PDA

View Full Version : Want to know how 1-dimensional the UCONN attack will be?

SoonerShay
12/7/2010, 04:43 PM
The last 2 years UCONN has passed for 4556 yards and 26 touchdowns. That includes any fakes or half back passes, trick plays etc.

This year Landry passed for 4289 yards and 35 touchdowns...

Yes you are reading that right. Landry by himself is almost out passed the entire UCONN team the last 2 years combined.

Saw this stat on a UCONN chat log, where UCONN fans were of course asking about the Cincy game. And putting all their faith in that close game against a like opponent.

budbarrybob
12/7/2010, 04:44 PM
after the Fiesta Bowl it won't be almost ;)

BoulderSooner79
12/7/2010, 04:47 PM
I like the way our secondary covers receivers and tackles in space. I think we'll be fine if we load the box against the run and let them try to beat us with the pass.

KantoSooner
12/7/2010, 04:51 PM
Attack the QB. Relentlessly. When he gets frazzled and they sit him down for fresh legs, attack the replacement. Relentlessly. We've got the big, fast, high RPM ends and linebackers. Use them.

PalmBeachSooner
12/7/2010, 04:54 PM
Attack the QB. Relentlessly. When he gets frazzled and they sit him down for fresh legs, attack the replacement. Relentlessly. We've got the big, fast, high RPM ends and linebackers. Use them.

If UCONN actually threw the ball but since they run the ball eleventy-thousand times a quarter, it's pretty hard to get any hits on the QB unless he's running the option.

KantoSooner
12/7/2010, 05:37 PM
I don't think the play will develop that fast. Go for penetration of their backfield. Clobber the QB = Good. Get the handoff about the same time as the RB? That's okay, too.
my point is that we've got bigger, stronger, faster guys. Use them to disrupt rather than to try and create a hermetic seal.

85sooners
12/7/2010, 05:40 PM
:pop:

I Am Right
12/7/2010, 07:29 PM
Man, this is a set up!

tcrb
12/7/2010, 09:08 PM
I hope OUr team doesn't get as full of themselves as OUr fans.

MyT Oklahoma
12/7/2010, 09:41 PM

I just hope that the OU team which shows up for this year's Fiesta Bowl learned something from the 2007 and 2008 Fiesta Bowls. In other words, prepare for the game properly and then play hard for four quarters.

If the Sooners take care of business then they will take care of UConn. ;)

SoonerShay
12/7/2010, 09:47 PM

Super! Tell us sheep how we should act O realist fan.

GKeeper316
12/7/2010, 09:51 PM
it'll be no dimensional come jan 1! i dont think they've ever seen a shut down defense like OU's

BigRed47
12/7/2010, 09:51 PM
From what I understand UConn has an almost all-pro offensive line. Getting through that line to QB on a running play would be stupid. I hope we concentrate on stuffing the running back. What is impressive is seeing them run the ball when everyone on the other team knows that is what they are going to do and they do it anyway.

In their last 5 wins these are there carries and run totals.

West Va. 41-112 2.73
Pittsburg 46-249 5.41
Syracuse 38-156 4.10
Cincinati 52-236 4.53
USF 38-120 3.15

The West Va and USF games aren't impressive but running 79 running plays sure uses clock and that is their intention. Keeping it away from the other teams offense.

VA Sooner
12/7/2010, 09:57 PM
We got some key guys back from injury at the perfect time of our season and it helped us shore up the middle. With the exception of Helu in the first quarter, defense was able to shut down Neb... and they got better and better as the game went on.

Keep that intensity up for the bowl game... make us proud and bring us that Fiesta Bowl Trophy.

cyclonesooner
12/7/2010, 11:54 PM
The question is. Will we give up another 50-70 yd. run for a touchdown ?

CrimsonCommando
12/8/2010, 12:43 AM
I'm hoping we see a lot of Box penetration.

Okie35
12/8/2010, 12:48 AM
From what I understand UConn has an almost all-pro offensive line. Getting through that line to QB on a running play would be stupid. I hope we concentrate on stuffing the running back. What is impressive is seeing them run the ball when everyone on the other team knows that is what they are going to do and they do it anyway.

West Va. 41-112 2.73
Pittsburg 46-249 5.41
Syracuse 38-156 4.10
Cincinati 52-236 4.53
USF 38-120 3.15

The West Va and USF games aren't impressive but running 79 running plays sure uses clock and that is their intention. Keeping it away from the other teams offense.

Thats why I said in another thread that the game will be close for a while then we'll just blow the doors off mid 2nd quarter till the end of the game. We have more depth than them and if we run 80+ plays their 3rd string will even be gassed.

BermudaSooner
12/8/2010, 05:05 AM

That never gets old

pweitkem
12/8/2010, 07:32 AM
Man, this is a set up!

No way WVU can run the ball against OU. They have never seen the speed OU has on defense.... oh wait.

I hope the team is taking UConn seriously.

tcrb
12/8/2010, 08:48 AM
Super! Tell us sheep how we should act O realist fan.

Shay...not sure how you interpret my post as telling anyone how they should act, or why it got your panties bunched up. I'm simply saying that I hope OUr players dont get the big head and begin to think that they all they have to do is to walk into Glendale and step on the field and the W will go up on the board.

Fans can talk smack and quote stats all they want, but the game still has to be played, and I'm hoping that OUr team keeps their focus and doesn't listen to how great the fans and the media think they are , and how much better they are than UConn. I think we all remember how things worked out in 2007 when OU lost to "second tier" tater state and 2008 when got our arses kicked by a supposedly vastly inferior Big East Champion.

BigTime1
12/8/2010, 09:34 AM
I agree I think we commit to the run 100% because our secondary has been fine against passing teams theyll be more than fine against a complete run team...the db's should be able to lockup and just out athlete their wr's because with that many in the box the qb's not gonna have long to get rid of it...mix in a little zone from time to time and I think were gonna be just fine

Sooners78
12/8/2010, 09:44 AM

Yep, Box will be huge in this game against the run. Ronnell, Mcfarland, Alexander, and Macon on the line have also been great. I'll be sad to see Macon graduate. I really want to see Lewis stay at DE where he's more effective. What's the deal with King? He looked good against Stanford last year, but haven't seen him much. The young DL are coming around, but we still need depth there.

Jacie
12/8/2010, 10:07 AM
The last 2 years UCONN has passed for 4556 yards and 26 touchdowns. That includes any fakes or half back passes, trick plays etc.

This year Landry passed for 4289 yards and 35 touchdowns...

Yes you are reading that right. Landry by himself is almost out passed the entire UCONN team the last 2 years combined.

I am not disagreeing with your premise, just pointing out that using only the statistics here is not enough to support it. If the huskies are indeed one-dimensional, you should present a case that draws a comparison between their running yardage versus passing yardage. All the numbers you presented do is make a case for the Sooners being twice as prolific as UConn at throwing the ball . . .

Jello Biafra
12/8/2010, 10:26 AM

West Va. 41-112 2.73
Pittsburg 46-249 5.41
Syracuse 38-156 4.10
Cincinati 52-236 4.53
USF 38-120 3.15

so, how many rushes do you think they attempt when they go down by 21 points early in the 2nd half?