PDA

View Full Version : Critical loss next season - Cameron Kenney

BoulderSooner79
12/8/2010, 01:00 PM
We all know that we don't lose a bunch of players for next season, but still some big shoes to fill. Murray, Beal, Broyles (probable), Carter are the big names thrown around, but I think we need to add Kenney to that list. During the time Kenney was benched in favor of Franks, our smoke screen became ineffective - the key was Kenney's blocking. The last 2 games were the only 2 games where we actually won the 4th quarter and Kenney came up huge both times. NUs press coverage was consistently throwing Broyles and Stills off their routes, but Kenney was physical enough to beat that coverage. I know he came on late, but once his hands became reliable he has been clutch. It shows we do need at least one physical receiver on the field.

And Bryce Macon will be a tough "reserve" to replace :)

stoops the eternal pimp
12/8/2010, 01:01 PM
so will Pryce Macon

soonerboy_odanorth
12/8/2010, 01:05 PM
We all know that we don't lose a bunch of players for next season, but still some big shoes to fill. Murray, Beal, Broyles (probable), Carter are the big names thrown around, but I think we need to add Kenney to that list. During the time Kenney was benched in favor of Franks, our smoke screen became ineffective - the key was Kenney's blocking. The last 2 games were the only 2 games where we actually won the 4th quarter and Kenney came up huge both times. NUs press coverage was consistently throwing Broyles and Stills off their routes, but Kenney was physical enough to beat that coverage. I know he came on late, but once his hands became reliable he has been clutch. It shows we do need at least one physical receiver on the field.

And Pryce Macon will be a tough "reserve" to replace :)

FIFY.

If DeJuan Miller can come back healthy he should fill this roll pretty effectively. He has been good in run blocking in the past as well. And I don't know that Franks was a smoke screen. I think he's going to be very good. Like all the freshmen, he'll come back next August a little more developed, and then we'll have a chance to see him improve in all areas as well.

85sooners
12/8/2010, 01:06 PM
:eek:

Collier11
12/8/2010, 01:07 PM
I said all season, even when he was dropping passes that Kenney needed to play due to his blocking, most bitched about him playing. Hopefully someone will step up

BoulderSooner79
12/8/2010, 01:09 PM
Yes, I meant Pryce - not his evil twin.

I hope Miller comes back strong, but he was not the route runner that Kenney is. I'm sure he can get better.

Seamus
12/8/2010, 01:13 PM
Never too early to predict gloom/doom for next season. We must strike while the iron is hot.

OOG BLARG NOW!

NormanPride
12/8/2010, 01:19 PM
We are really going to miss Pryce. His performance has been huge this year!

As for Kenney.. as much as I love the guy, Stills blocks pretty damn well and Franks will be a good underneath guy that can pick up garbage yards and first downs.

We're really going to miss our safeties. Hopefully the flashes of brilliance we saw from Javon Harris are an indicator of future studly abilities.

Breadburner
12/8/2010, 01:24 PM
I hope we see Dan Noble for every game next year.....

BoulderSooner79
12/8/2010, 01:26 PM
Never too early to predict gloom/doom for next season. We must strike while the iron is hot.

OOG BLARG NOW!

Doom and gloom? Hey, I was one of the ones drooling over the '11 season *way* before it was even "allowed" (fans must take it one game at a time). I'm just throwing out what needs to happen to have that great season - I'm confident those things will happen.

Collier11
12/8/2010, 01:28 PM
Once Franks brain catches up with that speed, he should be a beast

cvsooner
12/8/2010, 01:34 PM
We've almost already had the critical loss of Kenney. The last two games have shown what the previous 24 games could have been. I'm hopeful he'll keep it up for one more game.

Leroy Lizard
12/8/2010, 01:35 PM
I said all season, even when he was dropping passes that Kenney needed to play due to his blocking, most bitched about him playing. Hopefully someone will step up

Yep. If Stoops is playing him, there must be a reason.

NormanPride
12/8/2010, 01:37 PM
Once Franks brain catches up with that speed, he should be a beast

Yeah, and he calms down in big games. He was nonexistent for awhile...

Don't count out Joe Powell either. He was neck and neck with Franks on who would get the starting nod.

SoonerOX
12/8/2010, 01:39 PM
FIFY.

If DeJuan Miller can come back healthy he should fill this roll pretty effectively. He has been good in run blocking in the past as well. And I don't know that Franks was a smoke screen. I think he's going to be very good. Like all the freshmen, he'll come back next August a little more developed, and then we'll have a chance to see him improve in all areas as well.

I was thinking the same about D. Miller. He is a huge receiver, which should help in the screen game. Also, if I'm not mistaken, Justin McCay is a big receiver at over 200 pounds. I have no idea how well he can block though.

bigfatjerk
12/8/2010, 01:49 PM
DeJuan Miller will be back next year. We have a couple stud freshmen WRs coming in and we still have Stills, Franks, and probably Broyles. We are set at WR.

Beal will be the guy we miss the most off this years team of anyone. He's a defensive player of the year type guy. We had trouble replacing McCoy this year we'll have just as much replacing Beal. Good thing Ronnell Lewis has stepped up late in the year.

We'll still be really good at RB, we'll still miss Murray some but I think we'll be fine there and probably have a better line so we will have some bigger runs.

With the way Javon Harris and Tony Jefferson have played this year I think we'll be even better at safety in the long run. Even without Carter and Nelson.

usaosooner
12/8/2010, 01:55 PM
WR will will be fine next year..

DT is the concern..

stoops the eternal pimp
12/8/2010, 02:00 PM

yup..I remember posting something similar to this and another posting saying WR blocking wasn't that important...

Soonermagik
12/8/2010, 02:08 PM
I've heard through a few sources that Broyles is considering staying. There a ton of receivers coming out this year. Julio Jones, AJ Green, possibly Blackmon, Kid for S. Carolina etc.

All those guys would likely go ahead of him. That might put him as a 2nd or 3rd round guy. If he comes back, he might be looking at 1st round the following year. That's a big difference in coin. Plus, we could see an NFL lockout. A lot of unknowns right now.

OU_Sooners75
12/8/2010, 02:29 PM

And Bryce Macon will be a tough "reserve" to replace :)

Well, I bet we replace Kenney with a terrific young freshman named Trey Meytor (sp?)

bigfatjerk
12/8/2010, 02:29 PM
I've heard through a few sources that Broyles is considering staying. There a ton of receivers coming out this year. Julio Jones, AJ Green, possibly Blackmon, Kid for S. Carolina etc.

All those guys would likely go ahead of him. That might put him as a 2nd or 3rd round guy. If he comes back, he might be looking at 1st round the following year. That's a big difference in coin. Plus, we could see an NFL lockout. A lot of unknowns right now.

I think the NFL lockout may keep a lot of guys in school that would be gone. I think Julio Jones is likely gone but guys like Blackmon may stay.

TXBOOMER
12/8/2010, 02:38 PM
According to Lesley Gene Miles. SKOOLZ LOZE PLAYERZZ EVERY YEAR AND OTHER PLAYERZZ HAVE TO STEP UP AND REPLACE PLAYERZZ.

BoulderSooner79
12/8/2010, 02:41 PM
According to Lesley Gene Miles. SKOOLZ LOZE PLAYERZZ EVERY YEAR AND OTHER PLAYERZZ HAVE TO STEP UP AND REPLACE PLAYERZZ.

'tis true, but there is also a strong correlation between the top 5 teams and the teams that lose the least PLAYERZZ from the previous year. That will be us next season.

bigfatjerk
12/8/2010, 02:49 PM
We don't really lose that many players. Something like 18 starters return and even some of the guys that didn't start played a ton like Jefferson, Ronnell Lewis, Finch, Franks, Wort, and I'm sure there's more I'm not thinking of.

adoniijahsooner
12/8/2010, 03:43 PM
Metoyer is a very physical wr, so I expect him to see the field is everything goes according to plan. Also, Justin McCay was a 5* LB coming out of high school, so there is no telling how good he may be. CK will be a big loss, and he is the only wr we have had in quite sometime that dominated in physical man to man coverage. Iggy, Clayton, Manny, and even Broyles has been thrown off their game by defensive backs getting physical at the line.

SoonerNutt
12/8/2010, 04:33 PM

I bitched about him playing in front of Miller. I still would if we had a healthy DM, but I'm glad Kinney got his redemption the last couple of weeks. We needed him to step up and he did.

NormanPride
12/8/2010, 04:57 PM
Miller is 10% the route-runner and blocker that Kenney is. That's why Kenney got the start, but once he started dropping balls Miller came in.

mightysooner
12/8/2010, 05:27 PM
Critical loss? In five years people won't even remember Cameron Kenney.

BoulderSooner79
12/8/2010, 05:29 PM

Try to give a player props around here...

Landthief 1972
12/8/2010, 05:30 PM
Last I heard from my Pokie friends, Blackmon was staying for another year a Sheep Rape U.

BoulderSooner79
12/8/2010, 05:34 PM

We may not remember him in five years, but if he had of stepped up big we would certainly still remember that OSU went to the big12 CCG. The Pokes would make sure we remembered that for at least 100 years. :P

mightysooner
12/8/2010, 05:38 PM
Try to give a player props around here...

Okay fine. Thank you Demarco Murray and Ryan Broyles for carrying our offense on your backs and setting the benchmark on where the young guys need to be.

AlboSooner
12/8/2010, 05:45 PM
Idk about critical

East Coast Bias
12/8/2010, 05:49 PM
I think many will remember Kinney and his recent performances. He reminds me of Renaldo Works and his performance against Alabama. Anyone remember that guy and his big run?

yankee
12/8/2010, 05:55 PM
We'll still be really good at RB, we'll still miss Murray some but I think we'll be fine there and probably have a better line so we will have some bigger runs.

we're going to miss murray a lot more than "some".

yankee
12/8/2010, 05:56 PM
and seriously, who the f' is cameron kinney?

bigfatjerk
12/8/2010, 06:20 PM
we're going to miss murray a lot more than "some".

Maybe but people probably thought the same with AD and we still have good running games in 07 and 08. If our offensive line gets bigger and better during the offseason they will be better, and Finch has shown signs of being electric. Jonathan Miller looked good in limited snaps 2 years ago. Brandon Williams is a stud high school player. That means nothing right now, but we'll see next year. We have a lot of depth there.

Our run game will really come down to the offensive line improving. Our offensive line is not real physical right now.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/8/2010, 06:45 PM

OOG BLARG NOW!har

SouthFortySooner
12/8/2010, 11:35 PM
I really think Calhoun could be a superstar if allowed enough carries to, 'get in a rhythm'.

edit: note to all you coach haters, notice I didn't say if they don't, their stooopid.

BoulderSooner79
12/8/2010, 11:43 PM
I really think Calhoun could be a superstar if allowed enough carries to, 'get in a rhythm'.

edit: note to all you coach haters, notice I didn't say if they don't, their stooopid.

I'd like to have a power runner like Calhoun in the rotation, but the kid has a big hill to climb after the major knee surgery.

SoonerSpock
12/9/2010, 09:04 AM
Yes, I meant Pryce - not his evil twin.

I hope Miller comes back strong, but he was not the route runner that Kenney is. I'm sure he can get better.

Miller is big and strong plus we get Trey Motoyer #1/2 WR in the country who is big at 6'2", 215#s, strong, suppose to have great hands and run excellent routes. Runs 4.42 forty and 38" vertical per Rivals.

SoonerNutt
12/9/2010, 09:56 AM
Miller is 10% the route-runner and blocker that Kenney is. That's why Kenney got the start, but once he started dropping balls Miller came in.

Obviously I understand that Miller wasn't doing everything he needed to be doing in practice to surplant Kenney in the lineup until partway thru this season, but Kenney didn't just "start" dropping passes all of a sudden. It was his achilles heel from the start.

Miller earned the starting job by being a reliable target on the field and slowly earning the coaches' trust. I haven't analyzed his route-running or blocking, but I know that he made critical catches with limited opportunities.

This isn't about bagging on Kenney. He stepped up and made plays when it counted, and we should all be glad he was here to do that. The bigger point is, Miller was starting over him before the injury, and he will be back next year, so it's not like we are replacing an NFL WR with an untested walk-on here. We'll be fine.

ouleaf
1/13/2011, 10:19 AM
So what does everyone think about Cameron Kenney's chances of getting drafted this year. I'm not sure he'll be projected as a 1st day guy by any means, but I think he could be a late round steal. He still needs some polishing, but he'd definitely be one of the best athletes on the field at the next level, just like he was at OU. I think he'll test out/measure well for WR and hope he gets some Senior Game invites or Combine invite.

We all knocked him for a few crucial drops, but he had a solid 2nd half of the season and really showed some signs of being an effective NFL WR.

OUmillenium
1/13/2011, 10:37 AM
yep. my thoughts as well

fwsooner22
1/13/2011, 10:44 AM
But for a couple who always have to criticize the guy "with an opinion cuz it don't match yours" that was a darn good read (thread).

NormanPride
1/13/2011, 12:19 PM
He made Amukamara look like a fool. He'll get a shot.

kelloggOUballa
1/13/2011, 12:51 PM
He will probably be an undrafted free agent, but I think he'll have a shot at making it somewhere. Just needs to continue to work hard.

Soonerjeepman
1/13/2011, 01:21 PM
missed...yes...like all the guys...critical? no. he basically stepped up for 3 games. I think we have guys coming back and coming in that will do just fine.

more worried about replacing the other D starters and DM.

BoulderSooner79
1/13/2011, 03:01 PM
missed...yes...like all the guys...critical? no. he basically stepped up for 3 games. I think we have guys coming back and coming in that will do just fine.

more worried about replacing the other D starters and DM.

Glad to see the thread bumped and I agree Kenney will get a shot as either a late round pick or FA pick-up. Someone may get productive player very cheap.

As far as critical loss - I really meant the role of physical receiver as much as Kenney the player. But that's often the same thing - yes, it was only for the final few games, but look at the difference it made in those games. Neither Broyles or Stills can play that style. Miller did some good things, but as NP pointed out is not nearly the polished route runner. We have lots of talent to look at, so I hope someone emerges.

Sooner_Tuf
1/13/2011, 04:22 PM

Imma people and I will remember him. I'll probably yell Boomer every time I see him on Sundays or on Monday Nights.