PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Grey

sooned
12/9/2010, 07:53 PM
Does anyone know if he would consider attending OU. He is apparently considered to be one of the best in Texas at RB position.

Tigeman
12/9/2010, 11:25 PM
Apparently GRAY is all but a TX lock for what I've been hearing for a year now. Supposedly he's a TX fan since childhood.

On that note, to answer your original question, OU is on his list, but we've yet to offer. In addition, w/ Finch having a strong showing, Brandon Williams coming in, and Clay getting play time as a freshman, we likely don't pull any top running backs next year. Nor do we recruit anyone REALLY HARD at that position unless their the next AD. We'll offer, but not sure how hard we'll pursue it. He did say this once though
I like to watch Oklahoma with DeMarco Murray and Chris Brown. I like Texas too. Those are my two favorite programs. I attended the Oklahoma camp last summer," Jonathan said.Like I said before, the TX deal is all but a done deal I've heard. Of course w/ another season like this year from them, and that all could change.

Also don't discount Texas Tech, as that's where his dad went.

BASSooner
12/9/2010, 11:58 PM
Apparently GRAY is all but a TX lock for what I've been hearing for a year now. Supposedly he's a TX fan since childhood.

On that note, to answer your original question, OU is on his list, but we've yet to offer. In addition, w/ Finch having a strong showing, Brandon Williams coming in, and Clay getting play time as a freshman, we likely don't pull any top running backs next year. Nor do we recruit anyone REALLY HARD at that position unless their the next AD. We'll offer, but not sure how hard we'll pursue it. He did say this once though Like I said before, the TX deal is all but a done deal I've heard. Of course w/ another season like this year from them, and that all could change.

I've actually heard the complete opposite (ALMOST). NOT a done deal but an OU lean.

Tigeman
12/10/2010, 12:15 AM
I've actually heard the complete opposite (ALMOST). NOT a done deal but an OU lean.

That's good to hear BASS! Most my sources are down near the Houston area, and don't get a wholeeee lot of solid info from near the Ft Worth area.

I do know the TX fans are definitely confident he is there's.

sooned
12/10/2010, 12:36 AM
On the Texas boards, they seem to think he (Gray) is an almost sure commit.

Tigeman
12/10/2010, 01:27 PM
On the Texas boards, they seem to think he (Gray) is an almost sure commit.

Glad you agree ;):P

fwsooner22
12/14/2010, 11:10 AM
Watch out for ** hiring dad.

Widescreen
12/14/2010, 04:04 PM
Watch out for ** hiring dad.

If they do, I wonder if their fans will be as outraged as they were at the prospect of Stoops hiring Jim Jeffcoat last year. :rolleyes:

Ruf/Nek7
12/18/2010, 09:32 AM
Apparently GRAY
Nor do we recruit anyone REALLY HARD at that position unless their the next AD.

This guy IS the next AD!

Ruf/Nek7
12/18/2010, 09:33 AM

This guy plays just down the street from me and this is also what i have heard.

sooner518
12/18/2010, 09:39 AM
just FYI - Gray had 8 (EIGHT) touchdowns and 325 yards in the 4A Texas state Championship game last night. Half of his touchdowns were longer than 40 yards.

I didnt get much sleep the last few nights and ended up falling asleep at 915 so I didnt get to see any of it. dang. sounded like a hell of a performance

cjames317
12/18/2010, 01:54 PM
After TD no. 8, he totalled 59 for the season, breaking Kenneth Hall's Tx HS record of 57 that stood since 1953. The upcoming courtship of Jonathan Gray may rival that of Marcus Dupree.

sooner518
12/20/2010, 05:12 PM
watching highlights today, Gray looks ALOT better than Malcolm Brown. Doesnt sound as if he is into OU though....

texaspokieokie
12/20/2010, 05:20 PM
from what i saw, his dad went to tech, & he's just a junior.

rush4life
12/29/2010, 06:33 PM

On that note, to answer your original question, OU is on his list, but we've yet to offer. In addition, w/ Finch having a strong showing, Brandon Williams coming in, and Clay getting play time as a freshman, we likely don't pull any top running backs next year. Nor do we recruit anyone REALLY HARD at that position unless their the next AD. We'll offer, but not sure how hard we'll pursue it. He did say this once though Like I said before, the TX deal is all but a done deal I've heard. Of course w/ another season like this year from them, and that all could change.

I read the opposite of this on soonerscoop.com.... i hope you're wrong! plus i dont think he would go to texas since malcom brown is going still. these kids now days hate competition. this is why don't see him going to OU or tx but rather a TCU or some where out of state like florida state.

rush4life
12/29/2010, 06:34 PM
watching highlights today, Gray looks ALOT better than Malcolm Brown. Doesnt sound as if he is into OU though....

I played hs in texas in still follow up with it extensively... gray is def better than brown!

Tigeman
1/28/2011, 12:31 AM
I'm still hearing it's TX but possibly TCU now. From the looks of this, could be true...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5164/5365181510_b06d0db264.jpg

Tigeman
1/28/2011, 02:42 AM
Confirmation from USAO on his board that we're out w/ Gray!

IronHorseSooner
1/28/2011, 09:35 AM
Confirmation from USAO on his board that we're out w/ Gray!

That would make logical sense, unfortunately. With Brown at * and Brandon Williams coming to us (along with everybody else we have), I doubted that he would have chosen either. TCU or out-of-state would make more sense, since TCU will be in a BCS conference the first year that he would be on campus.

Tigeman
1/28/2011, 02:25 PM
I hear he likes Mack's style a bit better than Gary Patterson's but who knows. I wouldn't mind him at TCU, but if he ends up at * I'll be pissed.

I see no reason for him to be scared of Malcolm Brown and I doubt that affects his decision. Most programs feature 2 backs now.

texaspokieokie
1/28/2011, 03:35 PM
he's just a JR., isn't he ???

Mad Dog Madsen
1/28/2011, 03:45 PM
Yes. Class of 2012.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Johnathan-Gray-103880

SOONER STEAKER
1/31/2011, 11:03 AM
We need to recruit Grey hard as a stable of RB's can get depleted fast. Recruit the best no matter how stacked you are at a position. J

Just look at WR this year, Owens doesn't pan out and he transfers. Miller tears ACL, Chaz gets in the doghouse, Stills get a DUI and BOOM, we need WR.

OU can never have too many great players at one position, especially RB.

fwsooner22
1/31/2011, 01:45 PM
It's Gray and doesn't dad now coach at **. Nuff said.

kelloggOUballa
2/12/2011, 08:30 PM
Word on the streets is Gray is in Austin and set to commit to Texas this weekend.

sooner518
2/13/2011, 11:33 AM
Word on the streets is Gray is in Austin and set to commit to Texas this weekend.

sucks, but not surprising.

trwxxa
2/13/2011, 02:10 PM

His Dad is "apparently" telling folks his son will not commit this weekend and is in no hurry to commit to any school. We'll see.

rush4life
2/14/2011, 07:16 PM
This kid is the best back out of Texas since AD IMO. I like him more than Malcolm Brown (I liked Aaron Green more than Brown personally). Obviously I would want him to wear the crimson and creme. But I just have this gut feeling Gray is gonna be a Horned Frog.

Big D Sooner
2/14/2011, 07:25 PM
wear the crimson and creme.

Went with the French spelling? Bold choice. I always thought this site needed some damn culture.

rush4life
2/14/2011, 07:46 PM
Went with the French spelling? Bold choice. I always thought this site needed some damn culture.

Man that literally made me laugh out loud! LMAO!!

SoonerSnook
3/3/2011, 11:52 AM
Appears he's now narrowed his list to three TCU, ATM, and *. Also shows he doesn't have an offer from us anymore.

Herr Scholz
3/3/2011, 12:13 PM
But I just have this gut feeling Gray is gonna be a Horned Frog.
Just saw that TCU got RB LaDarius Anthony to switch his commitment from Baylor to them today. Don't know if that affects Gray or not. Read that his Dad was wanting a situation where he would be splitting carries with another back to avoid excess wear and tear. I think this one is down to a UT/TCU battle with TCU making up some ground recently.

trwxxa
3/3/2011, 08:17 PM
Just saw that TCU got RB LaDarius Anthony to switch his commitment from Baylor to them today. Don't know if that affects Gray or not. Read that his Dad was wanting a situation where he would be splitting carries with another back to avoid excess wear and tear. I think this one is down to a UT/TCU battle with TCU making up some ground recently.

Unless texas shapes up the O-line, they will need two backs because one will get killed.;)

I wouldn't rule out aTm just yet.

Herr Scholz
3/4/2011, 12:30 PM
Reports are that Gray is coming back to Austin tomorrow to check out a practice.

fwsooner22
3/4/2011, 03:58 PM
He will be a **. It's a foregone conclusion. He will be an automatic starter at ** without having to work hard. He will underachieve at ** and begin to realize his real potential sometime in the 3rd or 4th year in the NFL. That's how long it takes to catch up after being in the ** system. Stoops will find a way to limit him to less than 50 yards in all three games. It will be a repeat of Oh so much wasted running back talent that makes its way through **.

Herr Scholz
3/4/2011, 04:39 PM
Jamaal Charles has a national title ring. Does Adrian Peterson?

Ruf/Nek7
3/4/2011, 06:33 PM

That is not an individual achievement. How many unanimous All-American selections did jc get? How many Doak Walker's does jc have? How many All-Pro selections does jc have? How many NFL Rookie offensive MVP awards does jc have?

Shall I continue? I know it takes your type a little longer to fully comprehend things.

fwsooner22
3/4/2011, 06:34 PM

Adrian Peterson is an NFL superstar do you think he really cares ? Jamaal Charles would also tell he wishes he had Adrian Peterson's talent. C'mon Herr you're better than that. It's not all about your one championship. As you have said when one of US brings up the past; that's old news. It's also not relevant to the point I was making. I must of touched a nerve.

fwsooner22
3/4/2011, 06:36 PM

That was a really stupid comment. I hope you are already at happy hour. I have more respect for you than that.

OU_Sooners75
3/4/2011, 08:10 PM
That was a really stupid comment. I hope you are already at happy hour. I have more respect for you than that.

nvm

Herr Scholz
3/5/2011, 07:55 PM

Why don't you reread your post I was responding to and look in the mirror. What a complete bunch of drivel concerning the UT program.

As far as developing players, Texas has 46 players in the leage, OU has 36. Texas has 4 RBs in the league (Williams, Benson, Ogbonnaya and Charles), OU has 1. Both teams have 10 linemen in the league.

As far as accomplishments, Brown has 1 national title and Stoops has 1. Brown has 3 BCS bowl wins and Stoops has 3. Stoops definitely has the edge in conference titles but to say talent gets wasted at Texas is ridiculous.

fwsooner22
3/5/2011, 09:41 PM
Why don't you reread your post I was responding to and look in the mirror. What a complete bunch of drivel concerning the UT program.

As far as developing players, Texas has 46 players in the leage, OU has 36. Texas has 4 RBs in the league (Williams, Benson, Ogbonnaya and Charles), OU has 1. Both teams have 10 linemen in the league.

As far as accomplishments, Brown has 1 national title and Stoops has 1. Brown has 3 BCS bowl wins and Stoops has 3. Stoops definitely has the edge in conference titles but to say talent gets wasted at Texas is ridiculous.

So you are saying we had equal talent at the start of each season ?

Let me ask you something Herr how many t-shirts that said "7-time" Big 12 champs would you have given your relatives by now? I haven't even seen one with an OU on it.

Herr Scholz
3/7/2011, 12:48 PM
So you are saying we had equal talent at the start of each season ?
Yes. Recruiting rankings per the Rivals website have shown recruiting to be pretty darn even over the past decade (I posted these stats in the 'Recruiting Rumors' thread). Both schools get top notch talent and utilize and develop them for the NFL very well.

Let me ask you something Herr how many t-shirts that said "7-time" Big 12 champs would you have given your relatives by now? I haven't even seen one with an OU on it.
Not sure I understand your implication here. A) Both schools have rabid fanbases and B) I don't buy my relatives Longhorn gear. Only my older brother attended the university. My wife is an Aggie.

BOOMERBRADLEY
3/7/2011, 01:29 PM

I agree with Herr on this one. He might be a Horn but I will take 1,000 Herrs over one mindless sheep humper from Stoolwater that does nothing but spill hate for "gooners" out of his mouth

owenfieldreams
3/7/2011, 01:43 PM
Let's get to the real heart of the issue here. I've read the numerous posts from Herr Scholtz over the years and have enjoyed his viewpoint from a burnt orange perspective, but recruiting, coaching, players in the "league", etc., are not the whole story.

Texas represents the most underachieving, over-hyped program in major college football. Here we have a school that's the flagship university in a state with over 24 million in population. A school with a huge endowment and funding source and a tremendous alumni base. A school that has facilities par excellence and located in a city of over 700,000 that attracts young educated professionals from all over the country.

And yet, in it's well over 100 year history playing college football, a history I might add that while mirroring OU's in terms of length, is far more imposing in terms of relevance until the post WW11 (Modern Era), the Horns have managed only 4 national championships, one of which was split with Nebraska.

While OU, with little to show for it's first 40 or so years playing college football has, in the span of 60 years, won 7 national championships while operating out of a state with a total population that's almost half the size of either the Dallas or Houston metro areas, an alumni base and funding source that is dwarfed by UT, in a bucolic college town that is certainly not known for it's cultural prowess, much less it's proximity to Mexico (another asset UT has....trust me on this one, 3 of my kids went to UT).

Let's call a spade a spade! What galls UT fans and alumns is the fact that this relative small school from "mobilehoma" manages to go toe to toe with the behemoth on the Forty Acres and by most unbiased opinions (see ESPN ratings of programs in the Modern Era) surpasses the mighty Horns across the board.

I mean, if the average fan were to answer the question, name the 5 most prestigious, successful, dominant, traditional programs in college football, Texas would not make that list. There are 4 schools that are automatic.....ALABAMA, NOTRE DAME, SOUTHERN CAL., AND OKLAHOMA. #5 is a matter of conjecture and probably a debate between Nebraska & Ohio State. Hell, in it's short shooting star period of excellence, Miami won more NC's that UT. The Horns clearly make the top 10 but given their wealth of assets, it's a true indictment of their historical underachieving that sets them apart.

The fact that Herr Scholtz graces us with his presence pretty much says it all. He knows that we are, while hated,an opponent that engenders grudging respect. For when it's all said and done, THERE IS ONLY 1 OKLAHOMA!

Herr Scholz
3/7/2011, 02:18 PM
I agree with Herr on this one. He might be a Horn but I will take 1,000 Herrs over one mindless sheep humper from Stoolwater that does nothing but spill hate for "gooners" out of his mouth

Thanks, bro. I've always enjoyed coming over here to Soonerfans. You can't talk to the OU fans on rivals (save MiccoMacey).

And, owen, I definitely respect the OU program. I'd for sure put the Sooners in the top 5 all time teams (I'd put UT in the top 10). It doesn't gall me to say that, it's just the way it is. My point was only in response to fw that Gray coming to UT would be a mistake for him. Mack Brown develops and utilizes top talent very well. Gray will end up in the NFL from Austin without a doubt.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/12/2011, 10:16 PM
My point was only in response to fw that Gray coming to UT would be a mistake for him. Mack Brown develops and utilizes top talent very well. Gray will end up in the NFL from Austin without a doubt.We are grateful that the UT program is graced with a coach of Mack's talent and performance. You guys could do worse.

Herr Scholz
4/21/2011, 04:07 PM
Gray is announcing his decision at midnight tonight, will have a press conference at his high school at 9:00 tomorrow morning.

Mad Dog Madsen
4/21/2011, 04:54 PM
Gray is announcing his decision at midnight tonight, will have a press conference at his high school at 9:00 tomorrow morning.

Who are his top choices? Still the same 3?

sooner518
4/21/2011, 10:52 PM
midnight? thats weird. i just drank a big cup of coffee, so ill probably be up. hoping its not UT, but Im guessing it probably will be

sooner518
4/22/2011, 12:11 AM
not surprisingly, its UT. unlike Malcolm Brown, this guy's highlights are pretty scary good. not looking forward to seeing him for 4 years.

Curly Bill
4/22/2011, 12:45 AM
Yeah, what I saw of Brown I think he's way overrated. Jonathan Grey appears to be the real deal...

...though unlike some of the dummies on here, I don't consider any high school player a "can't miss prospect."

cherrylimeade
4/22/2011, 06:22 AM
Sweet...:P

47straight
4/22/2011, 11:46 AM
Sweet...:P

You can dream but Boom is staying in Austin.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2520938#post2520938

LOL @ U

p.s. 5-7.

47straight
4/22/2011, 11:47 AM
Ah. The annals of sf.com never forget.

cherrylimeade
4/22/2011, 05:30 PM
Sweeter that you care so much.... :P

47straight
4/23/2011, 08:46 AM
Sweeter that you care so much.... :P

Not as sweet as that you're so obsessed with the Sooners that you care to post over here.