bit nippy.

Now about that new stadium we need...

King Crimson
12/12/2010, 02:58 PM

bring back Bud Grant. he ain't skeered.

Tigeman
12/12/2010, 03:20 PM
Wow, that video is amazing

And vet you mentioned chocolate syrup....I was thinking Baby Oil or whip cream! Chocolate syrup gets to sticky.... been there...done that ;)

Newbomb Turk
12/12/2010, 03:20 PM
Now about that new stadium we need...

no doubt. I've seen a baseball and football game in the Metrodome. What a piece of crap.

BudSooner
12/12/2010, 03:21 PM
All stadiums have security cameras inside and outside of them now.I gotcha, I just meant it's a domed facility, not the sort of place where some kids could jump the fence to get in.
Cool video.

MI Sooner
12/12/2010, 05:40 PM

Ha! They should just build a huge bonfire on the 50 and make it the world's largest hot tub. Someone get aTm on the line.

Tigeman
12/12/2010, 06:02 PM
Ha! They should just build a huge bonfire on the 50 and make it the world's largest hot tub. Someone get aTm on the line.

:eek::O

Get ready to get hammered for that one!

:pop:

StoopTroup
12/12/2010, 06:07 PM
My inside Sources say everything is fine....it's just a small sewing job.

Frisco
12/12/2010, 09:46 PM

Wilf wants a stadium and unless something changes dramatically he's only going to California if they'll build him one. But they won't. And even if they do, that's not the only factor at play. A stadium is not easy to get in the current economy, in any state. There are two other teams (Jaguar and Bills) that are more likely to be headed to LA.

StoopTroup
12/12/2010, 09:49 PM
Wilf wants a stadium and unless something changes dramatically he's only going to California if they'll build him one. But they won't. And even if they do, that's not the only factor at play. A stadium is not easy to get in the current economy, in any state. There are two other teams (Jaguar and Bills) that are more likely to be headed to LA.

Grapevine, TX has some land.....they might build them a Stadium. They are looking for a decent Team to watch.