PDA

View Full Version : Organized Christianity Becomes Even More Loathsome...

Pages : 1 [2]

Leroy Lizard
12/14/2010, 08:28 PM
Somehow "Believing something a priori can cause it to make sense, but only if that something is the Bible. Trust me, I've tried it." metamorphosized into "Assuming something for the sake of argument to try and falsify it is a valuable reasoning strategy." We all saw it happen, and it was as beautiful as a butterfly fluttering its wings for the first time since emerging from its cocoon...

Only to be eaten by a nearby frog. These things can seem cold and cruel, but such is the way of nature.

I blame this post on ...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/64/Pyschoactive_Drugs.jpg

crawfish
12/15/2010, 02:12 PM
I don't disagree with the second part. I disagree with the assertion that it was what you originally meant when you said:

"If you don't have faith you can pick it apart, but if you do have faith that it works out then you will find that it presents a consistent and non-conflicting message. Perhaps this sounds dubious, but I've tried applying the principle to other works and nothing else I've found is capable of being worked out rationally just by believing it should be."

Having faith is clearly different than supposing something to be the truth for the sake of evaluating its internal consistency.

You must be brilliant for being able to know what I meant better than I did. Any chance you could just be misunderstanding me?

Faith + reason is still faith.