PDA

View Full Version : Tired of hearing about the "debacle in 2004" from Auburn fans...

jkjsooner
12/6/2010, 07:14 PM
Anyone else getting tired of hearing about the "debacle in 2004" from Auburn fans. I swear every single one of them mentions every time I hear one of them talk on the radio.

They just simply can't comphrehend that there were three deserving teams that year and one had to be left out and that can happen even to an SEC team. Frankly they had the lowest strength of schedule among the three and they have nobody to blame but themselves for that.

What SEC guys don't understand is that the difference between a Big 12/Big 10/PAC 10 schedule and an SEC schedule can easily be compensated by a tough OOC schedule.

We didn't show up to play against USC and the game snowballed away from us but that has nothing to do with Auburn or the choice that was made prior to that game being played. Auburn didn't exactly dominate against VT that year either.

If Auburn fans used that year to argue that there needed to be a playoff then I'd agree with them. Unfortunately, all they can say is that they should have been in there instead of OU, as if it's fair for OU (who had a higher SoS) to be left out but it's a debacle if Auburn gets left out.

I'm tired of those guys. As much as I hate how we got screwed in Oregon I'll be rooting for the Ducks.

2121Sooner
12/6/2010, 07:18 PM
TCU is going to start a thread called "The Debacle in 2010"

STFU already Auburn, maybe if you paid more money for your players in 2003/4 you would have been in the BCS Championship Game.

PDXsooner
12/6/2010, 07:24 PM
There's no such thing as a "debacle" -- it is what it is. How many deserving teams have been left out over the years? I wouldn't know where to start. There are endless years where a 1-loss team wins it all and several 1-loss teams never got a chance. Notre Dame in 93, Penn St in 94, and undefeated A&M never got a shot in 94, Utah in 03, Miami in 00, Oregon in 01...an undefeated OU in 73, undefeated OU in '47. I know I'm all over the map but here's the deal:

No one cares. No one has sympathy. Move on. Beat Oregon.

BoulderSooner79
12/6/2010, 07:25 PM
We got screwed in Oregon by the refs, not the ducks. I'm not one to whine about calls, but that game is the gold standard for terrible, game changing calls. Even UO fans that have 2 digits of IQ agree, although they might still think it's funny. Go ducks - stun the SEC bigots.

jkjsooner
12/6/2010, 07:35 PM
I get sick of the SEC talk. It's no longer about which conference is best. The talk is more like the SEC is in a different division altogether. It's absurd and getting worse every year.

I know we've lost to 2 SEC teams in the final game but only one team embarrassed us and it wasn't an SEC team. We played the other two in their home state (and we were severely banged up both times) and the games were close.

Craig James mentioned that Arkansas should go to the Big 12 because they could play for national titles in the Big 12. That's just absurd. Arkansas would be OU and UT's bitch in the Big 12. Apparently a mediocre SEC team would all of a sudden go undefeated in other conferences?

If the SEC was so great they would dominate in bowls yet that hasn't proven to be the case. The Big 10 has fared pretty well against the SEC over the years. (I use them because the bowl allignment matches Big 10 with SEC quite a lot.)

Tigeman
12/6/2010, 07:53 PM
Anyone else getting tired of hearing about the "debacle in 2004" from Auburn fans. I swear every single one of them mentions every time I hear one of them talk on the radio.

They just simply can't comphrehend that there were three deserving teams that year and one had to be left out and that can happen even to an SEC team. Frankly they had the lowest strength of schedule among the three and they have nobody to blame but themselves for that.

I'm tired of those guys. As much as I hate how we got screwed in Oregon I'll be rooting for the Ducks.

Can I say "I told you so" here? I kept saying over and over this would happen. Auburn is the SEC Aggie. Their fans are horrible. I don't know how Bama fans stand them.

I was once in Jasper, Alabama buying a boat. Me and the owner of the dealership, who was a Bama alum, began discussing football and our teams that year. Some random guys runs up and sticks his middle finger right in my face and starts screaming "F U SOONERS, we should have been there in 04' you GODDAMN SOB's, F U GUYS, TO HELL" I looked over at the owner and smiled after shoving the guys finger that was in my face away. I said "when you have more than 5 championships come talk to either of our schools....hell, when you have 2, come talk to us". He looked all pissed off and was about ready to hit me when the owner stepped in front and threw him out of the store. The owner looked over and said, "typical Auburn fan, I'm sorry". I said no, "I'm sorry you probably lost him as a customer". He countered "no worries, he was an auburn fan, that means he probably couldn't afford anything in here anyways". So I responded.... you mean like our Pokes? We both LOL'd. Thus began my hate for Auburn. :D

BajaOklahoma
12/6/2010, 07:56 PM
We got screwed in Oregon by the refs, not the ducks. I'm not one to whine about calls, but that game is the gold standard for terrible, game changing calls. Even UO fans that have 2 digits of IQ agree, although they might still think it's funny. Go ducks - stun the SEC bigots.

I'd go with the "missing field" call from the 1984 OU/texas as the gold Standard for poor refs.

MeMyself&Me
12/6/2010, 08:23 PM
Even UO fans that have 2 digits of IQ agree...

Every Oregon fan I've encountered was of this mindset and is why I can't hate on Oregon even after what happened. If you're man enough to accept that you shouldn't have gotten a win when you did, that's more than most fans can say.

And yes, I heard 'the debacle' comment on sat. radio and thought WTF! I'm a big believer in strength of schedule matters and get very annoyed when people intentionally treat that as irrelevant.

Soonrs
12/6/2010, 09:26 PM
I work in Birmingham, AL and I come across this argument a few times. Auburn would have made into the MNC game if they didn't drop Bowling Green and replace them with a Div II team. We picked up Bowling Green, beat them at home, and Bowling Green had an excellent season. Auburn simply did not want to take a chance with BU and they paid the price.

UTgradOUfan
12/6/2010, 09:47 PM
Sorry, this is way off topic.
But "missing field"? I gotta hear about that one. I have heard of us getting "Cisco'd" in the UT game and was there when K.Stansberry was robbed of an interception in the end zone in the rain. But if there is some other outrage out there (missing field) of which I am not familiar I would really like to know the story.
Thanks

JLEW1818
12/6/2010, 09:50 PM
what about the horns in 2010 ?

TVKaleen
12/6/2010, 10:24 PM
That '84 game should have been ours twice. The shorthorn back fumbled just a few plays before the non-interception. And that is a great candidate for the gold standard of bad reffing but the MU-CU 5th down is another great candidate for gold standard of bad reffing.

I personally think the Oregon game trumps '84 for just one reason. On both bad calls, and there were 2 game changers, the onside kick and there was a pass interference call where we actually tipped the ball at the line, there was instant reply. This modern marvel that should have correct both calls with incontrovertible proof. There was incontrovertible proof on both plays. You can see Patrick with ball in hand while Belloti's buddy was still looking for the ball in the pile and you could see our defensive lineman alter the trajectory of the ball. In both cases Dan Fouts, an Oregon alum and homer, was in shock that they were not overturned.

In spite of that, I haven't met an Oregon fan yet who didn't apologize to me for the crappy Pac-10 officiating, and I hate Auburn. So I have to say.. Go Ducks beat that team from the Slimy Excrement Conference.

SicEmBaylor
12/6/2010, 10:50 PM

What SEC guys don't understand is that the difference between a Big 12/Big 10/PAC 10 schedule and an SEC schedule can easily be compensated by a tough OOC schedule.

We didn't show up to play against USC and the game snowballed away from us but that has nothing to do with Auburn or the choice that was made prior to that game being played. Auburn didn't exactly dominate against VT that year either.

If Auburn fans used that year to argue that there needed to be a playoff then I'd agree with them. Unfortunately, all they can say is that they should have been in there instead of OU, as if it's fair for OU (who had a higher SoS) to be left out but it's a debacle if Auburn gets left out.

I'm not tired of it only because I avoid listening to SEC talk like the plague. I don't even know any Auburn fans so that helps as well.

What I do get tired of hearing about, however, is a playoff system.

Salt City Sooner
12/6/2010, 11:20 PM
I work in Birmingham, AL and I come across this argument a few times. Auburn would have made into the MNC game if they didn't drop Bowling Green and replace them with a Div II team. We picked up Bowling Green, beat them at home, and Bowling Green had an excellent season. Auburn simply did not want to take a chance with BU and they paid the price.
Auburn did not drop them. We offered to almost double what they were getting for that road trip & BGSU jumped on it. It ended up being a good move too, as they were the only OOC team on our slate that year who ended up w/ a winning record. It wasn't a case of our OOC schedule being that great, it was just that Auburn's was that bad.

Joe C. had to do some serious maneuvering to get it up to what it was too. Our original OOC slate that year was BGSU (OU swung that deal w/ the Falcons about a year before), Florida A&M, & Arkansas St.

The game w/ FAMU was contingent upon them attaining D-1 status (at the time IIRC a 15,000 avg. attendance was the requirement, & when it became apparent that it wasn't going to happen for them, Joe started talking to the Ducks. Thing is, they had a date w/ Nevada on the date we needed. In steps ESPN, who wants OU-UO to happen, & happen on ABC. In order to get Nevada to step aside, they offered to do what they could to get a replacement game for UN, & televise it on top of that (this ended up being a game vs. Buffalo).

Houston was a much less complicated deal. They were originally slated to play LSU. OU, wanting a scheule upgrade (UH was a bowl team the year before), called the Tigers, offered the switch for Arkie St., & LSU was only too happy to oblige.

yermom
12/7/2010, 12:01 AM
Oregon had just surprised Michigan before we played them. they looked like they were going to be really good that year

i don't really have any reservations pulling for the Ducks in this one. i really don't want Auburn to win this for so many reasons

TXBOOMER
12/7/2010, 12:05 AM
I will never cheer for a professional team to win the BCS championship. Therefore, I cannot cheer for either. F EM both!

yermom
12/7/2010, 12:20 AM
at least Oregon is there after ditching their criminal QB

Auburn is there paying someone else's