PDA

View Full Version : "The Difference in Losing," or, the questions facing OU men's hoops..

the_ouskull
12/11/2010, 12:58 PM
When Sampson's teams lost, I never felt like it was because of a lack of effort. It was usually a lack of athleticism, or talent, even... but never effort.

"Tiny" would have never seen the court under Kelvin. He'd have been booted or he'd have quit long before meaningful games started. Willie would have blossomed under Kelvin. I think that, overall, he was a good kid - he just needed the firm hand of an experienced coach, not the soft hand of a young one. TMG could have gone either way, but likely, wouldn't have turned out anyway. Kelvin was the hardest on his point guards, and TMG didn't seem to have the "makeup" to be able to handle that sort of thing.

When I watched Kelvin's teams lose, even in blowouts, I kept watching, 'cause they kept trying to win. When Capel's teams are getting blown out, I'm usually sickened by the effort and changing the channel. People used to bag on Kelvin's offense. What system does Capel prefer, exactly? 'cause it looks like "stand around and wait for someone to launch up an ill-advised shot near the end of the shot clock," or "dump it inside, even if the post is being doubled and they're playing the pass as well." I've run those offenses myself. They're pretty limiting to what a player can do.

If Capel HAS to have top-tier talent to compete, then he's not a good coach. Kelvin WAS a good, even great, coach, and his teams even LOST competitively, top-tier talent or no. So, CAN Capel get there, and does our fanbase have the patience to wait for it to happen? ..assuming that you feel like it EVER will.

Those are the questions facing OU basketball right now.

the_ouskull

King Crimson
12/11/2010, 01:40 PM
i don't think anyone doubts Kelvin as a skilled basketball coach. if there is a minority of half-time "OU basketball fans" that you are angling with, Skull, OK....but really, the guy got us probation...and he dumped the NCAA at Indiana, too.....you can't expect a post facto love affair.

the guy was really friendly with my moms in their neighborhood south of Highway 9....we loved that....my mom couldn't name an OU player outside Waymon....and she liked Kelvin. C'mon, really. the guy ****ed us with no contrition and we got NCAA punished.

soonerbub
12/11/2010, 03:04 PM
I think it comes down to their backgrounds (**** they grew up not far from one another). Kelvin was always a scrapper and scrapped for a D-3 team. Capel was the "blue chip" and went the Duke way. I remember when he was a senior they had a losing record (coach K was out w his back).

Kelvinball is all about defense & toughness
Capelball is finesse (I get that we have to change defenses a lot but let's get good at one!)

Kelvin ****ed up tho and I hope capel didn't or his *** should be out on a rail too.

We're still undefeated at LNC and we should keep it that way today--I still overall like Capel and his squad but he has to stop bein his players' buddy and get these guys to be ****ing nails

the_ouskull
12/11/2010, 06:27 PM
Oh, I agree with you, KC, about Kelvin's "issues." I'm SOLELY referring to their coaching ability, both real and perceived. Kelvin HAD to go. No doubt. I just didn't understand why the majority of the people that were busting n*t over Capel felt like, in order to like him, they had to hate Kelvin, and, worse, bash him as a(n x's and o's) coach.

the_ouskull

oumartin
12/12/2010, 12:16 AM
oh, I remember when Kelvin was coach people compained about the same thing. Standing around for 30 seconds and launching a desperation shot.

I'm not sure what I think about Capel anymore but Kelvin is gone. The fact that he broke the rules and bolted is something I consider pretty sh!tty. Then to turn around and do it to another program outta tell you what type of character he became. Nobody questioned Kelvins coaching ability, except solving the syracuse zone.

badger
12/12/2010, 08:21 AM
I don't think effort has been this team's problem...

birddog
12/12/2010, 09:26 AM
fire JEAN CABLE!!

sperry
12/13/2010, 01:28 AM

Exactly. They've hustled their brains out. They're the exact opposite of last years team, which was full of talent and no hustle.

This team plays hard, they just don't have the horses. Fitz is a pretty good post player, and Cade Davis would be a solid starter on every team in the conference, but he's a complimentary player not a star, but on this team he's forced to be the go to guy. Pledger and Thompson are decent players, and Clark will probably be good down the line, but he has struggled aside from this last game. Past that, everyone is just marginal at best.

...sooner
12/13/2010, 09:51 AM

-me either

Exactly. They've hustled their brains out. They're the exact opposite of last years team, which was full of talent and no hustle.

This team plays hard, they just don't have the horses. Fitz is a pretty good post player, and Cade Davis would be a solid starter on every team in the conference, but he's a complimentary player not a star, but on this team he's forced to be the go to guy. Pledger and Thompson are decent players, and Clark will probably be good down the line, but he has struggled aside from this last game. Past that, everyone is just marginal at best.

--agreed.

the only game where i feel like we have been blown out was arizona. against arkie & all the teams in hawaii i feel like they made good runs to come back. they were down 6 with 5 to go again kentucky. they just dont have all the talent that other teams have. with this hustle & heart & get a couple guys with big talent this team is going to turn around. obviously that wont happen this year but lets see what capel can bring in.