PDA

View Full Version : It doesn't make sense.

LASooner
12/11/2010, 03:49 AM
Stoops' very young team just won the Big 12 with a lot of freshmen and sophomores, he's got a nice recruiting class coming in, a rabid fanbase that pays to improve facilities, a strong recruiting base in Texas, a very supportive administration, he has a gigantic house and make boatloads of money in a place that isn't all that expensive to live. When he gets time off, he could fly anywhere he wanted to go on vacation.

Why on earth would he leave for Florida? He wouldn't.

Wouldn't Dan Mullen at Miss State make way more sense?

Lots of people are hot on Peterson at Boise, but someone made a really good point Dirk Koetter was a hot coach at Boise, went to ASU and stunk it up. Dan Hawkins took over, had success at BSU, got hired at Colorado, stunk it up there. That's not exactly a record of success coming out of Boise.

Mullen ran the offense that Meyer did, and it hasn't been the same since he left.

DarrellZero
12/11/2010, 03:58 AM
Agreed.

Of all the years for Stoops to quit, this would have to rate as one of the worst.

I think it's typical east coast arrogance. Pundits just assume nobody would choose to live in Oklahoma when they could live in Florida.

Sooner_Tuf
12/11/2010, 04:23 AM
I have been to Florida. I guess I'm an Okie through and through as I wouldn't trade my life here for one in Florida.

budbarrybob
12/11/2010, 05:43 AM
... Whats ur point?

:gary:

Stoops stays here... period

sendbaht
12/11/2010, 05:55 AM
I think his point is he is just thinking out loud.

We have the same thoughts I believe. Stoops already has a vacation house in Florida.

I think Coach knows he is not 30 and has in made now. Sure he works very hard but has some coasting he can do because of what he has built up.

Great and not so great having a coach most people want. Don't hear to many offers if any for Mack.

oumartin
12/11/2010, 06:07 AM
he's gone. Money talks.

soonercastor
12/11/2010, 06:27 AM
too much ****ing noise out there.

soonerduke
12/11/2010, 07:09 AM
I think Florida should go after Will Muschamp and stop bothering Bob Stoops.

okienole3
12/11/2010, 07:59 AM
Norman > Gainesville by a longshot.

OU-HSV
12/11/2010, 08:09 AM
Stoops' very young team just won the Big 12 with a lot of freshmen and sophomores, he's got a nice recruiting class coming in, a rabid fanbase that pays to improve facilities, a strong recruiting base in Texas, a very supportive administration, he has a gigantic house and make boatloads of money in a place that isn't all that expensive to live. When he gets time off, he could fly anywhere he wanted to go on vacation.

Lots of people are hot on Peterson at Boise, but someone made a really good point Dirk Koetter was a hot coach at Boise, went to ASU and stunk it up. Dan Hawkins took over, had success at BSU, got hired at Colorado, stunk it up there. That's not exactly a record of success coming out of Boise.

Mullen ran the offense that Meyer did, and it hasn't been the same since he left.

Houston Nutt coached at Boise back in the day, for one season anyway. He's the only "recent" Boise State coach that I can think of that has had some success after leaving for a bigger conference.
But I think Peterson is a good coach, I really think he'll have success (eventually) if he takes on a big job.

cleller
12/11/2010, 08:28 AM
The papers are making a big deal out of Stoops skipping the press conference. I hope the reason is that he's still working out his options on the OC job, and doesn't want a lot of prying into that.

Or maybe he had to meet with the people about the counter-tops. (new house)

PLaw
12/11/2010, 08:56 AM

All great points above concerning why Bob has a great job. The most important reason, however, is his relationship with his bosses, Joe C. and Boren. How many times have we heard how he values their leadership and the continuity they have enjoyed. I don't look for that trifecta breaking up - ever. It's like Tom, Gil, and Tex - 30 years of success.

That said, I look for Bob to retire within the next 3-5 years - especially if has another MNC or two on the wall. It would fall into the cycles of Bud and Barry.

Long live King Visor

BOOMER

PLaw
12/11/2010, 09:02 AM
I have been to Florida. I guess I'm an Okie through and through as I wouldn't trade my life here for one in Florida.

I lived in Florida for 10 years - 5 in Sarasota and 5 in Ft. Pierce / Port St. Lucie.

I've always said if you can't live in Texoma, then Florida is the next best place. Great, great golf, fishing, and HS football. Oh yeah, the beaches ain't bad. It's just dealing with the tourist and East Coast types that knock it down.

I think Bob has it right - a castle in Norman and a place on the golf course in FL.

BOOMER

soonerprices
12/11/2010, 09:04 AM
Bob's just playing for a raise

texaspokieokie
12/11/2010, 09:51 AM
all these "Bobs not leaving" threads are kinda funny.

if OU is the greatest coaching job, have no fear, another great coach will take over if Bob leaves.