PDA

View Full Version : OU vs UCONN - Early Look-ahead

BOOMERBRADLEY
12/6/2010, 12:56 PM
OU - 11-2
UCONN - 8-4

The Sooners had their typical early season sluggish start but the difference between last season and this season is like night and day. Stoops said it himself when he spoke to the media about last season they lost those games when they were down and couldn't hold on for a victory. The Huskies started off slow as well with a 3-4 start but rallied the troops and finished off strong with a 5 game winning streak. OU's best win of the season was a toss up between a top 10 Oklahoma State on the road or a 30 point win over Florida St at home. Uconn's best win of the seaon was beating West Virginia at home where West Virginia fumbled the ball 7 TIMES. The Sooners and Huskies have one common opponent this season which is Cincinnati. The Sooners struggled in the game on the road but held on for a 2 point win. UCONN fared much better at home against Cincy with a 38-17 Victory. Below is a list of stats from the NCAA site for team comparisons.

Rushing Offense
adv - by the numbers uconn
OU - 77 (141 ypg)
UCONN - 31 (180 ypg)

Passing Offense
adv - by the numbers OU
OU - 4 (336 ypg)
UCONN - 112 (145 ypg)

Total Offense
adv - by the numbers OU
OU - 13 (478 ypg)
UCONN - 96 (325 ypg)

Scoring Offense
adv - by the numbers OU
OU - 17 (36 ppg)
UCONN - 62 (27 ppg)

Rush Defense
OU - 63 (152 ypg)
UCONN - 57 (147 ypg)

Pass Defense
OU - 51 (212 ypg)
UCONN - 42 (206 ypg)

Total Defense
OU - 58 (364 ypg)
UCONN - 48 (354 ypg)

Scoring Defense
OU - 35 (22 ppg)
UCONN - 23 (20 ppg)

Turnover Margain
adv - by the numbers
OU - 11 (1.08 margain)
UCONN - 12 (1.00 margain)

3rd Down Conversions
adv - by the numbers OU
OU - 36 (44%)
UCONN - 112 (31%)

Red Zone Offense
OU - 68 (81%)
UCONN - 4 (93%)
Note: OU has had 72 drives with 58 scores while uconn has had 45 drives with 42 scores

Conclusion: I know stats can be skewed in many ways to fit a team or argument. While I think OU wins this game I certainly don't want the team to show up and think the Huskies start hearing The Empire Strikes Back music in their heads. The defensive stats are certainly surprising and close in some areas but it's fair to say UCONN playing in the Big East is not the best test for a team to determine how they size up against the rest of the nation.

OUMallen
12/6/2010, 01:23 PM
31% on 3rd down for them. And they're primarily a running team. I like it.

Leroy Lizard
12/6/2010, 01:56 PM
Margain?

Question: Which opponent of ours sizes up closest to UConn?

kevpks
12/6/2010, 02:07 PM
Question: Which opponent of ours sizes up closest to UConn?

Baylor. I know it is a different offense but they seem comparable overall.

85sooners
12/6/2010, 02:15 PM
Iowa st

Cornfed
12/6/2010, 02:17 PM
I watched several games of theirs though the year and One thing they do is play tough, never give up and never stray from the game plan.
They have a solid O-line and backs.

I hate saying this, but what we have that is not on paper is a large speed advantage. Their skill players are fast , but their linebackers are avg speed (but sound) same with the secondary.

If we play our game and do not turn it over much we should win.

This past weekend against USF a very competitive game and I know USF has some speed and size.

If we play the way we can I see us scoring in the 40s and them scoring in the 20s.

cantwait48
12/6/2010, 02:27 PM
our offense always worries me some in the bowl games, the opposing D has more time to get ready for something they don't see all the time and we have more time to lose rhythm and get rusty. Hopefully we can come out and establish a running game early and the passing game will eventually go off on them and we will beat them handily. I really don't know what to expect though.

My Opinion Matters
12/6/2010, 02:33 PM
Typical early season slow start? Typical slow start like in 2008 when we started 5-0 outscoring our opponents 245-69? Or like in 2007 when started 4-0 outscoring our opponents 246-47? Or maybe typical like last year when we lost the first player taken in the NFL draft and a first round TE before the end of the first game, and lost 3 of our first 6 games by a combined 5 points?

Who the hell writes this crap?

(no offense to the OP if you wrote it :D )

BOOMERBRADLEY
12/7/2010, 09:38 AM
Typical early season slow start? Typical slow start like in 2008 when we started 5-0 outscoring our opponents 245-69? Or like in 2007 when started 4-0 outscoring our opponents 246-47? Or maybe typical like last year when we lost the first player taken in the NFL draft and a first round TE before the end of the first game, and lost 3 of our first 6 games by a combined 5 points?

Who the hell writes this crap?

(no offense to the OP if you wrote it :D )

So you cherry picked a couple of seasons while I looked at about a decade or so...

Good job