PDA

View Full Version : First Signature Wins for Stoops and Brown....

SteelClip49
12/7/2010, 05:22 AM
for Stoops I would say 2000 at home vs #1 Nebraska although #9 Texas and #2 Kansas State neutral and away were just as huge. 1999 at home against #6 Texas A&M was also very nice but considering finishing the October gauntlet with a win over #1 I think that would be the one win that made Stoops a national name.

Mack Brown has been around as Tulane's coach and UNC's coach before coming to Te*as. I would say his first signature game was a TIE in 1990 vs the eventual UPI Champion YellowJackets but at Texas, I can't really think of anything legit for him from 1998-much of 2004 until winning the 2005 Rose Bowl over Michigan.

What are your thoughts?

BudSooner
12/7/2010, 07:30 AM
That's easy.
Bob-63-14 ring any bells?

Mack-any Holiday bowl......j/k, I cannot think of one.

batonrougesooner
12/7/2010, 07:33 AM
I agree. 63-14 was about as signature as they come considering where the program had been.

batonrougesooner
12/7/2010, 07:34 AM
But you could also argue the ATM game his first year was his first signature win. OU hadn't done that to a team of any significance in quite some time.

fadada1
12/7/2010, 08:44 AM
But you could also argue the ATM game his first year was his first signature win. OU hadn't done that to a team of any significance in quite some time.

was my first thought as well. we were playing well up to that point, with some very close losses. but the a&m game, all seemed to come together on offense and defense. i don't think people were expecting it, but made a lot of folks take notice.

then 2000 happened......

TheLadiesMike
12/7/2010, 09:17 AM
For Mack I think the win at Ohio State in 2005 was pretty big and since they decided to soften their OOC he won't have many more regular season opportunities.

Dan Thompson
12/7/2010, 10:59 AM
Texas over USC in the Rose Bowl, in front of all the USC fans and annoucer Keith Jackson a very bias USC fan.

rekamrettuB
12/7/2010, 11:19 AM
If you look at Red October 2000, the greatest victory was the Nebraska win...no doubt. But, the 63-14 game spring boarded that team thru October. Let's say OU wins that game 27-14, do they have the confidence to roll off wins at KState and Nebraska? We will never know but the blow out of Texas gave that team some serious momentum and confidence going forward.

SoonerNutt
12/7/2010, 11:53 AM

Yes. This is where the "big game Bob" and "riverboat gambler" themes began, plus.. hellooooo? Ninja!

OUMallen
12/7/2010, 11:55 AM
for Stoops I would say 2000 at home vs #1 Nebraska although #9 Texas and #2 Kansas State neutral and away were just as huge. 1999 at home against #6 Texas A&M was also very nice but considering finishing the October gauntlet with a win over #1 I think that would be the one win that made Stoops a national name.

Mack Brown has been around as Tulane's coach and UNC's coach before coming to Te*as. I would say his first signature game was a TIE in 1990 vs the eventual UPI Champion YellowJackets but at Texas, I can't really think of anything legit for him from 1998-much of 2004 until winning the 2005 Rose Bowl over Michigan.

What are your thoughts?

You can't just ignore 63-14 as a *first* signature game.

Salt City Sooner
12/7/2010, 12:13 PM
For Mack I think the win at Ohio State in 2005 was pretty big and since they decided to soften their OOC he won't have many more regular season opportunities.
I'm certainly no 'horn fan, but they have been doing a respectable job recently in upgrading their future OOC's.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/7/2010, 12:15 PM
aTm win...

soonerboy_odanorth
12/7/2010, 12:27 PM
Agree the 1999 aTm win. It put everyone on notice. The shorthorns were just too arrogant to think the notice applied to them too and reaped their just reward for ignoring the warning.

cleller
12/7/2010, 02:53 PM
Agree the 1999 aTm win. It put everyone on notice. The shorthorns were just too arrogant to think the notice applied to them too and reaped their just reward for ignoring the warning.

Was at that game, and thoroughly enjoyed the whuppin we delivered. Was relaxed enough by half time to give the Aggie Band a standing ovation.

Whatever happened to Jamar Tombs?

85sooners
12/7/2010, 02:57 PM
63-14 close thread:)

badger
12/7/2010, 03:42 PM
David Boren canceled school for one game and will never cancel school for another game. THAT is your signature win, folks.

As for Mack daddy, I think it was their victory over us in 2005. It was at that point that you knew they were for real for once and not just an overrated team with their overrated recruits resulting in no championships and being Oklahoma's beyonce like usual... and Mack's signature win as Texas coach came when he stopped trying to coach Vince. Ironic, isn't it?

EatLeadCommie
12/7/2010, 03:56 PM
Texas over USC in the Rose Bowl, in front of all the USC fans and annoucer Keith Jackson a very bias USC fan.

There were more Texas fans than USC fans there. They were hungry for their first NC in 35 years.

EatLeadCommie
12/7/2010, 03:57 PM
I'm certainly no 'horn fan, but they have been doing a respectable job recently in upgrading their future OOC's.

That's because they know they'll be independent by then.