PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please

aero
12/11/2010, 02:29 PM
What college football head coaching job would you consider a step up from the one at OU? Maybe it's homerism, but I don't regard ANY other job as a step up. A few could be considered lateral at best but they have their own drawbacks.
Also, have we ever had a head coach leave on his own to go coach another elite program?

85sooners
12/11/2010, 02:31 PM
Stoops to Florida :confused:

Tulsa_Fireman
12/11/2010, 02:36 PM
WILSON TO INDIANA

FIRE BOB DAVIE

rekamrettuB
I would say Texas for sure. It's the ultimate job.

waynepayne
This just really needs to stop already.

KBoomer11
12/11/2010, 02:38 PM
I would say OU is in the top tier of jobs, easy. No job is better but there are a few equally as good.

Jacie
12/11/2010, 02:52 PM
This question cannot be answered becaue everyone is biased. Strictly speaking, one should couch it in terms of the criteria used to determine what is best. If it is a school's commitment to facilities and support, that is one way but another might include location (again, biased to some degree), tradition, past success, academics or completely random things such as school colors or fight song.

Supporters from different schools will make a case based on the criteria in which theirs excels while ignoring those where it falls short. The question cannot be answered by any measurable standard.

meoveryouxinfinity
12/11/2010, 02:55 PM
Definitely USC before they were caught cheatin'. They literally could recruit ANYONE ....($$!$$$)

Probably Texas. Again, they can recruit anyone and they have the budget but they don't quite have the historical pull that USC has.

Maybe Ohio State. Recruits, money, tradition, winning trend right now.

IGotNoTiming
12/11/2010, 02:59 PM
Only one above OU:

The University of Southern North Dakota
or is that The University of Northern South Dakota?

noobalicious
12/11/2010, 03:03 PM
I've heard Appalachian State is hot, hot, hot!

aero
This just really needs to stop already.

I'm not posting this saying anything about BS staying or going. I have always wondered how others felt about the head coaching position at OU. I've tried to look at it unbiased and have always felt OU was the top of the heap. I can understand if somebody had roots at another school, or family, etc. But as far as football programs, I've never thought there was another better. I see some saying Texas and while that would be a great job, I've never thought it a step up from OU. Not even close. Would it be a cushier gig? Maybe. But not a step up in stature of programs.

fadada1
there is no job that is a "step up" from OU.

there are only jobs that are "on par" with OU:

bama
florida
ohio state

StatGeek
12/11/2010, 03:04 PM
if your goal is to win games, and championships there isnt a better job in the country.

MeMyself&Me
12/11/2010, 03:05 PM
Texas for sure.

Probably Ohio State.

Used to could say USC too but they need to get out of probation before that's a good place to be again.

Outside of that, I don't think there's anything that's more than a lateral move.

MamaMia
12/11/2010, 03:15 PM
Texas for sure.

Probably Ohio State.

Used to could say USC too but they need to get out of probation before that's a good place to be again.

Outside of that, I don't think there's anything that's more than a lateral move.

Who would want to wear that ugly color? :confused:

aero
12/11/2010, 03:24 PM
I'm curious how some consider Texas to be a step up. I'm talking about program prestige here. Not who has the biggest flat screen tv or best carpet. While Texas has a decent history and reputation, I wouldn't rate it ahead or even on the same level as OU. I think arguments could be made that USC, Bama, Notre Dame, Michigan could be equal as far as program prestige and history. Still hard to say any of those would be a step up.
Texas and Fla/FlaSt obviously would be great for recruiting but it doesn't seem to have given them an overwhelming advantage. Fla had a good run but no different than others have through the years. You get good players and have a good 3-5 year run. A little different than a 50 plus year and counting of excellence and contending for championships (with of course a blip in the 90's :eek: ). I still don't view those programs equal to OU.

Penguin
12/11/2010, 03:26 PM
Simon Fraser University, the first Canadian school to join the NCAA.

Tigeman
12/11/2010, 03:27 PM
My rank on coaching gigs

1. Texas

2. OU, Bama, Florida, Ohio St., LSU, USC (when not on probation), Nebbish

3. Oregon (on their way up the ladder w/ daddy Knight), Michigan, Tenn. FSU

These are based on recruiting, available resources, ease of winning a NC, and to a lesser extent... tradition. As we've seen in recent years with Oregon, money can trump tradition.

usaosooner
12/11/2010, 03:27 PM
Texas is a step up cause of Recruiting... same for USC ( in none NCAA years) and UF.. Recruiting base is much deeper and kids usually stay home!

Tigeman
12/11/2010, 03:39 PM
Texas is a step up cause of Recruiting... same for USC ( in none NCAA years) and UF.. Recruiting base is much deeper and kids usually stay home!

In addition their $$$$. Like it or not, they make more than anybody

AlboSooner
12/11/2010, 03:42 PM
There is no step up programs to OU in terms of tradition. Personally I detest the tropical weather, where it's always hot and humid.

MeMyself&Me
12/11/2010, 03:46 PM
Who would want to wear that ugly color? :confused:

That's a very good point!

I'm curious how some consider Texas to be a step up. I'm talking about program prestige here. Not who has the biggest flat screen tv or best carpet. While Texas has a decent history and reputation, I wouldn't rate it ahead or even on the same level as OU. I think arguments could be made that USC, Bama, Notre Dame, Michigan could be equal as far as program prestige and history. Still hard to say any of those would be a step up.
Texas and Fla/FlaSt obviously would be great for recruiting but it doesn't seem to have given them an overwhelming advantage. Fla had a good run but no different than others have through the years. You get good players and have a good 3-5 year run. A little different than a 50 plus year and counting of excellence and contending for championships (with of course a blip in the 90's :eek: ). I still don't view those programs equal to OU.

Texas has such a built in advantage due to the size of enrollment (and the size of the alumni base that goes with it), population of the state it's in, that it's in a hot recruiting ground, the income of the athletic department, and the attraction of being in Austin that anyone should be able to be successful there. Some have said the HC job at Texas is the best coaching job in all of sports and, outside of just not liking Texas myself, I don't have an argument against that.

The fact that OU has had more success than Tejas despite all that is one of my favorite things tell Tejas fans. BUT the fact that OU has had more success despite all that doesn't make OU a better job for a coach.

AlboSooner
12/11/2010, 03:52 PM
Sometime people buy into the myth. If Texas is such a step up, such a monster, such a power, how come OU has more NC's, more Hesiman winners, and more conference championships. Nobody here knows how a progam really works, or what goes on behind the scenes, so we can only look at the facts: OU recruits very well, and OU is more successful than Texas on the football field.

The propaganda that Texas is such a monster, only aids Texas, and the numbers are not there. You can't explain away the numbers.

allanace16
12/11/2010, 03:54 PM
Yeah, the only reason to really regard any job better than OU would be ease of recruiting and larger alumni base. OU's just a lot smaller university and hasn't been around the amount of time like an Ohio State or a Michigan, and doesn't have the fertile recruiting bed that a Texas, Florida, or USC has. And while tradition matters some, in the eyes of what a coach needs to succeed, the top 2 are great recruits and $$$$.

Which is why I'd probably say that Texas, Florida, or USC would be a "step up", in that a lesser coach would be a lot more likely to put up good records (9-10 wins) just based on having enough tradition, plus being "the school" in a recruiting hotbed and $$$$, than a similarly skilled coach would do here. That being said, I don't think that when you're an elite coach at OU that there's any job that's a step up for you. If you've established your program to the point Bob Stoops has here, there's no reason to uproot that and start over for that minor of a potential gain.

fossil
12/11/2010, 03:56 PM
I would say Texas for sure. It's the ultimate job.

Complete bull****. Let's see now, how many national championships does Texas have? Oh yeah, four, right? OK, how many Big XII championships does Texas have? Oh yeah, right, only 2, right? OK, how many games did Texas win this year? Oh, that's right, they won a whole five games and finished dead last in the Big XII South.

Texas? A step up? My big fat ***!!!!

AlboSooner
12/11/2010, 03:58 PM
Our recruiting base is Texas, Florida and California. We have the same fertile recruiting base as Texas, USC and Florida. Didn't we just pull three blue chips out of So Cal?

OU has always recruited well, regardless of who has coached here.

Football wise the facts do not support that any program is a step up to OU. If people want to look at side factors, like weather, proximity to the Mexican border, over-population, big city stress, humidity, traffic, crime, pollution, and economic instability, then by all means go for it: Texas, Florida, and USC will provide that.

waynepayne
12/11/2010, 04:02 PM
There is no step up programs to OU in terms of tradition. Personally I detest the tropical weather, where it's always hot and humid.

so you hate the cold and you hate the hot.

gotcha.

;)

aero
12/11/2010, 04:03 PM
While I agree it would seem that the money and seemingly ease of recruiting would be assets, I don't see where it has any significant edge for Texas or any other school over OU. OU pays top dollar to the coach, has great facilities, great fanbase, and unparalleled history. As college football becomes more and more money driven, maybe those factors will become more relevant but hard to imagine OU won't still be in the mix. With the scholarship limits, recruiting still comes down to how those players are coached and how they pan out as people and players. Just look at Texas for proof.

AlboSooner
12/11/2010, 04:07 PM
so you hate the cold and you hate the hot.

gotcha.

;)

I've always thought tropical weather to be the constant heat and humidity all year long, never seeing the leaves turn yellow, waking up Christmas morning, and being 95 degrees out there.

or am I wrong?

rekamrettuB
12/11/2010, 04:30 PM
Complete bull****. Let's see now, how many national championships does Texas have? Oh yeah, four, right? OK, how many Big XII championships does Texas have? Oh yeah, right, only 2, right? OK, how many games did Texas win this year? Oh, that's right, they won a whole five games and finished dead last in the Big XII South.

Texas? A step up? My big fat ***!!!!

3 actually but none of what you posted has anything to do with my opinion. As stated above, alumni base, $$$, recruiting hotbed, etc is why. The current team and coaching staff has nothing to do w/ why, in my opinion, Texas is the ultimate job. I'm not just repeating what Barry Switzer said either. We just happen to agree on this topic. You can disagree...it's no big deal.