PDA

View Full Version : Mavs Talk

Pages : [1] 2

ouleaf
12/8/2010, 11:07 AM
I know this is the Thunder Board, but for those Mavs fans out there, I hope you've been watching them of late.

They are arguably the hottest team in the league right now having won 10 straight and have been playing really good basketball. Dirk has been Dirk, but the big difference this season has to be Tyson Chandler. He brings energy and a tough physical presence to make up for what Dirk can't do on the defensive end. He has also been a great team mate. You always see him encouraging his teammates on the floor when he is on the bench. He and Haywood have a goal to combine for 20/20 each night, which I think is great.

Carlisle's decision to start DeShawn Stevenson has also worked out well I think. No. 1 it moves Caron Butler to a more natural SF position. No. 2 he is a pretty solid defender that you can stick on a teams best player, and for the most part he'll do a respectable job or at least get under the guys skin.

Jet Terry and Shawn Marion off the bench have been pretty solid this year. Jet has to be the early favorite for 6th man of the year and has been instant offense off the bench this year. Marion is still a good defender and will get you some hustle points every night.

I am a bit worried that Kidd's legs are starting to go, but I think Carlisle is making a real effort to limit his minutes when he can. JJ has been a serviceable backup and still has the ability to drive the ball. He's struggled a bit offensively of late.

All this and the Mavs have been doing it without the exciting Roddy B. Can't wait for him to get back.

ouleaf
12/21/2010, 10:18 AM
Mavs with another big win on the road and put a halt to Miami's 12 game win streak. While the Mavs allowed the Heat to come back after racing out to an early lead, they stayed tough and hit clutch shots and free throws in the closing minutes to win.

Have the 2nd night of a back to back tonight against the new look Magic. I'm hoping that since it is a bunch of new guys playing together that it will work in the Mavs favor and get a bunch of turnovers on the defensive end.

After that, the Mavs have a short break for Xmas but get right back at it with games at OKC and the Spurs at home before the end of the year.

ouleaf
12/22/2010, 01:23 PM
Buzz going around today about the Mavs possibly being interested in renting Carmelo for the rest of the season. Cuban is denying though.

Think you'd prob. have to give up Butler, Stevenson, Beaubois and prob. a pick to get it done. Not worth it to me. Chemistry is fine right now and team is playing great.

Ruf/Nek7
12/22/2010, 03:17 PM
I dont really like the idea of having Melo right now given team chemistry and the fact that the desired location Melo wants to be is NY. Regardless, I love how the Mavs are playing. I just hope they have enough in the tank come postseason.

The Mavs have to have the most depth at the forwards. Dirk, Marion, Chandler, Haywood, Mahimi, Ajinca, and yes Cardinal! Once Roddy B gets back its going to be awesome. Hell, it already is. Go Mavs!

the_ouskull
12/24/2010, 07:39 PM
Quick thoughts. Kidd's legs have been going for a few years. For the past two or three now, he's been getting by, defensively, SOLELY on reputation. In the playoffs, for the Mavs to do anything of note, they're going to have to find a way to hide Kidd defensively, and, in the West, that means hiding him from the likes of Westbrook, Deron Williams, Chris Paul, et al... athletic guards that he simply can't keep up with anymore.

Stevenson's been a decent player with no minutes for a few years now. He gives them the versatility to move Butler to his natural position, as already mentioned, but he's also a solid three-point shooter, and a capable, if not great, defender.

Also, as for the bench, Terry's NOT a starting two, but he's a good off-the-bench combo guard. Marion hasn't been a starting forward for a few years now, but, being paid like one, he's been cast in the role. Nice to see him coming off of the bench where he can still be somewhat effective... with his f*cked-up lookin' shot.

If they "fix" the Kidd situation defensively, and if Haywood and Chandler can give this team ANYTHING offensively, they'll be able to make some noise. I think Roddy B. coming back will help with the Kidd situation. Only time will tell with their posts.

Good thread. Good analysis.

the_ouskull

ouleaf
12/28/2010, 10:14 AM
Unfortunately was flying back into Dallas last night so I did not get to see the game, but a big, big win over OKC with Dirk going down in the 1st half. Kidd stepped up...Marion had a nice night. Butler continues to roll and Jet Terry had another big time 4th Quarter performance and helped sew up the win.

Hopefully Dirk will be able to lace them up for the big matchup with the Spurs on Thursday night.

Ruf/Nek7
12/29/2010, 11:30 AM
Mavs looked pretty lost last night against Toronto. I sure hope Dirk is back to play the spurettes. Either that or they work hard on getting a better game plan going without him.

ouleaf
12/31/2010, 10:58 AM
Tough loss for the Mavs last night, but not really fair to gauge a team w/o it's 1st scoring option. The Mavs definitely looked very out of sorts at times without Dirk last night. Kidd tried to force a lot of stuff last night and took some really bad shots. Jet Terry was unfortunately a complete no-show last night. Props to Caron for stepping up in Dirks absence. Wish he would try and put the ball on the floor and drive it a bit more though.

Spurs played a nice game though. They went on that crazy run in the 2nd quarter where they hit like 10 or 11 straight shots. They got a bit lazy and settled for too many perimeter shots in the 3rd Quarter, and the Mavs were able to claw their way back but they answered every run by the Mavs with a run of their own.

I'd like to think that if Dirk were in there it would have been a different result, but the Spurs looked pretty legit and just have so many weapons. You can see why they have the best record in the league right now.

I think Dirk is probably out a couple more games. No real reason to risk it against the likes of the Bucks and Cavs, but hopefully he'll be back for Portland at home. It definitely hurts your team when both of your front court guys do not consistently produce offensively where it is Chandler/Haywood and Cardinal/Marion. Definitely wishing the Tim Thomas thing would have worked out right about now.

oudavid1
12/31/2010, 07:49 PM
I grew up a mavericks fan and then switched my alliance to the Thunder. Just when they get good.

ouleaf
1/3/2011, 12:12 PM
Well Sh*t!!!

The injury bug has not only bitten the Mavs in the last week, it's a full on allergic reaction to the bite. Butler goes down in terrible pain against Milwaukee and it is sounding like he will be out for a very long time, if not the rest of the year.

They are now down their first and second scoring option and it will be tough going for the Mavs if they can't get someone else to fill the scoring void left by Butler. Do the Mavs revisit the Carmelo Anthony rent a player strategy?

The Mavs called up rookie SG Dominique Jones from their D-League team. He has been playing well there and also had a good showing with the Summer League team. He lacks ideal size for a SF though, which might mean moving Marion to SF. I'm a bit hesitant about this b/c Marion has actually been more effective when he's getting minutes at PF.

DeShawn Stevenson has had a nice year, but again not really sure he has the size to play the 3. Mavs might look to go to their 3 guard lineup of Kidd, Terry, and Barea, which I absolutely don't like b/c it means having 3 defensive liabilities on the floor at once.

2 Months of really good basketball has been completely undone in about 4 days with the injuries they have sustained. Cubes, Donnie and Carlisle have some major decisions to make in the next few weeks or so.

soonerbub
1/3/2011, 04:21 PM
Injuries suck but dirk's was the freakiest I have ever seen on a basketball court--couldn't do it again if he tried.

Everyone is just lining up for their *** whipping by San Antonio at this point

oh and you're goin down Thursday night!!!!

ouleaf
1/3/2011, 05:29 PM
I don't give the Mavs much chance against anyone right now if they don't get healthy in a hurry. Initial word out is the Mavs are not going to rush to the trade market just yet, but that doesn't mean the media down here isn't spinning stories and possible trade scenarios.

Everything from Carmelo to Gerald Wallace to Tayshaun Prince. I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to Prince though....He's in the last year of his deal, so you send Caron's expring and Dominique Jones and a 1st Rd pick and you could land Prince.

ouleaf
1/4/2011, 04:52 PM
Welp it's official. Butler is done for the season. Had surgery to repair a torn patellar tendon. Heard they can apply for some sort of injured player exception for about half of Caron's salary, so about $5MM. That's probably only if they don't trade him though.

Regardless, I think the Mavs really need to make a move to shore up their SF position. I'm not thrilled with the idea of Marion getting 30 or so minutes at SF every night.

Ruf/Nek7
1/4/2011, 09:11 PM
Welp it's official. Butler is done for the season. Had surgery to repair a torn patellar tendon. Heard they can apply for some sort of injured player exception for about half of Caron's salary, so about $5MM. That's probably only if they don't trade him though.

Regardless, I think the Mavs really need to make a move to shore up their SF position. I'm not thrilled with the idea of Marion getting 30 or so minutes at SF every night.

Deshawn Stevenson, being 6'5, is more than likely the beneficiary of that spot left vacant by Caron. This may provoke Cuban to pursue Melo even harder, especially since he just shot down yet another generous offer from Denver.

ouleaf
1/5/2011, 10:28 AM
Deshawn Stevenson, being 6'5, is more than likely the beneficiary of that spot left vacant by Caron. This may provoke Cuban to pursue Melo even harder, especially since he just shot down yet another generous offer from Denver.

Stevenson will definitely be given more minutes at SF. Ideally it would be better if he were a little bit taller. He is listed at 6'5" but I'm not sure he's really that tall. He also doesn't rebound particularly well either, so that is also why i'm a bit hesitant for him to receive major minutes at SF. Plus he pretty much just camps out on the perimeter on offense and is only really effective if he is hitting the 3 ball on that particular night. He did last night, which was huge in a win over Portland.

I still really like the idea of going after Tayshaun Prince. Last year of contract and I don't think you'd have to give up a whole lot to get him and he does have pretty solid playoff experience and is familiar with Carlisle as well.

Another very unlikely option I heard that I think would be a good fit is Battier in Houston. I just don't think the Rockets would be willing to deal him within the division. He does a little bit of everything though.

soonerbub
1/6/2011, 10:59 PM
Glad the mavs didn't decide to foul in the end!

And KD, WTF you got snookered at the end

ouleaf
1/7/2011, 01:49 PM
Tough loss. Mavs played a pretty solid 1st half, but the Thunder clamped down on defense in the 2nd half and cut the Mavs shooting percentage by about half. The Mavs just looked completely out of sorts in a half court set and it was very frustrating to watch. They were sloppy with turnovers and rebounded poorly in the later runs by the Thunder. As a credit to the Thunder the Mavs simple had trouble trying to find an open shot against the length and athleticism the Thunder bring.

Not a lot of positives for the Mavs in this game. Marion had a great first half scoring-wise. Chandler battled down low all night, but he the Mavs were just out matched at too many other positions.

The Mavs just don't have anyone right now that can replace the 40 points a night that Dirk and Caron brought on a nightly basis and it is killing them. What also hurts is that those are the 2 guys that can create their own shots.

The Mavs are in for more of the same if Dirk can't get back and soon. I'm really starting to get worried. This is the longest absence due to injury of Dirk's career. It has really been his ankles that have given him problems in the past, so this knee thing is new. We are all seeing just how valuable he is to this team now.

Ruf/Nek7
1/8/2011, 07:42 PM
The only positive thing that I am taking from this is that Dirk should be well rested come playoff time. Something, he is not accustomed to having.

I'm trying not to panic just yet because we are playing tough teams w/o our MVP candidate and staying in each game we have played. OKC -4, SA -6. For the exception of the Milwaukee game, we really have not been blown away. Maybe Cuban and Nelson are holding Dirk out until Roddy B is ready to come back to add a shot of high energy to the Mavs

ouleaf
1/13/2011, 02:34 PM
Welp, Mavs are flat out terrible right now. They are just pathetic right now on offense without anybody that can consistently create their own offense. So frustrating to watch right now after the awesome start to the season. They are playing like a borderline lottery team right now. They can hang with another team for the first couple quarters, but then without fail the opponent will go on a run and open the lead to about 9-10 points and they just won't be able to close that gap.

I guess the only positive right now is that the Mavs are still 3rd or 4th in the West. I'm also worried that when Dirk does come back, you are still missing Caron Butler as your 2nd option. I know the Mavs are hesitant to pull the trigger but a move has to be made and I think that would involve Butler's expiring contract, as much as Donnie and Cuban would love to keep him here.

ouleaf
1/20/2011, 10:10 AM
Big win last night for the Mavs against the Lakers. They definitely need that to get some confidence back. Granted the Lakers were playing their 3rd game in 4 nights, the Mavs fought back after trailing most of the 1st half.

Kidd and Terry had nice shooting nights and the Mavs got a ton of bench points. Chandler stepped up and had a big 2nd half despite puking in the locker room during the first half with the flu.

Still not sure now well this team will ultimately function without Butler, but if Dirk is healthy the rest of the way, they should at least get into the playoffs. They have to bring in help though if they want to have a chance to compete for the title though. w/o Butler the rest of the way, it'll be another 1st or 2nd round exit.

ouleaf
1/21/2011, 01:37 PM
Buzz around the league is Mavs are looking to add Peja after the raptors finalize the buyout of his contract and Peja clears waivers. Apparently there has an agreement in principal to sign with the Mavs. Peja hasn't played much this season, citing a "sore left knee." Something tells me it won't be so sore any more and he'll be able to contribute sooner rather than later. He'll definitely be in the rotation at SF between him, Marion, and Pavlovic if they keep him.

85sooners
1/23/2011, 10:41 PM
:gary:

ouleaf
2/3/2011, 12:07 PM
Mavs have seemed to have stopped regained some of their previous form as of late. The have won 6 straight and 7 of their last 8, that includes wins over the Lakers, Clippers, Rockets, Hawks, and Knicks. Dirk appears to be almost back to form after the knee injury, which is huge.

The Mavs of late have been getting a nice offensive boost from Tyson Chandler. He has been connecting on a lot of alley-oops of late and he has been really solid at the FT line. JJ Barea has seem to have refound his scoring touch and is just about the only Maverick that can dribble drive to the rim.

Cuban hasn't ruled out the possibility of the rent-a-carmelo strategy if they think it will need it. If it's just mostly taking on his salary, I would do definitely do it, but if the Nuggets are wanting a bunch of picks I say forget it. Just make due with what you have or look to add depth elsewhere.

Dirk just passed 22,000 points for his career, good for 24th alltime. Assuming he plays out the rest of his current contract to the 13/14 season, there is a real possibility he hangs em up as a top 10 all time scorer in the 27-28,000 point range. I don't think he gets to the 30,000 milestone.

SoonerRoy
2/3/2011, 01:13 PM
Good for him but it is interesting that Chandler is playing so well TWO YEARS AFTER the Thunder team doctor nixed a trade for him because of an injury.

ouleaf
2/3/2011, 05:16 PM
Good for him but it is interesting that Chandler is playing so well TWO YEARS AFTER the Thunder team doctor nixed a trade for him because of an injury.

That was the rap on him when we got him from the Bobcats in exchange for dumping Dampier. He was a guy that had been hurt for pretty much the past 2 years. Props to the Mavs personnel guys for evaluting that he is healthy. It also probably helps that this is a contract year for Chandler as well. That always seems to get guys to up there numbers a bit above normal.

Glad he is on the team and really hope the Mavs can re-sign him in the offseason.

soonerbub
2/3/2011, 07:48 PM

the same doc that did the surgery on him when he was here

I'm thinkin there was more to the story but it worked out nicely for all parties IMO

ouleaf
2/10/2011, 02:45 PM
Mavs on a 10 game win streak with a tough matchup against Denver in the 2nd night of a back to back. Hasn't necessarily been the prettiest wins, but wins nonetheless and a good number of them over quality teams.

Getting lots of help off the bench lately. Hope the Peja pickup can prove useful. I'm sure he'll have his nights where he is knocking them down like he used to do against the Mavs in his Sacramento days, if he can avg 10 pts and help stretch the defense while he is out there I'll be fine with that.

Getting word the Roddy B is starting to go through full practices again and could join the team in a 7-10 days.

Ruf/Nek7
2/10/2011, 08:47 PM
Mavs on a 10 game win streak with a tough matchup against Denver in the 2nd night of a back to back. Hasn't necessarily been the prettiest wins, but wins nonetheless and a good number of them over quality teams.

Getting lots of help off the bench lately. Hope the Peja pickup can prove useful. I'm sure he'll have his nights where he is knocking them down like he used to do against the Mavs in his Sacramento days, if he can avg 10 pts and help stretch the defense while he is out there I'll be fine with that.

Getting word the Roddy B is starting to go through full practices again and could join the team in a 7-10 days.

I wonder if the Mavs have any legit chance of making a deal to get Melo or even Stephen Jackson?

Mixer!
2/11/2011, 11:14 AM
But who do you give up to get him, and what about the cap room?

ouleaf
2/11/2011, 01:56 PM
Cap room has never been an issue for Cuban. He'll spend the money if he feels it makes the team better. I just think the Mavs would have to give up too much to get Melo and in return I'm just not sure how much better he would make the Mavs.

At this point, with the trade deadline only a couple weeks away, I'm not really sure there is any player out there that makes them good enough to beat the Lakers or the Spurs right now in a best of seven, Melo included. There are even rumors of getting Nash back from the Suns. How crazy would that be?

The Mavs are playing well right now for the most part, but not up to the level they were at earlier in the season. They have been getting nice play from their current bench players. Barea and Terry have been especially good lately.

With Roddy B's return looming and the possibility of Butler being able to make it back around the time the playoffs start, I'd hold firm with what they have and move on with the season.

Stephen Jackson seems like a real hit or miss player at this point too.

ouleaf
2/16/2011, 01:37 AM
Roddy B apparently makes his long awaited return from injury Wednesday night. Don't think he'll get a lot of minutes to start off, but could see a few extra than expected if JJ can't go.(flu)

At best this could have the impact of a big mid-season acquisition. At worst, he never finds his rhythm and only gets mop up duty. There is one unique thing he can bring that no other current Mav has and that is speed. Something the Mavs haven't had since they sent Devin Harris packing to NJ for Kidd.

Ruf/Nek7
2/20/2011, 12:23 PM
I wonder if the Mavs could be that third team involved in the Carmelo trade talks? Troy Murphy is not having the best season and battling injuries but that first round pick could come in handy when trying to make a trade for Stephen Jackson.

I know that Detroit is the said third team but with Cuban running the show, we are never out of the equation.

Ruf/Nek7
2/20/2011, 12:31 PM
I don't know about that. Lakers cannot beat anyone with a winning record right now and they are again just one big injury from being game over. Spurs are old, yeah they are playing hot but it's getting hot at the wrong time. Last team to do that good to start the season....the MAVS! Yeah we all remember what happened the first round of the playoffs that year and their big 3 are old *U*KERS!

Jackson gives us a tenacious player who can assure 15+ points a night, like Caron. The thing about Caron is, how is he going to come back off of a knee injury? It's one thing if he came in 30 games into the start of the season, it's another to tap him back in in the playoffs. He would get limited mins until he has shaken the rust off.

Ruf/Nek7
2/23/2011, 08:16 PM
So with the trade i'm assuming this will be a Deron-less jazz team tonight. So long as we shut down Millsap, I think the Mavs fair pretty well tonight. GO MAVS!

ouleaf
2/24/2011, 10:39 AM
The most wild rumor I heard was that the Mavs were trying to re-acquire Devin Harris from the Nets, and then immediately repackage him in a deal to get Deron Williams for the Jazz. I would have definitely approved of that move, even if it meant giving up picks, some expiring contracts, and Roddy B/Dominique Jones.

Never the less, I hope the Mavs don't make a major move today before the deadline. The team chemistry is great right now. The acquisition of Peja and return of Roddy B has been the equivalent of a trade. The Mavs are without question the deepest team in the league right now. Word is the Caron's rehab is ahead of schedule he may very well make it back for the playoffs.

Ruf/Nek7
2/26/2011, 03:02 PM
The most wild rumor I heard was that the Mavs were trying to re-acquire Devin Harris from the Nets, and then immediately repackage him in a deal to get Deron Williams for the Jazz. I would have definitely approved of that move, even if it meant giving up picks, some expiring contracts, and Roddy B/Dominique Jones.

Never the less, I hope the Mavs don't make a major move today before the deadline. The team chemistry is great right now. The acquisition of Peja and return of Roddy B has been the equivalent of a trade. The Mavs are without question the deepest team in the league right now. Word is the Caron's rehab is ahead of schedule he may very well make it back for the playoffs.

I agree with the Roddy B and Peja comment. Roddy injects a shot of adrenaline and Peja gives us a shooting threat at all parts of the court. I think Caron is fairing better with rehab because he has suffered this injury before. He knows exactly what to do or what he can do better.

The spurettes are old and streaking at the wrong time. They will be a one and done in the playoffs. Mavs are set up to win the west. Just beat okc or lakers and then play bulls or celtics in east. Go Mavs! (This time stern can't keep cuban from getting the trophy. Cuban has been on good behavior)

Ruf/Nek7
2/27/2011, 09:50 PM
Another great win by the Mavs tonight. I'm glad Cuban kept the team we have because they are looking really good. Dirk was huge tonight!!! With the way the upcoming schedule looks like, no reason Mavs can't put together a third double digit win streak. Go Mavs!

texas-sooner
2/28/2011, 12:35 AM
And it's not out of the question that this team could win 60 games. And to think at one point this team lost 10 out of 13 games. If Dirk and Caron manage to stay healthy, are record looks a lot like the spurs

Ruf/Nek7
2/28/2011, 11:26 AM
And it's not out of the question that this team could win 60 games. And to think at one point this team lost 10 out of 13 games. If Dirk and Caron manage to stay healthy, are record looks a lot like the spurs

All of that is true and does sound good, but as Mavs fans, we all know that regular season record means nothing if you are ousted early in the playoffs. I say we reduce Dirk's mins , let Mahimi get more, and be energized come playoffs.

The spurs will do exactly what the Mavs did when they set the franchise record for. Regular season wins and then blown away first round by golden state. The spurs are old and streaking at the wrong time.

ouleaf
2/28/2011, 12:15 PM
After a nice first couple games, Roddy B has been a non-factor in last few games. Something just not be sitting right with Carlisle, b/c he has been yanking him pretty early even though he has started. Hopefully it's just a case of him getting more games under his belt during the stretch run.

I would say give Stevenson more of the off guard minutes, but it seems like he has hit a wall too and isn't knocking down the 3 as much as he was at the beginning of the year.

Thankfully the rest of the bench has been solid for them: Terry, Marion, Barea, Mahinmi and even Haywood to some extent. That has really what has helped this team win consistently.

texas-sooner
2/28/2011, 04:32 PM
I would like to reduce all the starters minutes but it would be huge for us to get the 2 seed. Home court all the way until the Western Conference finals. I know the Lakers have struggled some lately but they're the 2 time defending champs. Something tells me they could make a stretch run here at the end of the season. Keeping that 2 seed would be huge for us

Ruf/Nek7
3/2/2011, 08:14 AM
Two things: A. WOW JET TERRY! 6th Man of the year?? I think so. B. I hope Chandler's ankle injury is minor at most, although the rest he will get will pay off come playoff time.

With Pepe le d****e out for the spurs, Mavs have an opportunity to catch them. San antonio looked lost and couldn't keep the ball in their possession against memphis. Mahimi and haywood need to fill the potential hole and they can do it for sure.

ouleaf
3/2/2011, 10:50 AM
It will be interesting to see if Chandler is out for an extended period of time if Carlisle moves to more of a small ball lineup. Not have Chandler to defend the paint will hurt and there are some tough teams coming up on the schedule. Hopefully Haywood and Mahimni can step it up.

texas-sooner
3/2/2011, 11:35 AM
Chandler tweeted last night that it was just a minor injury and he'd be back soon. As far as Terry, he is so clutch for us in the 4th quarter. 6th man of the year no doubt. And look at the spurs schedule. In the next 4 games I think they play the lakers and the heat, good of time as ever to catch the hated spurs

Ruf/Nek7
3/2/2011, 08:16 PM
Chandler tweeted last night that it was just a minor injury and he'd be back soon. As far as Terry, he is so clutch for us in the 4th quarter. 6th man of the year no doubt. And look at the spurs schedule. In the next 4 games I think they play the lakers and the heat, good of time as ever to catch the hated spurs

DMN said that Chandler expects to miss atleast 2 games. If that is the case then this looks to be minor for sure.

texas-sooner
3/3/2011, 01:49 AM
Corey Brewer also signs with the mavs. Pretty good pick-up for the mavs. Probably there best on ball defender now with some pretty good offense. Good pick up for the mavs, adding to an already pretty deep bench

ouleaf
3/3/2011, 09:45 AM
Corey Brewer also signs with the mavs. Pretty good pick-up for the mavs. Probably there best on ball defender now with some pretty good offense. Good pick up for the mavs, adding to an already pretty deep bench

Yeah, he was a former top 10 pick, and was part of those Florida teams that won back-to-back NCAA championships. They are saying the deal should go down today....prob 3 years and $8MM. A little pricy for a guy that isn't going to get a ton of minutes, but by no means breaking the bank.

He brings length and versatility to guard multiple positions on the defensive end. Peja will still prob. start at SF, but look for Brewer to get some of his minutes. This will hopefully be a nice addition to an already very, very deep team.

texas-sooner
3/3/2011, 10:33 AM
I read where Peja would still start butt depending on who we play you could see Corey start, say if we play Kobe or Durant or someone like that. He is only 24 and last year he averaged abut 13 points a game. This team has about 4 or 5 guys coming off the bench that would start for a lot of NBA teams right now

Ruf/Nek7
3/5/2011, 02:14 AM
Well Brewer wasn't much of a factor tonight but I'm not stressing over that. I know he will get comfortable and post better #'s. Jet Terry in the clutch again...loving this Mavs team right now. Oh and the Heat suck! Wonder how much longer until ESPN removes the "heat index"?

texas-sooner
3/5/2011, 11:50 AM
Yea i'm not to worried about Brewer either. I wasn't expecting good numbers from him right away. Roddy b played much better and looked way more aggressive going towards the basket, always a good sign. And can't say enough about the Terry right now. This team is rolling right now, now if the spurs would ever lose to help us out some

ouleaf
3/5/2011, 11:31 PM
5 fouls in 5 minutes, isn't exactly a highlight, but you could tell he had a lot of good energy when he was in there. He was really desperate to make a big play, and was probably a bit too aggressive. Hopefully after a week or so he'll start to gel more.

texas-sooner
3/6/2011, 11:06 PM
Tough loss tonight. Defense was awful in the second half. Still crazy to think that we've won 18 out of the last 20 with the 2 games we lost comin on buzzer beaters. Probably Roddy B's best game back, would have loved for him to play more in the second half. Always tough to lose a game when the Spurs also lose. Only a game up on Lakers for the 2nd seed now.

ouleaf
3/7/2011, 09:51 AM
Tough loss indeed. Bit of bad luck on that shot that Haywood blocked going right to Battier under the rim. That's the way basketball go sometimes though. Then Randolph hit a nice fall away jumper to pretty much seal it.

The Mavs have had trouble with the Grizzlies of late. They are a young athletic team that poses a lot of matchup problems for the Mavs, and for whatever reason they are a team that never really seems to grab the Mavs full attention. The Mavs were definitely missing the presence of Chandler for this game. Haywood had a nice game, but there was just no answer for Randolph in the second half, and they gave up a ton of points in the paint.

The Mavs have a pretty tough final stretch of games. It'll be important that everyone gets back and is healthy for the playoffs. I'm not sure if they can catch the Spurs, but they really need to lock down that No. 2 seed.

GrapevineSooner
3/7/2011, 10:51 AM
I wouldn't be too concerned with catching the Spurs.

But they need to lock down the #2 seed.

texas-sooner
3/8/2011, 02:13 PM
I've given up on catching the Spurs. The 2 seed is the key because it gives us home court advantage up until the Western Conference Finals, counting that we make it that far. I agree that with the Grizzlies game that killer was the play before the last when the blocked shot goes right to Battier for the reverse lay-up. But when you think that we've won 19 out of 21 with 2 buzzer beater shots to lose is pretty damn good. Would like to see Roddy B play a little more in the second half, He was very effective against the Grizzlies in the 1st half and could have made an impact in the 2nd.

ouleaf
3/8/2011, 02:26 PM
I think the problem you are running into with Roddy B not getting enough minutes is that Terry is getting starter minutes, but in a 6th man role. Terry definitely deserves those minutes though. He is having one of his best seasons as a Mav.

If Terry is on the floor, the odds of you seeing Roddy out there as well are not very good. Most of Roddy's minutes are coming from the 6 to 8 minutes he starts at the beginning of the 1st and 3rd quarters before Jet is subbed in. Jet gets the rest of those quarters and most of the 2nd and 4th quarter minutes.

There just really aren't many other mintues to go around with Kidd and Barea locking up most of the PG minutes.

ouleaf
3/14/2011, 11:13 AM
Welp, after a nice win over the Knicks, who were missing Billups, the Mavs lost a tough one at home to the Lakers. Mavs did a respectable job on Kobe, but just had no answer for the tandem of Bynum and Gasol down low, especially when Chandler was out of the game.

Props to Dirk and especially to Shawn Marion, who has had a patent on the put-back-your-own-missed-shot lately. He is 32 but he is still arguably one of the best athletes in the league.

The Mavs just didn't have their usual support from the bench. I'm also beginning to fear the worse as far as the Roddy B experiment goes. At this point I would look to trade him in the off season in hopes of acquiring another piece and/or draft pick. He needs to be the guy that can take the ball to the rim, and I just haven't seen that out of him as much as I'd like.

ouleaf
3/21/2011, 10:40 AM
Afraid it's getting harder and harder to buy what the Mavs are selling these days. The Lakers have overtaken them in the standings and the Mavs have looked unconvincing in losses to both the Lakers and Spurs in the past week or so.

I'd be wary of anyone the Mavs matchup against in the playoffs, but I guess I'd hope for a Mavs/Nuggets 1st round series. Just doesn't seem like the Roddy B experiment is working out as Mavs fans hoped. He just doesn't attack the basket the way I hoped he would to give us that guy that can get to the bucket pretty much whenever we wanted.

ouleaf
4/1/2011, 12:26 PM
Welp, I'm afraid last night's poor performance against the Lakers shows the Mavs just don't have the horses to go toe-to-toe with the best in the West. The team is really missing some of that toughness Caron Butler bring to the table right about now.

I realize it was the 2nd night of a back to back, but outside of a respectable effort by Dirk, he didn't get a lot of help from the rest of the team. Terry's shove of Steve Blake was just plain stupid on his part.

I'm thinking the Roddy B experiment needs to be shut down in favor of more time for Barea. He just isn't ready to compete against the elite teams. Barea is the only guy on the Mavs that can take the ball to the basket.

I'm beginning to fear the worst again at this point and that is another first round exit.

Collier11
4/2/2011, 02:44 AM
are they gonna be tough enough to win in the playoffs this year? Is Chandler gonna be healthy? Not a Mavs fan but that would be my questions

ouleaf
4/4/2011, 09:02 AM
are they gonna be tough enough to win in the playoffs this year? Is Chandler gonna be healthy? Not a Mavs fan but that would be my questions

They certainly don't look like it right now. I think that last loss to Lakers really affected their mentality. They just don't have the horses to match up with the Lakers(I don't think anybody does really). After these last three games I'm not sure they are going to be mentally or physically tough enough to get past a Portland/Denver/NOLA team in the first round.

It drives me nuts to see another year wasted, but I just don't see a way this Mavs team gets any further than the 2nd round. At this point I'm really wishing they would have made a trade deadline push for Carmelo or Gerald Wallace. The Mavs have hit a wall right now. Dirk will show up for the Playoffs, it's just going to be a matter of if he gets any help. Terry has been terrible of late. Roddy B is just not ready to compete against elite teams yet. Kidd is inconsistent.

I'd like to think if the Mavs had a healthy Caron Butler, it would be a different story, but I'm just not sure. They sure could use some of his toughness right about now, and I know he is working his butt off to rehab that knee.

ouleaf
4/15/2011, 01:40 PM
Well, after somehow almost having a chance to get back into the No. 2 seed, the Mavs wound up locking down the 3 seed against Portland. A lot of people picking the Trailblazers to win the series, and for good reason. Portland is young, athletic, has guys that can both Dirk, and they play really well at home. I think the biggest X-Factor was the mid season pick up of Gerald Wallace. He has meshed really well into Portland's system and I'm not sure there is anyone on the Mavs that can guard him.

The keys to the Mavs winning this series aside from Dirk needing to be the best player on the floor, are Kidd, Chandler, and the Mavs bench. Kidd was a no show in last years playoffs. He has to provide 10-12 points a night and consistently knock down the 3 ball. Chandler's defensive presence will be huge. He cannot afford to get in foul trouble. The Mavs bench will also be key.

Mavs in 7....I hope

Quik Sand
4/16/2011, 03:22 PM
I think Portland gets a split to open the series and wins in 6. People fall for their good regular seasons each year and I dont think Chandler brings enough added toughness to put them over the top. Gerald Wallace would have really helped in this area as would a Perk.

Dallas really needed to get NO in the first round. Portland is full of guys who are long and athletic. Chandler will stay in foul trouble trying to guard LA. We should see a lot of Wallace on Dirk. Is Jason Terry considered the number two guy on this team (with Butler out)? That guy cannot be counted on for an entire series.

SoonerNate
4/17/2011, 01:14 AM
_irk was getting all the calls tonight. Completely absurd. _allas must have paid the refs.

texas-sooner
4/17/2011, 05:17 PM
You really think we paid the refs? Dallas got the calls in Dallas and Portland will get the majority of the calls in Portland. This is not uncommon for this to happen in the playoffs. And is Dirk and great defensive player? of course not, but pronounce his name as Irk makes you look pretty ignorant

Ruf/Nek7
4/18/2011, 07:09 AM
There were a lot of no calls on Dirk. Watching the game on ESPN has always been tough because there is little love for the Mavs and even the commentators had made several comments on contact that wasn't called.

I like the resiliency the Mavs showed in their win. They played terribly in the second half and still managed a tough victory against a scrappy portland team. Still sticking with Mavs in 6.

ouleaf
4/18/2011, 10:21 AM
I was certainly worried when Portland took the lead late in the 3rd quarter and on into the 4th quarter, but definitely gotta give the Mavs credit for gutting out the win. They played some some pretty good defense in those final minutes and really did a great job of getting knocking down their FT's

MVP of the game has to be Jason Kidd. What a night. Love that he was looking to shoot more and he'll need to keep that mindset going forward. I'm not saying that is a performance he can repeat every game, but it was huge as the Mavs didn't really get a lot of help outside of him and Dirk.

Love to see Stevenson back in the starting lineup...Think he did a good job on Mathews and Roy when he matched up against them. Would like to see him get some more shots to maybe see if he can't catch fire b/c I'm just not sure what we are going to get from Terry against a much bigger Portland team.

Glad to get the first one....definitely helps that there is such a long break b/w games 1 and 2. The extra time off is huge for a guy like Kidd.

Ruf/Nek7
4/18/2011, 02:39 PM
I was certainly worried when Portland took the lead late in the 3rd quarter and on into the 4th quarter, but definitely gotta give the Mavs credit for gutting out the win. They played some some pretty good defense in those final minutes and really did a great job of getting knocking down their FT's

MVP of the game has to be Jason Kidd. What a night. Love that he was looking to shoot more and he'll need to keep that mindset going forward. I'm not saying that is a performance he can repeat every game, but it was huge as the Mavs didn't really get a lot of help outside of him and Dirk.

Love to see Stevenson back in the starting lineup...Think he did a good job on Mathews and Roy when he matched up against them. Would like to see him get some more shots to maybe see if he can't catch fire b/c I'm just not sure what we are going to get from Terry against a much bigger Portland team.

Glad to get the first one....definitely helps that there is such a long break b/w games 1 and 2. The extra time off is huge for a guy like Kidd.

Kidd was phenomenal and Dirk caught fire at the right time. I hate when we get complacent and settle for jump shots. We shot so terribly in the second half (except Kidd) but gutted it out. We will not always need Kidd to have that kind of night.

Quik Sand
4/18/2011, 03:08 PM
Home teams will certainly get more calls, but McMillan has a point about the whistles in the 4th. J Kidd hit six threes....he had a great game. Dirk is a great player and while I do not root for Dallas, I have always rooted for him. Dallas controlled much of that game which surprised me. I still like Portland to take game 2 (fair called game).

Dallas fans....is there anyone on that team besides Dirk that you can count on? To me J Terry is your second best option, but that guy cannot be counted on IMO. To me...this is where losing Butler hurts. He would be a viable second option for Portland to deal with.

ouleaf
4/18/2011, 04:15 PM
Dallas fans....is there anyone on that team besides Dirk that you can count on? To me J Terry is your second best option, but that guy cannot be counted on IMO. To me...this is where losing Butler hurts. He would be a viable second option for Portland to deal with.

Exactly....When the Mavs got off to that great start by beating a lot of quality teams from both conferences and they were pretty much neck and neck with the Spurs fast start as well, it had a lot of analysts saying that the difference was having Butler on the floor. His toughness and versatility on both ends of the floor was just what the Mavs needed and would help take pressure of both Dirk and Terry. Ever since Caron's injury it has been Dirk and a rotation of players to step up on a given night whether that is Terry, Kidd, Barea, Marion, or Chandler.

Terry is about the only guy besides Dirk that has the ability to explode for 30 points on any given night, he has just been in such a slump the last 2 months of the season that he is hard to count on right now. But I guess you'd have to say he is the Mavs No. 2 option. If he isn't hitting his jump shots, then he is pretty much an ineffective player as he doesn't really attack the basket and he is not a great defender.

ouleaf
4/20/2011, 12:24 PM
Another gutsy win by the Mavs. Second half defensive was great and while Aldrige got off to a great start, you didn't hear his name called hardly at all in the second half.

Dirk with another big 4th quarter. Kidd keeps his shooting touch alive. Peja had a big night too. On to Portland, which is always a tough place to play. Hoping for a split up there so they can come back and finish them off in 5. That will not be an easy task though.

Great win!

SoonerNate
4/20/2011, 12:51 PM
I HEART THE 2006 FINALS

Ruf/Nek7
4/20/2011, 08:54 PM
I love the way our role players are stepping up. Still waiting on Marion to get going but happy with the production elsewhere. Defense is what is really impressing me and I can only hope that Peja keeps lighting it up. He is doing exactly what we expected him to do when we acquired him.

The only downside to Peja is that if he is not on, we have to take him off the court because he is a liability on the defensive side of the court. HE CANNOT GUARD WALLACE! Who do you root for again SoonerNate?

ouleaf
4/21/2011, 10:18 AM
I think Peja did a pretty commendable job defensively in game 2, best he has played since joining the Mavs anyway. No he's not the most athletic, but he is still pretty quick and is 6'10" as well. He rebounded pretty well too. Perfect shooting form too....even better than Dirks.

Hoping he and Kidd can keep it rolling. Would be nice to see Terry explode for about 20 points tonight too. He's long overdue for a big game. Mavs just need to keep doing what they have been defensively and limit there turnovers. As long as the Portland does run out to a huge lead early and the Mavs have to play catchup tonight, I think the Mavs will win tonight.

Ruf/Nek7
4/21/2011, 12:11 PM
I have a bad feeling that we will be called very closely tonight. Although, we did survive crawford Tuesday night. I feel it may take overtime to win or we rely on terry to carry us in the 4th.

Quik Sand
4/21/2011, 01:50 PM
Ill admit I was wrong as I thought Portland would get one in Dallas. Dallas defended well and your old vets came through. Resting Kidd at the end of the season looks like a great move at this point.

ouleaf
4/21/2011, 02:59 PM
I hope they keep matching up Batum against Dirk....Dirk is just a different player when they put Batum on him. He is much more aggresnif when he knows he has Batum on him.

I'm worried Kidd will start to fatigue earlier on with just the one day off between. Hoping Carlisle can manage his minutes well tonight and game 4, and try and sneak in each rest time by subbing him out just before you know a TV timeout is coming.

It'll be tough to win this first game tonight, but if they can somehow get to 3-0 and guarantee a split out of the trip I'd say this series is as good as over.

ouleaf
4/22/2011, 09:11 AM
Tough loss in a tough place to get a win in the first place. Mavs did what they had to and kept themselves in it the whole game, but just came up short in crunch time.

Credit to Portland....Roy had a huge game for them and they got Chandler in foul trouble early and often. Haywood gave a good effort, but limiting Chandler the whole game really hurt.

Hope Terry can keep his shooting touch for Saturday. Dirk settled for a few too many jump shots in this game, hopefully he attacks a bit more in game 4. Chandler has to stay on the floor too.

SoonerNate
4/23/2011, 05:52 PM
Why is this in the OKC Thunder Talk forum? Can Miami fans read?

This is a Dallas thread

Ruf/Nek7
4/23/2011, 06:56 PM
Because not everyone is from Oklahoma, and not everyone is a thunder fan. I call it equal opportunity guys.

SoonerNate
4/23/2011, 07:29 PM
Because not everyone is from Oklahoma, and not everyone is a thunder fan. I call it equal opportunity guys.

He was giving me grief for posting about the Heat here and not his Sonics.

Ruf/Nek7
4/23/2011, 07:33 PM
Got ya, but my previous comment still applies.

Collier11
4/23/2011, 07:48 PM
I feel bad for Mavs fans, another choke. You guys seriously need to get rid of Dirk.

And no, im not flaming.

soonerbub
4/23/2011, 07:56 PM
He was giving me grief for posting about the Heat here and not his Sonics.

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/fe/fullj.d78e79c2e4f9c3017c115777faa8cc51/d78e79c2e4f9c3017c115777faa8cc51-getty-103930750me013_oklahoma_cit.jpg

Now...back to the game. EPIC FAIL MAVS

SoonerNate
4/24/2011, 12:25 AM
Now...back to the game. EPIC FAIL MAVS

Look at his legs. Dude is like 6'9 145 lbs. F'ing shortwhorn.

Collier11
4/24/2011, 12:42 AM
and he can score on anyone in the NBA.

yankee
4/24/2011, 12:56 AM
I'm not a Heat nor a Lebron hater, but Soonernate has me headed in that direction...

Collier11
4/24/2011, 01:01 AM
I like the Heat, I like Lebron, I actually like the fact that Lebron had the stones to leave his home state Cavs despite the pressure to stay, knowing that they would NEVER win a title. I do dislike the way he handled it.

Oh Yea, I Love the Thunder!

SoonerNate
4/24/2011, 02:03 AM
I'm not a Heat nor a Lebron hater, but Soonernate has me headed in that direction...

That is really not my intention honestly. I am just fired up about this team. Since Shaq left we haven't given Wade any help. We tried the Beasley route and that didn't work. I'm just glad he's finally got some tools around him. He's too good a player to have to carry 100% of the load for a bunch of slubs.

ouleaf
4/24/2011, 03:04 PM
I feel bad for Mavs fans, another choke. You guys seriously need to get rid of Dirk.

And no, im not flaming.

Don't think you can put the playoff struggles on Dirk...If anything, he usually ups his game come playoff time....I think he is one of like 4 guys whose playoff average is 25 points and 11 rebounds.

Roy was unstoppable in the 4th quarter, but the Mavs didn't do themselves any favors by turning the ball over and settling for 3 pointers in the 4th quarter. Absolutely pathetic on their parts, I'll admit that. It really was a horrific combination of Portland winning the game and the Mavs losing it simultaneously.

I'd like to think if we had a healthy Butler available, this series would have gone much differently, but now I'm not sure. If the Mavs don't come out tomorrow night completely pissed off about what just happened and stomp on Portlands throats and somehow manage to lose a 3rd in a row, then the psyche of this team is shot and Portland will win this thing in 6.

It's just so frustrating as a fan at this point to watch them b/c they obviously have the talent and you see the flashes of brilliance. The 3rd quarter of that game was some of, if not the best, basketball the Mavs have played all season.

Collier11
4/24/2011, 06:30 PM
and Dirk plays no D, he is a big soft just like the teams mindset

Ruf/Nek7
4/24/2011, 08:48 PM

Has anyone ever stopped to think that maybe he doesn't get too involved on the defensive side because the Mavs cannot afford to have him in any kind of foul trouble? With the addition of Stevens and Chandler, the last thing this team's mindset is, is soft.

I would love to see the thunder do what the Mavs are doing without Westbrook, or the Spurs without Ginobli. My point is, the Mavs held the 3 seed and have managed to win 2 games against a much stronger opponent in Portland without its second best player.

Collier11
4/24/2011, 08:50 PM
You act like he just stopped playing D this year

Ruf/Nek7
4/24/2011, 09:06 PM
No, statistically, he stopped playing real D back in 05'

Quik Sand
4/24/2011, 09:10 PM
Has anyone ever stopped to think that maybe he doesn't get too involved on the defensive side because the Mavs cannot afford to have him in any kind of foul trouble? With the addition of Stevens and Chandler, the last thing this team's mindset is, is soft.

I would love to see the thunder do what the Mavs are doing without Westbrook, or the Spurs without Ginobli. My point is, the Mavs held the 3 seed and have managed to win 2 games against a much stronger opponent in Portland without its second best player.Stronger opponent than who?

Ruf/Nek7
4/24/2011, 09:15 PM
Sorry, incomplete thought. The Denver Thuggets

Quik Sand
4/24/2011, 09:48 PM
Sorry, incomplete thought. The Denver ThuggetsAhh thats who I thought you were referencing. I would have to disagree that they are a tougher opponent to face than Denver, but neither is an easy out :D

Ruf/Nek7
4/25/2011, 08:09 AM
Ahh thats who I thought you were referencing. I would have to disagree that they are a tougher opponent to face than Denver, but neither is an easy out :D

I just feel the Mavs would have matched up better against the thuggets. Once billups and anthony left the only player that ever worked the Mavs was smith. The west is nuts this year. At this point, the top 3 seeds are either tied in their series or down 1. This is shaping up well for the Thunder though for sure. If the Mavs lose tonight, they are done and at that point I'm all in for OKC and New Orleans. Anyone but the lakers, heat, and celtics. I would like to see OKC vs. Chicago championship....if of course the Mavs are out :-)

ouleaf
4/25/2011, 08:34 AM

I think if Dirk only could have stopped growing at 6'9" he would have been better served and could have spent his career at the 3 in stead of at the 4. If there is a position on the floor where you don't have to be the best defensively, it is SF, where as PF is arguably one of the most important positions defensively.

Dirk has never been a great defender...His post up defense isn't terrible, and he'll make a play to slap the ball out of their hands as they go up for a shot, but if it is a guy driving to the basket with a full head of steam, you can pretty much go ahead and count it as a bucket. It's pretty rare that he goes up to really contest those plays, which is frustrating.

That is what was different about the team at the beginning of this year when you had Stevenson, Chandler, and Butler on the floor with him and then Marion to come off the bench. All of them were able to counter whatever defensive shortfalls Dirk and Kidd hade. Unfortunately Butler is out, and Stevenson just doesn't get the minutes he once did b/c his shot isn't as consistent anymore.

ouleaf
4/25/2011, 01:09 PM
I just feel the Mavs would have matched up better against the thuggets. Once billups and anthony left the only player that ever worked the Mavs was smith.

Doesn't really matter who the Mavs played this year, b/c when you really think about it, they aren't playing Portland, they are playing against themselves....To me they have shown they are the better team than Portland in this series, but those ghosts of playoffs past have started to haunt them again. The Mavs are just their own worst enemy at this point, as what happened in game 4 could only happen to the Mavs....Any other team in the league would have won the game.

There just has been key moments in each series since Miami when the Mavs have some catastrophic event that puts a hole in their boat and they can't plug the hole until it is too late and they are underwater. That has been what has really hurt the Mavs is once they encounter that event, that they have been unable to bounce back from it and stop the boat from sinking.

My hopes are high that they come out tonight pissed off and dominate Portland the whole night and they can begin to exercise some of those playoff demons.

ouleaf
4/26/2011, 10:00 AM
Huge win last night. While the Mavs didn't exactly get off to a roaring start like I thought they would, the Mavs had a great final 4-5 minutes to close out the 3rd quarter and played some tough D and rebounded really well down the stetch to close out the win.

While it's upsetting b/c this series should be over and the Mavs could use some rest, I'm really hoping the Mavs can get a nice road win to close out the series on Thursday night.

Very impressed with the efforts of Tyson Chandler. 13 offenisve rebounds! His best game of the series and managed to stay out of foul trouble for the most part. Credit to Haywood too, who has had a pretty nice series aside from the FT shooting.

Kidd, while didn't have a scoring impact on this game played way better and did what he does best, distibute the ball. Marion had a nice game to and Dirk was Dirk.

Overall, the Mavs were much more aggressive in taking the ball to the basket and if they didn't get the bucket, they usually drew a foul. Lets go Mavs!

Ruf/Nek7
4/26/2011, 10:50 PM
Huge win last night. While the Mavs didn't exactly get off to a roaring start like I thought they would, the Mavs had a great final 4-5 minutes to close out the 3rd quarter and played some tough D and rebounded really well down the stetch to close out the win.

While it's upsetting b/c this series should be over and the Mavs could use some rest, I'm really hoping the Mavs can get a nice road win to close out the series on Thursday night.

Very impressed with the efforts of Tyson Chandler. 13 offenisve rebounds! His best game of the series and managed to stay out of foul trouble for the most part. Credit to Haywood too, who has had a pretty nice series aside from the FT shooting.

Kidd, while didn't have a scoring impact on this game played way better and did what he does best, distibute the ball. Marion had a nice game to and Dirk was Dirk.

Overall, the Mavs were much more aggressive in taking the ball to the basket and if they didn't get the bucket, they usually drew a foul. Lets go Mavs!
I liked that they stayed persistent. There were few consecutive offensive possessions that ended with a missed jumpshot...something us Mavs fans are accustomed to. I said in the beginning we would win in 6 and our defense has been good enough to do it on in portland. We really need to do what we did in game 4 minus the epic meltdown, and take the home crowd out of it. I'm waiting for a 12 point 4th from Dirk.

The difference is DIRKability!

Ruf/Nek7
4/29/2011, 12:43 AM
Mavs in 6! Loved the way the defense played this series. I'm hoping that bynum and kobe are hurt more than they appear and that our depth is what gets through the next round. Roddy B was activated tonight and will likely look to get some minutes against the Lakers. Marion started so terrible but really got it going in the second half. Dirk was MVP caliber tonight and had the big 4th I expected him to have. Its crazy to think the Mavs have only won 3 of their last 21 road playoff games and 1 of them at the rose garden. Mavs in 6 against the lakers. Our defense and depth will play big next series. Let's Go Mavs!

ouleaf
4/29/2011, 11:09 AM
Nice, nice road win last night. Portland made a big push, but Kidd, Barea, and Terry knocked down some big shots to open the margin back up and Dirk closed out the game at the FT line.

A really great team effort with monster performances from Dirk and Terry. Only criticism were the silly turnovers in the 4th quarter that let Portland back into it. They withstood the early Portland run and held off a last quarter run too.

Now it's on to the Lakers. It's going to be tough for sure. If the Mavs can somehow sneak out of LA at 1-1, I'll really like the Mavs chances. The combo of Bynum/Gasol/Odom will be a tough, tough matchup for Dirk and Chandler.

The battle of the old point guards should favor Kidd i'm thinking. I'm guessing they'll stick Stevenson on Kobe. Might also see Marion, Kidd, or possibly Brewer if you need the fouls.

I'm hoping Terry can keep his shooting touch from game 6 and bring it to LA. There was a stretch in that game where he was automatic. They'll really need him, Peja, and Barea to provide energy and scoring off the bench. Haywood has to continue his tough play as well when Chandler comes out.

It's going to be tough...Mavs have to win this in 6, b/c I don't think there is anyway they win a game 7 in LA.

Ruf/Nek7
4/29/2011, 11:31 AM
Nice, nice road win last night. Portland made a big push, but Kidd, Barea, and Terry knocked down some big shots to open the margin back up and Dirk closed out the game at the FT line.

A really great team effort with monster performances from Dirk and Terry. Only criticism were the silly turnovers in the 4th quarter that let Portland back into it. They withstood the early Portland run and held off a last quarter run too.

Now it's on to the Lakers. It's going to be tough for sure. If the Mavs can somehow sneak out of LA at 1-1, I'll really like the Mavs chances. The combo of Bynum/Gasol/Odom will be a tough, tough matchup for Dirk and Chandler.

The battle of the old point guards should favor Kidd i'm thinking. I'm guessing they'll stick Stevenson on Kobe. Might also see Marion, Kidd, or possibly Brewer if you need the fouls.

I'm hoping Terry can keep his shooting touch from game 6 and bring it to LA. There was a stretch in that game where he was automatic. They'll really need him, Peja, and Barea to provide energy and scoring off the bench. Haywood has to continue his tough play as well when Chandler comes out.

It's going to be tough...Mavs have to win this in 6, b/c I don't think there is anyway they win a game 7 in LA.

Unless the Mavs deactivate someone else, they won't have Brewer available because Roddy B is back. I think Mavs pull off a win in L.A. for sure

ouleaf
4/29/2011, 02:44 PM
Unless the Mavs deactivate someone else, they won't have Brewer available because Roddy B is back. I think Mavs pull off a win in L.A. for sure

Good point....I forgot Roddy was technically back last night. At this point though I don't trust Roddy enough to give him any major playing time.

Ruf/Nek7
4/30/2011, 07:58 PM
Good point....I forgot Roddy was technically back last night. At this point though I don't trust Roddy enough to give him any major playing time.

I agree. He was too inconsistent this year. I think he would be great to bring in in certain situations and keep the minutes limited unless what he is doing is working. Man I hope he is on because there is no one on the lakers who can match his speed.

ouleaf
5/2/2011, 02:06 PM
It starts tonight. Time to find out what the Mavs are really made of. They played great basketball against Portland outside of the game 4 meltdown. Defense has been good. Dirk has been producing. Terry seems to have found his shot again. Bench play has been solid.

Chandler has a tough test ahead of him in squaring off against Bynum. Chandler has to be giving up somewhere in the range of 40-50 pounds to Bynum. He is going to have to be even better than he was against Aldridge. Haywood is going to have to produce as well. The Portland seriers was some of his best basketball all season, so hopefully he can continue that level of effort when he checks into the games.

Look for LA to throw a combination of Gasol/Odom and possibly Artest at Dirk. I'm hoping the Lakers do something to anger Dirk b/c he usually plays better when he is angry. Dirk just needs to continue to be agresnif though and he'll do fine.

Ruf/Nek7
5/2/2011, 10:05 PM
Brewer looks to be suited up. Wonder who we deactivated?

Ruf/Nek7
5/2/2011, 10:45 PM
Nevermind, roddy is in street clothes. Guess Carlisle thought having Brewer's defense on the bench rather than Roddy's offense.

Ruf/Nek7
5/3/2011, 09:43 AM
Lakers looked slow. You would have thought NOLA took them to 7 games, all of them beign decided in double overtime. Mavs stuck to their game plan and even looked to take a page from portlands playbook. Carlisle often irks me because of the lineups he puts on the court from time to time but having Chandler attacking the rim with some Oops was brilliant. Bynum is too big, slow and injured to match that intensity. Jackson and kobe need to realize their win/loss record when kobe shoots more than 20 shots in a game. Great job of our defense making sure to shut down everyone else and just let kobe get his. I don't think there is any other way to play the lakers. LET'S GO MAVS!

ouleaf
5/3/2011, 10:35 AM
WOW!!!!

Still amazed the Mavs came away with the win. After a pathetic start to the second half, they flipped the switch and stormed back after being down by 16. The Mavs started to convert on almost every one of the Lakers missed shot and cut that lead pretty quickly.

That foul Gasol had on Dirk was crazy. My jaw dropped when that happened. Then Terry with the big steal on Kobe's pass was huge. Credit Chandler for forcing Kobe to make that pass as he showed up out of nowhere to contest that drive.

Much praise to Kidd for his defense on Kobe in the final minutes. While there is no way he could guard Kobe all game, he was great when it really counted. Love that Carlisle dressed Brewer too. You've gotta have another guy with some size to put on Kobe aside from Stevenson or Marion. Brewer came in for a few minutes, but definitely made the most of each and everyone one of them.

Dirk was great and hit some insane shots that only he can make. Bench play was another big advantage for Mavs too.

At least the Mavs have guaranteed themselves of being out of that crazy statistic that Phil Jackson's teams are something like 49-0 when they win Game 1 of a series. The Mavs definitely needed to come out of LA with 1 win, so that was huge. Hopefully this gives them the confidence they need to battle and try and take game 2 as well.

ouleaf
5/5/2011, 09:51 AM
WOW WOW!!!

Mavs win again! Very impressive considering they really didn't shoot the ball that well. That is a real testament to their improved defense. Chandler and Haywood have been a great tandem at the Center spot. Chandler had some filthy alley-oops last night.

The Mavs bench dominated the Lakers again. Barea took over the game in about a 6 minute stretch in the 4th quarter where the Lakers just had no answer for him coming off the high screen.

Dirk is playing outstanding basketball right now. He is attacking the Lakers defense, no matter who they put on him, and he is getting pretty much any shot he wants.

Mavs now have 5 games to win 2. Another big game tomorrow night back in Dallas! Hoping the Mavs can make it 3-0!

Bradz
5/5/2011, 11:24 AM
I realize Kobe is probably not 100%, and he clearly doesn't want to attack the rim, but this is great. Mavs are showing a lot of determination and confidence.

GrapevineSooner
5/5/2011, 12:23 PM
To me, the series is coming down to two things.

1. LA isn't rotating that well on defense in large part because of the presence of Dirk. That makes making those outside shots imperative and the Mavs have done that.

2. LA is great in the middle with Pau, Bynum, and Odom. But lousy from the outside. Last night, the Mavs dared the Lakers to hit 3's all night long by collapsing into the lane and LA couldn't do it until the game was basically over.

Seeing those internal cracks in the Lakers after the game during Bynum's post game interview warmed my sports heart more than you'll ever know.

Ruf/Nek7
5/6/2011, 11:40 PM
Ok here it is. LA cannot find an answet for Dirk. No big deal, no one can in the NBA which is why its bull$#!% he finished 6th in MVP voting. Secondly, Dallas bench far exceeeds la bench. Does jackson even know how to coach a team down 3-0 in a playoff? Wow....cannot believe this. LET'S GO MAVS

SoonerofAlabama
5/6/2011, 11:47 PM
I don't know how he doesn't average more points a game. He is a matchup nightmare. He is a big guy at PF, but he has a shot like a SG, and is fast. He steps back and takes that 18-foot turn-around fade-away jumper and it goes in almost every time. He can hit from anywhere almost.

Ruf/Nek7
5/7/2011, 01:08 AM
I don't know how he doesn't average more points a game. He is a matchup nightmare. He is a big guy at PF, but he has a shot like a SG, and is fast. He steps back and takes that 18-foot turn-around fade-away jumper and it goes in almost every time. He can hit from anywhere almost.

Because out of all the elite NBA scorers, he takes the most contact and gets little calls from the refs.

colleyvillesooner
5/7/2011, 08:28 AM
holy crap, holy crap, holy crap, holy crap, holy crap, holy crap, holy crap, holy crap, holy crap, holy crap, holy crap, holy crap, holy crap, holy crap, holy crap, holy crap, holy crap, holy crap, holy crap, holy crap, holy crap, holy crap, holy crap, holy crap

GrapevineSooner
5/7/2011, 08:35 AM
LA hit a few three pointers in the first half last night to get going.

Then they stopped hitting them.

Dallas couldn't hit many 3's midway through the game.

Then they started hitting them in the 4th when it really counted, down 7 with about 5 minutes to.

There's your game.

This isn't Ranger-like dominance of the Yankees in the 2010 ALCS. 2 of the 3 games have been virtual coin flips. But Dallas has been the better team and deserves to be leading this series.

Perhaps ESPN will notice this in the coming days.

colleyvillesooner
5/7/2011, 08:55 AM
I liked this retweet by Bob:

Are the Mavs having a team 3 pt contest we don't know about?

instigator
5/7/2011, 11:54 AM
Way too many threes last night, but I couldn't be happier about the position they are in. I would love to see a Dallas-OKC WCF.

SoonerNate
5/7/2011, 01:25 PM
If the Heat beat _allas again in the Finals will the _allas fans cry conspiracy again?

GrapevineSooner
5/7/2011, 02:02 PM
If the Heat beat _allas again in the Finals will the _allas fans cry conspiracy again?

Only if Wade doesn't shoot more free throws than all the Mavs combined in a game. ;)

And the Mavs actually hold onto a large lead in Game 3 already up 2-0. :(

Collier11
5/7/2011, 02:38 PM
this Mavs team is def different than those in the past

Ruf/Nek7
5/8/2011, 11:38 AM
Its obviously not conspiracy when Donaghy reveals it all in his book.

soonerbub
5/8/2011, 05:09 PM
WOW

good luck against Memphis

;) THUNDER UP

Ruf/Nek7
5/8/2011, 05:38 PM
I am numbed with shock and awe. What the Mavs did today was ungodly! Jerry 9-10, Peja 6-6, and BRIAN FREAKIN CARDINAL 1-1. Barea is lucky to make it out alive with the cheap shots he had to take.
After guarding Kobe this series, guarding westbrook should be an easier task for Kidd. Glad Mavs get some rest too...huge! GO MAVS

Ruf/Nek7
5/8/2011, 05:40 PM
;) THUNDER UP

Is that a generic brand pop you get from wal-mart or something?

Collier11
5/8/2011, 05:48 PM
as much as I dislike Dallas, it was really nice to see the Lakers get their azzes spanked, and it was nice to see the true character of the Lakers

soonerbub
5/8/2011, 06:42 PM
Is that a generic brand pop you get from wal-mart or something?

I am unable to talk smack until we prove we can play 4 quarters in Memphis :)

but...Kidd on Westbrook = advantage Dallas?? really??

Ruf/Nek7
5/8/2011, 09:27 PM
I am unable to talk smack until we prove we can play 4 quarters in Memphis :)

but...Kidd on Westbrook = advantage Dallas?? really??

Yeah pretty sure i never said "advantage Dallas" i just said it should be an easier task for kidd, unless you think Westbrook is a better scorer than Kobe

ouleaf
5/8/2011, 09:42 PM
WOW WOW WOW WOW!!!

Talk about running into an absolute buzzsaw....Game of Jet Terry's life for sure. The whole bench for the Mavs was outstanding, just like it had been all series. The Mavs hit them with a haymaker in the first half and Lakers never recovered.

As a Mavs fan, you can't help but be happy for Dirk and Jet who have suffered year after year. They both stepped up in this series and helped put and end to the defending champions run for a 3rd straight title.

The Mavs confidence is so high now, that I wish the Conference Finals started tomorrow, but some much deserved rest is in order. It will do wonders for Kidd. Also hoping the extra time off might increase the chances of Caron making a come back.

ouleaf
5/8/2011, 09:45 PM
Yeah pretty sure i never said "advantage Dallas" i just said it should be an easier task for kidd, unless you think Westbrook is a better scorer than Kobe

Kidd proved he can still D-up with the best of them in this series for sure. Kidd does struggle with having to guard the super-quick PGs like Westbrook, Paul, or Parker. He's had the benefit of matching up against old guys like Andre Miller and Derek Fisher in the first couple of rounds.

If the Mavs do play OKC, I wonder if Stevenson will get the nod to cover Westbrook starting out?

Ruf/Nek7
5/9/2011, 08:08 AM
Kidd proved he can still D-up with the best of them in this series for sure. Kidd does struggle with having to guard the super-quick PGs like Westbrook, Paul, or Parker. He's had the benefit of matching up against old guys like Andre Miller and Derek Fisher in the first couple of rounds.

If the Mavs do play OKC, I wonder if Stevenson will get the nod to cover Westbrook starting out?

I understand your point here but Kobe has tremendous speed too. If kidd does get beat, chandler and dirk will be right there. OKC has to get past memphis right now and that has proven to be a real tough task. Especially if Durant keeps throwing up bricks....shorthorn.

ouleaf
5/9/2011, 08:35 AM
I'm certainly pulling for OKC, b/c I think it's a better matchup for the Mavs....Marion typically plays Durant pretty well, Westbrook could pose some problems if Kidd has to chase him around for 30 minutes a night.

Memphis has proven they can beat up a veteran laden team in the Spurs, now they are taking it to a young, athletic OKC team.

Bradz
5/9/2011, 11:10 AM
and there you go. now a week off. hope it doesn't disrupt the momentum.

Ruf/Nek7
5/10/2011, 03:05 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-mavericks/headlines/20110509-when-will-the-mavs-play-next-we_ve-got-every-scenario-covered.ece

So if OKC/Memphis goes only 6, next tip will be Sunday (5/15) afternoon. If the series goes 7 then first tip of Western Conf. finals will be Tuesday night. (5/17) Alot of rest and preparation for the Mavs. Hope it doesn't cool us down.

ouleaf
5/10/2011, 03:26 PM
Yeah....i'm worried rust will accumulate with the extended time off, but it is certainly great for Kidd. If he can come out like he did at the beginning of the Portland series (after sitting out the last week or so of regular season games) that'll get us off to another great start.

colleyvillesooner
5/10/2011, 06:10 PM
You can knock rust off in a quarter/half. Way better than what memphis and OKC are going through. They have basically played an extra game with all these OT's. Durant played something like 57 mins last night.

Ruf/Nek7
5/10/2011, 07:54 PM
You can knock rust off in a quarter/half. Way better than what memphis and OKC are going through. They have basically played an extra game with all these OT's. Durant played something like 57 mins last night.

Still nothing compared to Syracuse vs. Uconn and their 6 OT game!

Dio
5/10/2011, 09:42 PM
So, Cuban is only selling playoff tickets to people with north texas ZIP codes to keep all the Thunder fans out. Seems kind of aggy to me.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/American-Airlines-Center-tickets-Dallas/venue/98723?tm_link=edp_Venue_Name_1

*** VERY IMPORTANT !! *** Sales to the Dallas Mavericks, Western Conference Finals, Home Games 1 & 2 at the American Airlines Center will be restricted to residents of North Texas. Residency will be based on credit card billing address. Orders by residents outside of this area will be canceled without notice and refunds given.

GrapevineSooner
5/10/2011, 11:08 PM
So, Cuban is only selling playoff tickets to people with north texas ZIP codes to keep all the Thunder fans out. Seems kind of aggy to me.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/American-Airlines-Center-tickets-Dallas/venue/98723?tm_link=edp_Venue_Name_1

That's not really new. I remember Ted Leonosis, the owner of the Washington Capitals, instituted that policy for Caps home games back when Pittsburgh Penguin fans would drive down from Pennsylvania to Landover, MD and basically take over the arena.

I don't know that that would happen here, what with the fact that the Thunder-Grizzlies series isn't close to being decided.

Not to mention everytime I've watched a Thunder-Mavs game in OKC on TV down here, there's always been a large contingent of Mavs fans in attendance, compared to games down here in Dallas.

Still, I can see the reasoning behind that. And it wouldn't surprise me if whoever wins this series institutes a similar ticketing policy.

Home court is so huge this time of year that you don't want to risk allowing fans of the visiting team to take over your arena.

If anything, I think the Thunder would be more concerned with Mavs fans either driving up from Dallas or living in Oklahoma going to the Thunder home games than vice versa.

colleyvillesooner
5/11/2011, 07:05 AM
Yep this has happened before, I think even for a Mavs spurs series maybe.

Ruf/Nek7
5/23/2011, 11:35 PM
And that is why there is a Mavs thread here! Way to go Mavs

ouleaf
5/23/2011, 11:41 PM
Freaking amazing! That is a few 4th quarter comeback in this playoffs, but this was by far the most incredible. Great, great win!

colleyvillesooner
5/23/2011, 11:42 PM
BOOM!

Curly Bill
5/23/2011, 11:42 PM
I was about ready to label Dirk the worlds greatest disappearing artist, because he might as well have stayed in the lockeroom for the first 20 minutes of the 2nd half. He was pretty good after that though. ;)

ouleaf
5/23/2011, 11:44 PM
I was about ready to label Dirk the worlds greatest disappearing artist, because he might as well have stayed in the lockeroom for the first 20 minutes of the 2nd half. He was pretty good after that though. ;)

How clutch were those FT's to tie the game? Ice water in those veins.

Curly Bill
5/23/2011, 11:46 PM
How clutch were those FT's to tie the game? Ice water in those veins.

They were huge. Once he realized they'd tipped off the 2nd half he was a monster, but until that point he might as well have been a ghost out there.

colleyvillesooner
5/23/2011, 11:50 PM
Re watching the last 4 mins. It was a 10 point game with 2:30 left. Un-****ing-believable.

Curly Bill
5/23/2011, 11:51 PM
I was a hair from walking away from the TV - game over. Glad I didn't, that was a helluva comeback.

colleyvillesooner
5/23/2011, 11:53 PM
Dirk contested 3
Dirk contested one legged jumper
Dirk contested 1 legged jumper
Dirk 2 FT's.

OT.

UNREAL.

colleyvillesooner
5/23/2011, 11:53 PM
I was a hair from walking away from the TV - game over. Glad I didn't, that was a helluva comeback.

Heh, my wife got pissed when they went down 15 and went to bed. She has no idea. :D

Curly Bill
5/23/2011, 11:56 PM
Heh, my wife got pissed when they went down 15 and went to bed. She has no idea. :D

And the way they were playing...missing open shots, giving up easy looks, getting beat on the boards, and Dirk a ghost. I can see someone checking it in, guess I had just a itty-bitty feeling they had a run in em. The Thunder are so young, and so bad in half court sets, I thought there was a chance.

ouleaf
5/24/2011, 12:07 AM
I thought for sure it was over when Collison got that Off Rebound and Westbrook hit the jumper to put it back to 10 point lead it was done, but Dirk was just ridiculous after that.

Great defense by Kidd and Marion in the closing minutes too.

Curly Bill
5/24/2011, 12:13 AM
Yup, Marion gets a lot of credit if ya ask me. And Kidd after some bad turnovers early, was a rock late.

ouleaf
5/24/2011, 01:28 PM
Also, how about the total BS they tried to pull by having the mop boys wipe up sweat in the corner of the floor for 30 seconds in between Dirk's first and second free throw to tie it up.....ridiculous

amlah6
5/24/2011, 01:42 PM
Also, how about the total BS they tried to pull by having the mop boys wipe up sweat in the corner of the floor for 30 seconds in between Dirk's first and second free throw to tie it up.....ridiculous

Not sweat, water.

The Thunder bench poured water on the court during Dirk's first attempt.

ouleaf
5/24/2011, 01:50 PM
They got lucky it wasn't a delay of game technical foul

NormanPride
5/24/2011, 02:35 PM
Why do the Thunder suck in the 4th so bad?

SOONER44EVER
5/24/2011, 02:43 PM

We only suck when we're ahead. When we're behind in the 4th we usually make a pretty good comeback. :confused:

tfoolry
5/24/2011, 02:51 PM
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk140/tfoolry/poster_4bq5ueembm1.jpg

tfoolry
5/24/2011, 02:52 PM
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk140/tfoolry/poise.jpg

ouleaf
5/24/2011, 02:59 PM

I can't speak for the whole series but last night turnovers were killer, also a good unreported stat is Average Distance of Shot. Through the first 3 quarters of last nights game, the Thunder average shot distance was much less than the Mavs.

It was only in the 4th quarter where the Mavs average shot distance was lower than the Thunder. Thunder's average shot distance was a little over 14 feet...that doesn't seem too bad, but considering it was like 7 feet in the first then 7 in the second and 10 in the third. It definitely is an indicator that the Thunder were taking lower percentage shots further away from the basket in that final period.

They just didn't take care of the ball and they settled for too many perimeter jumpers down the stretch IMO.

NormanPride
5/24/2011, 03:06 PM
Hardin fouled out and their offense went to crap, I guess.

Curly Bill
5/24/2011, 10:31 PM

Usually late in the game, especially if it's close, it comes down to who can execute better in their half court sets. The Thunder are not very good in the half court, they need to get out and run, but late in a close game those opportunities just aren't there.

ouleaf
5/25/2011, 11:08 PM
Hell of a series! Like how Dirk didn't even stick around for a minute after they presented the trophy. He knows what's really important. Time re-group, rest up, and focus on the finals....sounds like the first game will be either June 1st or 2nd depending on how long the other series goes.

AlboSooner
5/25/2011, 11:08 PM
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk140/tfoolry/poster_4bq5ueembm1.jpg

very classy of you

colleyvillesooner
5/25/2011, 11:09 PM
If Miami wins tomorrow, 1st game is May 31st. If it goes 6 or 7, Game 1 is June 2nd.

colleyvillesooner
5/25/2011, 11:10 PM
very classy of you

He did post it in a thread titled "Mavs Talk"

AlboSooner
5/25/2011, 11:12 PM
He did post it in a thread titled "Mavs Talk"

that's clearly a good reason to take a cheap shot. I'm glad not all Mav fans think like you. The proud Mav organization with a long history of championships has better fans than this.

colleyvillesooner
5/25/2011, 11:17 PM
Thanks!

EnragedOUfan
5/25/2011, 11:18 PM
All I can say is lets bring the Heat, Miami...I like Dirk and Kidd, but don't have much love for the rest of the Mavs and their organization. Here's to LeBron getting his first ring!

AlboSooner
5/25/2011, 11:18 PM
Thanks!

no problem. it's well-deserved.

colleyvillesooner
5/25/2011, 11:20 PM
no problem. it's well-deserved.

Thanks!

ouleaf
5/25/2011, 11:20 PM
Oh yeah....and how about doing all of this without a key player in Caron Butler?!?

Makes it all even more amazing IMO

AlboSooner
5/25/2011, 11:23 PM
Thanks!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_S3XEraQZjGk/TPk4K9jBwGI/AAAAAAAAP6A/iVRQZbS3yMU/s400/lebron-james%2Bmiami%2Bheat%2Bcursed%2Bassistant%2Bcoach% 2Bcavs.jpg

No. thank U.

colleyvillesooner
5/25/2011, 11:58 PM
Dirks press conference when asked about not sticking around for end of trophy celebration: We already have one of those and it didn't really do us any good last time. When you get the Finals, there is no second place."

Love this guy. He's no Lebron crying after beating the Celtics...

Soonerus
5/26/2011, 12:35 AM
Good luck Mavs...

colleyvillesooner
5/26/2011, 12:46 AM
Thanks rus.

SoonerNate
5/26/2011, 01:02 AM
Get ready for a thumping Mavs. You don't know what is about to hit you.

Curly Bill
5/26/2011, 03:26 AM

Is that you David Stern?

GrapevineSooner
5/26/2011, 11:10 AM

The next time the Heat beat the Mavs will be the first since they raised the Larry O'Brien Trophy in 2006.

I realize Miami was a little out of sorts earlier in the year when Dallas swept the regular season series. They'll be better, assuming they finish the job against Chicago.

But so is Dallas.

I don't think anybody will thump anyone.

Bradz
5/26/2011, 11:45 AM
Current Championship odds on sportsbook.com:

Miami: -180
Dallas: +130
Chicago: +1500 (15-1)

ouleaf
5/31/2011, 11:54 AM
Did anyone else notice Caron working out behind the ESPN reporters while they were filming their segments? Really wish the Mavs had him in this series, but by all accounts, he won't be active. Sucks after how hard he's worked to come back as fast as he has.

tfoolry
5/31/2011, 01:34 PM

I think the Mavs will be ready for whatever Miami tries to hit them with.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_s5VfLP5ZiZc/SMI4qfIdaNI/AAAAAAAADrc/mxAxkBs1SMQ/s400/ThumpQuackMoo.jpg

SoonerNate
5/31/2011, 04:08 PM
DA-VID HASSEL-HOFF

CLAP, CLAP, CLAP CLAP CLAP

Seriously, you Wahhveriks have no idea. DOS MINUTOS!!!!!!

Ruf/Nek7
5/31/2011, 05:57 PM
Yeah we do, two ball hogs, a Dallas native and no bench...not happening. Mavs in 6...no way the heat win unless stern suits up for them again.

StoopTroup
5/31/2011, 07:53 PM
Come the 2nd half....They should make LeBron eat a bag of McD's cheeseburgers right before he goes out on the floor and a Big Mac every time he comes out of the game....

AlboSooner
5/31/2011, 10:00 PM
Give credit to Miami for holding Dallas to just 61 pts in three quarters. Dallas is missing shots they made with their eyes closed against the Thunder.

Bradz
6/1/2011, 09:52 AM
It is critical that the Mavs take game 2.

GrapevineSooner
6/1/2011, 10:14 AM
It is critical that the Mavs take game 2.

It's also critical that Chandler grab a board or 8 when he's out there.

It's also critical that Peja and JET hit open shots and JJ can somehow get to the rim. In other words, bench be the advantage you're supposed to be.

And that might not be enough. Especially if Lebron decides he wants to take over a game.

ouleaf
6/1/2011, 10:45 AM
Good point about Chandler. Wonder if Carlisle puts Dirk on Bosh to allow Chandler to protect the paint more and be in better position to get those defensive rebounds.....If Peja doesn't get out of this shooting slump he is in soon, does Brewer eat up some of Peja's minutes at the 3?

AlboSooner
6/2/2011, 09:51 PM
they gonna choke again

Collier11
6/2/2011, 09:55 PM
I know 3 games are coming in Dallas but if they dont win game 2 its over IMO, I dont think Dallas can beat Miami 3 straight, even at home

AlboSooner
6/2/2011, 10:17 PM
is dirk top 10 all-time nba? lol. it's like men playing against boys in game 2,with an almost lethargic crowd

colleyvillesooner
6/2/2011, 10:29 PM
NO need to come to the Mavs thread to kick us while we're down. Lot more wrong than Dirk.

colleyvillesooner
6/2/2011, 10:59 PM
And that was what we call "Beast mode" by Dirk.

ouleaf
6/2/2011, 11:01 PM
WOOOOOWWWWWW!!!! 22-5 comeback run in the final 6 mins FTW. Nice of Jet to finally show up when it mattered. Dirk clutch in the closing minutes with multiple layups with the left hand.

Huge freaking win!

colleyvillesooner
6/2/2011, 11:03 PM
is dirk top 10 all-time nba? lol. it's like men playing against boys in game 2,with an almost lethargic crowd

<cough> thank you <cough>

ouleaf
6/2/2011, 11:07 PM
Major respect again to Marion who had another outstanding game....Chandler was much better than he was in game 1 too. He's really going to have to stay out of foul trouble if Haywood's injury keeps him out of the game.

colleyvillesooner
6/2/2011, 11:12 PM
Yep, Haywood's injury is very concerning. Who backs up Chandler, Cardinal? Ugh.

ouleaf
6/2/2011, 11:17 PM
You can probably get away with playing Cardinal some at the 5 if it's Anthony or Haslem he is matched up with....If you need the size, you can call on Mahinmi....Regardless, if Haywood can't go, both of those guys need to be ready to go in his absence.

Ruf/Nek7
6/3/2011, 12:14 AM
What happened to albo? He was quick to talk when the Mavs were dow, now we come storming back and he disappears. Prolly crying in front of a Kevin Durant poster trying to remove highlights of the massive comeback Dallas had on okc!

Ruf/Nek7
6/3/2011, 12:17 AM
Question for Mavs fans....does anyone think barea could find success against the heat like he had against everyone else this postseason? So far, he has come nowhere close but could that change at any point, especially in Dallas?

GrapevineSooner
6/3/2011, 12:22 AM
Question for Mavs fans....does anyone think barea could find success against the heat like he had against everyone else this postseason? So far, he has come nowhere close but could that change at any point, especially in Dallas?

If it opens up like it did in the first half, he can.

But as the game got slower and turned more into a grinding affair, his effectiveness was lost.

And honestly, I think we'll see more "grind it out" games like we had towards the end of tonight's game.

If only we could combine JJ's quickness with Kidd's smarts because in a grind it out game, JJ tends to turn into a turnover machine.

GrapevineSooner
6/3/2011, 12:24 AM
What happened to albo? He was quick to talk when the Mavs were dow, now we come storming back and he disappears. Prolly crying in front of a Kevin Durant poster trying to remove highlights of the massive comeback Dallas had on okc!

Last I heard, he was dining on this fine dish at Pollo Brothers :D

http://pakistanmediawatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/crow.jpg

ouleaf
6/3/2011, 12:26 AM

I thought he did a pretty good job in the first half tonight. The Heat made some good adjustments on him in the second half. You wish you could have him out there for extended minutes, but he becomes a liability defensively the longer he is in there.

Peja definitely needs to find his shot quick. Hopefully moving the series back to home will help with that as teams and their bench players usually shoot better at home. Stevenson stepped up in the first half and knocked down some 3's tonight, but you can't count on that every night.

Bradz
6/3/2011, 12:56 AM
It's on.

ouleaf
6/3/2011, 11:02 AM
Apparently it was just a cramp or something that cause Haywood's hip to tighten up last night. I guess he was able to stretch it out in the locker room and did come back to the bench before the end of the game, just did not get back in.

He should be available for game 3.

AlboSooner
6/3/2011, 07:15 PM
<cough> thank you <cough>

Hahaha. good point

AlboSooner
6/3/2011, 07:16 PM

I went to bed, and I've been to work all day. Here now to eat crow. I want mine with a side of humility.

Bradz
6/6/2011, 11:30 AM
Not feeling well.

ouleaf
6/6/2011, 11:43 AM
Not feeling well.

Me either, especially the thought of that useless POS ***-clown Dampier getting a ring.....Worst acquisition of the Cuban/Donnie era IMO.

Bradz
6/6/2011, 04:26 PM
Me either, especially the thought of that useless POS ***-clown Dampier getting a ring.....Worst acquisition of the Cuban/Donnie era IMO.

DJ Mbenga
Josh Powell
Antoine Walker..............

join the club, Dampier.

Mavs need to come out and win convincingly tomorrow... i.e. don't get down by 15 points and struggle back the whole game. Need lots of energy combined with shots falling. and it wouldn't hurt if Wade and Chalmers came down from the clouds for a game.

Collier11
6/6/2011, 09:08 PM
If the Mavs dont win the next two they are donezo...I know thats not saying a lot but game 3 was huge for them

tfoolry
6/6/2011, 09:46 PM
I heard no team has lost game 3 after being tied 1-1 and come back to win. I've been too depressed to research that one.

colleyvillesooner
6/6/2011, 09:51 PM
I heard no team has lost game 3 after being tied 1-1 and come back to win. I've been too depressed to research that one.

Since it went to the 2-3-2 format, it has been 1-1 11 times. Game 3 winner has one the series each time.

Not exactly a HUGE sample size, but a stat none the less.

Collier11
6/6/2011, 09:52 PM
well, since they moved to the 2-3-2 format in 85'

colleyvillesooner
6/6/2011, 09:57 PM
uh, yeah, i covered that. :D

Collier11
6/6/2011, 10:07 PM
shut it

Bradz
6/9/2011, 02:07 PM
Mavs roll tonight. I think more shots fall, and Lebron is average. Plus, Vegas is getting pounded on Miami and has moved the line by 2-3 points already... and Stern has he lead ref out there tonight in Joey Crawford.

ouleaf
6/9/2011, 03:25 PM
Interesting that there has been no Bennett Salvatore so far in these finals.

Worried that Dirk might have really exhausted himself in game 4, playing with the fever. As more and more info came out about just how bad he really was, it makes what he did in the 4th quarter of game 4 even more amazing.

He sounded better in sounds bytes today, but i'm worried how his legs will hold up if this is a grind it out game.

Mavs are due for a big shooting night, lets hope that this is the night for that. Just don't see how you can go and win 2 games in Miami, so they've gotta get this last one at home.

ouleaf
6/10/2011, 12:21 AM
One More!!!!!!!!

colleyvillesooner
6/10/2011, 12:41 AM
One more

FtwTxSooner
6/10/2011, 10:21 AM
Interesting that there has been no Bennett Salvatore so far in these finals.

I was pleasently surprised that Crawford called the charge on Wade instead of the block on Chandler with about 2 minutes to go and the Mavs up by 2.

GrapevineSooner
6/10/2011, 12:10 PM
I was pleasently surprised that Crawford called the charge on Wade instead of the block on Chandler with about 2 minutes to go and the Mavs up by 2.

I'm not sure there's too many refs in the NBA that would have made that call.

And I know Joey Crawford's not some people's favorite ref (like Don Nelson or Tim Duncan), but I haven't really ever had a problem with him. He's not afraid to make calls like that against star players.

Keep in mind, Joey was also the ref in Game 2 and didn't buy D Whistle's attempt to draw a foul on his shot at the buzzer from just inside mid court.

Ruf/Nek7
6/10/2011, 02:22 PM
Its all karma for lebrick and wade's immature antics. LET'S GO MAVS

AlboSooner
6/12/2011, 09:42 PM
Congrats to the Mavs. Deserved the title.

ouleaf
6/12/2011, 09:48 PM
WORLD CHAMPION DALLAS MAVERICKS!!!

So happy for Dirk, Kidd, JET, Marion, Chandler, Peja, Carlisle, Cuban, and the rest of the Dallas Mavericks organization. They truly were the better team and deserved to win!

Looks like JET won't be getting that tattoo removed after all.

ouleaf
6/12/2011, 10:05 PM
Class move presenting the trophy first to Carter

colleyvillesooner
6/12/2011, 10:12 PM
Still in shock

picasso
6/12/2011, 10:19 PM
The NBA is in the ****ter.

Ruf/Nek7
6/13/2011, 01:32 AM
We finally did it. Boy I was not feeling it when Lebron was firing on all cylinders, Dirk couldn't hit a wide open look and fouls were pouring in from the rafters, the grizzly bunch of veterans stuck to it and overcame the odds. Terry was huge tonight, and really carried the load until Dirk found his shot...heat may be in some trouble depending on how the collective bargaining agreement shapes out. May be enforcing some strict caps that would require teams to alter existing contracts meaning there is a good chance there will not be a "big 3" in miami! GO MAVS!

ouleaf
6/13/2011, 08:24 AM
Terry knocking down his shot from the moment he got in the game was huge. He really backed up all his talk with his play over the last 2 games. Dirk never lost his confidence in his shot and when it really matter he again had a great 4th quarter.

The Mavs got great contributions from everyone, especially their role guys. While it probably isn't likely everyone will be back next year, this was truly a basketball TEAM.

After so many seasons of frustration, this championship makes it all worth it.

Partial Qualifier
6/13/2011, 08:40 AM
Congrats Mavs. Clearly the best team in the NBA this year.

Does this mean we never have to hear the term "the big three" again? And will espn.com still have a subsection called "The Heat Index" ? ....lol

GrapevineSooner
6/13/2011, 08:59 AM
Thanks, PQ.

But I'm sure they'll be doomed to repeat their mistakes.

Remember when the Lakers were a write in champ because Karl Malone and Gary Payton joined Kobe and Shaq in 2003?

tfoolry
6/13/2011, 09:14 AM
What a night! I'm just glad I didn't get hit by falling bullets from people shooting off their guns in the air after the game. Crazy! Folks in Miami were prob. shooting each other.

Ruf/Nek7
6/13/2011, 11:56 AM
Yeah we do, two ball hogs, a Dallas native and no bench...not happening. Mavs in 6...no way the heat win unless stern suits up for them again.

Congrats Mavs. Clearly the best team in the NBA this year.

Does this mean we never have to hear the term "the big three" again? And will espn.com still have a subsection called "The Heat Index" ? ....lol

Thank you! And I hope like hell they get rid of that crap. Like I said earlier, I hope a new cap is enforced and breaks it up otherwise they may be back next year.

Ruf/Nek7
6/13/2011, 11:58 AM
Not sure why or how I quoted myself there but it looks good.

ouleaf
6/13/2011, 12:45 PM
I hope a new cap is enforced and breaks it up otherwise they may be back next year.

Lets be careful what we wish for on the NBA imposing a hard cap....A big key to the Mavs success was that Cuban willing to go over it and pay out of his own pocket to bring in key guys and the Mavs will need it if they are going to resign a bunch of their FAs, which include Tyson, Caron, and J.J. among others. Cuban will have to payout a bunch to keep this team intact. I hope he can bring everyone back, but realistically I'm not sure that everyone will be back.

Ruf/Nek7
6/13/2011, 01:36 PM
Lets be careful what we wish for on the NBA imposing a hard cap....A big key to the Mavs success was that Cuban willing to go over it and pay out of his own pocket to bring in key guys and the Mavs will need it if they are going to resign a bunch of their FAs, which include Tyson, Caron, and J.J. among others. Cuban will have to payout a bunch to keep this team intact. I hope he can bring everyone back, but realistically I'm not sure that everyone will be back.

I understand your concern and though I am not familiar with all the team's financial standpoints, I would like to think all teams would be affected. Can Lakers pay kobe and keep odom, and bynum? Can memphis pay Randolph and Gay? OKC westbrook, perkins, durant....I could go on and on. I am curious to see what we do with Caron.

ouleaf
6/13/2011, 04:19 PM
I understand your concern and though I am not familiar with all the team's financial standpoints, I would like to think all teams would be affected. Can Lakers pay kobe and keep odom, and bynum? Can memphis pay Randolph and Gay? OKC westbrook, perkins, durant....I could go on and on. I am curious to see what we do with Caron.

If the soft cap continues, it certainly favors the large market teams or the teams with owners that aren't afraid of the luxury tax. Lakers had highest payroll of $91.65MM followed by the Mavs at $90.76MM...Heat came in at No. 17 in the league at just under $67MM.

Eielson
6/13/2011, 04:28 PM
Can Lakers pay kobe and keep odom, and bynum? Can memphis pay Randolph and Gay? OKC westbrook, perkins, durant....I could go on and on.

The NBA salary cap is way too complex for me to bother trying to fully understand, but I'm pretty sure resigning players is pretty much a non-issue as far as money is concerned.

Edit: nevermind. I see that you're talking about if new rules were implemented.

badger
6/13/2011, 10:43 PM
Did anyone else see this?

"I might not get rings," the Mavs' billionaire owner told NBATV. "Rings are old school. You've seen it before: There's guys who pick up the sweats and towels and they have these big, blingy rings. I'm like, 'Rings are done. It's time to take it to the next level.'"

The first thing that I pictured was Mark reproducing the trophy itself and giving each player and coach a replica. :eek:

Ruf/Nek7
6/14/2011, 05:32 AM
Yeah, I did read that and unfortunately I cannot provide any insight. Its Mark Cuban, if anyone can provide insight to Cuban, then they may just be Nostradamus

ouleaf
6/14/2011, 09:31 AM
No clue either on what Cuban will do in terms of championship bling. I hope he does a ring, but am intrigued as to what else he could come up with? Maybe he'll do both?

WE ARE dirtburglars
6/14/2011, 09:58 AM
Anyone hear about the $90,000 bottle of booze he brought to the Miami nightclub the night they won it all? That man knows how to party!

Ruf/Nek7
6/14/2011, 11:49 AM
I'm sure he had a special savings account specifically for finals celebration...its been accruing for quite some time