PDA

View Full Version : Will OU and Texas be competing for the same OC candidates . . . .

sluggo sooner
12/6/2010, 05:51 PM
. . . . and if so, which school will be the more attractive?

CrimsonRez
12/6/2010, 05:56 PM
I think Bob will promote from within and then bring in someone from outside to replace the person that got promoted.

oudavid1
12/6/2010, 05:56 PM
I think Bob will promote from within and then bring in someone from outside to replace the person that got promoted.

agreed.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/6/2010, 06:03 PM
Heupel or Cale G.?

47straight
12/6/2010, 06:10 PM
Heupel or Cale G.?

Cale's not expressed interest in climbing the ladder or the coaching rate race. Really likes what he does and is content with it.

NormanPride
12/6/2010, 06:13 PM
I hope we bring in a coach that just handles the offense, and not one that has position responsibilities as well. That hasn't worked well for that position in the past.

HBick
12/6/2010, 06:15 PM
Bob should just hire former HC's for every position ;-)

NorCal Sooner
12/6/2010, 06:15 PM
I think Stoops should give Heupel a shot.

budbarrybob
12/6/2010, 06:28 PM
If not Leach (which I don't think it would be) then Josh H.

Leroy Lizard
12/6/2010, 06:57 PM
Remember one difference between OU and Texas: Stoops will happily promote from within if he feels the new man is the right fit; Texas will feel they need to go after the big-name, five-star OC.

So this is just like recruiting season for them, and so they will launch into their Texas arrogance mode. Big names, big dollars, big headlines. And until September we will have to endure taunts from Horn fans about how they got the Big Enchilada as their OC and he is going to install an offense that will stomp us into oblivion.

We'll just go on winning.

DarrellZero
12/6/2010, 07:16 PM
. . . . and if so, which school will be the more attractive?

Uh, I dunno.

Leach ... became head coach
Mangino ... became head coach
Long ... ""
Wilson ... ""

Davis ... fard (Texan for "terminated")

swardboy
12/6/2010, 07:28 PM
I'm hoping for Heupel (if Stoops is confident he's ready) because I want the least adjustment possible to the offense. I love our hurry-up...in the right hands we should be unbeatable next year imho.

MeMyself&Me
12/6/2010, 08:25 PM
To answer your thread title question:

ONLY if Tejas is looking to hire one of OU's assistants to be OC.

Boooom!
12/6/2010, 08:28 PM
Bob should just hire former HC's for every position ;-)

Bring back Mangino!!! :D

SoonerKnight
12/6/2010, 11:47 PM
I agree bring Mangino back!!! He won BCS bowls too!!!! But who will take Wilson's place for the bowl game??????

TheLadiesMike
12/7/2010, 12:59 AM
I hope we bring in a coach that just handles the offense, and not one that has position responsibilities as well. That hasn't worked well for that position in the past.

Didn't Wilson oversee tight ends with Gresham, Eldridge, Finley, Hanna, and Ratterree? And Long oversee QBs with Hybl (last one to win a BCS game) and White, and recruited Bradford?

delhalew
12/7/2010, 01:16 AM
Heupel should have a great mix of philosophies to draw from. Starting with Leach and stretching to present. He has always been cool as a polar bear's toenails. I think his shot is elsewhere...considering how Bob works. Norvill is next in line.

Leroy Lizard
12/7/2010, 02:06 AM
Heal should have a great mix of philosophies to draw from. Starting with Leach and stretching to present. He has always been cool as a polar bear's toenails. I think his shot is elsewhere...considering how Bob works. Norvill is next in line.

Who the Hell is Heal?

yermom
12/7/2010, 02:08 AM
Didn't Wilson oversee tight ends with Gresham, Eldridge, Finley, Hanna, and Ratterree? And Long oversee QBs with Hybl (last one to win a BCS game) and White, and recruited Bradford?

we sniped Bradford from Leach though, didn't we?

not that he was probably too tough a sell...

delhalew
12/7/2010, 02:14 AM
Who the Hell is Heal?

My phone insists it is smarter than I am. Should be Heupel.

delhalew
12/7/2010, 02:16 AM
we sniped Bradford from Leach though, didn't we?

not that he was probably too tough a sell...

Yeah, Leach found him first, but we had him at hello.

Sooner_Tuf
12/7/2010, 02:31 AM
Nobody found Bradford, he's a legacy player. He was going to OU whether he played Football or not.

delhalew
12/7/2010, 02:33 AM
Nobody found Bradford, he's a legacy player. He was going to OU whether he played Football or not.

Call it what you want. Leach recruited him first, Then we took over. It's not that hard to understand is it.

MamaMia
12/7/2010, 03:41 AM
If its Heupel, then who do we get to coach the QBs?

SoonerStormchaser
12/7/2010, 03:46 AM
Mike Gundy...after he's fired from OSU.

Leroy Lizard
12/7/2010, 04:24 AM
Yeah, Leach found him first, but we had him at hello.

Hello? Yeah, we're still here.

Sooner70
12/7/2010, 06:24 AM
Texas people I've heard from are leaning toward Applewhite as their favorite for Longhorn OC.

cccasooner2
12/7/2010, 09:25 AM
Who the Hell is Heal?

Here he is, http://www.foxnews.com/images/266584/0_61_caveman.jpg

The colors say he favors OU. Being an OC is so easy that even a caveman could do it.

birddog
12/7/2010, 09:31 AM
mangino and bevo on the sideline.

i'll put my cash on mangino.

12/7/2010, 10:41 AM

The colors say he favors OU. Being an OC is so easy that even a caveman could do it.Do we allow moonlighting?

Taxman71
12/7/2010, 11:14 AM
It appears Stoops prefers assistants (esp. on offense) that he thinks will bloom into coordinators. This helps stability in the staff and program. The obvious exception is Gundy, but I think he is as much a link to OU former players and recruiting as anything else. Every other offensive coach appears prime to take over as O-Coordinator at some point in the future.

I would say the same may apply to defense with Bobby Jack Wright being the same exception to the rule as Gundy.

bluedogok
12/7/2010, 11:20 AM
Gundy seems to like his role and not interested in "moving up the ladder", this may be due to the fact that he has seen what his brother has gone through being an OC and Head Coach. Some people know what their limits are and are self aware enough to know what they want.

birddog
12/7/2010, 09:06 PM

The colors say he favors OU. Being an OC is so easy that even a caveman could do it.

pretty sure that's long time poster yermom.

12/8/2010, 12:11 AM
pretty sure that's long time poster yermom.Last time I saw yermom, he had more facial hairs than Geicoman.

thatmediadude
12/8/2010, 12:17 AM
It's gonna be Norvell, according to my inside sources of local media outlets.

cleller
12/8/2010, 08:03 AM
It's gonna be Norvell, according to my inside sources of local media outlets.

I can deal with that. Josh will be on the headset, and hopefully active in the offense.

LiveLaughLove
12/8/2010, 09:16 AM
Gundy seems to like his role and not interested in "moving up the ladder", this may be due to the fact that he has seen what his brother has gone through being an OC and Head Coach. Some people know what their limits are and are self aware enough to know what they want.

Has someone inside the program stated this publicly about Gundy?

I'm assuming you haven't personally spoken to him and he told you this.

I'm hearing this sort of stuff a lot, but it seems to me to be potentially something that we fans are saying so to have no guilt about wanting Josh over Cale in that role.

I, too, want Josh to become our OC soon, but I feel bad for Cale that he keeps getting stepped over when he has been a loyal Sooner and assistant for all of these years.

47straight
12/8/2010, 09:30 AM

I'm hearing this sort of stuff a lot, but it seems to me to be potentially something that we fans are saying so to have no guilt about wanting Josh over Cale in that role.

I, too, want Josh to become our OC soon, but I feel bad for Cale that he keeps getting stepped over when he has been a loyal Sooner and assistant for all of these years.

That's not the sort of thing you're ever going to hear a public official statement on. Stoops isn't ever going to say "Nah, you don't have to worry about Cale up and leaving, he's not really that ambitious and is kind of fat and happy where he's at"

I've heard it, second-hand of course. That he really likes his job and family balance, gets to live in Norman, and doesn't really want to do the rat race.

12/8/2010, 10:49 AM

I, too, want Josh to become our OC soon, but I feel bad for Cale that he keeps getting stepped over when he has been a loyal Sooner and assistant for all of these years.Winning the govt. job through tenure?

yermom
12/8/2010, 11:18 AM
pretty sure that's long time poster yermom.

i have a lot less hair than that... now

OUmillenium
12/8/2010, 11:46 AM
Mangino to coach the line.

norvell the OC

Josh associate OC/qb coach = next OC

caseysooner
12/8/2010, 12:08 PM
Josh McDaniels for OC?