PDA

View Full Version : Blake Bell

Rickety_Syd
12/10/2010, 08:34 AM
On the Morning Animals, Fitzpatrick asked carey Murdock about this rumor about Blake Bell and Murdock said he was tired of hearing it.

Then I missed the rest of what they were talking about.

What's the rumor? I'm guessing that it's he's going to transfer.

OUChampsBig12
12/10/2010, 08:38 AM
It was about "transfering". Carey went on the say and a I am paraphrasing... That the rumor may have started on sports radio in Witchita. Talked about the Brown Brothers transfering. Refereneced Bishop Carroll, the coach and Blakes family. Carey said that he has talked with the High School Coach and Blake's family and has not found any truth to the rumors. But kinda left it at "who knows". So take that for what if anything it is worth?? I may have missed something?

Crimsontothecore
12/10/2010, 08:56 AM
If the kid's as talented as everyone thinks, it would be hard to imagine him standing on the sidelines waiting for mop-up duty for the next two years. He may have entered the season thinking he may be able to unseat Landry in '11 but after Landry's performance this year that's not realistic. Yes, Landry could get hurt but most kids these days don't want to stick around waiting for the "just in case" scenario to happen but who knows, maybe he will.

Soonermagik
12/10/2010, 09:13 AM
I think he will stay. Remember this, if he leaves he will have to sit out for a year. If Jones continues to progress then he will likely be the starter for the next 2 years.

Bell needs to wait his turn and he will likely be a 2 year starter. Football is a violent game and Jones could easily get hurt, which would put him in the game. I get wanting to play now, but I doubt he's ready. Sitting on the bench for a few years will help him learn the system even more.

SoonerMarkVA
12/10/2010, 09:18 AM
So far, the track record of backups leaving has been bad, and those sticking around has been pretty good. Even Thompson, who had the most tortured path, ran the show for a year and a XII championship.

I understand the desire to play, and play right now. It must be really hard. But the future, especially in football, is uncertain. Wonder what Bradford was thinking when he signed one year removed from the greatest 5-star QB to come to OU under Stoops? I'll be he wasn't thinking, "I'll be starting as a RS frosh."

waynepayne
12/10/2010, 09:21 AM
I hope Blake has the good sense to stay and I also hope Bob gets him in the games more than just mop up time next year. I am excited to see what he can do!

swardboy
12/10/2010, 09:31 AM
Tell you what, I liked that ball that Drew threw off the fake field goal, and Hanna dropped. It was money. Wouldn't surprise me that Blake saw that play too.

OU's offense guarantees we'll get the cream of the crop QB's that fit it.

Section 9
12/10/2010, 09:45 AM
Did Drew throw that pass? All this time I thought it was Nimmo?????

sooner518
12/10/2010, 09:47 AM
pretty sure that was Nimmo, our regular holder. if it wasnt, A&M's D-coordinator ought to be fired for not noticing that our backup QB was all of a sudden holding on FGs.....

SoonerPr8r
12/10/2010, 09:49 AM
It was Nimmo

oudavid1
12/10/2010, 10:14 AM
Nimmo threw the pass, respect holders!
Blake is not transferring, he loves Norman. (and a few SigEps)
And no one, is going to take LJs spot. Ever. Ever. Ever.

jumperstop
12/10/2010, 10:18 AM
And no one, is going to take LJs spot. Ever. Ever. Ever. (or until he graduates, which ever comes first)

fify

oudavid1
12/10/2010, 10:23 AM
fify

well i meant while he is at OU.

picasso
12/10/2010, 10:52 AM
If the kid's as talented as everyone thinks, it would be hard to imagine him standing on the sidelines waiting for mop-up duty for the next two years. He may have entered the season thinking he may be able to unseat Landry in '11 but after Landry's performance this year that's not realistic. Yes, Landry could get hurt but most kids these days don't want to stick around waiting for the "just in case" scenario to happen but who knows, maybe he will.

Sincerely,

Tommy Grady

badger
12/10/2010, 10:55 AM
So far, the track record of backups leaving has been bad, and those sticking around has been pretty good. Even Thompson, who had the most tortured path, ran the show for a year and a XII championship.

I understand the desire to play, and play right now. It must be really hard. But the future, especially in football, is uncertain. Wonder what Bradford was thinking when he signed one year removed from the greatest 5-star QB to come to OU under Stoops? I'll be he wasn't thinking, "I'll be starting as a RS frosh."

In case you're curious what he was thinking, it was academic. He wanted to attend law school. Here's an article that was written after he committed. Check out his daddy's OU jersey in the background!

Linky (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/article.aspx?subjectid=23&articleid=050630_Sp_B1_Reali4762)

"About a week after they offered me, me and my parents went down and had a meeting with coach Long and coach Stoops," Bradford said. "They showed us all the facilities, and we just talked. Everything they told me I liked. They answered every question I had before I even had to ask it."

Including the one about Bradford being the only quarterback from his class OU intended to pursue, provided he stuck with his commitment. And the one about academic support, seeing as how he maintained a grade-point-average above 4.0, was retaking the ACT this fall to shoot for a 30, and had designs on attending law school one day.

texaspokieokie
12/10/2010, 10:58 AM
now if he wants, he can buy his own law school.

OhU1
12/10/2010, 11:05 AM
I hope he would not transfer, but if so "good luck and so what" is my response. Having QBs transfer means we have a young established quarterback who is so good that the notion that anyone will be able to unseat him is absurd. That is a very good problem to have. The downside of course is losing depth as we never know when a backup will be needed. I'm not going to worry about who replaces Landry three seasons from now.

oudavid1
12/10/2010, 11:08 AM
I cant believe Sam Bradford made it out of the high school program he attended. Though he was only a 3 star thanks to his coaches.

dwarthog
12/10/2010, 11:24 AM
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k19/dwarthog/jeez.jpg

yankee
12/10/2010, 11:43 AM
And no one, is going to take LJs spot. Ever. Ever. Ever.

sig eps are ghey.

swardboy
12/10/2010, 11:46 AM
dammit I meant Nimmo....

blaine4oh5
12/10/2010, 11:50 AM
Are you guys sayin that Bell is just going to jump Drew Allen now? I don't see that happening.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/10/2010, 11:51 AM
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k19/dwarthog/jeez.jpgyeah, huh. I am/was looking forward to Bell maybe getting considerable playing time next yr, and Landry going pro? after the '11 season.

batonrougesooner
12/10/2010, 11:55 AM
The list of failed transfer quarterbacks is long.

Hope he doesn't add his name to the list.

As others have mentioned, remember Paul Thompson and Sam Bradford.

Scott D
12/10/2010, 11:58 AM
Well the problem nowadays is that with the 'success' of Cameron Newton, you might have a few kids in other programs (ours included) who might see the going to juco one year after leaving a major program and getting re-recruited with a strong chance to be a starter somewhere and be successful as a viable option. Much like the kids who have been enticed to do one and done in college basketball despite the fact that process retards their development as a complete basketball player.

OUChampsBig12
12/10/2010, 12:01 PM
Just FYI Guys, I did not get the impression by listening to Carey that there is need to worry about Blake transfering. At least not now!

dwarthog
12/10/2010, 12:07 PM
yeah, huh. I am/was looking forward to Bell maybe getting considerable playing time next yr, and Landry going pro? after the '11 season.

Same here.

At minimum, you would hope he takes his best shot at winning the position next spring.

Who knows, maybe he pulls it off and takes the position from Landry.

Then folks can open up threads about where Landry is transferring. :)

Sooner_Tuf
12/10/2010, 01:36 PM

I asked Sam's dad that exact question when Sam went to OU. His dad said Sam said he was going to beat him out for the starting position.

If Bell can beat Landry out Stoops will play him. It's going to be difficult but if he is as great as he is supposed to be he should see it as a challenge.

badger
12/10/2010, 01:57 PM
Stoops isn't above replacing quarterbacks. Brett replaced ENA... temporarily... White replaced Hybl... temporarily...

SoonerE
12/10/2010, 02:04 PM
Via FB -

Tony Jefferson:
Blake Bell is not TRANSFERIING GEEEEEZE stop the BS. he loves me too much and OU ♥
about an hour ago ˇLikeUnlike ˇ Comment

OUmillenium
12/10/2010, 02:10 PM

oudavid1
12/10/2010, 03:15 PM
sig eps are ghey.

im going to be a GDI

so i dont care

boomersooner28
12/10/2010, 03:38 PM
Blake Bell isnt going anywhere. Tony Jefferson says so. The end.

usaosooner
12/10/2010, 03:41 PM
im going to be a GDI

so i dont care

GDI are WEAKSAUCE

opksooner
12/10/2010, 03:46 PM
Via FB -

Tony Jefferson:
Blake Bell is not TRANSFERIING GEEEEEZE stop the BS. he loves me too much and OU ♥
about an hour ago ˇLikeUnlike ˇ Comment
FWIW ---Blake Bell "liked" Jefferson's comment.

So, there!

gaylordfan1
12/10/2010, 04:40 PM
Yup, just talked to my little cousin that went to high school with him and still is pretty close with him..... she said no worries. He told her he is a "Sooner for life".

Rocko
12/10/2010, 04:48 PM
Get that fratastic crap out of here.

oudavid1
12/10/2010, 05:01 PM
GDI are WEAKSAUCE

my friends say the same thing.

i dont want to live in though. ill have my own place.

allanace16
12/10/2010, 05:58 PM
Seems like the backup at OU pretty well always have had their shot at being "the man" for some significant amount of time. So if you make #2, you might as well stay. If he thinks he's behind Drew Allen as well, it may be the time to call up the juco's.

It was Nimmo

I was meaning to tell you I still crack up about that time you had all the "I found Nimmo" jokes a long time ago when he actually got to run the offense (at least as much as any backup ever really does in the Stoops regime...)

MiccoMacey
12/10/2010, 06:02 PM
Are you guys sayin that Bell is just going to jump Drew Allen now? I don't see that happening.

Here's what I can puzzle together over the depth chart. Bear with me...it's a "Pelican Brief" meets "Conspiracy Theory" moment, but I believe it to be pretty accurate.

In the summer of 2009, Drew Allen was listed above Landry Jones on the depth chart, roughly until about a week before the BYU game. Most people surmised that the reason LJ jumped Drew Allen is that we had Sam Bradford, and LJ would come in on mop-up duty. No need to waste Drew Allen's redshirt year for back-up mop-up duty. That's like being the assistant to the assistant fry guy...no real need to waste a whole year for this.

Sam goes down in game one, and Landry, being the official back-up, is now the starter. Especially since it's believed Sam is going to come back, this makes sense. It still protects that redshirt year.

LJ now has 10 games of starting experience, plus a few more games where Sam started but was injured (see BYU and Texas). That gives Landry a huge edge over Drew Allen, and Drew stays #2 going into spring ball.

In comes Blake Bell. Blake shines in the summer, if I recall correctly. But the coaches already have a starter (Landry) and Drew Allen is the back-up this year. That lets Blake Bell redshirt in 2010. Drew Allen is listed higher on the depth chart right now, not because he's head and shoulders above Blake Bell, (although at that point he probably had more of the offense down than Blake did) but because it helps no one to put Blake in for mop-up duty and waste a redshirt year.

I honestly believe we'll see the following next year: Landry will be the starter, and Blake Bell will be the back-up QB by the start of conference play at a minimum.

allanace16
12/10/2010, 06:04 PM
my friends say the same thing.

i dont want to live in though. ill have my own place.

Also, for what it's worth, I think the best attitude is just an open mind on the whole thing. Greek life at OU is getting big enough to where everyone doesn't necessarily have to live in. There will most likely be a house that'll fit what you want out of it. As someone that was pretty committed to being GDI all through college, there's plenty of advantages to going about it both ways. I'd just do rush just to try it, and if it's still not your thing, then do your thing. Doesn't hurt anything.

gaylordfan1
12/10/2010, 06:07 PM
Pretty sure Bell came in during the summer. But, I agree with everything you said.

Tigeman
12/10/2010, 06:14 PM
To bad OU had to go dry (Phucking Sigma Chi's couldn't handle their GD liquor), that put a big damper on the Greek experience for a while. Yes yes, I know, I'm being insensitive here!

MiccoMacey
12/10/2010, 06:23 PM
Pretty sure Bell came in during the summer. But, I agree with everything you said.

I stand corrected...thank you for the catch.

Possibly I'm remember summer and August reports, and not spring ball.

But I still contend that they've put Drew Allen ahead of Blake Bell more to keep Bell's redshirt year intact than because Drew Allen is that far ahead of Blake.

SoonerPride93
12/10/2010, 06:40 PM
Yea I saw the Jefferson status. I have some signed Blake Bell stuff since my grandma works with his aunt and I live in Wichita and he came to our school for basketball last year.

Also John Nimmo reppin Ponca City Oklahoma. Played on his little brothers baseball teams and we were coached by his dad. Dont know much about John but everyone hates his prick of a brother and his dickhole dad.

VA Sooner
12/10/2010, 10:51 PM
I think he will stay... he's got another year to figure out the offense, Nimmo graduates and he gets some valuable playing time.

OU_Sooners75
12/10/2010, 11:20 PM
Tell you what, I liked that ball that Drew threw off the fake field goal, and Hanna dropped. It was money. Wouldn't surprise me that Blake saw that play too.

OU's offense guarantees we'll get the cream of the crop QB's that fit it.

That was john nimmo.

oudavid1
12/10/2010, 11:44 PM
Also, for what it's worth, I think the best attitude is just an open mind on the whole thing. Greek life at OU is getting big enough to where everyone doesn't necessarily have to live in. There will most likely be a house that'll fit what you want out of it. As someone that was pretty committed to being GDI all through college, there's plenty of advantages to going about it both ways. I'd just do rush just to try it, and if it's still not your thing, then do your thing. Doesn't hurt anything.

oh ill defantly keep my options open. I just need to find out if im going down there next year fall 2011, or 2012. I will only go if there is a job there for me.

Sooner_Tuf
12/11/2010, 11:35 AM

It's been many decades since I lived on campus but back then it was the general consensus that most Greeks went both ways. ;)

kelloggOUballa
12/11/2010, 11:40 AM
Coach doesn't like to use the QB run game with a starter, so why not use Blake as a "Jesus"-like Wildcat change of pace QB until Landry goes pro?

yankee
12/11/2010, 12:58 PM
Coach doesn't like to use the QB run game with a starter, so why not use Blake as a "Jesus"-like Wildcat change of pace QB until Landry goes pro?

heck, why not use drew allen? he proved he's got very good mobility earlier in the season, and he's a big kid too.