PDA

View Full Version : ESPN sues * for info on conference realignment

ratherthanlater
12/7/2010, 04:00 PM
Found this while lurking on a uconn site....
http://www.courthousenews.com/2010/12/06/32323.htm

It would be interesting to see what took place.

ESPN Sues Longhorns on Big 12 Realignment
By JOE HARRIS
(CN) - ESPN says the University of Texas is playing games with sports station's FOIA request about plans to move the Longhorns out of the Big 12 Conference. Possible realignment of the Big 12, PAC 10 and Big 10 is big news, and the public is entitled to it, ESPN says, despite the UT's claim that the documents are protected from disclosure by attorney-client privilege.
ESPN and its reporter Paula Lavigne sued the University of Texas System, seeking declaratory judgment in Travis County Court, Austin.
Lavigne submitted a FOIA request on June 22, seeking any documents generated since May 1, including emails, fax, or telephone notes from UT officials, regarding membership realignment of the Big 12, Big 10 and PAC 10 conferences.
The UT refused, citing attorney-client privilege, and saying the attorney general, agreed.
"However, the arguments that the UT system asserted simply cannot apply to the vast bulk of information sought by ESPN, if any," the complaint states. "For example, the UT system claims that certain responsive information related to UT Austin President William Powers is not public information because it was not 'collected, assembled or maintained in connection of transaction of official business of' UT Austin, but rather in President Powers' capacity as Chair of the Big 12 Board of Directors. However, the UT system admits that President Powers holds his position as Chair of the Big 12 Board of Directors only by virtue of his Presidency of UT Austin and because UT Austin is a member of the Big 12 conference. Further, the fact that the Big 12 itself is not a governmental body is irrelevant. ESPN has requested the information from UT Austin, not the Big 12. UT Austin's membership in the Big 12 and/or the possibility of realignment has a substantial impact on UT Austin and relates to UT Austin's business, and therefore falls within the definition of public information. ... Additionally, the UT system's claim that much of the information and communication related to membership realignment of the Big 12 and other conferences is protected by the attorney-client privilege is internally inconsistent. It is inherent in the UT system's argument in its brief that much if not all of the alleged attorney-client privileged information was shared with the Big 12, thereby defeating the privilege."
Major conference athletic realignment dominated the headlines this summer, with Texas as a major player. Various reports had Texas preparing to move to the Big 10 or the PAC 10, which many analysts speculated could spell the end of the Big 12. Ultimately, Texas stayed put, with only Nebraska and Colorado moving out of the Big 12. Nebraska will begin playing in the Big 10 and Colorado will begin playing in the PAC 10 next year.
ESPN wants to see the documents. It is represented by Catherine Robb of Austin and Sedgwick, Detert, Moran & Arnold of Houston.

AlboSooner
12/7/2010, 04:03 PM
* is the root of all evil.

KantoSooner
12/7/2010, 04:15 PM
Whoever wrote the complaint for ESPN needs an extreme remedial writing course.
Paragraphs can be our friends!

budbarrybob
12/7/2010, 04:24 PM
* is the root of all evil.

new car, caviar, four star daydream. I think I'll buy me a football team...

bluedogok
12/7/2010, 04:31 PM
I wonder what this will affect the Whorn Network negotiations with ESPN...

PalmBeachSooner
12/7/2010, 04:52 PM
I wonder what this will affect the Whorn Network negotiations with ESPN...

it won't. They won't let hurt feelings get in the way of making mucho moolah.

waynepayne
12/7/2010, 05:01 PM
The love of * is the root of all evil.

fify
;)

soonerbub
12/7/2010, 05:09 PM
Sounds like espn at the very least is having second thoughts about handing over the cash without knowing all the facts.
http://images.sodahead.com/polls/000773407/polls_Web_I_m_Lovin_ItMcDs_Print_4132_657503_answe r_3_xlarge.jpeg

EatLeadCommie
12/7/2010, 05:09 PM
No doubt ESPN is hearing whispers from Nebraska and aTm that nudged them in this direction.

aTm still wants to go to the SEC. I've heard it could happen as soon as this summer.

SoonerMom2
12/7/2010, 05:11 PM
ATM thinks they will get a better deal in the SEC? What are they smoking down there?

Since the Big 10 said they are not going to look for any more schools to add, why would the SEC want to add more?

bluedogok
12/7/2010, 05:12 PM
it won't. They won't let hurt feelings get in the way of making mucho moolah.
It will during negotiations, they don't like others questioning them....but in the end you're right.

EatLeadCommie
12/7/2010, 05:15 PM
ATM thinks they will get a better deal in the SEC? What are they smoking down there?

Since the Big 10 said they are not going to look for any more schools to add, why would the SEC want to add more?

That's the only thing that doesn't make sense. When OU seemed like they were going to bolt with them, it made sense. 14 team SEC. But aTm would go it alone in this case, and I don't see the SEC poaching anybody else unless it's somebody from the ACC.

swardboy
12/7/2010, 05:22 PM

Paragraphs tend to get wiped out when copying and pasting for some reason. You can tell where they originally were by the shortened lines throughout the article. :)

Tigeman
12/7/2010, 05:38 PM
Something tells me the lawyers from Sedgwick, Detert, Moran & Arnold working on this case probably aren't UT grads :D

If it were, what a smack in the face. But then again, we all know Texas folks aren't exactly loyal :rolleyes:

85sooners
12/7/2010, 05:44 PM
:texan:

KantoSooner
12/7/2010, 05:55 PM
Paragraphs tend to get wiped out when copying and pasting for some reason. You can tell where they originally were by the shortened lines throughout the article. :)

Hmmm well, I'll grudgingly bow to your wisdom.

I just thought Texas attorneys were illiterate.

Seemed logical to me.

slh1234
12/7/2010, 08:00 PM

It looks like there are paragraphs in there, but when posting something that displays in HTML, the paragraph breaks aren't readily visible unless you add the additional line breaks - that doesn't always happen when doing a copy/paste onto a message board. But since some lines are significantly shorter in the display I have in my browser (and that will change depending on resolution and zoom), it looks like the writer is friends with paragraphs.

Edit: Sorry, I see someone else also responded to that.

soonerinkaty
12/7/2010, 08:13 PM
So, are they gonna get their **** pushed in by the legal heads as well?

MeMyself&Me
12/7/2010, 08:21 PM
So, are they gonna get their **** pushed in by the legal heads as well?

I don't know if the pun was intentional but I LMFAO!!!

o0Dan0o
12/7/2010, 08:39 PM
I wonder who has a bigger legal department, ESPN or UT? Both have 10's of millions (or more) to throw at litigation if need be.

Sounds kinda like clash of the titans to me...

Whet
12/7/2010, 09:36 PM
ESPN has Disney World!

Maybe they will create a "Longhorn Land" as part of the deal.

VA Sooner
12/7/2010, 09:47 PM
More stuff for the courts to deal with...

RedstickSooner
12/7/2010, 09:48 PM

That's what they WANT you to think.

SOFSooner
12/8/2010, 12:44 AM
I think that SEC would only take aTm if OU was going to switch leagues also. When OU said it would stay with the Big XII all their interest in aTm dwindled also. OU was the marquee team for that deal.