PDA

View Full Version : TWO NEW BIG 12 TEAMS?

JRAM
12/9/2010, 05:08 PM
I recently spoke with a guy that I coached in HS that is a coach at OU. During the conversation, the subject of what the Big 12 will do in the next couple of years came up. He told me that the word going around is that we can look forward to , believe it or not, Notre Dame to join the conference along with Brigham Young. Just pack away this information for future reference over the next couple of years.

RedstickSooner
12/9/2010, 05:10 PM
That makes no sense. The entire point of the new format is that we're gonna ditch the CCG and play round-robin. We can't do that with any more teams.

Collier11
I would like that, I just dont see it happening though

virginiasooner
Dear God, save us from such an outcome. Too bad TCU was snatched up by the Big East.

Rocko
12/9/2010, 05:11 PM
Get outta here! No really, I don't want either team in this conference.

Collier11
That makes no sense. The entire point of the new format is that we're gonna ditch the CCG and play round-robin. We can't do that with any more teams.

The new format is only cus we lost two teams, if we add two we could easily adjust

SouthCarolinaSooner
Well BYU > Colorado and if Notre Dame could bring that TV contract for the entire conference...

KantoSooner
12/9/2010, 05:15 PM
So, we'd then have TWO teams who wanted to run everything their way. And another new one who is holier than thou.
Add a bunch of revenue, though. And be funny to watch Tejas and ND bitch and whine at each other.

crawfish
12/9/2010, 05:19 PM
Notre Dame would do two things: 1) give the conference more credibility by including a traditional power, and 2) give the north a school that can compete economically with texas. They may not be a great football school lately, but they still give us higher visibility and potentially more money. They more than make up for the loss of Nebraska.

BYU also gives us credibility, although I don't think they are an even exchange for Colorado.

There is no way the Big 12 will survive as it is right now. I'd be ecstatic to see both teams join.

OUNC06
12/9/2010, 05:19 PM
Beating the Mormons, the Catholics, and the Horns every year would give me great pleasure.

yankee
12/9/2010, 05:20 PM
No.

sluggo sooner
12/9/2010, 05:22 PM
And the Baptists. Don't forget the Baptists.

IndySooner
12/9/2010, 05:24 PM
This is asinine. Absolutely ZERO chance Notre Dame comes to the Big 12. None.

OUNC06
12/9/2010, 05:25 PM
This is asinine. Absolutely ZERO chance Notre Dame comes to the Big 12. None.

So you're saying there is a chance? ;)

DrZaius
12/9/2010, 05:25 PM
This is the dumbest thread evar!

sluggo sooner
12/9/2010, 05:26 PM
" . . . . but we DON"T want the Irish."

"Awe, Prairie $#!+. Everybody."

Linky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boO4RowROiw

BillyBall
12/9/2010, 05:27 PM
This is the dumbest thread evar!

You must not look at RLIMC's threads...

Dwight
12/9/2010, 05:27 PM
Although I'd rather have Colorado and Nebraska back, adding ND and BYU is better for the conference. A conference championship game could potentially decide who goes to the NC every year. 12-0 OU or 13-0 Ohio State?

SunnySooner
12/9/2010, 05:29 PM
Wow, that would be all kinds of Holy Wars...Catholics, Protestants, Mormons, OH MY!!!! We would just need Al Muhammed U and (insert Jewish-sounding-name-here) College and we could sort out this whole religion thing on the field.

The fact is, we need teams, might as well be them.

OUChampsBig12
12/9/2010, 05:32 PM
I like the thought of BYU and Louisville. I am not sure anything soon will happen though. This conference really needs 12 teams though. The SEC started this and The Big 12 followed and now it is a movement in all conferences. I worry about The Big 12 getting passed up. Of course there is always OU and Texas. Trust that we all know Texas will be back again?

batonrougesooner
12/9/2010, 05:32 PM
That would be great in my opinion.

We would literally have a coast to coast TV market.

OU, TX, BYU, ND all sharing a TV contract would be a good thing.

Collier11
12/9/2010, 05:34 PM
I would say again, although I dont see this happening, show me 2 better and more viable options?

BoomerSooner, esq.
12/9/2010, 05:35 PM
We definitely need teams. And we did wait WAY too long and let the better schools join other conferences. Both ND and BYU have HUGE followings and it would definitely boost income. Other than that, I dont see much of an upgrade. If the only going to survive is a superconference, I dont think that the addition of those two schools is going to cut it.

BoomerSooner, esq.
12/9/2010, 05:37 PM
I would say again, although I dont see this happening, show me 2 better and more viable options?

I agree with you. Unfortunately, the Big 12 waited too long and now we have to take what is left. These are two of the few attractive (marginally) schools that remain to be gobbled up.

Mad Dog Madsen
12/9/2010, 05:37 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_RYI4vOFHaJ0/TGNFI_adiEI/AAAAAAAAAEE/o4sDsppDTkk/s320/hook-line-sinker.gif

sluggo sooner
12/9/2010, 05:43 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_RYI4vOFHaJ0/TGNFI_adiEI/AAAAAAAAAEE/o4sDsppDTkk/s320/hook-line-sinker.gif

Hook, line and stinker. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6dm9rN6oTs

MeMyself&Me
12/9/2010, 05:47 PM
That would be a financial windfall for the Big 12 and is the idea scenario but I doubt that even if you could get Notre Dame on board that they'd want to do it with the mormons. I think Notre Dame is a big enough fish FINANCIALLY that you tell them that they can bring a team of their choice with them. I bet that would be someone a little closer to their home.

And to those that think there is NO chance to land Notre Dame... it's a long shot due to traditions but it is actually the smart choice for Notre Dame FINANCIALLY. They'd make more money in the Big 12 than they do independent, more money than they would in the Big East, and more money than they would in the Big 10.

LASooner
12/9/2010, 05:51 PM
BYU is a terrible fit, they don't play sports on Sunday, so you end up accommodating them in every sport that does for not a big payoff.
Notre Dame and Lousiville or Cincy would be better.

Whet
12/9/2010, 05:52 PM
Plus, GE is trying to get out of its TV contract with them.

Tigeman
12/9/2010, 05:53 PM
Jram, im glad you heard that as well. I posted that I knew for a fact that the big 12 was courting ND and in fact they (ND) were very interested, sometime back in August or Sept. I had been informed that texas was doing the leg work on this one as apparently Deloss has a history w/ ND's AD. I posted about it again after the BYU move and that BYU was a lock. The move to go indi was a move on there part to position themselves for the move to the Big 12. I was told on here no way in hell we get ND... I was like... No you guys dont understand... its almost a forsure deal. Just saying your info matches mine, and my source is a very legit source, and sounds like urs is too.

MamaMia
12/9/2010, 05:56 PM
I cant wait to play Notre Dame but I don't want them in our conference. I just don't want to deal with them that much. I'm too busy hating Texas.

yermom
12/9/2010, 05:57 PM
this would let Notre Dame recruit more in Texas, right?

they aren't exactly tearing things up right now. i think this could be beneficial for them and the conference

swardboy
12/9/2010, 05:58 PM
As long as they don't call us the Irish Conference...

oudavid1
12/9/2010, 06:27 PM
Notre Dame and Arkansas. yes.

85sooners
12/9/2010, 06:28 PM
Lol

NorCal Sooner
12/9/2010, 06:40 PM
I've got news. ND is not going to come to the Big 12. They have had offers from about every major conference as it is. I don't see any big advatage for ND by coming to the Big 12. If they were going to make the move to a conference it would have been the Big 10. Don't hold you breath......

soonerbub
12/9/2010, 06:44 PM
It would give em both chances to prove it on the field + guaranteed schedules.
Big TV money nationwide **** I like it

hawaii 5-0
12/9/2010, 06:46 PM
Last I heard it was Memphis St. and Boise State.

I'll believe it when I see it.

5-0

SoonerOX
12/9/2010, 06:49 PM
This sounds very far-fetched. The domers have defended their independent status ravenously, and I don't see them giving it up now.

Tigeman
12/9/2010, 06:51 PM
If they were going to make the move to a conference it would have been the Big 10. Don't hold you breath......

The logic behind the deal is a bit more farsighted than you seem to be thinking. By going to the Big 10, they will no longer be in control of what they bring in or allowed to have their own network. TX is laying the ground work to allow the schools in the Big 12 to do just that with their network deal, and OU is close behind. By going to the Big 10 they will be forced to split their revenue evenly with the other schools. Coming here, they will be given a % based on the value of their product.

In short the big 12 runs a loose ship that will allow ND to do as they wish, and make as much money as they wish, instead of handcuffing them to give their money to the little schools.

budbarrybob
12/9/2010, 07:01 PM
How bout we take ND and boot lOSUr??

mdklatt
12/9/2010, 07:11 PM
He told me that the word going around is that we can look forward to , believe it or not, Notre Dame to join the conference along with Brigham Young.

So we'd have the Baptists, the Catholics, the Mormons, and the dead dog worshipers in Collie Station? Sweet Aqua Buddha! :eek:

Does Brandeis have an athletic department?

sluggo sooner
12/9/2010, 07:15 PM
How bout we take ND and boot lOSUr??

The Cowboys will not be able to accept any change of conference that requires them to travel to the northeast, due to the increased number of tollways and turnpikes.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbWg-mozGsU

CBUS_SOONER
12/9/2010, 07:17 PM
Beating the Mormons, the Catholics, and the Horns every year would give me great pleasure.

hey im catholic:(

bigfatjerk
12/9/2010, 07:26 PM
The other conferences would basically tell ND they can't have the NBC contract. Same with BYU joining any major conference. They have an ESPN deal now where all their games are gonna be on ESPN. But the Big 12 has basically said they would allow teams to have their own TV networks. I think that would give the Big 12 an advantage over the other conferences. I don't see anyway ND goes to the Big 10 or PAC 12 for that reason alone. Plus may be the Big 12 can maybe market itself to NBC and have more national games on there instead of regional Fox Sports. This makes sense for a lot of reasons.

SoonerMarkVA
12/9/2010, 07:30 PM
I really don't care whether this happens or not, but if ND ended up joining the XII, after all the prostrating the B10 has done to get them, failed, and gave up to go with Nebbish, I will LOLZ my arse off for at least 4 months. At least. Easily could go more.

LASooner
12/9/2010, 08:36 PM
Just saying your info matches mine, and my source is a very legit source, and sounds like urs is too.

Our you both have the same crack dealer.

Penguin
12/9/2010, 08:47 PM
The Big 12 will dissolve before anything like this happens. The Big 12 is in some serious denial and/or on crack if they think this can actually happen.

Wayne Jarvis
12/9/2010, 08:52 PM
Both ND and BYU have HUGE followings and it would definitely boost income. Other than that, I dont see much of an upgrade.

What do you mean "other than that"? That's what it's all about.

SoonerSnook
12/9/2010, 10:32 PM
If it's true it's true, but does anyone think ND would give up all of their "rivalries" at this point to join a conference?

That would mean no ND/USC, ND/Michigan, ND/Mich St., etc.

I guess they wouldn't mind giving USC up or Navy I mean they can't beat them anyways.

bluedogok
12/9/2010, 10:38 PM
Dear God, save us from such an outcome. Too bad TCU was snatched up by the Big East.
No big deal, TCU changes conferences every few years.

Tigeman
12/9/2010, 10:38 PM
OOCG Snook... Out of conference!

SoonerSnook
12/9/2010, 10:45 PM
OOCG Snook... Out of conference!

They have more than that they play on a regular basis, I was just giving a few and they wouldn't risk all of those for our tiebreakers to win a division. JMO

Tigeman
12/9/2010, 10:46 PM

You will NEVER, EVER, see TCU as the next 2. In fact you will not see any school from TX, nor will you see Boise. Any expansion is about TV viewers, and nothing more! Adding a Texas school adds no additional TV sets, so that's why it won't happen.

There's a reason Boise has had maybe 3 or 4 televised games while being the #2-#4 ranked team throughout the season. They aren't a TV draw, period. Their TV market is crap! In addition putting them in a stronger conference will only destroy their underdog draw, as now they'll be a perennial 2 or 3 loss team.

TX and OU are pulling Bebe's strings on this deal, and will not allow a horizontal or backwards move on this deal! Any addition will be to a large TV market.

SoonerSnook
12/9/2010, 10:50 PM
Tigeman-

I agree with you for the most part with your comments regarding why TCU would never join the Big XII. However Boise had several of their games televised this year. That was the main reason they played their games on Thursday and or Friday so they could get the exposure.

As far as TX and OU pulling strings??? There is no such thing happening. This conference for better or worse is all about whatever TX does that was more than proven this past summer with the talks of the PAC-16. Wherever TX went everyone else wanted to go including OU.

MeMyself&Me
12/9/2010, 10:52 PM
If it's true it's true, but does anyone think ND would give up all of their "rivalries" at this point to join a conference?

I guess they wouldn't mind giving USC up or Navy I mean they can't beat them anyways.

It all depends on whether the deciding vote on the matter is looking at dollars or tradition (see OU/Nebraska). Tradition says "no". Dollars say "yes". It would be a good financial decision for both the Big 12 and ND.

Regarding the BCS tie breaker, I would think a ND supporter would think they would dominate a Big 12 North division most years... especially with improved recruiting in Texas. Like I said before, I don't think if ND comes on board that BYU will. I think ND will pick the team that comes with them and I would think that would be some easy to beat team in a big market from the Big East.

MeMyself&Me
12/9/2010, 10:55 PM
That was the main reason they played their games on Thursday and or Friday so they could get the exposure.

I think you're making his point for him there.

SoonerSnook
12/9/2010, 11:01 PM
It all depends on whether the deciding vote on the matter is looking at dollars or tradition (see OU/Nebraska). Tradition says "no". Dollars say "yes". It would be a good financial decision for both the Big 12 and ND.

Regarding the BCS tie breaker, I would think a ND supporter would think they would dominate a Big 12 North division most years... especially with improved recruiting in Texas. Like I said before, I don't think if ND comes on board that BYU will. I think ND will pick the team that comes with them and I would think that would be some easy to beat team in a big market from the Big East.

I would agree with that. That is a great point about OU/Neb. That was a rivalry that didn't have to die but it did. I don't think it died because of the dollars though. They could have made that work just the same that the SEC made it work for their schools. "Someone" didn't want the OU/Neb anymore and that's why it failed not because of money.

I would think ND would dominate the North division most years, or at least between them and Misery.

silverwheels
12/9/2010, 11:03 PM
This JRAM dude is something else.

Tigeman
12/9/2010, 11:05 PM
LOL.... I know they did Snook. Like I said, they had 3 or 4 games on this year, but that was about it. Now I'm only referring to the "Normal Channels" (I.E. ABC, CBS, NBC, ESPN, ESPN2.... not the U, CBS sports, or some obscure local channel)

I think there was Va Tech, Oregon St., Fresno St. Nevada and ????

If I remember right that was it. I could be wrong, there might have been more, but not that I can remember and I'm to lazy to go look.

Ohhhh, wait a minute, there was a 5th, I remember there was La Tech b/c La Tech was hanging in there till about half like on a FREAKING TUESDAY (or some obscure day like that)!!!

usaosooner
12/9/2010, 11:09 PM
this thread is turrable, just turrable

SoonerSnook
12/9/2010, 11:10 PM
There was La Tech and it actually got me to watch a football game on a Tuesday. Weirdest feeling the next day though I thought it was Friday the whole day. PISSED me off.

bigfatjerk
12/9/2010, 11:28 PM

How many rivalries is Notre Dame giving up to move to the Big 10? Not just OU/Neb, but Neb/Missouri, and Neb/CU have turned into big rivalries recently.

SoonerSnook
12/9/2010, 11:37 PM
How many rivalries is Notre Dame giving up to move to the Big 10? Not just OU/Neb, but Neb/Missouri, and Neb/CU have turned into big rivalries recently.

I know you meant Nebraska but I mean they are not giving up OU/Neb that was givin up in 1996. The Neb/Misery was never a rivalry nor CU. That would be like calling OU/little brother a rivalry.

Penguin
12/10/2010, 12:10 AM
Notre Dame? Seriously? Are you people really serious?

They have rivalries with Michigan, Michigan State, and Purdue for 110+ years and the Naval Academy for 83 years. Don't forget about the other rivalries that have only been around for 60+ years. Notre Dame is the richest football program in America.

And people on this message board seriously think that they are going to give all that up in order to play Iowa State, Missouri, Kansas, and Kansas State every year?????? Do you really think that the nearly defunct Big 12 will offer enough money to tempt them for more than 2 seconds?????

I have super secret connected sources in "the know" that tell me that people on here must really love their LSD-laced crack.

Tigeman
12/10/2010, 12:26 AM
I have super secret connected sources in "the know" that tell me that people on here must really love their LSD-laced crack.

Well if you reads these boards our coaches are on crack. So maybe mine and JRAM's sources are just that :rolleyes::pop:

StoopTroup
12/10/2010, 12:41 AM
Not only is this true about ND and BYU....but Michigan and Michigan State are ready to come too. Something about they won't be able to deal with Huskers being a rival....

I got this info from a friend who's sister is banging Erin Andrew's hairbrush.

Tigeman
12/10/2010, 12:43 AM

Did you tell your friend's sis that you'll volunteer your services to spare the hairbrush?

Any video? I'll swap you the Kim Kardashian video for it! :D

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/10/2010, 12:48 AM
I recently spoke with a guy that I coached in HS that is a coach at OU. During the conversation, the subject of what the Big 12 will do in the next couple of years came up. He told me that the word going around is that we can look forward to , believe it or not, Notre Dame to join the conference along with Brigham Young. Just pack away this information for future reference over the next couple of years.While I find this scenario doubtful, I kind of like it. We could put it on the domer big time. yee haa!

Tigeman
12/10/2010, 12:49 AM

http://halfmanhalfdog.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/michael-david-barrett.jpg

This guy wants to know if he can buy the brush!?!?!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/10/2010, 12:51 AM
You must not look at RLIMC's threads...Nice insult. Do you like my sig, too?

MeMyself&Me
12/10/2010, 08:04 AM
Do you really think that the nearly defunct Big 12 will offer enough money to tempt them for more than 2 seconds?????

Notre Dame would make more money in just about every BCS AQ conference than they do as an indy. Also the Big 12 would have the best monetary situaion for ND because:

Inequal revenue sharing favors Notre Dame.

Keeping own network (as opposed to a conference network) favors Notre Dame.

Also, having better access to recruits in Texas favors Notre Dame too in terms of success and the ability to compete in a weaker north division.

The money has gotten to a point that it's too high to ignore for most programs and they're making decisions based on that. I still think ND is a long shot due to the fact that every bit of ND tradition says no to the Big 12. But to say it's not a possibility is ignoring the facts.

PLaw
12/10/2010, 07:05 PM

And, not having a CCG makes no sense, especially now. The Pac and Big X saw that not having the CCG put their teams at a disadvantage of getting into the BCS MNC game.

Now, the Big Lame East and the Big ?? will be the only two BCS auto-qualifying conferences without a CCG. Think about that.

The King in Training will change his song just as soon as he has a 12-0 team that is left on the outside looking into the big dance.

Bummer

3DSooner
12/10/2010, 08:30 PM
Sorry-
The Catholics bring nothing to the table.
They are not worthy of playing in our Conference.
They are only a name. Their time of glory has passed.
That ship has sailed.

kelloggOUballa
12/10/2010, 09:51 PM
Seriously? Anyone who thinks Notre Dame wouldn't be huge for the Big 12 is crazy! That's the piece of the puzzle that eventually draws Arkansas, LSU, and the two Arizona schools to the Big 12.

SoonerLB
12/10/2010, 10:44 PM
Just bring in two more quality teams to keep it the Big 12, don't make that much difference who they are, 'cause we gonna make 'em SOONER biotches anyway! :D

Octavian
12/10/2010, 10:56 PM
Offer Notre Dame some kind of "affiliate" status and only require them to play 6 "conference games" per year

rotate every South team every year (3)

rotate the remaining North teams every year (2)

new annual series with BYU (1) who could be a member or "affiliate" also

= 6 regular season games against the Big XII-II

Win 5 of those or have a higher BCS ranking than other "North" teams and have access to the Big XII CCG

Get to Keep:

NBC deal

6 open dates on your schedule for whoever you'd like

all current rivalries

all other sports in the Big East

independent culture and tradition

Gain:

Another avenue to the BCS

Access to Sun Belt recruiting

Access to rapidly growing Catholic population

Even more special distinction than Big Ten neighbors

Much More $$

sooner ngintunr
12/10/2010, 11:00 PM
Sorry-
The Catholics bring nothing to the table.
They are not worthy of playing in our Conference.
They are only a name. Their time of glory has passed.
That ship has sailed.

That is incorrect.

SoonerLB
12/10/2010, 11:01 PM
Offer Notre Dame some kind of "affiliate" status and only require them to play 6 "conference games" per year

rotate every South team every year (3)

rotate the remaining North teams every year (2)

new annual series with BYU (1) who could be a member or "affiliate" also

= 6 regular season games against the Big XII-II

Win 5 of those or have a higher BCS ranking than other "North" teams and have access to the Big XII CCG

Get to Keep:

NBC deal

6 open dates on your schedule for whoever you'd like

all current rivalries

all other sports in the Big East

independent culture and tradition

Gain:

Another avenue to the BCS

Access to Sun Belt recruiting

Access to rapidly growing Catholic population

Even more special distinction than Big Ten neighbors

Much More $$

NO! They come here, they play like every other team in the conference, PERIOD!

SoonerShark
12/10/2010, 11:05 PM
And the Baptists. Don't forget the Baptists.

Just what we need...three cults.

Rickety_Syd
12/10/2010, 11:05 PM
Notre Dame would make more money in just about every BCS AQ conference than they do as an indy. Also the Big 12 would have the best monetary situaion for ND because:

Inequal revenue sharing favors Notre Dame.

Keeping own network (as opposed to a conference network) favors Notre Dame.

Also, having better access to recruits in Texas favors Notre Dame too in terms of success and the ability to compete in a weaker north division.

The money has gotten to a point that it's too high to ignore for most programs and they're making decisions based on that. I still think ND is a long shot due to the fact that every bit of ND tradition says no to the Big 12. But to say it's not a possibility is ignoring the facts.

The money would have to be considered. But while other schools and conferences are willing to kill tradition for money, tradition still matters to Notre Dame. This is why they are still independent. They don't need a conference to schedule games because they have so many traditional rivals they play every year. Joining a conference would mean giving up some of their traditions and I don't see the school or their alumni willing to do that. Not yet, anyway. Maybe someday their situation will get desperate enough to where they'll do away with some of their traditions to get their hands on some sweet, sweet cash.