PDA

View Full Version : So, how do y'all 'honestly' believe Nebraska will do in the Big 10

MamaMia
12/10/2010, 08:44 PM
and what are they going to call themselves? :)

THE-JROD
12/10/2010, 08:51 PM
I think it all relies on if their recruitment changes any. Some kids may wanna play in the big XII instead of the Big 10....so if that stays the same...i think they'll compete pretty well...

AlbqSooner
12/10/2010, 08:58 PM
As for what they call themselves, that conference has a problem in the way they count. One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, another, another, another - - -

THE-JROD
12/10/2010, 09:01 PM
Heh, just call it the Big whatever :D

Octavian
12/10/2010, 09:01 PM
Their 2011 Big Ten schedule looks like it has a couple L's in there

@ Wisconsin

Ohio State

@ Minnesota

Michigan St.

Northwestern

@ Penn St.

@ Michigan

Iowa

THE-JROD
12/10/2010, 09:07 PM
You post their schedule but yet you dont show which couple L's you're talking about...but i agree...definitly not gonna go undefeated

MamaMia
12/10/2010, 09:09 PM
I think it all relies on if their recruitment changes any. Some kids may wanna play in the big XII instead of the Big 10....so if that stays the same...i think they'll compete pretty well...You know...I was thinking about that yesterday; the recruitiuing aspect and kids/recruits growing up with a fondness toward the Big XII. It made me wonder if maybe the powers that be in Nebraska may not have thought this out clearly.

@ Wisconsin

Ohio State

@ Minnesota

Michigan St.

Northwestern

@ Penn St.

@ Michigan

IowaThey may upset Ohio State. Michigan...I think its about time for them to turn around so they may lose that game. I don't know though. They may run the table and win them all. Some people would be shocked if that happened.

THE-JROD
12/10/2010, 09:12 PM
Recruitment will most definitely play a factor...some kids may want to play in the Big 10...some may want to play for one of those other teams, get turned down, so may go to Nebraska just so they can play against their first choice...its all just a game...when leaving high school i was recruited to play college baseball...the team i wanted to go to...didnt want me...i went to another school in the same conference just so i could pitch against them :D

MamaMia
12/10/2010, 09:12 PM
You post their schedule but yet you dont show which couple L's you're talking about...but i agree...definitly not gonna go undefeated

I'm just guessing but I think he means Michigan and Ohio State.

royalfan5
12/10/2010, 09:14 PM
I'm just guessing but I think he means Michigan and Ohio State.I think Wisconsin and Sparty are going to be rougher than Michigan.

Octavian
12/10/2010, 09:15 PM
You post their schedule but yet you dont show which couple L's you're talking about...

and?

THE-JROD
12/10/2010, 09:17 PM
Shyt, i think wisconsin, Mich., Mich. st, Penn st, Ohio St, and possibly Iowa isnt a complete push over. I think the front runner is gonna be Ohio St tho.

MamaMia
12/10/2010, 09:18 PM
I think Wisconsin and Sparty are going to be rougher than Michigan.

It will be interesting to see what happens. They don't really have a rivalry in that conference. Having that traditional rivalry, even if its only every other year is a big plus, and makes it a whole lot more fun in my opinion.

THE-JROD
12/10/2010, 09:18 PM
and?

And? Im sayin tell me the couple of L's you are lookin at. As of right now I see more than a couple.

Soonerus
12/10/2010, 09:19 PM
They will win about 2 titles in the next 25 years...

Octavian
12/10/2010, 09:19 PM
I'm just guessing but I think he means Michigan and Ohio State.

or @ Wisconsin, @ Penn State, Michigan St. or Iowa at home

that's a rough schedule -- don't think the Big Ten folks were crazy about Nebraska winning the conference in their first year

Iowa is in their division and the Hawks were a huge beneficiary of the new divisions -- they get Purdue as their protected crossover.

It could be rough for Nebraska

THE-JROD
12/10/2010, 09:20 PM
^ I agree completely!

Octavian
12/10/2010, 09:21 PM
Here's the divisions and the protected crossovers.

Division A --- Division B

Minnesota --- Wisconsin

Michigan --- Ohio State

Northwestern --- Illinois

Iowa --- Purdue

Michigan State --- Indiana

Nebraska --- Penn State

That's gonna be tougher over time for the Corn than the Big XII North would have been...

THE-JROD
12/10/2010, 09:22 PM
Smart man Octavian :D

Octavian
12/10/2010, 09:24 PM
Im sayin tell me the couple of L's you are lookin at. As of right now I see more than a couple.

yeah for sure...me too

hope they do well actually but -- could be fun if they don't :D

Soonerus
12/10/2010, 09:24 PM
Corn will wish they never left...

Soonerfan88
12/10/2010, 09:25 PM
Assuming Martinez transfers, their offense is Helu and Burkhead which fits that Big 10 mold. However, the rest of those teams also have a QB that can pass when they have to. If Neb doesn't find a QB, next year could get ugly.

THE-JROD
12/10/2010, 09:25 PM
yeah for sure...me too

hope they do well actually but -- could be fun if they don't :D

I just want them to struggle for a few years just so their minds are fuc*ed :D and wishin they never left...then they can have a lil success lol

MamaMia
12/10/2010, 09:31 PM
or @ Wisconsin, @ Penn State, Michigan St. or Iowa at home

that's a rough schedule -- don't think the Big Ten folks were crazy about Nebraska winning the conference in their first year

Iowa is in their division and the Hawks were a huge beneficiary of the new divisions -- they get Purdue as their protected crossover.

It could be rough for NebraskaI'm thinking they will win more games than they will lose.

MamaMia
12/10/2010, 09:35 PM
I just want them to struggle for a few years just so their minds are fuc*ed :D and wishin they never left...then they can have a lil success lol

Serves 'em right for breaking up with us, huh? ;)

Octavian
12/10/2010, 09:36 PM
5-3 huh?

THE-JROD
12/10/2010, 09:39 PM
Serves 'em right for breaking up with us, huh? ;)

Heh, finally found out who the mistress was :D

I Am Right
12/10/2010, 09:40 PM
Win 5

MamaMia
12/10/2010, 09:51 PM
Heh, finally found out who the mistress was :D

:D

Penguin
12/10/2010, 09:53 PM
I don't know about you, but I am very excited about the Nebrasky-Northwestern rivalry that is sure to develop. It will be the battle of the Nowledge helmets.

OUEngr1990
12/10/2010, 10:11 PM
I think they will do well. They will have some trouble with tOSU and maybe Wisconsin from time to time, but I think they will be fine.

SoonerLB
12/10/2010, 10:14 PM
Major dilemma from my point of view:
I hope they kick azz and take names and show how the bIG 10 sucks;
I hope they lose their azzes as a payback for what they did to the Big 12!

BoulderSooner79
12/10/2010, 11:14 PM
Had they played in the big10 this year, they would have matched up well with the 3 co-champs. Going forward, who knows - tOSU owns recruiting right now and NU has to establish new areas.

BigRed47
12/11/2010, 01:27 AM
Those first two conference games are going to determine just how well the huskers fare in the Big 10. If they beat Wisconsin and then Ohio State, then they might run the table. Looks like they have a fair chance of winning their division the first year. That would be something if they finish their final year in the Big12 in that CG and then follow it up the following year in the Big10 CG. By the way, is the CG being played in Indianapolis?

yermom
12/11/2010, 02:15 AM
that conference looks a whole lot scarier now than it did when they joined

Okie35
12/11/2010, 05:16 AM
They probably win a conference championship within 3 years. I mean the spread offense is the hardest offense to really stop in the Big 12 they go against it almost every week. In the Big 10 few teams run it Michigan, Indiana, Northwestern are the only ones I know. The rest run just power football w/ a heavy run. Nebbish will be fine.

MR2-Sooner86
12/11/2010, 08:25 AM
http://www.qualitypeoples.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/crashingplane.jpg

lexred
12/11/2010, 09:09 AM
Although they are up in the "frozen North" so to speak, they really have no affiliation with the Big???? schools. The situation that set them up for their MNC runs, OU down, unlimited "walkons", etc, no longer exists. They won by having those big ol mean linemen from Nebraska and Iowa and were able to recruit the O playmakers nation wide. Times have changed and the great prospects in the Big ??? area are not going to suddenly flock to Nebraska.

Although the consistantly obnoxious and arrogant UT folks can grate on your nerves they would have been better off staying in the Big 12. They could have been a consistant power in the North and occasionally won the Big 12 Championship and the ticket to a BCS bowl. Also kept a recruiting foothold in Texas.

BajaOklahoma
12/11/2010, 09:11 AM
One of the considerations for Burkhead going to the bugeaters was the fact that he would have several games a year within driving distance for his parents (Plano). His parent's haven't been able to see many of his brother's games (Harvard).
Had the bugeaters switched conferences several years ago, Burkhead would have looked harder at other offers.

texaspokieokie
12/11/2010, 10:04 AM

i hope they win every game, & i think they'll call themselves "Nebraska Cornhuskers".

soonervegas
12/11/2010, 10:14 AM
I think they will settle in there about the 4th or 5th position to start.

Behind:

Ohio State
Wisconsin

Even with:

Iowa
Penn State
Michigan State
Michigan

Could move into the top 3 consistently if they get recruiting on point. Pretty much what they could have done in the Big 12.

Sooner91ATL
12/11/2010, 10:21 AM
They will suffer in Texas recruiting eventually, but for a while the ties that remain in TX and Big 12 will continue and there may be some advantage to recruit to a "close" school to TX but still play marquee programs from the Big 10 with lots of TV exposure.

Their ability to recruit in Big 10 land will increase substantially. The geography is good for them. They will take some recruits away from Iowa, Minnesota, and Illinois for sure. Chicago is a hotbed with lots of leftovers from Notre Dame.

My guess is that Nebraska will suffer in the Big 10 initially, leading pundits to point out, rightly or wrongly, how weak the Big 12 (at least N division) is compared to Big 10 .We can judge the results on the field. But over the next 5 years I think they will gain their identity as a cold-lovin, Texas-free, Big 10 recruiting school, and will eventually challenge for their division title fairly regularly. Over the long run, since they can't go back to the past and dominate midland recruiting like they did in the Big 8, they will mostly beat the lesser Big 10 teams and be something like .500 against the top tier. So lots of 9-3 type records. They are swapping one devil for another - Texas for OSU. They will quickly realize that in order to get what they want, they will need to just win and STFU with the excuses.

LiveLaughLove
12/11/2010, 10:24 AM
They will do well in that division. Isn't Pryor a senior finally? No guarantee Ohio State finds a great replacement, just look at Texas and Florida for that potential.

The nebraska kids have no love for the big XII. They will have to switch their re rioting base to the rust belt and away from Texas though. If they start strong in the big X that will help in that arena.

I want them to kick all kinds of butt on the big X. So they left our conference, so freaking what?! Our conference is Dan Bebee and DeLos Dodds. I wish to heck we had left too. Nebraska made the best move of anybody outside of Texas.

mhackl
12/11/2010, 10:27 AM

@ Wisconsin Loss

Ohio State Loss

@ Minnesota Win

Michigan St. Loss

Northwestern Win

@ Penn St. Win

@ Michigan Win

Iowa Loss

If played this season

huskerland
12/11/2010, 10:46 AM
I think the huskers will play hard and that's all we can ask until the Huskers get their "O" fixed. And, there is this! we'll be OK!
http://frankthetank.wordpress.com/

silverwheels
12/11/2010, 10:56 AM
They'll battle for first in their division next year. Michigan will still suck on defense so it will be between Nebraska, Iowa, and maybe Michigan State, although I think this season was a product of luck and a crappy schedule for them.

soonerprices
12/11/2010, 11:55 AM
Wouldn't Nebraska going to the Big 10 and winning it make OU look much better. The talking heads will put the 2 together. Also if Nebraska goes and finishes 5th the same media types will start asking themselves and America where the Big 12 champion, OU, would finish.

We should want NU to have success in the Big 10. It only make OU look better.

It will never happen but how awesome would it be for Colorado to win the 2011 Pac 12 championship.

Football Jim
12/11/2010, 12:07 PM
The nebbish are destined to be Penn State west. They will be constantly in the pre season mix and will always seem to be a day late and a dollar short.

Hmmmmm, kind of like the way they were in the Big XII. :pop:

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/11/2010, 01:25 PM
One of the considerations for Burkhead going to the bugeaters was the fact that he would have several games a year within driving distance for his parents (Plano). His parent's haven't been able to see many of his brother's games (Harvard).
Had the bugeaters switched conferences several years ago, Burkhead would have looked harder at other offers.Is he the new Booger Daniels?

Sooner_Tuf
12/11/2010, 04:47 PM
In the Big 12 Nebraska had some history in the Big 1o they have none. In the end we all treat our old corn cobs about the same.
Their cries of no respect will be met about the same there as they were here.

Izzycohen
12/11/2010, 05:53 PM
Would they not be the Cornhuskers any more?

texaspokieokie
12/11/2010, 05:56 PM
Would they not be the Cornhuskers any more?

that's on page 2.

SoonerMarkVA
12/11/2010, 09:41 PM
I expect Nebraska to occupy about the same stratum as Wisconsin and Iowa. Certainly they will be less successful than they would have been in the XII North.

I fully expect the Big 10 to remain the Big 10. If they didn't care about 11, what's the concern with 12? Or 16?

JRAM
12/12/2010, 12:03 AM
They may win it all.

SoonerPride
12/12/2010, 12:56 PM
I think Nebraska will regret this decision. Had they joined another conference with 3 or 4 schools with them it would be more of a marriage. They are outsiders. I think they will be shocked at how rudely they are treated.

They'll say 'we're Nebraska and we've done this and won these titles and you should respect us.' the other schools will say 'who gives a crap?'*

They'll not win many titles and their recruiting will suffer. They will hope to be as good as Iowa of Wisconsin.

Their fans will be very unhappy.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/12/2010, 03:27 PM
The Big 10 really stuck it to them on the sched. They basically gave them the upper half of the current Big10, Minnesota being the exception. I'm sure they would've appreciated an Indiana, Purdue, or Illinois sprinkled in there instead of one or two of the other heavy hitters.

But we know that the Big10 wants next season to be a tremendous marketing success for their network, and with that consideration this was the right way to do it.

Earlier mentioned in a post... Helu may have fit the Big10 mold, but he's a senior. So are Niles Paul, Will Henry, Amukamara, Gomes, Hagg, Pierre Allen, and Alex Henry. So they have some pretty significant losses going into next year.

They won't have an easy time of it, that is for sure.

SoonerinSouthlake
12/12/2010, 03:32 PM
They will be one of the teams in the mix every year, and win the conference every 4 or 5 years.

King Crimson
12/12/2010, 03:37 PM
hard to know. I have a buddy from grad school who went to Penn State....and 10 years in he doesn't feel like they were ever "included" in the Big Ten real love affair. NU will be the same, and stink it up in hoops just like PSU does.

mostly, good luck to the Huskers since they finally realized Callahan was an ******* who didn't invent the forward pass....but, try telling em that 5 years ago.....eeeesh.