PDA

View Full Version : Lee Corso just made me tear up a little (live awards ceremony on ESPN)

sendbaht
12/10/2010, 03:34 AM
Choked me up I have to say...

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5904661

you just have to like Coach Corso.

hawaii 5-0
12/10/2010, 03:51 AM
I like Bullwinkle and Mr. Ed too.

5-0

yermom
12/10/2010, 04:21 AM
here's the full version:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5904510

sure has a feeling like he's hanging it up here

swardboy
12/10/2010, 04:26 AM
I love football.
I remember thinking about half way through my first August practice, "I don't have to be here." It was a life-changing decision to come back for the second practice.
I still can't imagine the obsession Lee Corso has for the game.

oumartin
12/10/2010, 06:16 AM
It certainly felt like a goodbye tonight. Hopefully he will continue to get better and he won't step aside but I can certainly understand if he does.

it was a good piece on him and I have a new respect for the man after tonight.

Jacie
12/10/2010, 07:37 AM
The Sunshine Scooter . . .

BoomerSooner, esq.
12/10/2010, 08:15 AM
As hard as it is getting to listen to him on Gameday, I almost turned the channel. Glad that I didnt.

cleller
12/10/2010, 08:46 AM
Oh lord, second thoughts.

Lawton4Life
12/10/2010, 09:00 AM
That was a great piece.

I never understood people getting so upset with Corso's picks, he was just playing a character.

I hope he continues to get better.

SoonerLVZ
12/10/2010, 09:51 AM
I hope he's back next year. But that clip makes it seems like his not going to be. Gameday will be alot less fun to watch if he's gone.

bonkuba
12/10/2010, 10:36 AM
Good Vid

ouleaf
12/10/2010, 10:46 AM
He definitely deserves the honor, no question about it. If he is back next year great. If he can't do it any more b/c of health reasons, then I hope ESPN finds a way to keep him involved as long as he would like to be. Whether that is pre-recorded segments where he can make his picks, offer a few comments on each game etc..

TUSooner
12/10/2010, 10:54 AM
That was very good. It was touching to see the affection shown by his Game Day colleagues and Tom Jackson.

I never understood how anybody could dislike Corso, regardless of his opinions. I always saw him as an enthusiastic fan who wanted to share the fun and excitment.

AggieGirl2005
12/10/2010, 10:55 AM
Good clip.

Dang it. Someone must be cutting onions in my office.

AlboSooner
12/10/2010, 11:25 AM
I've never seen Kirk H cry like that. Stoops is a very good friend with Corso. The trio has been good to OU.

OUthunder
12/10/2010, 11:30 AM
I watched him once this year on College Game Day. He has quickly become the Bob Barry, Sr. of ESPN.

I almost felt sorry for him.

Always like his goofy style. Just goes to show that getting old really sucks!

yankee
12/10/2010, 11:33 AM
That was very good. It was touching to see the affection shown by his Game Day colleagues and Tom Jackson.

I've never seen Kirk H cry like that. Stoops is a very good friend with Corso. The trio has been good to OU.

yup, totally took me by surprise. we only see these guys a couple of hours each saturday morn, and maybe a few brief appearances during the week. but they're probably all very good friends. i almost lost it too, especially after i saw Kirk...

3rdgensooner
12/10/2010, 12:09 PM
Thanks for posting that.

SoonerDomiNation
12/10/2010, 12:28 PM
That was very touching i watch college gameday nearly every saturday and lees picks are the highlight of the program imo. Man i teared up a little after they showed herbie crying that was an awesome vid thanks for sharing.

Sooner_Tuf
12/10/2010, 12:51 PM
It was very moving. He has had quite a life so far.

melrosebeach
12/10/2010, 01:06 PM
Good clip.

Dang it. Someone must be cutting onions in my office.

I told people in my office my contacts were bothering me.

MamaMia
12/10/2010, 01:09 PM
He definitely deserves the honor, no question about it. If he is back next year great. If he can't do it any more b/c of health reasons, then I hope ESPN finds a way to keep him involved as long as he would like to be. Whether that is pre-recorded segments where he can make his picks, offer a few comments on each game etc..That would be good. I cant imagine college game day without his pick. Even when I'm at the game, I always record that pick to watch when I get home. :D

Howzit
12/10/2010, 01:29 PM
I told people in my office my contacts were bothering me.I told people in my office I just had sex.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/10/2010, 01:29 PM
Genuine character... I don't know if they covered it in the clip, but the man is hilarious... This is probably the most famous story:

Bloomington,IN Ohio St @ Indiana 1976

In the 2qtr with 14:55 to go Lee Corso head coach of Indiana called time out.

Here is the funny part, after taking a 7-6 lead over Ohio St he then had his team pose for a picture in front of the scoreboard. He then used the picture for a 1977 recruiting brochure. Ohio St won that game 47-7.

So why would he do something like this? To figure it out, we must hear the entire story. Here it is.

The whole idea started in 1951 when Indiana beat Ohio St. Woody Hayes said, "That football team will never beat me again- ever!"

Before the kickoff of the 1976 game Corso asked Woody how he was doing and Woody just growls at him. Corso's response "What the hell are you mad at me for? I was 10 years old when those guys beat you." Woody throws his hat and laughs at Corso.

Ohio St gets a a pick 6 and misses the extra point and then Indiana drives down and scores to take the 7-6 lead. After the extra point Corso walks across the field and tells the official, "We quit!" The official says, "What?" Corso, "We quit. We ain't playing no more." Official says, " You can't do that." Corso asks, "Why?" The official says, "You're going to get beat." Corso, "We are going to get beat anyhow. I quit. We're not going to play anymore." The official says "You can't do that!" Corso, "OK, Time Out!"

Corso then had the team and the photographer hurry up run under the scoreboard and took a picture. The crowd mostly Ohio St fans are going crazy, Woody throws hit hat at Corso and is yelling. The ref says to Corso, "What the hell are you doing"? Corso says, "You know what mister, it's been 25 years since Indiana has been ahead of that S.O.B., and I want a picture to prove I'm ahead of him!"

After the game the photographer has the nerve to ask Corso "Lee, do you want another picture?"

There are other great stories. Like the time he tried to drum up Louisville season ticket sales riding an elephant in a parade, or the time he popped out of a casket on his own TV show to deliver the message that they weren't dead yet.

He drives me nuts. And yet I'm a big fan. Hope he sticks around a few more years.

soonersweetie
12/10/2010, 01:45 PM
I watched it last night. That was tough watching him have trouble and getting so emotional. Such a classy guy. Seeing how Kirk, and Chris got emotional, you can tell they really do care for one another as friends.

I thought it appeared as Lee was saying goodbye as well. Very sad.

OUNASH
12/10/2010, 01:49 PM
Corso has been fun to watch. It showed how close these guys have become traveling with each other over the years. My kids asked me why I had a tear in my eye when I saw Herbie with tears running down his face. Very touching. Gonna miss you Mr. Corso if you decide to hang it up.

Flagstaffsooner
12/10/2010, 04:01 PM
I like Corso, he plays the devils advocate like Cosell did on MNF. He's fun to get mad at.

soonerinkaty
12/10/2010, 04:07 PM
Well it was a heart warming video, but I wasn't close to tearing up.

Gonna miss him if he leaves.

cattlemaster
12/10/2010, 05:17 PM
I like Corso, he plays the devils advocate like Cosell did on MNF. He's fun to get mad at.

He played a good part as the villian that you just cant hate. I laughed seeing him lead Indiana out on the field with his high water pants. If his hair would have been longer on top I would have sworn it was Cosmo Kramer from the show Seinfeld. :)

Lawton4Life
12/10/2010, 05:26 PM
Its not old age, he had a stroke.