Soonermagik
12/9/2010, 09:45 AM
In no particular order:

Oklahoma
Texas
Ohio State
Alabama
Florida

Anyone have anything different? Hence, wouldn't Florida be kind of a lateral move for Stoops? I would especially think so with a possible national championship team coming up next year.

bmjlr
12/9/2010, 09:52 AM
How come you left out Boise State? They are always being left out! :mad:

JK :D

OklahomaTuba
12/9/2010, 09:53 AM
No Okie Lite?

SoonerE
12/9/2010, 10:15 AM
I would think USC would be somewhere on that list, just for the whole WOW factor and what about LSUck??

soonerinabilene
12/9/2010, 10:25 AM
hawaii. zero expectations, and you get paid to live in hawaii.

SoonerPr8r
12/9/2010, 10:43 AM

THIS^^^

SbOrOiNaEnR
12/9/2010, 10:51 AM
Pretty sure you're also PAYING a hefty penny to live in Hawaii. Being surrounded on all sides by 10,000 miles of ocean is expensive.

SoonerPride
12/9/2010, 11:23 AM
In no particular order:

Oklahoma
Texas
Ohio State
Alabama
Florida

Anyone have anything different? Hence, wouldn't Florida be kind of a lateral move for Stoops? I would especially think so with a possible national championship team coming up next year.

Notre Dame used to be up there. But I don't think so any more. The exclusive TV deal doesn't mean as much since big time programs like OU and Texas are literally on every single week anyway. And the academic requirements are now more stringent than they used to be when Holtz was winning big.

I think your list accurately reflects the football programs that have the right mix of tradition, fan support, and prestige to be considered the top 5 programs.

And yes, Florida is at best a lateral move, if not a slight step down.

OUEngr1990
12/9/2010, 11:29 AM
No Nebraska?

SoonerPride93
12/9/2010, 11:31 AM
No Nebraska?

Cold weather, terrible city, and hard to recruit in Texas? I dont think so.

BoulderSooner79
12/9/2010, 11:37 AM
One could debate the list particulars, but no one could leave OU off any "top X" list of CFB programs. So leaving would be a lateral move at best - it would have to be a personal thing - like family location.

IMO, USC would be high on the list and I guess ND if you're catholic.

PDXsooner
12/9/2010, 12:00 PM
Trying to be objective:

Category 1 (resources, support, recruiting location, history)
Texas
Florida
USC

Category 2
Oklahoma
Ohio State
Nebraska
Alabama
Michigan
Miami
Florida State

NormanPride
12/9/2010, 12:03 PM
USC has 1/10th the support that other big schools have.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/9/2010, 12:03 PM
Pretty sure you're also PAYING a hefty penny to live in Hawaii. Being surrounded on all sides by 10,000 miles of ocean is expensive.TAXES are also easy to pay if you make a couple mil or more per year.

The
12/9/2010, 12:04 PM
Bowl Executive
Pac Ten Replay Official
NFL Agent Scout
Sideline Reporter
Cam Newton's Dad

PDXsooner
12/9/2010, 12:06 PM
USC has 1/10th the support that other big schools have.

They have financial and athletic department support, not fan support. The advantage for USC is that similar to how Saudi Arabia is floating on oil, they are floating on recruits.

ashley
12/9/2010, 12:26 PM
In 2009 USC averaged 84,799 in attendance. So much for no fan support. They are LA's pro team.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
12/9/2010, 12:30 PM
I wouldn't say LSU is a top 5 job. They are a Johnny Comelately and I don't think that it is a great job. I pretty much agree with OU, Texas, tOSU, Alabama though.

Side note, Oregon job would be pretty sweet with Nike basically giving you an open checkbook. That is a great recruiting tool.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
12/9/2010, 12:34 PM
Bowl Executive
Pac Ten Replay Official
NFL Agent Scout
Sideline Reporter
Cam Newton's Dad

^^^^^this:D

2121Sooner
12/9/2010, 12:38 PM
Bowl Executive
Pac Ten Replay Official
NFL Agent Scout
USC Song Girl coach
Cam Newton's Dad

Fixed it.......

NormanPride
12/9/2010, 12:40 PM
In 2009 USC averaged 84,799 in attendance. So much for no fan support. They are LA's pro team.

Just wait. California couldn't give two ****s about football.

Quik Sand
12/9/2010, 12:43 PM
Tier 1

Oklahoma
Alabama
Texas
Nebraska
Ohio State
Michigan
USC

Tier 2

Florida
Florida State
LSU

If not Tier 1, Nebraska and Michigan would top the Tier 2 list.

Sooner in Tampa
12/9/2010, 12:52 PM
Tier 1

Oklahoma
Alabama
Texas
Nebraska
Ohio State
Michigan
USC

Tier 2

Florida
Florida State
LSU

NO WAY IN HELL the bugeaters and meatchicken are Tier 1...NO WAY

meatchicken is on the way DOWN with Rich Rod...the bugeaters are neutral will bubble gum bo...they may actually start to decline with the move to another conference...all of the other schools on the Tier 1 list PWN meatchicken and bugeater U...so, they are Tier 2 IMHO

My Opinion Matters
12/9/2010, 01:05 PM
1. Texas HC
2. Texas AD
3. Texas DC
4. Texas OC
5. Bevo

12/9/2010, 01:06 PM
In 2009 USC averaged 84,799 in attendance. So much for no fan support. They are LA's pro team.Maybe Bill Bidwill can move the Cardinals over to LA. He shoulda done that way back before they conned the people of Maricopa County into accepting a stadium tax.

Pro football teams serve one great purpose for college teams not in their city/immediate area, by depressing attendance at the local college football games.

SoonerFaninAZ
12/9/2010, 01:53 PM
Tier 1

Oklahoma
Alabama
Texas
Nebraska
Ohio State
Michigan
USC

Tier 2

Florida
Florida State
LSU

The Florida job--and perhaps even the Florida State job--in 2010, is a much, much better job than either Nebraska or Michigan.

kelloggOUballa
12/9/2010, 02:14 PM
I'm not buying the whole "resources" thing in regards to Florida. How'd that work for the Zooker, and everyone pre-Spurrier? As far as resources, let's start with the Florida jobs: 1. Miami, 2. Florida State, 3. Florida. The top two have the same resources, and more tradition. (Don't give me any Gatorade propaganda)

Now, top five jobs in the country, in no particular order. All have tradition and history, and are close enough to recruiting hotbeds for location to not be a factor:

Oklahoma
Texas
Alabama
USC
Notre Dame

SpankyNek
12/9/2010, 02:18 PM
In no particular order:

Oklahoma
Texas
Ohio State
Alabama
Florida

The only change I would make is I would substitute Michigan (at this time) for Ohio St.

Expectations have been drastically reduced, and they are able to get the same quality of player (With the right guy, maybe better ones)

Michigan may even let RichRod stay for another year...talk about job security.

RedstickSooner
12/9/2010, 02:32 PM
There's no way Florida is the sort of elite job folks are suggesting here.

The elite schools to coach at, in no particular order:

Meatchicken
Bucknuts
Us
Texas
Bama
Suc

None of the florida schools make the list because none has truly dominated that rich recruiting ground. Miami, Florida and FSU have *all* had dynastic moments which then imploded. In truth, those three schools demonstrate that the state of Florida is a superb place to coach if you're a great coach. But that doesn't make them marquis schools.

PDXsooner
12/9/2010, 03:27 PM
Now, top five jobs in the country, in no particular order. All have tradition and history, and are close enough to recruiting hotbeds for location to not be a factor:

Oklahoma
Texas
Alabama
USC
Notre Dame

You have got to be kidding me. This is 2010, not 1988.

SoonerFaninAZ
12/9/2010, 03:51 PM
There's no way Florida is the sort of elite job folks are suggesting here.

The elite schools to coach at, in no particular order:

Meatchicken
Bucknuts
Us
Texas
Bama
Suc

None of the florida schools make the list because none has truly dominated that rich recruiting ground. Miami, Florida and FSU have *all* had dynastic moments which then imploded. In truth, those three schools demonstrate that the state of Florida is a superb place to coach if you're a great coach. But that doesn't make them marquis schools.

I think that makes the point that almost any of the Florida jobs are quality.

You say all three schools "imploded." When? They've all had some down times in the last 30 years, for sure. What school hasn't?

Where was OU on this list from 1994-1998. Heck, from 1992-1998? It happens. Schools go through periods of down time.

In 2010, it's easier to win at the University of Florida than at either Nebraska or Michigan. No brainer.

A simple case in point could be Pelini showing interest in the Miami job. While I wouldn't necessarily consider that a step up, it's still a job in Florida. And the third best one at that. Why would he take a step down?

achiro
12/9/2010, 04:04 PM
It's funny Penn State is never on these lists but I have a feeling after JoPa is done that it will be one pretty high on the list(maybe in the top 10, not 5 though) as long as they don't look for another top tier coach that will work for minimum wage.

hawaii 5-0
12/9/2010, 04:28 PM

I guess if that was the case June Jones would still be there. They didn't even provide shower soap to their athletes. Very cheep.

Their recruiting budget is only about 50K.

5-0

BetterSoonerThanLater
12/9/2010, 04:33 PM

living in Ca has taught me that californian's are fans of those prgrams--pro or college-- that are doing well. when they aren't, it's adios MF.

USC's bandwagon fans will be jumping off here pretty quick. Even a good friend of mine who is a " die hard" USC fan, hardly watched any of their games this year...and he went to school there

mdklatt
12/9/2010, 07:20 PM
NO WAY IN HELL the bugeaters and meatchicken are Tier 1...NO WAY

meatchicken is on the way DOWN with Rich Rod

That makes them even more attractive to somebody who could come in there and turn it around hell. Holy hell, it's Michigan. I could coach Michigan to at least bowl eligibility every year. RichRod is playing smallball and acting like he's still in the Big East. Michigan is absolutely a top tier job.

Reddoggie
12/9/2010, 07:25 PM
Cold weather, terrible city, and hard to recruit in Texas? I dont think so.

We have 24 Texans on our roster?

Hmm...........

And Lincoln ain't much different than Norman.

boomermagic
12/9/2010, 07:53 PM
To me OU is the very best but The King in his book said texas so I have to go along with him..
OU 2
Bama 3
usc 4
florida 5

Soonermagik
12/9/2010, 08:11 PM
We have 24 Texans on our roster?

Hmm...........

And Lincoln ain't much different than Norman.

Dude, I just checked the weather averages on weather.com

In the dead of winter Norman average highs are in the 50's. Whereas, Lincoln's average highs are in the 30's. That's a pretty big difference. :hot:

It's going to be harder to attract recruits to play in the ice boxes of Ohio, Michigan etc.. Plus, players won't be playing in front of their families in Texas every year. It's going to be harder to recruit Texas kids and that's the truth.

12/9/2010, 08:12 PM
That makes them even more attractive to somebody who could come in there and turn it around hell. Holy hell, it's Michigan. I could coach Michigan to at least bowl eligibility every year. RichRod is playing smallball and acting like he's still in the Big East. Michigan is absolutely a top tier job.The economy of Meatchicken has prolly contributed to taking the team's luster away, and I would be surprised if much improvement is imminent. tOSU owns what's left of the Rust Belt...but, that doesn't stop the Nebbish from buying into it.