PDA

View Full Version : Epic Lulz OP.com

Dwight
12/10/2010, 04:56 PM
http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=111625

FTA:
22 Year Cycle?
OK! I'll concede the point that one need be an old geezer to even think in terms of 22 years cycles up front but with that concession and caveat...

an old-timer such as myself can't help but draw parallels between this current team and the one that we ancient Cowboy's witnessed 22 years ago.

This current team boast the Biletnikoff Trophy confirmed best Receiver in the Country, the best Running Back in the Big 12, and the best QB in the Conference.

22 years ago in 1988, that Cowboy team boasted the Heisman confirmed best Running Back in the Country, the best Receiver in the Big 8, and the Big 8's all-time leading passer at QB.

In 1988, that team went 9-2 in a 11 game regular season and this current team went 10-2 in a 12 game regular season. In both instances (coincidently perhaps) the two losses were to Nebraska and u0.

22 years ago, we lost the Nebraska game due to a Defense that couldn't hold the Huskers to under 40 and repeated that dubious distinction again this season.

In 1988, we lost to the Goons late in the 4th on a brain-fart muff and albeit a defensive muff rather than a offensive one, repeated the disappointment again this season.

But with all other comparisons set aside, it's the recognition of what great individual talent we have as confirmed by post-season honors and awards that really prompted the comparison.

It's the return of that same, oh so close, wrenching pain in the gut that made the conclusion of this season feel so much like the one 22 years ago.

The one thing that really stuck in my craw since that 1988 team is the realization that we managed to blow that golden opportunity with so much great individual talent and the well deserved individual honors now only makes this season feel that much more the same.

Don't get me wrong, I celebrate the honors but the most basic application of logic begs the question of blowing it to those same two with so much individual talent on hand.

That being said, is there a 22 year (or so) cycle?

2010 and 1988 are separated by 22 years. 22 years prior to 1988 is 1966 and there was nothing at all remarkable about Cowboy Football in the decade of the 60's... unless you consider the first Bedlam win in 2 decades and the last one for another decade to come to be remarkable... and back to back Bedlam wins at that. That occurred in 1966...

Going back another 22 (or so) years takes us back to the 1944 and '45 seasons.

Of all the curses, jinx', psychological stumbling blocks, trends, or whatever one wishes to call them that Cowboy Football broke, surpassed, and/or overcame this season, none would be greater than to annihilate any 22 year cycle of peaks that might or might not exist. If you're a Cowboy die-hard like myself, trust me, you don't want to look at the scale and depths of the drop off's that have historically and consistently followed our peaks.

Let us pray!

CowboyMRW
12/10/2010, 04:57 PM
Damn my pager just went off again and according to the Big 12 coaches our qb was #1

SoonerMarkVA
12/10/2010, 04:59 PM
I may as well have scooped a few tablespoons of my brain out and flushed them down the toilet as read that mental diarrhea.

DarrellZero
12/10/2010, 05:00 PM
A bunch of naval-gazing here. Not sure what the point is supposed to be.

Yes you had a good team this year. OU had a better one. You lost.

If you don't want to experience the pain of losing, simple. Cancel your football program.

Dwight
12/10/2010, 05:02 PM
Damn my pager just went off again and according to the Big 12 coaches our qb was #1

How funny. I was browsing the internet when I came across this tidbit of information. http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148949

Widescreen
12/10/2010, 05:05 PM
Some people have indicated Weeden is the top QB. I disagree, but it's not outlandish to say that he is.

soonercastor
12/10/2010, 05:07 PM
Series, how do they work?

Rocko
12/10/2010, 05:17 PM

Good for you, but according to Landry Jones' new trophy, our QB is the best in the nation. Best in Conference, or best in Nation... take your pick.

usaosooner
12/10/2010, 05:17 PM
pooooooooooooooooooooooor Aggy

OULenexaman
12/10/2010, 05:25 PM
So I guess we will see ya with your ray of hope in another 22 years....

CowboyMRW
12/10/2010, 05:27 PM
I'm telling you that no one likes Pepe. He throws out the stupidest threads ever

allanace16
12/10/2010, 05:32 PM
Oddly enough, the bolded statement is one of the least laughable things that particular Ag said. I mean I'd probably take 1/3 of the conference's QBs in front of him, but he did win the award.

I find it far funnier that we can expect the next "great" Poke team when I'm solidly in my midlife crisis................and they'll still lose to OU

rekamrettuB
12/10/2010, 05:32 PM
This current team boast the Biletnikoff Trophy confirmed best Receiver in the Country, the best Running Back in the Big 12, and the best QB in the Conference.

22 years ago in 1988, that Cowboy team boasted the Heisman confirmed best Running Back in the Country, the best Receiver in the Big 8, and the Big 8's all-time leading passer at QB.

This is funny...confirmed. When OU players win the Heisman they aren't "confirmed" they just won because they had OU on their helmet and couldn't hold some other player's jock.

OUthunder
12/10/2010, 05:57 PM
Some people have indicated Weeden is the top QB. I disagree, but it's not outlandish to say that he is.

I'd say he's 2nd best. Plus, he's a grown man and shouldn't even be in college playing football.

SoonerDood
12/10/2010, 06:06 PM
22 years ago, we lost the Nebraska game due to a Defense that couldn't hold the Huskers to under 50 and repeated that dubious distinction again this season.
Good ol' Poke Defense!

budbarrybob
12/10/2010, 06:12 PM
Doesn't that mean NCAA violations and probation is on the way?
:pop:

silverwheels
12/10/2010, 06:14 PM
Doesn't that mean NCAA violations and probation is on the way?
:pop:

Nope. OU is the only NCAA school to have ever been put on probation according to OSU fans.

AlboSooner
12/10/2010, 06:20 PM
So the motto has really been: wait till 22 years later?

BigJerm7
12/10/2010, 06:21 PM
blah blah blah
we managed to blow that golden opportunity with so much great individual talent and the well deserved individual honors The end.

My favorite part.

Dwight
12/10/2010, 06:27 PM
My question is how, with the best HB, WR, and QB in the conference, did you not win the conference?

Widescreen
12/10/2010, 06:31 PM
My question is how, with the best HB, WR, and QB in the conference, did you not win the conference?

Defense.

cccasooner2
12/10/2010, 06:39 PM
Yep, you're aligned with the sunspot cycles where the polarity reverses.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
12/10/2010, 06:47 PM
Two points in history don't make a cycle. That is just arbitrary. You at least need three, like OU winning national championships in 1950, 1975, & 2000. Put you money down on 2025 now.:rolleyes:

picasso
12/10/2010, 06:55 PM
Yeah yeah and our '03 team won more individual hardware than ever before and we came out with jack squat.

Keep whizzing up a pole Pokes.

I don't know what that means but it sounded good.

badger
12/10/2010, 07:01 PM
All right, color me crimson, but having a good running back (even if he couldn't run very well against us faireweather fan cheatin' gooners) opens up the passing game.

Having a good receiver (yes, I admit it, Blackmon isn't total suckworthy) makes a quarterback look good.

So... do you really have the best QB in the Big 12, or just a supporting cast that makes him look better than he is?

Oh noes! Brandon Weeden held onto the ball too long again and the Sooner sack him for the billionth time... time for the Pokes to punt... aaaaagain :D

When Cowboy answers his SF.com pager, I would kindly ask that he does not argue for Weeden on Weeden's merits alone and not compare him to other Big 12 quarterbacks.

Leroy Lizard
12/10/2010, 07:35 PM
Forget the argument between Jones and Weeden. Mike Gundy > Jamelle Holieway? Not so sure about that.

fadada1
12/10/2010, 08:06 PM
who is their QB again??? and i keep hearing about their RB... what's his name?

BoulderSooner79
12/10/2010, 11:02 PM
In 1988, we lost to the Goons late in the 4th on a brain-fart muff and albeit a defensive muff rather than a offensive one, repeated the disappointment again this season.

Reading this makes me wish only one thing:

God, please let me live to 2032 so I can see this one more time.

mdklatt
12/11/2010, 12:46 AM
In both instances (coincidently perhaps) the two losses were to Nebraska and u0

Of all the ****tarded aggy **** they do, this is the most ****tarded. For extra lulz that's a zero not an O, which of course makes them Zero State. :rolleyes:

proudsoonergal
12/11/2010, 12:56 AM
I'd say he's 2nd best. Plus, he's a grown man and shouldn't even be in college playing football.

HE AIN'T A MAN!!! THAT'S INAKRATE! THAT AIN'T THE TRUTH! [hairGel]

yermom
12/11/2010, 01:32 AM
it's gotta be rough that when they field their best teams in years they get their dreams crushed every time

they win 10 games and we have to go there and we still beat them, en route to a 7th Big 12 title

even last year, they are ahead of us in the conference, and we have our worst season in years and they can't even manage to score on us

in 1988 they have a running back with the most epic season ever, play us in Stillwater and STILL LOSE

ouch.