PDA

View Full Version : Random but interesting reflections on the B12

LRoss
12/11/2010, 01:17 PM
We all know the B12 played for 15 years. Of course the playing field isn't level -- ISU and Baylor don't have programs like OU and Nebraska -- but theoretically/mathematically, each school in the conference should have 2.5 division championships and 1.25 conference champtionships. With that in mind, here's what actually happened:

Division Championships:

N
Neb -- 6
Col -- 4
K St -- 3
Miss -- 2

S
OU -- 8
A&M -- 2

B12 Championships
OU -- 7
Neb -- 2
K St -- 1
A&M -- 1
Col -- 1

5 schools -- almost half -- have, in 15 attempts, never even won their division. If memory serves, TT, OSU, and Kansas have at least been in ties but lost the tiebreakers and never gone to the CCG. I don't believe this has ever been true for Baylor or ISU.

6 schools have never won the CCG. Who's the one to make it to the game but never close the deal? Missouri.

No North division school has a .500 or better record in the CCG.
Neb -- 2-4
Col -- 1-3
K St -- 1-2
Miss -- 0-2

No South division school has under .500
OU -- 7-1
* -- 3-2
A&M -- 1-1

After Nebraska, the next most sucessful North school is Colorado, with 4 division championships and 1 B12 championship. That sounds like a long time ago, doesn't it?

Nebraska won the CCG 2 of the first 4 years. They haven't won since.
A&M won the South 2 of the first 3 years. They haven't won since.

We all know it's impressive that OU won 8 South titles and 7 CCG's out of 15. But to me it's even more impressive that ALL of those are within the last 11 years. Has anybody else dominated a major conference like that in modern college football?

The South is 11-4 all-time in the CCG. Including the last 7 straight.

The teams ranked higher in the AP at the time of the game are 10-5. When the North represntative was higher ranked, however, they were 2-3 (4 of which were the first 4 years of the conference -- it happened only once in the final 11 years). When the South representative was higher ranked, 8-2. Teams ranked #1 are 2-1, with OU involved in all three of those games (1-1 when ranked #1, and 1-0 against #1, Miss '07).

I know we all know that OU and the South generally have been dominant, but I thought the way some of those numbers came out was interesting. And also that the conference didn't start out as being South dominated at all, but the North had the higher ranked team each of the first 4 years and was .500 after 8 years before the South began to absolutely dominate. Anyway, enjoy it for what it's worth, or not. Obviously I'm in withdrawl from actually watching football and have too much time!

silverwheels
12/11/2010, 01:24 PM
USC dominating the Pac-10 and Ohio State the Big Ten for most of the past decade are comparable to our domination of the Big 12.

allanace16
12/11/2010, 04:12 PM
USC dominating the Pac-10 and Ohio State the Big Ten for most of the past decade are comparable to our domination of the Big 12.

USC I agree with, I feel like Ohio State is a half-step behind us and the condoms on domination impressiveness. Seems like Ohio State always ends up missing playing one of the better teams in the conference, if not the co-champs for some of these titles (Sparty this year, Iowa in 02, etc...).

silverwheels
12/11/2010, 04:16 PM
USC has shared a few conference titles as well. 2002, 2006, and 2007.

AlboSooner
12/11/2010, 04:17 PM

Maybe it's my crimson glasses, but neither USC nor Ohio St have had to deal with a monster like Texas in their backyard. UCLA which is USC's rival, hasn't been good in a looong time, and Michigan has a 8 game losing streak to Ohio State.

Texas on the other hand is a top five program, with a NC, and has an excellent bowl game record. USc had it too easy, and Ohio st didn't have another ohio st-like team to compete against.

silverwheels
12/11/2010, 04:21 PM
I said comparable. That's all. I didn't say that they equaled or bettered our accomplishments.

AlboSooner
12/11/2010, 04:23 PM
I see.

silverwheels
12/11/2010, 04:35 PM
Ohio State leads the nation with 9 BCS appearances, 8 of which have come from the Buckeyes winning at least a share of the Big Ten. We have 8, 7 of which have come from us winning the Big 12, and USC has 7 (6), all of which have come from the Trojans winning at least a share of the Pac-10.

yermom
12/11/2010, 05:05 PM
neither has had to play a championship game to win their conference either though

not that it's really hurt us getting to the BCS...

SoonerFaninAZ
12/11/2010, 07:24 PM
Another interesting Big XII tidbit...

In both 2004 and 2008, the South went 15-3 against the North.

In 2004 all three losses were incurred by Baylor. The other five South schools were 15-0 against the North in 2004.

yermom
12/11/2010, 07:36 PM
there were other seasons where Baylor's only conference wins came against North teams