PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is Jeff Capel's style?

bigfatjerk
12/6/2010, 05:45 PM
I think Jeff Capel seems like a good guy, maybe he is a good coach at some extent. But his recruiting could be weak and he can't run the system he wants. But over the last few years what exactly is Jeff Capel's style? Under our last 2 coaches you knew right away what the team would try and do. Under Blake we kinda knew what the players would do but that's easy when you have a freak like Blake. Those don't come around often. But what exactly is our system now? Are we supposed to have guys stair around at each other and hope to make shots? I don't see any actual offense being ran that much.

LiveLaughLove
12/7/2010, 01:43 PM
Armani?

Seriously though, I don't know. I've wondered that myself since he has been here.

I guess it was get Blake the ball at first. I don't think he has many options right now. He has to try and play to the strengths of a team of players that has very few strengths.

He and we need a fresh start, I'm thinking. I hope Joe C. does something soon. Seeing OU in the cellar out of all 12 teams is beyond disgusting.

badger
12/7/2010, 01:54 PM
2010: Don't turn the ball over.
2009: Pass the ball a lot and whatever you do, don't shoot
2008: Dunk the ball, Blake!
2007: Dunk the ball, Blake!
2006: Jeff gets technicals because team shows no emotion

...sooner
12/7/2010, 03:20 PM
i dont know if he has a "style" i think hes just trying to get a group of kids together that can play together & like badg said dont turn the ball over. thats KILLER in every game we have played. i wonder if capel can call scott brooks & maybe thunder can teach the sooners something? hahaa

GDC
12/7/2010, 05:23 PM
It's gotten so bad with OU basketball that none of the sunshine pumpers are ripping me anymore for ripping Capel.

badger
12/7/2010, 05:54 PM
GDC, that sounds like a challenge.

We have three victories - only 10 more till we match last season's total!
We have five losses in a row - but that is DWARFED by last year's nine losses in a row!

Actually, don't you think picking on sunshine pumpers for a 3 and 5 team is kind of like beating up your kid sister? Lay off, man :)

waynepayne
12/7/2010, 07:51 PM
It's gotten so bad with OU basketball that none of the sunshine pumpers are ripping me anymore for ripping Capel.

oh I still think you're an ***hole and very wrong.

so suck it.

boomersooner28
12/7/2010, 08:32 PM
Is anyone else having as hard a time as I am seeing a light at the end of the tunnel? :O

birddog
12/7/2010, 09:02 PM
yeah, this is the first time in my life i haven't tried to catch every game on tv.
i don't even look for a score now.:mad:

and i totally backed him coming here but he might be in too deep now.

Soonerjeepman
12/7/2010, 09:23 PM
honestly...I don't know what his style is....I know Coach K's 4 -5 things he does on the offensive end...but OU doesn't even look remotely close to doing those....

1. spacing
2. move without the ball
3. set screens

at those are the ones I remember from Coach K's book...

85sooners
12/8/2010, 03:30 PM
:texan:

oumartin
12/8/2010, 06:40 PM
it appears to be a losing style

Sooner95
12/8/2010, 07:45 PM
Maybe next year they'll recruit someone over 6-8 That would help...

StoopTroup
12/8/2010, 09:21 PM
Once Joe C finally finds his ball sac again, Jeff will be gone and a hungry new Coach will right this ship. Being the replacement Coach and being successful is difficult. Hopefully the next guy can build on what's left instead of having to nearly gut the entire program. There's nowhere to go but up IMO.

BOOMER SOONER ! !

GDC
12/9/2010, 02:49 PM
Once Joe C finally finds his ball sac again, Jeff will be gone and a hungry new Coach will right this ship. Being the replacement Coach and being successful is difficult. Hopefully the next guy can build on what's left instead of having to nearly gut the entire program. There's nowhere to go but up IMO.

BOOMER SOONER ! !

It has to be that Capel is a dead man walking, and Joe C wanted the full year to not fudge this hire up either.

Soonerjeepman
12/10/2010, 01:02 AM
this is what happens when ya give out 9, YES 9999999...frickin scholarships to guys that honestly have no business being a starter on a top D1 program....(ok..we are not there now...but were).

I love their hustle and they seem to have the right attitude but about 4 of these guys have no business starting or playing much on a top D1 school.

*not talking about our top 3-4 guys...

janderson255
12/10/2010, 09:31 AM
My Opinion: I feel that the fanbase for OU basketball has the mindset like the fans of OU Football. We should be contenting for the NC every year and when that doesnt happen, Fire the Coach or it's the end of the world. I think that JCs style is whatever gets his guys to play ball to the best of their ability and to play using the fundamentals. I think that is where the guys from last year had a problem. Dunking and showboating is not the fundamentals. You have to have teachable guys to have a winning team. I think this team has the ability to start a stretch of getting higher caliber athletes, (kinda how Blake got 3 McDs AAs) if they play hard, play smart, remain teachable, and win.

Oh - Just because you cant make it to the games does not mean you arent a true fan. Some people have lives, responsibilites (like helping your kids with homework), and jobs. Its like saying that if you dont live in Norman, your not a true fan... I live in Norman.

badger
12/10/2010, 10:12 AM
I get that not every team can make the postseason 25 years in a row, but after 25 years, it's the expected norm, even after a players declaring pro and coaching changes... and NCAA investigations too

Soonerjeepman
12/10/2010, 10:25 AM
didn't see Nick T even on the stat sheet,,,? what's up?

badger
12/10/2010, 10:26 AM
didn't see Nick T even on the stat sheet,,,? what's up?

In Colorado for grandma's funeral... or at least that's what Billy said last night during the broadcast

bigfatjerk
12/10/2010, 10:56 AM
My Opinion: I feel that the fanbase for OU basketball has the mindset like the fans of OU Football. We should be contenting for the NC every year and when that doesnt happen

No that's not true. We should have expectations to compete near the top of the Big 12 conference like we did under Billy and Kelvin most years. I see nothing wrong with those type of expectations for this program we've only been doing that for the 25 years prior to Jeff Capel.

bigfatjerk
2/4/2011, 12:36 PM
I have to bump this thread back up. In the last couple of games and for the first time I remember under Capel we've actually had some screens being set and some half court sets. I don't think we ever really did that under Capel. We always just threw it in to Blake and hope he opens something up or pass the ball around hoping something eventually happens. The last couple of games we've actually seen sets being ran, seen some screens set, we've actually have a bit of a system on defense too like we've never really had. We've done a better job of switching off on defenders. We still rely too much on shooting and hoping our inside guy beats double teams. But having Blair go inside some off screens is actually signs of a system. Hopefully it keeps up.

soonerbub
2/4/2011, 12:50 PM
To run X's & O's you have to have Jimmys & Joes willing to actually execute what the coach draws up on his little marker board (BTW does anyone else notice Capel's little OU board? Easily the coolest one I've ever seen--I want one)

badger
2/4/2011, 01:00 PM
I stand by my comments a few months ago - Capel's style this year is still about minimizing turnovers. And GDC should still lay off the sunshine pumpers regardless of the team's record, because it's the nice thing to do. :P