PDA

View Full Version : ESPN College Football Awards (Broyles needs some fan votes)

3rdgensooner
12/8/2010, 10:58 AM
Finalists for The Home Depot College Football Awards – live on Thursday, Dec. 9, at 7 p.m. ET on ESPN – were announced today during The Home Depot College Football Awards Nomination Special on ESPNU. Quarterbacks Andrew Luck of Stanford, Kellen Moore of Boise State and Cam Newton of Auburn highlight the list of outstanding student-athletes in contention. The 20th annual awards show, hosted by ESPN’s Chris Fowler, Lee Corso, Kirk Herbstreit and Desmond Howard, with reporting from Wendi Nix, will originate from the Atlantic Dance Hall at Disney’s BoardWalk at the Walt Disney World Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Fla.

New for 2010. The Home Depot College Football Awards Roundtable Special, a discussion about the year in college football with top award finalists hosted by Tom Rinaldi, will air on Thursday, Dec. 9 at 5 p.m. on ESPNU. The Home Depot College Football Awards Red Carpet Show will follow at 6 p.m. on ESPNU and after the show at 9 p.m. Hosts Wendi Nix, Tom Rinaldi and Rob Stone will preview the awards from the red carpet and conduct interviews with athletes and presenters.

The Home Depot ESPNU College Football Awards will feature the live presentation of nine player awards; the NCFAA (National College Football Awards Association) Contribution to College Football Award to Lee Corso; Disney Spirit Award; The Home Depot Coach of the Year Award; AllState Good Hands Award; and student-athletes selected to the Walter Camp All-America Team.

Fans can visit the show’s dedicated Web site at www.espncollegefootballawards.com (http://www.espncollegefootballawards.com) to find the latest college football awards news, including show details, previous winners, fan voting, a photo gallery and video highlights.

http://www.espncollegefootballawards.com/images/mainpic.jpg
Stanford’s Andrew Luck (left), Boise State’s Kellen Moore (middle) and Cam Newton of
Auburn highlight the list of outstanding student-athletes.

The finalists for The Home Depot College Football Awards are waiting for your VOTE (http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/post/_/id/5841911/vote-college-football-best), America. Quarterbacks Andrew Luck of Stanford, Kellen Moore of Boise State and Cam Newton of Auburn are among the list of outstanding student-athletes in contention. The 20th annual awards show, hosted by ESPN’s Chris Fowler, Lee Corso, Kirk Herbstreit and Desmond Howard, with reporting from Wendi Nix, will originate from the Atlantic Dance Hall at Disney’s BoardWalk at the Walt Disney World Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Fla. Who’s your vote to earn the coveted Davey O’Brien Award (http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/post/_/id/5842549/who-win-obrien-award) for best QB? Or the Maxwell Award (http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/post/_/id/5841911/vote-college-football-best) for best all-around player? Cast your vote today! (http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/post/_/id/5841911/vote-college-football-best)

bmjlr
12/8/2010, 11:09 AM
I voted and yikes, he is getting beat badly...he needs a ton of help with voting.

Caboose
12/8/2010, 11:16 AM
How is John Clay even a candidate for the Doak Walker Award? 900 yards rushing? Who cares?

badger
12/8/2010, 11:31 AM
I voted against the SEC every time I could, but doesn't appear to matter. Broyles is losing in the state of Oklahoma, guys. Come on, go vote!

(and yes, I just voted... and if you don't want to leave the site, at least click the link in my sig and go vote on the All-SF.com poll)

85sooners
12/8/2010, 01:17 PM
:hot:

Soonerfan88
12/8/2010, 01:20 PM
Voted but he needs lots of help from the Sooner Nation.

...sooner
12/8/2010, 02:06 PM
badg- where is this article i can read about TMG with OU?

edit: never mind i read it wrong. hahahaa

2121Sooner
12/8/2010, 02:07 PM
3G, that was a very well thought out and typed post.

Color me impressed. And I always knew you were a Boise State fan.....

3rdgensooner
12/8/2010, 02:30 PM
3G, that was a very well thought out and typed post.

Color me impressed. And I always knew you were a Boise State fan.....
I'm a fan of them, for him to poop on.

http://www.laughstub.com/images/comedians/Triumph-the-Insult-Comic-Dog.jpg

kelloggOUballa
12/8/2010, 04:34 PM
I don't get it, Broyles is far and away a better receiver than Blackmon, and will continue to be in the NFL.

CowboyMRW
12/8/2010, 04:41 PM
I don't get it, Broyles is far and away a better receiver than Blackmon, and will continue to be in the NFL.

Please do tell why you think so, especially in both's respective future careers

badger
12/8/2010, 04:52 PM

Q: How are Sooners and Cowboys alike?
A: Both applied to OU.

Thus, Broyles > Blackmon:P

Seriously though, it might have been because of Blackmon's injury, but it seemed like your AARP quarterback (I will now refrain from future Weeden is old jokes) did all of the work to get the ball to Blackmon, then Blackmon fell over and didn't make additional moves to get more yards. Broyles usually has to do work to get his receptions, whereas Blackmon seems to have a perfect between-the-numbers pass every time he makes a catch.

Plus, would Blackmon have done what Broyles did to get the ball back after the turnover in the championship game? Broyles does everything, something NFL teams really desire in this era of diva receivers

BoulderSooner79
12/8/2010, 04:53 PM
Any CFB coach would love to have either Broyles or Blackmon.

2121Sooner
12/8/2010, 04:57 PM

Broyles is gonna be like Marvin Harrison minus the weapons charge.

Blackmon is Hartley Dykes 2.0

CowboyMRW
12/8/2010, 04:59 PM
Broyles is gonna be like Marvin Harrison minus the weapons charge.

Blackmon is Hartley Dykes 2.0

Are you just basing this off of where they go to school?
At least Badger explained her reasoning

madillsoonerfan5353
12/8/2010, 05:01 PM
Broyles is a great play, but so is blackmon IMO.

:gary:

CowboyMRW
12/8/2010, 05:03 PM
Q: How are Sooners and Cowboys alike?
A: Both applied to OU.

Thus, Broyles > Blackmon:P

Seriously though, it might have been because of Blackmon's injury, but it seemed like your AARP quarterback (I will now refrain from future Weeden is old jokes) did all of the work to get the ball to Blackmon, then Blackmon fell over and didn't make additional moves to get more yards. Broyles usually has to do work to get his receptions, whereas Blackmon seems to have a perfect between-the-numbers pass every time he makes a catch.

Plus, would Blackmon have done what Broyles did to get the ball back after the turnover in the championship game? Broyles does everything, something NFL teams really desire in this era of diva receivers

Doesn't most of Broyles catches come off the screen passes thrown to him when he is in the slot. The way that most teams defend that makes it very easy to get 8 yards a pop. He also had only 64 yards on what is one of the worst pass coverages in the Big 12. NFL teams also really desire people who have the character of JB. (Both receivers have made one bad choice in their life so let's just drop that part about it) Not to mention they love a hard worker which no one worked harder this off season than him, and it shows on the field.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/8/2010, 05:04 PM
sometimes, sooner fans shouldn't let their fandom blind their eyes

CowboyMRW
12/8/2010, 05:06 PM
I know I'm on a OU website so most of you are going to just say Broyles deserves the Biletnikoff, but JB set records this year. He was mr. consistent. Something not even Crabtree or Fitzgerald or Bryant did in college. I'm not saying that he's better the last 2 I just mentioned, just putting it into perspective what he's done this season

2121Sooner
12/8/2010, 05:10 PM
Are you just basing this off of where they go to school?
At least Badger explained her reasoning

Yes. That is my only reason. *sarcasm*

Broyles reminds me of Marvin Harrison. Great routes, great hands, and doesnt take a bunch of punishment when it comes to the season. Not the most physically gifted receiver in the league, but I would take him over Blackmon sheerly because I know what I get on the field and off.

Blackmon was a beast and probably the most physically gifted receiver in the country and a lot of his big plays were just that, balls that he just outphysicaled (not sure if that is a word) the DB's and then made a bigger play out of the catch. Go to the NFL and that doesnt happen.

You might disagree, but that is my logic. And Marvin Harrison didnt go to OU.

85sooners
12/8/2010, 05:13 PM
Dez Bryant would bend blackmond over and have his way:eek:

3rdgensooner
12/8/2010, 05:14 PM
MRW, do you somehow get notified immediately anytime a post is made that pertains to the pokes?

badger
12/8/2010, 05:14 PM
Come on Cowboy, you can't be Mr. Consistent when you're forced to sit out a game and you are injured. Consistency means being able to depend on players every game to step up when your team needs you most. You sit out, or are hampered by a bum ankle (knee? foot? leg? whatever his injury was), you aren't dependable, you aren't consistent.

I will give you this though - he's Mr. Under-the-Radar, coming out from behind Dez's shadow and having a career season. That's exactly what award issuers look for, so yeah, JB's probably gonna win it.

CowboyMRW
12/8/2010, 05:16 PM
Yes. That is my only reason. *sarcasm*

Broyles reminds me of Marvin Harrison. Great routes, great hands, and doesnt take a bunch of punishment when it comes to the season. Not the most physically gifted receiver in the league, but I would take him over Blackmon sheerly because I know what I get on the field and off.

Blackmon was a beast and probably the most physically gifted receiver in the country and a lot of his big plays were just that, balls that he just outphysicaled (not sure if that is a word) the DB's and then made a bigger play out of the catch. Go to the NFL and that doesnt happen.

You might disagree, but that is my logic. And Marvin Harrison didnt go to OU.

Blackmon is not even close to the most physically gifted receiver in college. He worked hard to be where he is now and he puts a lot of time into game prep. The guy runs good routes, can go across the middle, and is close to a sure catch when it is around him. (Couple drops the last 2 games really hurt me in fantasy though :D )
People are calling Amukamara the top corner in the nation and Blackmon had a great game against him. The guy just flat out can play.

Note: This is not at all a bash on Broyles from me. The guy can obviously play and was really sad that he decommited from us as the guy can affect the game so many ways.

CowboyMRW
12/8/2010, 05:17 PM
MRW, do you somehow get notified immediately anytime a post is made that pertains to the pokes?

No, I just spend a lot of time here. I like other people's websites more then my own most times

CowboyMRW
12/8/2010, 05:19 PM
Come on Cowboy, you can't be Mr. Consistent when you're forced to sit out a game and you are injured. Consistency means being able to depend on players every game to step up when your team needs you most. You sit out, or are hampered by a bum ankle (knee? foot? leg? whatever his injury was), you aren't dependable, you aren't consistent.

I will give you this though - he's Mr. Under-the-Radar, coming out from behind Dez's shadow and having a career season. That's exactly what award issuers look for, so yeah, JB's probably gonna win it.

Over 100 yds every game and a td in every game sounds like Mr. Consistent to me. The guy still had a say in the outcome of the Bedlam game even at 90%.

cccasooner2
12/8/2010, 05:21 PM
Dez Bryant would bend blackmond over and have his way:eek:

Wow, a sentence with words even. :D

picasso
12/8/2010, 05:24 PM
Blackmon is not even close to the most physically gifted receiver in college. He worked hard to be where he is now and he puts a lot of time into game prep. The guy runs good routes, can go across the middle, and is close to a sure catch when it is around him. (Couple drops the last 2 games really hurt me in fantasy though :D )
People are calling Amukamara the top corner in the nation and Blackmon had a great game against him. The guy just flat out can play.

Note: This is not at all a bash on Broyles from me. The guy can obviously play and was really sad that he decommited from us as the guy can affect the game so many ways.

You've got orange blinders on if you think Broyles isn't in the same league as Blackmon.
He's had one fantastic year. Broyles has been money for 3 solid seasons now.

Calm down on the arrogance.

badger
12/8/2010, 05:26 PM
Over 100 yds every game and a td in every game sounds like Mr. Consistent to me. The guy still had a say in the outcome of the OU-OSU game even at 90%.

I'll give you that, he did get more than 100 yards per game... this year. As for the year before...
http://i56.tinypic.com/otm3dd.png

You know what NFL gms loathe most about free agency? Contract years, years before players are due to sign new contracts that all of the sudden, their production is through the roof and they demand money based off of the most recent season's production, not over... what's the word? Oh yeah - consistency.

I'm not trying to poke (nyuck nyuck nyuck) fun at your awesome receiver. I just question whether we would expect your "Mr. Consistent" to continue to be productive year-in, year-out, or if this is in fact his "contract year."

BoulderSooner79
Broyles is polished. Great hands, great routes, great moves, great body control, elusive runner, excellent punt returner. He doesn't often catch jump balls in single coverage because OU doesn't throw those very often. But Broyles has shown he can do that too on the rare occasion we try it. About the only thing he can't do is be bigger. His yds/catch stats were limited a bit this year due to an ankle injury that has hampered him since at least the Mizzou game. He couldn't get the YAC on the short stuff and we threw less to him downfield due to the ankle.

No dings against Blackmon, he was on fire all year, just putting my opinion on Broyles out there. Blackmon also had the ankle problem, but only for 1.5 games. He benefitted greatly from the pokes willingness to throw him long jump balls multiple times per game - and for good reason.

CowboyMRW
You've got orange blinders on if you think Broyles isn't in the same league as Blackmon.
He's had one fantastic year. Broyles has been money for 3 solid seasons now.

Calm down on the arrogance.

When did I say that Broyles wasn't in the same league. I said Broyles was a game changer and that he was very good. I'm not that dumb to come over and bash on an OU player on their own site. I'm just saying that JB deserves the award and it should be a no-brainer for this year.

CowboyMRW
12/8/2010, 05:31 PM
I'll give you that, he did get more than 100 yards per game... this year. As for the year before...
http://i56.tinypic.com/otm3dd.png

You know what NFL gms loathe most about free agency? Contract years, years before players are due to sign new contracts that all of the sudden, their production is through the roof and they demand money based off of the most recent season's production, not over... what's the word? Oh yeah - consistency.

I'm not trying to poke (nyuck nyuck nyuck) fun at your awesome receiver. I just question whether we would expect your "Mr. Consistent" to continue to be productive year-in, year-out, or if this is in fact his "contract year."

I know what your saying Badger and I repect it. I really do think that he is just going to get better though. Look at the amount of work that he put in this offseason to get better. He sees how it paid off and how it will keep paying off into his future career. To be consistent, you have to start somewhere. This year is just a starting point for him.

CowboyMRW
12/8/2010, 05:34 PM
Broyles is polished. Great hands, great routes, great moves, great body control, elusive runner, excellent punt returner. He doesn't often catch jump balls in single coverage because OU doesn't throw those very often. But Broyles has shown he can do that too on the rare occasion we try it. About the only thing he can't do is be bigger. His yds/catch stats were limited a bit this year due to an ankle injury that has hampered him since at least the Mizzou game. He couldn't get the YAC on the short stuff and we threw less to him downfield due to the ankle.

No dings against Blackmon, he was on fire all year, just putting my opinion on Broyles out there. Blackmon also had the ankle problem, but only for 1.5 games. He benefitted greatly from the pokes willingness to throw him long jump balls multiple times per game - and for good reason.

No doubt about it, Broyles is a player. It's nice to see when people can make arguments for 2 kids from the state of Oklahoma to win a national award like the Biletnikoff

badger
12/8/2010, 05:36 PM
It's all good Cowboy. Stick around while. I miss having some resident orange around and whorns aren't gonna show their faces after a 5-7 season. :D

We used to have the real Stunned Aggie, NYCPoke and OSUAggie. Alas, no more :(

CowboyMRW
12/8/2010, 05:48 PM
It's all good Cowboy. Stick around while. I miss having some resident orange around and whorns aren't gonna show their faces after a 5-7 season. :D

We used to have the real Stunned Aggie, NYCPoke and OSUAggie. Alas, no more :(

I've heard great things about NYCPoke. I've seen OSUAggie here some

GKeeper316
12/8/2010, 05:52 PM
how the hell is nebraska's kicker not nominated???

dude's money

badger
12/8/2010, 05:55 PM
Hard to win championships when you're on the sideline :D

Through no fault of his own, of course. Hard to get on the field when your top offensive players keep fumbling and get sacked.