PDA

View Full Version : Great Point made by Gottlieb

Collier11
12/8/2010, 04:03 PM
Why is it that Izzo is considered one of the top, if not the top coach in CBB with his 6 Final Fours in 12 years but only 1 title while Stoops with his 8 BCS games, 7 Conf Titles, 4 Natl title appearances, and 1 National title in 12 years is considered a big game choker?

JohnnyMack
12/8/2010, 04:04 PM
Doug Gottleib can eat a bag of dicks and throw himself into a volcano.

The
12/8/2010, 04:05 PM
Doug Gottleib is a credit card thief and can throw himself into a supernova.

sooner59
He's got a point though.

SoonerDood
Same with Dean Smith at UNC. All those GREAT players and only 2 NCs to show for it?

cantwait48
12/8/2010, 04:07 PM
I think most people do consider Stoops among the best. Is he THE best, maybe not but he would have to be considered one of the best by anyone who is not a moron.

Taxman71
12/8/2010, 04:09 PM
I think it is because national writers/talking heads get their information from OU message boards.

Soonerwake
12/8/2010, 04:10 PM
I love it.. Gottlieb can throw himself into a bag of dicks and is a giant volcanic *********, and is right...

Wow, what would he be if he said that Stoops is a choker?? :D

btb916
12/8/2010, 04:16 PM
Stoops is the best coach ever. :D He has one less national title than coaches who many would argue to be the best currently; he has dominated his conference; he has been to the national title game 4 times in 12 years, two times playing against teams on their home turf, he's produced multiple Heisman winners, AD, all sorts of NFL quality linemen...

Anyone that says Urban Meyer is a better coach is blind; sure, he has 2 national titles. Good for him. But he's also retired twice now and has been running a program with many players arrested.

So that leaves...Petey Carroll, who sacrificed his school for glory; Les Miles, who is a bloody fool that does not know how to manage a game come late in the 4th; Saban, who is very good; Tressel, who is also very good; and who else? I would say then that Stoops is in the top 3 currently, because seriously, I can live with the drubbing that Petey gave us in the national title game knowing we still have a bunch of good years ahead of us because our Coach has integrity.

budbarrybob
12/8/2010, 04:19 PM
Doug Gottleib can eat a bag of dicks and throw himself into a volcano.

Baked or Fried? :D

pphilfran
12/8/2010, 04:19 PM
I think it is much harder to run the table in the NCAA tourney...

Soonerwake
12/8/2010, 04:22 PM
[QUOTE=btb916;3075489] Les Miles, who is a bloody fool that does not know how to manage a game come late in the 4th[QUOTE]

I agree, but he has balls as big as church bells... He has called some pretty good fakes, reverses on 4th down, etc...

Okie35
12/8/2010, 04:22 PM
He does have a point but at the same time in basketball its a tournament and ppl get praises if they make it to the elite 8, final four, etc. Even making it to the sweet 16 is tough. If none of those had labels on them then it would be easy to say Izzo is a choker but he's not because he gets his team far in the tournament most of the time.

RacerX
12/8/2010, 04:24 PM

He would miss. Somebody else should throw him.

Caboose
12/8/2010, 04:25 PM
He does have a point but at the same time in basketball its a tournament and ppl get praises if they make it to the elite 8, final four, etc. Even making it to the sweet 16 is tough. If none of those had labels on them then it would be easy to say Izzo is a choker but he's not because he gets his team far in the tournament most of the time.

Bob Stoops gets his team far into the "tournament" most of the time too... NC Games/BCS Bowls.

It is hard to win an NC in college football. You typically have to be undefeated or at most 1 loss and THEN beat the #1 or #2 team in the country. How it could be considered choking to make it to the NC game 4 times in a 9 year span is baffling.

btb916
12/8/2010, 04:25 PM
[QUOTE=btb916;3075489] Les Miles, who is a bloody fool that does not know how to manage a game come late in the 4th[QUOTE]

I agree, but he has balls as big as church bells... He has called some pretty good fakes, reverses on 4th down, etc...

Yeah. Obviously he's a good coach, I can just image being really frustrated with the way he has bungled things the past two years in the 4th.

85sooners
12/8/2010, 04:55 PM
Phuck miles

Mad Dog Madsen
12/8/2010, 04:58 PM
Baked or Fried? :D

Rare... He can eat them rare.

Lawton4Life
12/8/2010, 05:04 PM
In Basketball circles making the Final Four is looked on with much reverance.

OklahomaTuba
12/8/2010, 05:05 PM
I think this was his mug shot
http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/muuugshot2b.jpg

Howzit
12/8/2010, 05:07 PM
I think this was his mug shot
http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/muuugshot2b.jpg

right after he picked a 10 pound booger.

toast
12/8/2010, 05:09 PM
I have a difficult time with "great point" and "Gottlieb" being in the same sentence.

jkjsooner
12/8/2010, 05:10 PM
Bob Stoops gets his team far into the "tournament" most of the time too... NC Games/BCS Bowls.

It is hard to win an NC in college football. You typically have to be undefeated or at most 1 loss and THEN beat the #1 or #2 team in the country. How it could be considered choking to make it to the NC game 4 times in a 9 year span is baffling.

I think there is a difference in how these are perceived. If OU wins big games within the Big 12 but loses BCS games (especially to WVU or BSU) then that leads others to believe one of two things:

1. We play a lot worse in BCS games than we do at the end of the season.
2. The Big 12 just isn't as good as we thought.

Neither of these really supports Stoops's reputation.

If you get to the Final Four in basketball, you have to beat teams from around the country in a do or die situation. These will be different teams each year. You can have an easy trip one year but not consistently year after year. It can be considered less impressive if you beat the same teams every year then lose to whatever team you play in the bowl.

Also, this kinda sounds like Mack Brown talk - "It's only a big game if you lose it." Stoops needs to regain his bowl swagger and win a couple of BCS games...

boomersooner28
12/8/2010, 05:57 PM
Gottlieb needs to shut his c o ck holster.

The end.

Sooners78
12/8/2010, 06:08 PM
I wonder if his boyfriend Cowturd will agree with him. Usually, Colin hates everything about OU.

TopDawg
12/8/2010, 06:10 PM
He would miss. Somebody else should throw him.

I sure hope RacerX has gotten a lot of spek for this post, because nobody has acknowledged its excellence in the thread.

Brilliant!

Ground_Attack
12/8/2010, 06:17 PM
I sure hope RacerX has gotten a lot of spek for this post, because nobody has acknowledged its excellence in the thread.

Brilliant!

I chuckled when I read. Very nice.

allanace16
12/8/2010, 06:23 PM
Man, it's a lot of hate in here. I mean Gottlieb's a *********, but even a blind pig can find a truffle from time to time......

spatton713
12/8/2010, 06:27 PM
well he can eat a bowl of dicks I agree but there are 120 fbs teams and theres like 350 d1 basketball teams lol and they play alot more games...just saying....but my money is on stoops

aero
12/8/2010, 06:29 PM
Excellence carries with it many things shiny but also the inevitable slings and arrows of jealousy and hatred. Bob Stoops is, by any standard, one of the finest coaches currently in the business and a case could be made THE best. Greatness in any sport seems to be measured by championships and he has done that. Conference championships is where it starts and his record can be compared by few. He's won an NC and taken his teams to more than any others. While the losses in BCS games have not gone his way, EVERY other coach or team in the country would love to have been there that many times, win or lose. The fact is, there is little to criticize Stoops or OU for, so those that have not had the type of success we have had are compelled to find fault where they can. It's terribly weak and only emphasizes their lack of class that comes from being a champion.

Sooner95
12/8/2010, 07:41 PM
Sorry, didn't get past posts #2 and #3...laughing to hard..LOL

jkjsooner
12/8/2010, 08:10 PM
Speaking of Gottlieb, he had the worst jump shot of any D1 player I've ever seen. He couldn't hit the ocean with a beach ball. He made Bobby Hurley look like a pure shooter. Seriously, your average 9th grader shoots better than him.

That being said, the guy sure was flashy with the ball.

Sooner_Bob
12/8/2010, 08:23 PM
People put way too much emphasis on bowl games. To say that losing a bowl game diminishes winning the Big 12 (or any conference) is crazy.

Okie35
12/8/2010, 08:25 PM

There's no tournament in football, no matter how you spin it. Yes its hard to go undefeated in football or win an NC. The fact ppl think he chokes is a compliment in my eyes. Some coaches can't even get to that level to be considered a choker. Most of the other coaches are failures.

Sooner_Bob
12/8/2010, 08:36 PM
With the BCS the whole season is a tourney . . . probably a double elimination tourney.

Okie35
12/8/2010, 08:41 PM
With the BCS the whole season is a tourney . . . probably a double elimination tourney.

Lets just say every game counts.

OUEngr1990
12/8/2010, 08:48 PM
It's the "pretty girl" syndrome. When the prettiest girl in school gives a BJ, she is automatically considered a slut. When some average girl does it, she is considered average...

bluedogok
12/8/2010, 10:09 PM
Did he call into his show today? Because Gottlieb hasn't been doing the show all week, it's a guy named Jason Smith who usually does the overnight stuff.

SouthFortySooner
12/8/2010, 10:52 PM
I am 52 y/o and have NEVAR watched a basketball game from start to finish, so the analogy is lost on me. Basketball?

Sooners78
12/9/2010, 09:05 AM
Speaking of Gottlieb, he had the worst jump shot of any D1 player I've ever seen. He couldn't hit the ocean with a beach ball. He made Bobby Hurley look like a pure shooter. Seriously, your average 9th grader shoots better than him.

That being said, the guy sure was flashy with the ball.

When we played them and OSU had the ball, it was like 5 on 4 in our favor. Nobody was within 6 feet of Doug because they knew he couldn't and wouldn't shoot. He made up for it somewhat with his passing ability, but it was still a big disadvantage for the pokes when he was on the floor.

CobraKai
12/9/2010, 09:26 AM
When we played them and OSU had the ball, it was like 5 on 4 in our favor. Nobody was within 6 feet of Doug because they knew he couldn't and wouldn't shoot. He made up for it somewhat with his passing ability, but it was still a big disadvantage for the pokes when he was on the floor.

Noone was within 6 feet because they didn't want their credit card stolen.

Sooners78
12/9/2010, 10:10 AM
Man, it's a lot of hate in here. I mean Gottlieb's a *********, but even a blind pig can find a truffle from time to time......

Reason #37 I'm glad I made the move to this board. The last board where I posted, about half the posters defended that lOSUr.

I lost a ton of respect for him and Traber during their post game criticism of Hybl after he had just led us to the 2002 Big 12 championship. For some reason, the fact that Q Griffin had a great game that night translated into Hybl having very little to do with the win in their eyes. I mean, who goes out of their way to say that about a QB who has just won a title? :confused: That was especially troubling coming from Traber who actually played QB at OSU, and should understand that as a QB, it's not about stats, it's about directing the offense and taking what the defense gives you. However, if you ever saw Big Jim in action, you could see that he wasn't much of a QB.

One good thing about that post game show, Al really called them out when he brought Nate over to the podium. That was classic. Traber and Doug were both sitting there speechless looking like they had just been caught stealing. What a couple of yardbirds!

MeMyself&Me
12/9/2010, 10:26 AM
Reason #37 I'm glad I made the move to this board. The last board where I posted, about half the posters defended that lOSUr.

I lost a ton of respect for him and Traber during their post game criticism of Hybl after he had just led us to the 2002 Big 12 championship. For some reason, the fact that Q Griffin had a great game that night translated into Hybl having very little to do with the win in their eyes. I mean, who goes out of their way to say that about a QB who has just won a title? :confused: That was especially troubling coming from Traber who actually played QB at OSU, and should understand that as a QB, it's not about stats, it's about directing the offense and taking what the defense gives you. However, if you ever saw Big Jim in action, you could see that he wasn't much of a QB.

One good thing about that post game show, Al really called them out when he brought Nate over to the podium. That was classic. Traber and Doug were both sitting there speechless looking like they had just been caught stealing. What a couple of yardbirds!

I heard about that incident. Anyone got a youtube link of it or something? Would love to see it.

SpankyNek
12/9/2010, 11:30 AM
What is most intriguing, IMO, is that if we had beaten LSU and Florida (I know...ifs and buts, but had our chances in both), Stoops would probably be considered one of the best of ALL TIME.

Imagine if he was going for #4 next year.

Bourbon St Sooner
12/9/2010, 11:58 AM

If he knew how to develop a qb, he wouldn't have to spend half of his practices on fake kicks.

I Am Right
12/9/2010, 12:05 PM
Why is it that Izzo is considered one of the top, if not the top coach in CBB with his 6 Final Fours in 12 years but only 1 title while Stoops with his 8 BCS games, 7 Conf Titles, 4 Natl title appearances, and 1 National title in 12 years is considered a big game choker?

Doug Dontgotgame never has a point, unless it is about Your Credit Card

Collier11
12/9/2010, 12:09 PM
See I dont get that. Other than the fact that he is a poke, I think Gottlieb is pretty good at his job, and he is obviously very knowledgeable about sports.

fwsooner22
12/9/2010, 03:09 PM
"""Clank""""

CowboyMRW
12/9/2010, 04:03 PM
Why all the Gottlieb bashing. Sounds to me like he was trying to give Stoops praise.

Also the guy is the all-time Big 12 leader for assists and only played 3 years. I just don't get the hate.

Danielyork
12/9/2010, 04:07 PM

Credit Card Thief?

stoops the eternal pimp
12/9/2010, 04:10 PM
MRW, I try to be as balanced as I can be on all things football related...and I don't care for Gottlieb either..Nothing to do with being a cowboy, I don't care to listen to the guy..I think he knows his basketball, but not much football

CowboyMRW
12/9/2010, 04:28 PM
MRW, I try to be as balanced as I can be on all things football related...and I don't care for Gottlieb either..Nothing to do with being a cowboy, I don't care to listen to the guy..I think he knows his basketball, but not much football

Fair enough. I don't really listen to him that often. Just wondered about the bashing since the quote seems like he was trying to praise Stoops. I think he's pretty unbiased though and seems to do a good job the times I've heard him though.

Collier11
12/9/2010, 04:34 PM
I think on the radio he does a great job, and calling games. Not sure why he gets bashed...was unaware that missing free throws or something you did as a High Schooler had anything to do with your ability to be a good commentator or radio host?

SoonerNutt
12/9/2010, 05:38 PM

That's what everybody says, but yet someone still wins the championship every year. Must not be that hard.

Taxman71
12/9/2010, 05:39 PM
akKjLWG0KG4&feature

the_ouskull
12/9/2010, 06:03 PM

That's ridiculous. At least one team does it every year. :D

the_ouskull

mdklatt
12/9/2010, 07:43 PM
In Basketball circles making the Final Four is looked on with much reverance.

Yeah, there really isn't an equivalent of the Final Four in college football where only two teams have a shot at an MNC in the end. In reality, winning a BCS bowl is not much different than making it to the Final Four in terms of accomplishment.