PDA

View Full Version : Death of a Program

Sooner04
12/8/2010, 04:00 PM
OU Basketball died last month. A few of you noticed and probably mourned. Others heard the news and it brought them pause, like thinking of somebody for the first time in a long while and wondering what ever happened to them.

But, make no mistake, OU Basketball is dead.

It had glimpses of greatness and periods of darkness. It had moments of joy and doses of heartache.

OU Basketball was never better than from 1982 through 2009. In those 28 seasons OU Basketball established itself as a great program; a program to truly be proud of and whose accomplishments shouldn't be taken lightly.

In those 28 seasons, OU Basketball posted these numbers:

2: Final Fours
5: Elite Eights
8: Sweet Sixteens
22: NCAA Tournament Appearances
5: Conference Championships
6: Conference Tournament Championships
5: 30-win seasons
19: 20-win seasons
25: consecutive seasons with a postseason appearance (longest in USA when it ended)

In those 28 seasons, OU Basketball produced the greatest player in the history of the Big 8 Conference (Wayman Tisdale) and the only #1 pick in the history of the Big 12 Conference (Blake Griffin).

Presiding over the funeral will be the head coach, Jeff Capel. Under Capel, OU Basketball has reached lofty heights (first top-2 ranking since 1990) and depressing lows (first losing season since 1981). The 2011 season will, more than likely, be OU's second consecutive losing season...a depth that hasn't been achieved by the program since 1967.

Since Capel took over, OU Basketball has posted the following:

1: Losing season
2: Losing conference slates
10: Players who left before their junior years or earlier.
35: Double-digit losses
9: Game losing streak to end 2010, the longest since a 10-game streak in 1964.

Assisting with the casket will be the OU Athletic Department who, in light of last season's despicable closure, voted to not change the donation levels for lower level seats. It still requires a donation of $250 per seat to sit behind the goals and $500 per seat to sit along the sidelines even though most believe the 2011 OU Basketball team will finish either 11th or 12th in the final season of Big 12 Basketball.

Also on hand will be members of the front office of the Oklahoma City Thunder, whose team has feasted on former Sooner fans who once sat on the fence of OU Basketball fandom. With the success of the Thunder, more and more Sooner fans choose to spend their money in downtown Oklahoma City rather than inside the confines of the Lloyd Noble Center.

Also in attendance will be Sherri Coale, whose grass roots approach to marketing her basketball team has further ciphoned fans from the OU Basketball men. She has proven again and again that success can be attained by running a generally drama-free program stocked with solid, upstanding citizens who can connect with the "down-home" virtues of those fans who love their basketball in this great state.

It has been an exhilarating ride. But all good things must come to an end. In lieu of flowers those who love OU Basketball ask that you sit back and think of what once was, and what will probably never be again.

Think of Alvan.
Think of Wayman.
Think of cutting down the nets in Allen Fieldhouse.
Think of T-Mac, Choo and DJ.
Think of Harvey, Mookie, Dave, Stacey and Ricky.
Think of the Skeeter Meter.
Think of Ski.
Think of Billy.
Think of The Creator and The Helicopter.
Think of Kelvin.
Think of Minor and Ontjes.
Think of Abercrombie from the corner.
Think of Eduardo.
Think of Hollis and Quannas and Ebi and Aaron and Jabahri.
Think of Bookout and Taj and Terrell.
Think of AJ and Crocker.
Think of Blake.

Those who love OU Basketball, they thank you for your kind thoughts.

And they ask that the last one to leave please turn out the lights.

badger
12/8/2010, 04:14 PM
Also in attendance will be Sherri Coale, whose grass roots approach to marketing her basketball team has further ciphoned fans from the OU Basketball men. She has proven again and again that success can be attained by running a generally drama-free program stocked with solid, upstanding citizens who can connect with the "down-home" virtues of those fans who love their basketball in this great state.

Welcome back 04... I know this is a Sherri compliment, but I would have to dispute your assertion that OU fans are switching allegiance to the women's team.

NormanPride
12/8/2010, 04:16 PM
:(

We have the worst record of any BCS conference team.

Boomer.....
12/8/2010, 04:18 PM
Bring back Kevin Simpson.

:O

sooner59
12/8/2010, 04:19 PM
Until there is a turnaround....

http://davidzinger.files.wordpress.com/2006/12/light-switch.jpg

...sooner
12/8/2010, 04:20 PM
gayyyy :mad:

soonervegas
12/8/2010, 04:25 PM
I am with ya Sooner 04.....and welcome back.

I was at the Big 12 championship game this weekend and when they showed Capel's mug on the jumbotron I got pissed internally just thinking about it. Unfortunately, he represents all that is wrong with OU basketball to me right now.

I don't totally blame him...I think there are many people to blame, looking at you Joe C., but for now I will be relying on OU football and Thunder basketball to tide me over till later in the decade when we get a chance at a fresh start.

Eielson
12/8/2010, 05:11 PM
This is overly dramatic.

Sooner24
12/8/2010, 06:52 PM
OU Basketball died last month. A few of you noticed and probably mourned. Others heard the news and it brought them pause, like thinking of somebody for the first time in a long while and wondering what ever happened to them.

It had glimpses of greatness and periods of darkness. It had moments of joy and doses of heartache.

OU Basketball was never better than from 1982 through 2009. In those 28 seasons OU Basketball established itself as a great program; a program to truly be proud of and whose accomplishments shouldn't be taken lightly.

3: Elite Eights
3: Sweet Sixteens
25: consecutive seasons with a postseason appearance (longest in USA when it ended)

In those 28 seasons, OU Basketball produced the greatest player in the history of the Big 8 Conference (Wayman Tisdale) and the only #1 pick in the history of the Big 12 Conference (Blake Griffin).

Presiding over the funeral will be the head coach, Jeff Capel. Under Capel, OU Basketball has reached lofty heights (first top-2 ranking since 1990) and depressing lows (first losing season since 1981). The 2011 season will, more than likely, be OU's second consecutive losing season...a depth that hasn't been achieved by the program since 1967.

Assisting with the casket will be the OU Athletic Department who, in light of last season's despicable closure, voted to not change the donation levels for lower level seats. It still requires a donation of $250 per seat to sit behind the goals and $500 per seat to sit along the sidelines even though most believe the 2011 OU Basketball team will finish either 11th or 12th in the final season of Big 12 Basketball.

Also on hand will be members of the front office of the Oklahoma City Thunder, whose team has feasted on former Sooner fans who once sat on the fence of OU Basketball fandom. With the success of the Thunder, more and more Sooner fans choose to spend their money in downtown Oklahoma City rather than inside the confines of the Lloyd Noble Center.

It has been an exhilarating ride. But all good things must come to an end. In lieu of flowers those who love OU Basketball ask that you sit back and think of what once was, and what will probably never be again.

Think of Alvan.
Think of Wayman.
Think of Ski.
Think of Billy.
Think of Kelvin.
Think of Eduardo.
Think of AJ and Crocker.
Think of Blake.

You forgot Big Time Jones. :(

oumartin
12/8/2010, 06:57 PM

Think of Alvan.
Think of Wayman.
Think of Ski.
Think of Billy.
Think of Kelvin.
Think of Eduardo.
Think of AJ and Crocker.
Think of Blake.

then go root for someone else dipwad

Sooner_Bob
12/8/2010, 08:33 PM
Have things gotten that bad?

birddog
12/8/2010, 08:34 PM
it's the most irrelevant OU team i've ever seen.

kc sooner
12/8/2010, 08:53 PM
I loved the Skeeter Meter!! And I know he's not the greatest Sooner ever, but Hollis is by far my favorite Sooner bball player ever!!!

royalfan5
12/8/2010, 08:54 PM
I'd punch my cousin in the face if NU would win just one NCAA game.

StoopTroup
12/8/2010, 09:13 PM
Now that 04 has given up....the rest of us can finally begin to enjoy this forum again.

I thought he'd never leave. I guess he finally fell off the bandwagon.

It's quite shocking IMO.

:D

Soonerfan88
12/8/2010, 09:43 PM
I will admit they should have beaten Chaminade, but that is the loss I wasn't expecting at this point in the schedule. This team is young but has a lot of heart and is showing signs of improvement. I just don't understand how someone supposedly such a supporter of OU basketball could completely dismiss them not even a third of the way into the season. If you are this fickle, maybe the team is better off without you on their side.

Sooner24
12/8/2010, 10:02 PM
Since 04 attends every home game, no matter how the team is playing, I will take his fandom over people who just give the program lip service.

badger
12/8/2010, 10:08 PM
04 and I have not always seen eye to eye ("My kingdom for a women's basketball forum," repeat 20 times) but I don't question his fandom. I wouldn't expect a true OU fan to cheer when their beloved program is losing.

Soonerfan88
12/8/2010, 10:21 PM
I don't see anyone cheering a loss. I also don't expect a true OU fan to completely dismiss the team because of a couple of tough years either. Being disappointed is one thing, but declaring the entire program dead is completely different. It wasn't even an off the cuff frustration comment in a game thread, but an entire eulogy that took time and effort. From this ending "And they ask that the last one to leave please turn out the lights" I'm left to assume 04 is no longer attending games.

soonerbub
12/8/2010, 10:46 PM
:(

The overriding factor has become apparent: Capel is simply in over his head. From a corrupt assistant to players that did not respect him whatsoever we have come to this. If (if?!) attendance averages around 2,500 the rest of the year Joe C has no choice--pride goeth before the fall.

Now beat the hell outta Gardner-Webb!! We've still got ballgames to play--the ink on the final chapter isn't dry just yet
BOOMER

Soonerus
12/8/2010, 10:51 PM
In agreement with 04, death is occurring...

StoopTroup
12/8/2010, 11:10 PM
Rip 04

LiveLaughLove
12/8/2010, 11:13 PM
Agree with '04 also. The loss of fans means the loss of recruits. Which means even worse things ahead.

Joe C. had best pull some magic out of his hat. It's starting to appear dried up.

GottaHavePride
12/8/2010, 11:16 PM
If any of you people are thinking 04 is "fickle" or "not a real fan" keep one thing in mind.

He's a freakin' Padres fan. Yes. The Padres.

The dude is NOT one to dismiss a losing team lightly.

oumartin
12/8/2010, 11:25 PM
well I hope 04 pulls for the cowboys from now on.

AlboSooner
12/8/2010, 11:59 PM
quien esta muerto?

sperry
12/9/2010, 01:46 AM
Stupid thread.

Yeah, it's a low point in the program. It's basketball though, and you're never more than a couple good players away from being a really strong team. Hell, two seasons from now, just with the guys that are on the roster now, this team will be able to make the tourney as a low seed. Veteran leadership is incredibly important, but this team only has one guy who has been in the program more than a season. No team is going to be good under those circumstances, unless it's loaded full of lottery picks like Kentucky. The key is retaining the players that you get. If Capel, or whoever replaces him, can keeep Fitz, Pledger, Clark, Newell, Taylor, etc. in the program for 4 years, when those guys are upperclassmen, you're going to have a solid team.

badger
12/9/2010, 10:02 AM
quien esta muerto?

vaya con dios

Bourbon St Sooner
12/9/2010, 10:49 AM
04, always the drama queen.

Harry Beanbag
12/9/2010, 10:57 AM
I actually agree with 04. Of course I have to temper that with my belief that college basketball itself died about 15 years ago. Ho hum.

soonervegas
12/9/2010, 11:24 AM
I actually agree with 04. Of course I have to temper that with my belief that college basketball itself died about 15 years ago. Ho hum.

True. We have a coach at one of the premiere college basketball programs that has had two, TWO final fours stripped at other schools. College basketball has become a filty, filthy business and the NCAA really doesn't seem to care.

That's not even including the debacle that it the one and done rule....

NormanPride
12/9/2010, 11:27 AM
Men's basketball is a glorified D league, yes. But OU plays in that glorified D league, and I enjoy watching them play.

Sadly, they are not very good.

badger
12/9/2010, 11:32 AM
:O so... game tonight?

...sooner
12/9/2010, 11:34 AM
:O so... game tonight?

Ill be there!!! i spoke to carl blair last night. i asked him he was ready for tonight & he said "yea we gotta bounce back" go support your sooners!!! wooo!!

NormanPride
12/9/2010, 12:26 PM
I am actually pretty excited about watching. I just want to watch OU play basketball.

Y'know, we don't get to do that all the time. :)

StoopTroup
12/9/2010, 12:34 PM
If any of you people are thinking 04 is "fickle" or "not a real fan" keep one thing in mind.

He's a freakin' Padres fan. Yes. The Padres.

The dude is NOT one to dismiss a losing team lightly.

Rip Padres. lol

OULenexaman
12/9/2010, 12:54 PM
I'm with 04 on this one.....I do not see us winning more than 1 or 2 conference games tops this year. It is falling back to the very dark ages.

StoopTroup
12/9/2010, 01:27 PM
You know your Team sucks when they make Cuff Links.....

http://product.images.fansedge.com/35-88/35-88070-F.jpg

waynepayne
12/9/2010, 01:54 PM
This is overly dramatic.

as chicken littles are prone to be...

GDC
12/9/2010, 02:55 PM
Since 04 attends every home game, no matter how the team is playing, I will take his fandom over people who just give the program lip service.

Attending games doesn't make you any more a fan than being a graduate does. You can love the university and its teams and not live in close proximity.

And I didn't need 04's blessing to start calling for Capel's head a long time ago.

GDC
12/9/2010, 02:56 PM
as chicken littles are prone to be...

Hey sunshine, what color is the sky in the fantasy world you live in? You know, the one where Capel hasn't completely ruined OU basketball?

Harry Beanbag
12/9/2010, 03:05 PM
You know your Team sucks when they make Cuff Links.....

http://product.images.fansedge.com/35-88/35-88070-F.jpg

Yep. :D

http://s10.thisnext.com/media/largest_dimension/9F59447C.jpg

badger
12/9/2010, 03:09 PM
And I didn't need 04's blessing to start calling for Capel's head a long time ago.

No, you needed mine - and I haven't granted it yet, so keep yer mouth shut ;)

EDIT: Cuff-links turn upside down so easily...

http://i52.tinypic.com/2igf6zl.png

GDC
12/9/2010, 03:13 PM
No, you needed mine - and I haven't granted it yet, so keep yer mouth shut ;)

Yes'm, duly noted:D

Crimsontothecore
12/9/2010, 03:32 PM
"The rumors of this programs demise have been greatly exaggerated"

A low point? yes, but falling into a pit of obscurity that can never be scaled is nonsense. And a low point this year and next in no way guarantees 10 years of being a cellar dweller. Like an earlier poster said, a basketball team can be quickly built around a couple of good players and they don't have to be McDonalds all Americans either. Do I have a confidence in Capel? no, but if Joe C. sees fit to keep him around then that's good enough for me. I trust Castiglione's judgment and we also know that Capel wasn't his first choice after the Sampson thing. I'm sure if he felt he could get a better coach for the job he would have done so.

the_ouskull
12/9/2010, 06:00 PM
Being disappointed is one thing, but declaring the entire program dead is completely different.

If being disappointed is one thing, then being disillusioned is another. All of you that wanted rid of Kelvin... congrats, you got it. I'd say it to your faces, but I haven't seen much of the "Calvin Simpson sucks and Capel is a 100x better coach," crowd in here the past couple of seasons...

...and no, this isn't about Kelvin, although I would like to see some of the ol' Kelvin bashers sh*t out a few crow feathers. This is about Capel and the fact that, with Blake, people were ready to proclaim him the second coming of John Wooden, and now, they're ready to.. to... well, we don't know what they're ready to do, 'cause they're either not still around, or they've turned on Capel.

Regardless, we have an under-sized, inexperienced team that is only marginally-talented when it comes to the experienced players. We have no identity, and players don't have well-defined roles. (Who is our "scorer," etc..?) And no, you can't coach size, but you can sure as H*ll recruit it. Then again, maybe he can't. Maybe the next guy will.

the_ouskull

badger
12/9/2010, 06:05 PM
Please don't make me eat crow, but KS was an admitted rules-breaker and I wanted him gone for it. It wasn;t KS' players or their mothers breaking the rules, it was KS personally.

Joe C. originally said it, but I'll repeat it - I want us to win, but I want us to win the right way. It's embarrassing to go through NCAA investigations, get put on probation, etc. etc.

The KS we hired - the one who duct taped a former team bus door shut because his old program didn't have a better way to transport his team, the one who printed INTENSITY on players' butts, the one who recruited hard workers like Hollis - lost his way... and he left OU because of it. :(

soonerbub
12/9/2010, 06:27 PM
Got plans tonight can't watch

OU 82
GW 68

BOOMER

LiveLaughLove
12/9/2010, 06:29 PM
I used to laugh at the threads saying Capel was so much greater than Sampson also. I never bought in to Capel. After watching a few games, I couldn't tell where he was taking the team beyond "get the ball to Blake".

With Tubbs and Sampson, like their style or not, you knew what it was from day one. You could see where they wanted to go with OU.

Worse, after those first couple of games, the same players (granted which weren't many) that dove for loose balls under Sampson, just stood around and would lose ball control. There was no hustle.

Sampson made up for lack of talent with a demand for his players to hustle and out play their opponent. Enough about him though.

We need a coach that can take marginal talent and make it above average during it's stay at OU. Rebuild a winning program, THEN go after the better talent (with good character).

After '88, I thought that was our best chance for an NC in bball. When we lost, I feared we wouldn't be back any time soon. Unfortunately, it's been correct so far, and clearly will be now deep in to the future.

Very sad for me, I love OU basketball and would cherish a NC in it more than another one in football (although I want one in both!).

I'm on the downhill slide of life, I sure would love to see one in my lifetime. I don't have the patience to take much more of Capel and what's become of our program.

waynepayne
12/9/2010, 06:37 PM
Hey sunshine, what color is the sky in the fantasy world you live in? You know, the one where Capel hasn't completely ruined OU basketball?

You have some serious issues when you spek someone on a "ESPN Sues *" thread to say this Admit it, Capel sucks and is a dead man walking.

Go get a life and another team since you cant support this one worth a fitb.

Eielson
12/9/2010, 08:31 PM

Just because the sky changes colors doesn't mean it's falling.

the_ouskull
12/10/2010, 12:10 AM
Just because you're a fan doesn't mean that it isn't, too.

Soonerus
12/10/2010, 12:19 AM
OU just needs to win, and I would go again...why would I go to see a poor team ???

Vegas Sooner
12/10/2010, 12:32 AM
It is very sad. I want Jay Wright.

Bourbon St Sooner
12/10/2010, 10:10 AM

When you were here before you were kind of a funny grumpy guy. Now you're just annoying.

GDC
12/10/2010, 10:44 AM
When you were here before you were kind of a funny grumpy guy. Now you're just annoying.

Jeff Capel and Joe Castiglione are the ones you should be annoyed with.

If you can't deal with reality then put me on ignore and shut up.

King Crimson
12/10/2010, 10:46 AM
i knew we'd be terrible this year. really bad, terrible.

still think we have a chance to get back. can't have 3 **** seasons in a row. next year needs to be a .500 in conference type season at minimum.

i like Jeff, but i question his judgment with some of his recruits thus far. way too much attrition. and not only that under dubious payola type rumors.

setem
12/10/2010, 11:12 AM
If we are paying any of these players something is wrong!

I don't think any coach could have won with last year's group. When you have 2 guys(TMG and Tiny) who go against the program in almost every way possible and a 3rd(Warren) who is just biding his time, there is not much you can do. There has to be talent to compete but when your talent does not want to work and give you **** you cant win and you end up with the kinds of kids we have this year. We are not gonna get MAA's every year but when you have to give your recruits mental evaluations before you can even consider signing them THERE IS A PROBLEM!

I feel for Capel and I didn't envy him at all last year, those kids were about as ****ty as they come. I think if he can get these guys above .500 we should give him another recruiting class and then see what happens.

I am gonna tell you right now. When he leaves I would never schedule against him because if he gets in a basketball school, he will dominate!

Gallon doesn't deserve to be paid in gum, much less casholla!

NormanPride
12/10/2010, 11:21 AM
I call BS on the fact that nobody could have won with last year's team. Tiny wasn't great, but he was 100x better than anything we've got now, and Willie was trying, but he wasn't a leader.

Neither is Jeff.

baj and I got into this discussion last night watching the game... I made a parallel about how Sherri handles the women's team. Alexann was a team cancer, so she kicked her off. Her starting point guard a few years back (Jenna) was a cancer, so she kicked her off. It's not that hard, you just have to have the guts to do it. Jeff doesn't, and all the players know it now. If he had just kicked TMG off when it was obvious to everyone that all he was doing was destroying team chemistry, then we could have salvaged that season.

yankee
12/10/2010, 11:46 AM
Tiny wasn't great, but he was 100x better than anything we've got now, and Willie was trying, but he wasn't a leader.

2010 Fitz >>>>>>>>>>> 2009 Tiny

...sooner
12/10/2010, 11:51 AM
I call BS on the fact that nobody could have won with last year's team. Tiny wasn't great, but he was 100x better than anything we've got now, and Willie was trying, but he wasn't a leader.

Neither is Jeff.

baj and I got into this discussion last night watching the game... I made a parallel about how Sherri handles the women's team. Alexann was a team cancer, so she kicked her off. Her starting point guard a few years back (Jenna) was a cancer, so she kicked her off. It's not that hard, you just have to have the guts to do it. Jeff doesn't, and all the players know it now. If he had just kicked TMG off when it was obvious to everyone that all he was doing was destroying team chemistry, then we could have salvaged that season.

--you dont think capel would have kicked him off this year if he had stayed? i had predicted he would, but i guess we will never know. willie only tried when it was convenient for him i feel like.. always had a pouty look on his face & kind of a cry baby. tiny can go screw himself lazy waste of talent.

also.. didnt capel kick off patillo & cannon?

...sooner
12/10/2010, 11:52 AM
2010 Fitz >>>>>>>>>>> 2009 Tiny

+100000000

NormanPride
12/10/2010, 12:00 PM
We'll see. He's small and has terrible hands. He's looked good against the sisters of the poor, but couldn't do anything against powerhouse Virginia.

...sooner
12/10/2010, 12:18 PM
We'll see. He's small and has terrible hands. He's looked good against the sisters of the poor, but couldn't do anything against powerhouse Virginia.

i say fitz over tiny just because i dislike tiny. a lot. not just as a basketball player but as a person. yes i knew the guy & he just had this attitude about him & it was really annoying. like he just deserved a red carpet laid out for him.

badger
12/10/2010, 12:29 PM
Two more wins and we have more wins that Mack Brown this season :D

PS: I just did a stat thing on the womens blog for three shooting, but did you see that Cade's at 43 percent and Nick is at 46.7 percent for the season so far behind the arch? Nothing to sneeze at :)

Crimsontothecore
12/10/2010, 12:29 PM
If we are paying any of these players something is wrong!

I don't think any coach could have won with last year's group. When you have 2 guys(TMG and Tiny) who go against the program in almost every way possible and a 3rd(Warren) who is just biding his time, there is not much you can do. There has to be talent to compete but when your talent does not want to work and give you **** you cant win and you end up with the kinds of kids we have this year. We are not gonna get MAA's every year but when you have to give your recruits mental evaluations before you can even consider signing them THERE IS A PROBLEM!

I feel for Capel and I didn't envy him at all last year, those kids were about as ****ty as they come. I think if he can get these guys above .500 we should give him another recruiting class and then see what happens.

I am gonna tell you right now. When he leaves I would never schedule against him because if he gets in a basketball school, he will dominate!

Gallon doesn't deserve to be paid in gum, much less casholla!

Last time I checked, evaluating personality and attitude is as much a part of recruiting as finding talent. I am amazed at how people continue to allow Capel to escape responsibility for having not one,or two, but THREE bad seeds on one team. Heck, Capel doesn't even appear to be a good x's and o's coach either so I have no idea why you think he would "dominate" at a Bball school. It certainly wouldn't be because he would run this out-of-sync, unorganized contraption that's supposed to be an offense. If you mean he would do great with a team filled with top talent then whatever. So would a lot of high school coaches who aren't making the millions Capel is.

NormanPride
12/10/2010, 12:55 PM
i say fitz over tiny just because i dislike tiny. a lot. not just as a basketball player but as a person. yes i knew the guy & he just had this attitude about him & it was really annoying. like he just deserved a red carpet laid out for him.

I'll take your word for it on the 'tude, and I don't doubt it at all. I like Fitz a lot better as well! I just think Tiny was the better ball player.

OUSKINS
12/10/2010, 01:56 PM
I will go ahead and weigh on on 04's original thoughts. First of all, anyone questioning his fanhood is ridiculous. He is quite possibly the biggest OU hoops fan alive, and certainly one of the most knowledgeable. His post game threads over the years were things of beauty.

Having said that, I do find the premise of the thread a bit dramatic and I'm not sure why "death" seems to be the conclusion? "Death" to the Capel era? Maybe, sure. But the program? I think that's going a bit far.

Our bball fans suck. They always have; it's just reality. The fans support sucks when we are good and it sucks worse when we are bad. The Tubbs years are viewed through rose colored glasses when it comes to how the team was supported; in the Wayman tribute videos, the upper deck at the LNC is virtually empty, and it's not like tickets were hard to find when Blake was here either.

When the team is terrible like this year, no one will go. When they are good, the stands will fill up more, but still not be as good as it is at other schools. I really don't think the Thunder, the womens team, or any other factors really matter. Its an apathetic fanbase overall, period.

I am on record as supporting Joe C and his decision to keep Capel. Right now, I look stupid and so does Joe C. My faith is dwindling. I give Cape through next year to make strides, but I become less confident in that by the day.

But even if we stink again next year and Capel gets the boot, the right replacement could easily get us back into relevance. One good recruiting class could do it.

Just not sure why the death knell was necessary.

setem
12/10/2010, 02:08 PM

Neither is Jeff.

Jenna was just a dumb *** not really a cancer. She seemed to be a team player and a hard worker.

yankee
12/10/2010, 05:09 PM
I'll take your word for it on the 'tude, and I don't doubt it at all. I like Fitz a lot better as well! I just think Tiny was the better ball player.

tiny may have more God-given talent than Fitz, but he wasted it during his tenure in Norman. Fitz is showing everyone that hard work does indeed pay off. I don't expect him to put up 22 and 6 against the likes of K-State or KU every night, but he's one of the better post players in the Big 12 from what i've seen.

LiveLaughLove
12/11/2010, 03:36 AM
But even if we stink again next year and Capel gets the boot, the right replacement could easily get us back into relevance. One good recruiting class could do it.

Just not sure why the death knell was necessary.

Getting that one good recruiting class is going to be much harder done then said. With the LNC looking like a deserted mining ghost town, how do you attract good players for that good recruiting class?

The LNC sucks for a good basketball atmosphere even when it's full. It's cavernous when it's near empty. Recruits won't be impressed unless they are just dying to play at OU.

We won't be able to lure a top name coach after this crapola, so that won't attract them either.

I agree the program will never be truly dead as long as they can play, but it's pretty clear Capel has presided over dropping it from a top 15-25 type program to something in the mid to even lower end of things.

That's not where I want OU. It will take quite awhile to recover from it.

olevetonahill
12/11/2010, 03:55 AM
OP can Yall say DRAMA ****ING QUEEN ?:rolleyes:

...sooner
12/13/2010, 09:44 AM

-lets say he was a better ball player when scouts were in the crowd :D
tiny is a waste of talent

stoopified
12/13/2010, 09:06 PM
This is overly dramatic.Bingo

GDC
12/14/2010, 06:01 PM
OP can Yall say DRAMA ****ING QUEEN ?:rolleyes:

Yes, but I can think of a lot of other things to call him as well...

:D

TopDawg
12/14/2010, 06:58 PM
Jenna was just a dumb *** not really a cancer. She seemed to be a team player and a hard worker.

Didn't she get kicked off the team after some sort of stealing thing? (Like, merchandise or money, not the ball.)

TopDawg
12/14/2010, 06:58 PM
Attending games doesn't make you any more a fan than being a graduate does.

Actually it does.

TopDawg
12/14/2010, 07:04 PM
I think there are a few people in this thread who need to check the sarcasm meters on their monitors.

AlboSooner
12/14/2010, 09:00 PM
BTW Tiny Gallon is playing for a NBA developmental team called red claws, where the mascot is a red lobster.
http://www.nba.com/dleague/maine/Roster.html

waynepayne
12/14/2010, 09:01 PM
Didn't she get kicked off the team after some sort of stealing thing? (Like, merchandise or money, not the ball.)

makeup and stuff at Wal-mart. I remember thinking, really you're going to risk your scholarship and being a member of the OU family over that? Pffft.

oulucas
12/14/2010, 09:52 PM
04 and I have not always seen eye to eye ("My kingdom for a women's basketball forum," repeat 20 times) but I don't question his fandom. I wouldn't expect a true OU fan to cheer when their beloved program is losing.

Seriously? I'm honestly not trying to be a jerk here. I have a lot of respect for what you post. But to say "I wouldn't expect a true OU fan to cheer when their beloved team is losing" is the exact epitome of a bandwagon sentiment.

I also respect the opinion of the person who started this thread. I don't agree and think it's quite a bit of hyperbole, but I respect it (especially since many on here agree he is a true fan).

I grew up in Kansas but was never a KU or K-State fan growing up. I went to OU and live in Norman so I'm a Sooner fan. That sentiment of "I'm not going to cheer if we're losing" is exactly what K-State fans are known for. We're better than that.

OU basketball will be back, whether under Capel or the next person. It will never rule the campus. Anyone who doesn't see that is fooling themselves. Also, anyone who didn't see this season coming after the morons left was also fooling themselves.

It's going to get much, much worse before it gets better this year. We just don't have the talent. You can either choose to give up or choose to remain a supporter of your school. I choose the latter.

JMHO

GDC
12/14/2010, 10:39 PM
We are not just fans we are consumers and we deserve a better product. We have every right to express our discontent however we see fit.

GDC
12/14/2010, 10:40 PM
Actually it does.

Well, that's just like, your opinion, man.

oulucas
12/14/2010, 11:14 PM
We are not just fans we are consumers and we deserve a better product. We have every right to express our discontent however we see fit.

Absolutely true. And I have the right to make fun of you for being a bandwagon fan.

TopDawg
12/15/2010, 09:32 AM
Well, that's just like, your opinion, man.

It's probably not something I can scientifically prove, but let me explain. You said:

Attending games doesn't make you any more a fan than being a graduate does.

But I think most people would agree that there is a stronger correlation between attending games and being a fan than between graduating and being a fan. Sure, technically you're right, attending games doesn't MAKE you a fan, it's generally just a sign that you are one, whereas someone can graduate from a school without even knowing what sports are offered.

I think the point you were trying to make was really "attending games doesn't necessarily make you a better fan than someone who doesn't attend" because you pointed out that some fans can't attend due to distance. That's a reasonable point, but it's moot in the case of 04 because he actually IS an OU basketball superfan.

His original post was intended to be overly dramatic and is humorous if you read it knowing where he's coming from. (It makes everybody's wadded-panty-reactions to what he wrote humorous too.) I'm sure he's enjoyed watching the reactions he's gotten.

He's still cheering for the Sooners (while bemoaning the fact that they've fallen so far), he'll be by their side while they're on life-support and will be thrilled when they return to health.

GDC
12/15/2010, 09:44 AM
Absolutely true. And I have the right to make fun of you for being a bandwagon fan.

I'm not doing anything any different than any other season, except bitching and moaning on here. I still watch the games that are on TV, and when in Norman I attend, but I don't live there anymore. Oh, and I amstill paying tutition and fees.

the_ouskull
12/15/2010, 08:31 PM

And I have the right to inform you that you don't know what the sh*t you're talking about. If GDC were a bandwagon fan, I'd butt-f*ck him in the mouth publicly, leave the corpse in the middle of the Red River, and let God figure out how it ends. I would expect the same from him.

GDC hates Texas more than Texas hates Barry Switzer. I don't even know your name.

And, since every time I try to YouTube "Willow" all I get is some freakish tween trying to make herself dizzy, I'll just paraphrase a line from the movie.

I trust his loyalty more than I trust yours.

the_ouskull

OU_Sooners75
12/15/2010, 08:51 PM

Well now we as fans and consumers must be happy with a crappy product?

If GDC is a bandwagon fan, then why hasnt he left the forum? considering our bball team is in the dump and does not appear to be improving. and lets not forget about our 8-5 football season last year.

No he isnt a bandwagon fan, just a fan tired of supporting mediocrity when we know ou can produce a much better product in bball!

if he was a bandwagon fan he would have been gone by now...and not some noob to this site.

waynepayne
12/15/2010, 09:00 PM
Seriously? I'm honestly not trying to be a jerk here. I have a lot of respect for what you post. But to say "I wouldn't expect a true OU fan to cheer when their beloved team is losing" is the exact epitome of a bandwagon sentiment.

I also respect the opinion of the person who started this thread. I don't agree and think it's quite a bit of hyperbole, but I respect it (especially since many on here agree he is a true fan).

I grew up in Kansas but was never a KU or K-State fan growing up. I went to OU and live in Norman so I'm a Sooner fan. That sentiment of "I'm not going to cheer if we're losing" is exactly what K-State fans are known for. We're better than that.

OU basketball will be back, whether under Capel or the next person. It will never rule the campus. Anyone who doesn't see that is fooling themselves. Also, anyone who didn't see this season coming after the morons left was also fooling themselves.

It's going to get much, much worse before it gets better this year. We just don't have the talent. You can either choose to give up or choose to remain a supporter of your school. I choose the latter.

JMHO

excellent post!

*slowclap*

the_ouskull
12/15/2010, 09:48 PM
If you agree with that mouth-breather, your clap isn't all that's slow.

the_ouskull

Ton Loc
12/15/2010, 10:07 PM
I don't get the personal attacks in this thread. Other than calling it overly dramatic. (it is) The couple of people in here with the worst outlook on the program are two of the biggest fans I've seen in this forum. Being that passionate can easily lead to being overly dramatic. Look no further than the football forum to show you that 1000000 times over.

You new(ish) dudes need to take a break, and take some time to know who and what you're talking about. That's why my post count is low. :)

Eielson
12/15/2010, 10:21 PM
OU has tons of bandwagon fans. They're all in the football forum, though.

Crimsontothecore
12/15/2010, 11:30 PM

JMHO

Sometimes the best way to support your team is by being demonstrative about what needs to change..for the good of the program. "support" doesn't mean to blindly cheer with a big stupid grin on your face when things are obviously bad. Just remember, bandwagon fans don't complain when things turn bad, they just move on to a new team. Think about that before you freely attach the old bandwagon label to someone.

Curly Bill
12/15/2010, 11:45 PM
The bandwagon tag is the gheyest of insults...

It really is. :O

TopDawg
12/16/2010, 09:41 AM
There's a big diff between bandwagon fans and Negative Nancies. GDC is no bandwagon fan. He is, however, a Negative Nancy. ;)

C&CDean
12/16/2010, 10:12 AM
"Hi, I'm GDC, and I'm a Negaholic..."

Brando's post was over-the-top but I get his drift.

It's funny though, because my depth of passion for every other sport that OU plays besides football is pretty low. Yes, I love the teams. Yes, I want to win. However, when we lose, or have a bad season, I don't lose sleep over it. Football? Oh hells yes. Basketball? Not so much. I kind of view it more realistically than I view football. Kinda like watching my kids play basketball for their high school team. You want to win, but when they don't, you stop and get a cheeseburger and it's all over with. No gnashing of teeth or wailing. Maybe it's my internal stress protection system, cause if I got bent out of shape over basketball I'd be stressed out 30+ games a year. In all honesty, I care more about OU baseball than BB.

Finally, I've never seen OU basketball as a "great program." Good maybe, but not great. KU, Duke, NC, UCLA back inna day, etc. are great programs. OU basketball is more like KSU football. Weird coaches, funky styles, 1 or 2 good players, good enough to get close every once in a while, but never good enough to win it all. I don't ever see that changing. I hope it does, but basketball will always suck hind tit to football in these parts.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/16/2010, 10:15 AM
i prefer front tit

soonervegas
12/16/2010, 10:39 AM

It's funny though, because my depth of passion for every other sport that OU plays besides football is pretty low. Yes, I love the teams. Yes, I want to win. However, when we lose, or have a bad season, I don't lose sleep over it. Football? Oh hells yes. Basketball? Not so much. I kind of view it more realistically than I view football. Kinda like watching my kids play basketball for their high school team. You want to win, but when they don't, you stop and get a cheeseburger and it's all over with. No gnashing of teeth or wailing. Maybe it's my internal stress protection system, cause if I got bent out of shape over basketball I'd be stressed out 30+ games a year. In all honesty, I care more about OU baseball than BB.

Finally, I've never seen OU basketball as a "great program." Good maybe, but not great. KU, Duke, NC, UCLA back inna day, etc. are great programs. OU basketball is more like KSU football. Weird coaches, funky styles, 1 or 2 good players, good enough to get close every once in a while, but never good enough to win it all. I don't ever see that changing. I hope it does, but basketball will always suck hind tit to football in these parts.

Point taken.

I think you undervalue it a little though. KSU has not made it to the highest level in football twice in the last 22 years and come a within a win (1985, 2003, and 2008) three other times. (I am definning the highest level as the Final Four) I would put it more in line with a Virginia Tech of basketball. Which is why I am a little concerned at what I see on the court right now...

TopDawg
12/16/2010, 10:47 AM
I think the KSU football comparison is a little rough. It either gives KSU football a lot more credit than it deserves or OU basketball much less.

For instance, through last year, we were tied (with UConn) for 28th on the list of All Time Winningest Teams in MBB. Of the schools ahead of us, only 7 started playing basketball after us (1908). Those schools are: North Carolina (1911, #2), UCLA (1920, #8), Utah (1909, #12), Western Kentucky (1915, #14), Louisville (1912, #17), NC State (1913, #26) and Villanova (1921, #27).

A couple of years ago, ESPN did a "countdown of the most prestigious programs since 1984-85" (which is when the tournament expanded to 64 teams meaning it took 6 wins to win a championship). They based it on titles, Final Fours, Elite Eights, 30-plus win seasons, conference titles, draft picks, all americans, etc. etc. OU ranked 12th, between Michigan State (11) and Indiana (13). Kansas finished second, behind Duke, and was the only Big XII team ahead of us. link (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3493766)

Meanwhile, KSU football STILL...even after several years of great success...ranks 9th-from-last in terms of All Time Lowest Winning % and there are only two other schools who have more total losses than KSU (Northwestern and Indiana). If you start it at 1936 (which is considered the National Championship Era), KSU has the most losses during that time (although that was through last year; New Mexico State may have "caught up" to them this year).

TopDawg
12/16/2010, 11:01 AM
As a comparison, the college football program that ranks 28th on the list of All-Time Winningest is Army, just 4 games behind Navy (through last year).

Florida and Stanford are 23rd and 24th, respectively, and probably only passed Army in the past 2 or 3 years. Virginia Tech, by the way, is 17th.

Also, Kansas State is 44th in terms of winningest football programs since 1984 (a comparison using a timeline similar to the ESPN prestige rankings one).

Note: While looking for a way to compute that, I stumbled upon this website (http://football.stassen.com/records/compute-request.html) where you can type in any date range and sort results by win %, total wins, etc. and get the results for all programs that qualify. Pretty stinkin awesome.

Bourbon St Sooner
12/16/2010, 11:04 AM

Man, I'd give us at least Ga Tech or Clemson football, although those programs have actually won titles in football.

badger
12/16/2010, 11:05 AM
OK... how bout Iowa State football instead of Kansas State football :D

badger
12/16/2010, 11:07 AM

To quote The Last Crusade after young Indiana Jones loses an artifact he wants in a museum, "You lost today kid, but that doesn't mean you have to like it."

I'm not saying don't cheer for OU. I'm saying fans shouldn't be expected to cheer for losing.

TopDawg
12/16/2010, 11:09 AM
Man, I'd give us at least Ga Tech or Clemson football, although those programs have actually won titles in football.

GA Tech Football: 33rd, 1984-2009 Wins
Clemson Football: 20th, 1984-2009 Wins
OU Basketball: 12th 1984-2009 ESPN Prestige Rankings

GA Tech Football: 16th, All Time Wins
Clemson Football: 28th, All Time Wins
OU Basketball: 28th, All Time Wins

Good call on that one.

That's based on the website I just posted where you can run the queries. It has Clemson at 28th with Army and Navy right above them.

OUmillenium
12/17/2010, 10:10 AM

Neither is Jeff.

OOOhh...thats heavy. Good point.

Aldebaran
12/17/2010, 02:23 PM

The bar for greatness for Sooner Basketball is pretty darn low.

soonervegas
12/17/2010, 02:39 PM
We have been to 4 total Final Fours and that ranks 17th all time. (Tied with schools like Syracuse, Florida, Arizona to name a few)

What we have seen the past 1.5 years is unacceptable and there should be more fire in the belly of OU fans about the product we are seeing.

badger
12/17/2010, 02:45 PM
No expectations are ever too high for the hardcore fanatic, but are we expecting too much out of Capel after losing several All-Americans to the pros in one season, and then arguably the next NBA Rookie of the Year the season before?

There is so much parity in college basketball that George Mason can make it to a Final Four and Butler can be one shot away from a national title... by the same token, top programs with top facilities can also be reduced to no postseason some years.

C&CDean
12/18/2010, 10:21 AM
OK, Clemson football then. I still don't feel any better about it all. Clemson's year is made if they beat USC.

In all honesty, I expect this team to have compound fractures of their sphincters after tonights game with Cincy.

Bourbon St Sooner
12/20/2010, 11:04 AM
GA Tech Football: 33rd, 1984-2009 Wins
Clemson Football: 20th, 1984-2009 Wins
OU Basketball: 12th 1984-2009 ESPN Prestige Rankings

GA Tech Football: 16th, All Time Wins
Clemson Football: 28th, All Time Wins
OU Basketball: 28th, All Time Wins

Good call on that one.

That's based on the website I just posted where you can run the queries. It has Clemson at 28th with Army and Navy right above them.

Hey, at least I got something right. Ga Tech was pretty bitchin' at football back in the leather helmet days, though. I think that Hypesman guy coached for them.

NormanPride
12/20/2010, 11:51 AM
I feel like I'm cutting myself whenever I watch this team. I will continue to do it, because the kids are playing hard. But I am starting to ball all this pain up into fiery hatred directed at the coach.

the_ouskull
12/20/2010, 06:22 PM
Here's some more flames to keep that hatred burning then. "Tiny" is leading the Red Claws in scoring (16.8) and is less than a board per game (8.2 to 8.5) from leading them in rebounding as well. He's also shooting 50% from the field, and 33% from the arc. One negative is that he's averaging 3.7 turnovers (and 3.5 fouls) per game. That's 3.7 turnovers per 31 minutes. Impressive.

But, before everybody throws they hands up in da urrr and celebrates "Tiny's" coming-out party (heh) some perspective...

B.J. (It's Byron now, *sshole...) Mullens is averaging 19 per game. Okay, fine, his one-game sample size isn't that impressive. How's this, then.

It's a former Big 12 player, so many of you have seen him play. He's averaging not quite 17 points per game, 9 boards per game (in 30 minutes) is shooting a much higher percentage (60% from the field) and, at 2.25 per game, is turning the ball over much less than "Tiny" is.

Dexter Pittman. Sioux Falls Skyforce.

"Tiny's" stats are roughly the same as Dexter Pittman's. BJ (BYRON!) can score 19 in a D-league game. It's good ball, but it's good "I have to try to prove I can play in the league" ball. Antoine Walker is putting up 20+ per game, at an out-of-shape 34 years of age. "Tiny's" got a ways to go before he's seeing any NBA money... unless he gets a front office job with his college deg... never mind.

Heh, I guess this post had a happy ending after all. That reminds me, I need to schedule a massage...

the_ouskull

Edit: Dexter Pittman was called up by the Heat today, owing entirely to their dearth of frontcourt depth. Crap.

OU_Sooners75
12/21/2010, 11:01 PM
No expectations are ever too high for the hardcore fanatic, but are we expecting too much out of Capel after losing several All-Americans to the pros in one season, and then arguably the next NBA Rookie of the Year the season before?

There is so much parity in college basketball that George Mason can make it to a Final Four and Butler can be one shot away from a national title... by the same token, top programs with top facilities can also be reduced to no postseason some years.

It could also be a reflection of our current coach why so many problems have occurred?

lets face it, the players we lost from last year were not exactly players of the highest character or the type to build your program around.

Lets just say Capel has failed greatly when it comes to recruiting.

OUSKINS
2/8/2014, 10:37 PM
Not dead. Very much alive.

And I am bumping this because I am almost certain I saw a guy on the big screen tonight wearing a Padres hat, toting a little one on his shoulders. And he seemed to be enjoying himself :)

Wish that guy would post again.

picasso
2/8/2014, 10:59 PM
Don't forget T Mac. One of my faves.

GrapevineSooner
2/9/2014, 01:40 AM
I clicked on this thread thinking this would be about OSU's program after tonight's events.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/9/2014, 01:52 AM
I clicked on this thread thinking this would be about OSU's program after tonight's events.I clicked also thinking that, and I wanted to weigh in on wishing the aggy a fairly painless and numb bedowngrading.

C&CDean
2/9/2014, 11:53 AM
Well, I must admit that I am enjoying OU hoops much more than I have in several years. And I too wish the homo Padres fan would post. Must be too busy at the Whataburger...

badger
2/9/2014, 03:04 PM
If u miss him go to ouhoops.com he's a regular over there now