The_Red_Patriot
12/7/2010, 04:10 PM
www.1430thebuzz.com

Being introduced as the HC of Indiana

Soonerntxs
12/7/2010, 04:13 PM
I knew it, OUDAVID is BOB!

BOB Smith that is, the guy that cleans the bathrooms in the OU HC office!:D

GOOD CALL SIR! NOW can you see when my sideline Pass will be ready, I requested it years ago..;)

badger
12/7/2010, 04:22 PM
They announced his contract terms before the presser

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20101207_92_0_Itappe906742)

Spoiler: Seven years, $1.2 mil per

soonerz
12/7/2010, 04:33 PM
Maybe I missed it, but is Patton for sure going with him?

FriscoTXsooner
12/7/2010, 04:38 PM
It's on the Big Ten network Direct TV channel 610

oumartin
12/7/2010, 04:46 PM
I think they made him shave his stache.

NormanPride
12/7/2010, 04:53 PM
Good luck with those facilities, coach.

cccasooner2
12/7/2010, 05:02 PM
Meh, I don't follow Indiana. I guarantee Wilson will not defeat the Golden Gophers next season. :)

dynersooner
12/7/2010, 05:05 PM
if wilson is worth his salt as a HC, he should go 7-5 next season. 6-6 at worst.

you gotta be able to hold home court in ANY conf youre in.

SoonerMom2
12/7/2010, 05:14 PM
Indiana go 7-5 next year? That I want to see and if Wilson does that then he should get coach of the year in the Big 10! Only remember Indiana being good in football a couple of times and I grew up in Ohio. They were always marked as a sure win for The OSU. Loved to see Wilson beat The OSU and hear my one Uncle crying! :)

cantwait48
12/7/2010, 05:25 PM
this program has never really done anything, their all time winning percentage is like .424. If he goes 7-5 we should have fired stoops and hired him ourselves

tfoolry
12/7/2010, 05:34 PM
He must defend the rock.

85sooners
12/7/2010, 05:37 PM
:confused:

cvsooner
12/7/2010, 05:45 PM
Wilson shaved his mustache months ago.

I found this interesting on his bio...despite a couple of typos, it's pretty impressive:

Wilson just completed his ninth successful regular season at Oklahoma University, helping Coach Bob Stoops lead the Sooners to victory over Nebraska in the Big 12 title game. Oklahoma played in a major bowl game in each of the nine seasons during Wilson's tenure.

He led three of the most productive offenses in college football history in 2003, 2007 and 2008. The 2008 offense set NCAA records by scoring 60 or more points in five straight games and 716 for the season.

Some of Wilson's prominent pupils include St. Louis Rams quarterback Sam Bradford, Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson, Cincinnati Bengals tight end Jermaine Gresham, Indianapolis Colts tight end Brody Eldridge, Tampa Bay Buccaneers offensive lineman Davin Jospeh and Washington Redskins offensive lineman Jammal Brown.

In charge of the offensive line at Oklahoma for four years and tight ends and fullbacks for the last five, Wilson served as position coach for three All-Americans, an Outland Trophy Winner (Brown), a Mackey Award Finalist (Gresham) and a two-time Rimington Trophy Finalist (Vince Carter). In 2007, three of Wilson's tight ends, Gresham, Eldridge and Joe Jon Finley, earned All-Big 12 honors.

In 2010, two of his offensive lineman became first round picks in the NFL Draft (Davin Joseph and Brown), as did tight end Gresham. In his nine years at Oklahoma, 22 players on the offensive side of the ball went on to get drafted into the NFL, including seven first-round selections, with three going among the first 10 picks and two in the top five.

NorCal Sooner
12/7/2010, 06:44 PM
Good luck with those facilities, coach.

I thought they had new updated facilities. Am I wrong on this?

cccasooner2
12/7/2010, 06:51 PM

No, you were correct.

http://www.nansemondriverworks.com/lesley/gd43_shack.gif

AlboSooner
12/7/2010, 06:55 PM
I don't know man. You go from having fewer responsibilities, having great players, getting great exposure, making $500,000/year to having all the responsibilities, having average players, no exposure, having to assemble a staff, playing second fiddle to basketball, making $1.2 million/year.

Doesn't sound like an offer he couldn't refuse. I'd refuse it in a heartbeat.

AlboSooner
12/7/2010, 07:03 PM
Then the cost of living is higher in Indiana. It's cold there. Indiana has no fan support for football, and you are the Kansas of the Big ten. Id stay in Norman, but good luck to him. I doubt he will be involved in the ball game.

Leroy Lizard
12/7/2010, 07:15 PM
I don't know man. You go from having fewer responsibilities, having great players, getting great exposure, making $500,000/year to having all the responsibilities, having average players, no exposure, having to assemble a staff, playing second fiddle to basketball, making $1.2 million/year.

Doesn't sound like an offer he couldn't refuse. I'd refuse it in a heartbeat.

Some people like more responsibilities and more money. Otherwise we wouldn't even have large companies (or small ones for that matter).

Piware
12/7/2010, 07:28 PM
Is he taking the bubble screens with him?

waynepayne
12/7/2010, 07:31 PM
Then the cost of living is higher in Indiana. It's cold there. Indiana has no fan support for football, and you are the Kansas of the Big ten. Id stay in Norman, but good luck to him. I doubt he will be involved in the ball game.

Beautiful city and campus, BCS conference, more $ and if he ever wants bigger and better he needs to start somewhere. And good grief Albie have you stepped outside?

AlboSooner
12/7/2010, 07:31 PM
Some people like more responsibilities and more money. Otherwise we wouldn't even have large companies (or small ones for that matter).

some people do. props for the astute observation.

Okla-homey
12/7/2010, 07:37 PM
this program has never really done anything, their all time winning percentage is like .424. If he goes 7-5 we should have fired stoops and hired him ourselves

But their uni's look remarkably like OUrs.

AlboSooner
12/7/2010, 07:37 PM
Beautiful city and campus, BCS conference, more $ and if he ever wants bigger and better he needs to start somewhere. And good grief Albie have you stepped outside?

I get these points, however when compared to what he had at OU, it didn't sound like an offer he couldn't refuse. The paper said they made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

I think it was an OK offer, but definitely refutable. With championship incentives and bowl game wins, that $430,000 he was making here, could easily reach $600,000. Did I mention the Oklahoma low taxes and low cost of living?

I wish him the best, but the offer was not one he could not refuse.

silverwheels
12/7/2010, 07:42 PM
But their uni's look remarkably like OUrs.

Not anymore. They changed them this year to some God-awful monstrosities.

cvsooner
12/7/2010, 07:43 PM
Well, somehow having his salary go up by a factor of 2.4 should offset any cost of living increase in Indiana. He's on the verge of being 50. It was probably a now or never deal, his kids are mostly young enough to move. And he's a Big Ten guy.

The Sooner program will miss him. He's been a good one, some noteworthy drives notwithstanding. Anybody who doesn't think we won't miss him, at least in the short term, expects their coaches to always make the right decisions and somehow magically always get players to be flawless.

delhalew
12/7/2010, 07:43 PM

Supposedly they have an administration that is fully committed to excelling in football. We take that for granted. I heard the AD on with Leach today. Their new training facility is the largest in the country.

Any coach worth a damn believes they are capable of building a successful program from a pile of dung...so, good for him.

waynepayne
12/7/2010, 07:46 PM
Supposedly they have an administration that is fully committed to excelling in football. We take that for granted. I heard the AD on with Leach today. Their new training facility is the largest in the country.

Any coach worth a damn believes they are capable of building a successful program from a pile of dung...so, good for him.

agreed.

soonercastor
12/7/2010, 08:02 PM
Oh come on, this is about opportunity; and this is a great opportunity and challenge for him. How could he say no? And the expectations aren't that great, an upset of tOSU and/or Michigan every now and then and a bowl game would probably make his seasons there "successful." People say they would refute the offer probably do so because they have been Sooner fans their whole lives.

SoonerMom2
12/7/2010, 08:05 PM
Think it is a great offer and a job that comes with lower expectations than the premier football schools in the Big 10.

slh1234
12/7/2010, 08:06 PM
Oh come on, this is about opportunity; and this is a great opportunity and challenge for him. How could he say no? And the expectations aren't that great, an upset of tOSU and/or Michigan every now and then and a bowl game would probably make his seasons there "successful." People say they would refute the offer probably do so because they have been Sooner fans their whole lives.

Agreed. Coaches don't often step into their dream job in thier first opportunity. Taking a doormat job like ... oh ... say ... OSU certainly worked out for a coach like Jimmy Johnson or Les "Let 'er rip" Miles to name a couple.

If I was in his position and wanted to move into an HC position, then a position like he took would be one to take. Make a name for yourself there, and move up!

Okie35
12/7/2010, 08:11 PM

thats hilarious lol Indiana ran those a lot too.

Leroy Lizard
12/7/2010, 08:12 PM
I get these points, however when compared to what he had at OU, it didn't sound like an offer he couldn't refuse. The paper said they made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

I think it was an OK offer, but definitely refutable. With championship incentives and bowl game wins, that $430,000 he was making here, could easily reach $600,000. Did I mention the Oklahoma low taxes and low cost of living?

I wish him the best, but the offer was not one he could not refuse.

The money was probably secondary. Here is his chance to head coach a Big 10 school. He would have to be truly devoted to the Sooner cause to refuse this opportunity. And since he isn't a Sooner alum, why would he?

I can't think of a better school to begin a head coaching career.

As for the restless fan base is concerned, could it get any worse than the crap we dished out to him on a yearly basis? I would take the job just to get away from our fans. :D

cccasooner2
12/7/2010, 08:14 PM

The Indiana state tax rate is 3.4%, in rough terms $41,000 << $600,000, enjoy it KW.

Leroy Lizard
12/7/2010, 08:15 PM
The Indiana state tax rate is 3.4%, in rough terms $41,000 << $600,000, enjoy it KW.

What is Oklahoma's tax rate?

tiki
12/7/2010, 08:19 PM
5%

MI Sooner
12/7/2010, 08:25 PM

His 1.2 mil is only equivalent to 1.17 mil in Norman. Sucker.

RedstickSooner
12/7/2010, 09:53 PM
They announced his contract terms before the presser

Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20101207_92_0_Itappe906742)

Spoiler: Seven years, $1.2 mil per

Er, whaaaaaa?

Isn't that more than Bob made in 2001 after winning the national championship? Hell, maybe it wasn't. I never can remember such things. But I could've sworn he was right around a million a year, and got bumped to two million a year so he'd be the highest paid college head coach.

Now, Wilson (who I like) coaches at a crapfest like Indiana, and he's pulling down 1.2 million. Boggles the mind.

HC salaries have taken off like a ponzi scheme.

swardboy
12/7/2010, 10:13 PM
Well, good luck Kevin. You made us the premier hurry-up offense in the nation. You took a wide receiver and took us BCS bowling. Sam couldn't have had a better environment to take him to #1 NFL draftee. And Landry's numbers are off the chart when compared to almost anyone else's. And two offensive top five first round picks last year. Yeah, I can see how the resume appealed to IU.

SoonerOX
12/7/2010, 10:20 PM

I hope he takes some of those bubble screens with him, just not all of them. Those screens went for good yardage at times.

JLEW1818
12/7/2010, 10:26 PM
honestly... I think he made a horrible mistake.

I mean just look at Charlie Weis, he had ND

Rich Rod, just now getting it together at Michigan.

And those schools had the "name"

is Wilson really gonna get kids to come to Indiana? umm no.

bad move Coach W. sorry

All schools in the big12, Sec, Pac10, and Other big 10 teams are better coaching jobs than Indiana. period.

cvsooner
12/8/2010, 12:58 AM
Bad move: $8.4 million for the next seven years of your life.

I'd take that in a heartbeat.

Leroy Lizard
12/8/2010, 01:12 AM
honestly... I think he made a horrible mistake.

I mean just look at Charlie Weis, he had ND

Rich Rod, just now getting it together at Michigan.

And those schools had the "name"

is Wilson really gonna get kids to come to Indiana? umm no.

bad move Coach W. sorry

All schools in the big12, Sec, Pac10, and Other big 10 teams are better coaching jobs than Indiana. period.

Can you name a better opportunity?

You think taking over a juggernaut like Michigan is better?

Indiana has reasonable expectations and is evidently paying out handsomely. Pfffft.... take it!

MamaMia
12/8/2010, 08:27 AM
I missed it. Is he taking any other coaches, or do we know? Will he be here for the bowl game or not?

waynepayne
12/8/2010, 08:31 AM
I missed it. Is he taking any other coaches, or do we know? Will he be here for the bowl game or not?

I dont think he should.

He has a lot of work to do assembling his staff, recruiting, etc etc. He needs to get on with it an Indiana.

StormySooner-IN
12/8/2010, 10:23 AM
Then the cost of living is higher in Indiana. It's cold there. Indiana has no fan support for football, and you are the Kansas of the Big ten. Id stay in Norman, but good luck to him. I doubt he will be involved in the ball game.This is all true. Especially that cold part...

BigTime1
12/8/2010, 10:49 AM
can anybody see soonerscoop.com?????? they have an article with recruits reactions. if ya can let us know what theyre sayin

JLEW1818
12/8/2010, 12:16 PM
Don't get me wrong the money is well worth it.

But I'm talking about coaching job.

Look at Stoops for example. He came from Florida, a top DC in the Nation; to Oklahoma. Yes a team that was down, but had the winning tradition, and the name.

Stoops could be one of the few exceptions tho.

You have to start as a head coach somewhere i guess. So i might be being a little tough on Wilson.

OULenexaman
12/8/2010, 12:24 PM
nothing like trying to fill those big shoes left behind by the legendary Lee Corso.

Leroy Lizard
12/8/2010, 12:35 PM
Don't get me wrong the money is well worth it.

But I'm talking about coaching job.

Look at Stoops for example. He came from Florida, a top DC in the Nation; to Oklahoma. Yes a team that was down, but had the winning tradition, and the name.

Sure, but those positions are exceedingly rare and they often fail to work out. Rich Rod is finding that out. Look what happened to Randy Shannon. Gary Richt is probably going to be gone soon as well. OU had been down for so long that fan expectations were no longer what they were like under Gary Gibbs. And Stoops just happened to win a national title in his second year, which does tend to align everyone on your side.

Look at what has happened to Mack Brown: He took over a team that had bottomed out and has been very successful. People are all over him and it looks like the stress is taking its toll.

How long do you think Slick Rick is going to hold out in UCLA? Taking over a traditional power hasn't helped him one iota.

Meanwhile, Gary Patterson took over a traditional loser in TCU and is highly regarded.

cvsooner
12/8/2010, 12:39 PM
Exactly. Their expectations are pretty low, for now. Outside of the Colts, there hasn't been a lot of good football played in Indiana for a long time. Wilson is a definite upgrade, in a BCS high profile conference. I think he'll do well. If not, it'll cost them over eight million to get rid of him. Sweet.

KantoSooner
12/8/2010, 12:40 PM
Wilson's a bright guy and hopefully knows that what worked for him at OU is not on the table at IU. He's going to have to come with a way to recruit what he can and wring more out of them. No more top ten recruiting classes for the time being.
That said, expectations are low and if he starts putting together winning seasons, he'll be treated as a kind of god.
He coached at Northwestern, I'm pretty sure he knows what he's getting into.