PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Wilson appreciation thread..

Soonermagik
12/8/2010, 02:13 PM
The guy was better than a lot of people thought. Yes, he had some blunders, but all coaches do. Overall, the guy was an incredible OC. He came up with a lot of different schemes. Had the highest scoring offense of all time.

He helped Bradford, Jones, Gresham, Broyles, Still etc.. a lot. His offense was IMHO, better than what Leach did. Wilson tried to balance the offense and not throw every play. Like I said, he had a few bad games, but overall he was really good. Thanks for your hard work, Kevin. Good luck at Indiana. :)

SoonerOX
12/8/2010, 02:16 PM
Agreed on all counts. Thank you KW!

RoaminSooner
12/8/2010, 02:20 PM
I'll take the good with the bad. Good luck Coach!

cccasooner2
12/8/2010, 02:22 PM
Yep, thanks. I doubt he will read this post; probably thinks it is a trap

mgsooner
12/8/2010, 02:31 PM
I like where this is headed

rainiersooner
12/8/2010, 02:33 PM
So far only positive posts - and let me say, I agree. The guy was a lot better than he was given credit for (other than in goal line situations, with four downs, in important games...I kid! I kid!). Good luck KW.

Leroy Lizard
12/8/2010, 02:36 PM
Someone needs to start a similar thread on Shaggy for Greg Davis. :D

Back to the point: KW did an excellent job for us and I wish him the best.

My only hope is that we don't end up focusing only on the negatives with our next OC, like we did KW.

btb916
12/8/2010, 02:37 PM
Happy trials, coach!

cvsooner
12/8/2010, 02:42 PM
Kevin Wilson: thanks and kudos. You deserve a shot at HC, and Indiana is yours. Thanks for all you did here...it was impressive. I'm glad you're in another conference if you're not on our side.

mgsooner
12/8/2010, 02:43 PM
Happy trials, coach!

lolz

ashley
12/8/2010, 02:44 PM
Happy trials, coach!

He did a very good job. Everyone needs to try calling plays once in their life. I have no doubt that he would be more appreciated after that.

jdd12
12/8/2010, 03:12 PM
Someone needs to start a similar thread on Shaggy for Greg Davis. :D

They did.

http://www.shaggybevo.com/board/showthread.php/78459-Dare-I...-Greg-Davis-appreciation-thread

It didn't quite turn out the same as this one. :D

btb916
12/8/2010, 03:13 PM
He did a very good job. Everyone needs to try calling plays once in their life. I have no doubt that he would be more appreciated after that.

Yeah. I just mis-typed trails. I like KW and wish him the best. He was a very good o-coord here.

Fugue
12/8/2010, 03:17 PM
good riddance

I hope they serve misdirection knowledge on the flight to Indiana.

C&CDean
12/8/2010, 03:26 PM
good riddance

I hope they serve misdirection knowledge on the flight to Indiana.

And all this time I thought you were at least semi-intelligent.

Fugue
12/8/2010, 03:27 PM
you know my posts come with implied sarcasm :texan:

but I'm a little disappointed that nobody had the bag to neg me

PMKMDJ
12/8/2010, 03:35 PM
Thx...can't say I am real sad, but the devil you know is better than the devil you don't.

85sooners
12/8/2010, 03:38 PM
Bye

Taxman71
12/8/2010, 04:00 PM
I think Wilson is the best O-Coordinator we've had at OU since Galen Hall. Mike Leach had a great year, but it was only 1 year. With the exception of this year's redzone offense against A&M, Wilson has been stellar.

Anyone glad Wilson is gone needs a dose of reality.

C&CDean
12/8/2010, 04:16 PM
you know my posts come with implied sarcasm :texan:

but I'm a little disappointed that nobody had the bag to neg me

Oh, so it's red you want, huh? Let me put up the Posse Light and they'll be on you like a Uconn lineman on a 6-year old.

btb916
12/8/2010, 04:27 PM
Oh, so it's red you want, huh? Let me put up the Posse Light and they'll be on you like a Uconn lineman on a 6-year old.

Too soon? Maybe that was too soon. :D

boomersooner28
12/8/2010, 05:59 PM
THANK YOU Kevin Wilson. For.....uh....um. Thank you! Uhhhhhh....ya. Thanks!

And stuff.

AlboSooner
12/8/2010, 06:00 PM
thanks for doing your job kevin wilson.

aero
12/8/2010, 06:03 PM
KW, thanks for your much appreciated service to OUr Sooners. A thankless job well done.

TopDawg
12/8/2010, 06:04 PM
My only hope is that we don't end up focusing only on the negatives with our next OC, like we did KW.

We?

I'll bet dollars to donuts that the people who focused on the negative with KW will focus on the negative with the new OC. And the people who focused on the positive, will focus on the positive.

I hope we can increase the amount of positive and decrease the amount of negative (even though I was pretty darn pleased with the balance KW struck), but as long as there is any of either, there will be fans yelling about it.

fossil
12/8/2010, 06:08 PM
We?

I'll bet dollars to donuts that the people who focused on the negative with KW will focus on the negative with the new OC. And the people who focused on the positive, will focus on the positive.

I hope we can increase the amount of positive and decrease the amount of negative (even though I was pretty darn pleased with the balance KW struck), but as long as there is any of either, there will be fans yelling about it.

;) Wonder what Chuck Long is doing about NOW???

AlboSooner
12/8/2010, 06:14 PM
KW, thanks for your much appreciated service to OUr Sooners. A thankless job well done.
:confused:

CarolinaSoonerFan
12/8/2010, 06:28 PM
Thanks KW

cccasooner2
12/8/2010, 06:51 PM
.........I hope we can increase the amount of positive and decrease the amount of negative (even though I was pretty darn pleased with the balance KW struck), but as long as there is any of either, there will be fans yelling about it.

Don't mess with Mr. Inbetween. (or is it Mr. In Between?)

OUthunder
12/8/2010, 06:53 PM
He seemed like a good coach and an even better human being. Good luck to Coach Wilson as well as his family. I hope that you are able to turn the Hoosiers into winners soon.

Sooner95
12/8/2010, 07:32 PM
Yea good for him, He did a good job while here. Of course now who is our OC? Norvell or Heupel?

goingoneight
12/8/2010, 07:34 PM
In his first game, he got Rhett Bomar to win a bowl game.

In his first season, he took what was supposed to be a dreadful offense to the BIG 12 Championship and the Fiesta Bowl. One screw job at Oregon away from playing for it all. This all before mentioning his star quarterback was playing wide receiver all the way up until August. I-N-C-R-E-D-I-B-L-E coaching job by all parts associated.

In 2007, a three-star recruit led the nation in pass-efficiency as a freshman under Wilson's watch. Gresham and a few others became stars this season.

In 2008, it was scary good at times. "Taking something good and making it better" says former wideout juaqin Iglesias of the switch to the no-huddle effort. The best college offense of all time.

2009 was a year no coach would have succeeded to Oklahoma's standards. Not one.

2010 saw a bunch of young stars take the next step toward 2007/2008-kinda greatness in KW's system.

And we're pissed because of a few questionable play calls? Get in line with every fan of every team til the end of time. Offensive Coordinators have FAR more than just sitting in a corner and drawing up X's and O's. You playstationeers may think it's as simple as looking in the book and calling the perfect triple reverse-option-halfback pass-shovel statue of liberty-and-ladder everytime your team loses a game... but remember... players like Jermaine Gresham, Sam Bradford, Ryan Broyles and DeMarco Murray are just talented athletes before being coached.

IslandSooner
12/8/2010, 07:54 PM
Don't get me wrong, I have spent many Saturdays' half drunk, b*tching about a certain play call, or something that I am nowhere near qualified to judge. But in the end the guy is a very good Offensive Coordinator and I hope he does well as a HC. Good Luck Coach Wilson, I wish nothing but the best for you and your family.
BOOMER SOONER

landrun
12/8/2010, 08:45 PM
He's the best OC we've had since Stoops has been here.

We will all miss him. ... yeah.. even you KW bashers. :rolleyes:

Soonermagik
12/8/2010, 09:08 PM
In his first game, he got Rhett Bomar to win a bowl game.

In his first season, he took what was supposed to be a dreadful offense to the BIG 12 Championship and the Fiesta Bowl. One screw job at Oregon away from playing for it all. This all before mentioning his star quarterback was playing wide receiver all the way up until August. I-N-C-R-E-D-I-B-L-E coaching job by all parts associated.

In 2007, a three-star recruit led the nation in pass-efficiency as a freshman under Wilson's watch. Gresham and a few others became stars this season.

In 2008, it was scary good at times. "Taking something good and making it better" says former wideout juaqin Iglesias of the switch to the no-huddle effort. The best college offense of all time.

2009 was a year no coach would have succeeded to Oklahoma's standards. Not one.

2010 saw a bunch of young stars take the next step toward 2007/2008-kinda greatness in KW's system.

And we're pissed because of a few questionable play calls? Get in line with every fan of every team til the end of time. Offensive Coordinators have FAR more than just sitting in a corner and drawing up X's and O's. You playstationeers may think it's as simple as looking in the book and calling the perfect triple reverse-option-halfback pass-shovel statue of liberty-and-ladder everytime your team loses a game... but remember... players like Jermaine Gresham, Sam Bradford, Ryan Broyles and DeMarco Murray are just talented athletes before being coached.

Well said!! People only point to the bad plays, but forget the good stuff. It's not easy to draw up plays that work in fluid situations. When you look at how many games we won due to his play calling it's scary.

Sure, we lost a few due to his play calling, but that can be said on the defensive side of things too. The guy had a few bad games, but he's only human. I think when you look at his work as a whole he did an amazing job. Just wish more people would recognize that.

tcrb
12/8/2010, 09:15 PM
Thanks Kev. Sorry 'bout the name callin' during the Orange Bowl a couple years ago and the aTm game this year. Good Luck to ya!

PLaw
12/8/2010, 09:27 PM
adios, sianara, good-bye, this is it.

Mucho gracias for the part you have made to feed the beast. You made us proud and best wishes on your new venture.

Just leave coach Patton in Norman.

BOOMER

StatGeek
12/8/2010, 09:29 PM

Well stated

Okie35
12/8/2010, 09:40 PM
Yep, thanks. I doubt he will read this post; probably thinks it is a trap

Hahaha ... Good luck to K-Dub at Indiana!

MamaMia
12/8/2010, 09:51 PM
Grazie and good luck. :)