PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Bowl matchup is really lame

batonrougesooner
12/6/2010, 12:24 PM
Nebraska and Washington meeting again in the same season?

After Nebraska already completely destroyed them?

How exciting.

cattlemaster
12/6/2010, 12:27 PM
I was surprised by that too. Guess Nebraska has played Arizona a few times too in bowls so there really wasnt much of a choice?

I thought Iowa would have been a better choice. Someone on another board said it could have been the begining of "Farmagedon"

bringit
12/6/2010, 12:27 PM
and I think they play in the 2011 season too

OUmillenium
12/6/2010, 12:31 PM
Ugh, what a downer. The coaches should start all Seniors, let em play 1st quarter, then all underclassmen the rest of the way to prepare for next year. Like a super early Spring scrimmage.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/6/2010, 12:52 PM
NU got screwed with that. The Star Tribune had predicted that NU would fall to the Insight Bowl for a matchup against Iowa. That would have been MUCH better.

If there was any bowl game the Huskers might not travel for, this might be it.

Of course I might say the same about us in the Fiesta Bowl. I wonder how cheap the tickets will end up being...

Maybe I should check on flights to San Diego... go to the Holiday Bowl and hobnob with the Huskers on Dec 30 then drive to Tempe (EDIT: I mean Glendale...sheesh I'm old) for OUr game....

Soonermagik
12/6/2010, 01:06 PM
I bet that pisses Nebraska off, because they have nothing to gain. If they wipe the floor with them again then who cares. If they lose, it will be an epic meltdown. It's no fun playing the same team twice in a season if you won the 1st game.

batonrougesooner
12/6/2010, 01:08 PM
And especially the way they won it. It isn't like a rematch of an epic battle.

Agree not a good position for Nebraska. The only suspense will be "Will Nebraska kill them again?", and if not, then what's wrong with Nebraska?

Doubt many travel for this game, unless it's just to spend a few nights in SD.

badger
12/6/2010, 01:17 PM
Nebraska vs. Iowa would have been awesome, even if it would be in a "lesser" bowl, because that might be one of the best new Big 10 rivalries to come out of Nebraska leaving. Which team has the better overall-wearing fans? :P

Also, Nebbish went to San Diego last year. Nebbish is the new Texas. Holiday Bowl-bound every year! Ho ho ho! Merry same-bowl! ;)

Whet
12/6/2010, 02:23 PM
It was a small token of "appreciation" from the Big XII, to the out going Nebraska team.

Dan Beebe: "Hey Tom, don't let that barn door hit your arse on the way out!"

BoulderSooner79
12/6/2010, 02:35 PM
Why would you think the Big12 conference had anything to do with it?

I agree this has to be the worst bowl match-up of the season. 10-3 vs. 6-6 and a rematch to boot?

Jacie
12/6/2010, 03:14 PM
I thought Iowa would have been a better choice. Someone on another board said it could have been the begining of "Farmagedon"

Sorry, that name is already used for the Iowa State/Kansas State game . . .

cyclonesooner
12/6/2010, 03:17 PM
Nebraska doesn't deserve that. Worse opponent than UCONN !

Jello Biafra
12/6/2010, 03:18 PM
It's no fun playing the same team twice in a season if you won the 1st game.

hello. this is the orange bowl comitte and we would like to extend an invitation for the nebraska huskers to play the Oklahoma sooners in this years addition of the orange bowl.....

hello?!?!?

soonerboy_odanorth
12/6/2010, 03:22 PM
On behalf of the Orange Bowl Committee I would like to formally extend an invitation to the University of Oklahoma to beat... to meet the University Nebraska in the Orange Bowl Classic on January the 1st. (Switzer grins...)

I'm sure that you have been advised that we have asked as your opponent, the University of Oklahoma. We think that the rematch will be a very exciting game, and one with a tremendous amount of appeal....

Hello?!?!? (Osborne and Devaney sit there stunned)

FIFY with the Freudian slip. Priceless. [EDIT: Just watched the Youtube again... awesome... FIFY more accurately...]

jumperstop
12/6/2010, 03:24 PM
Someone was saying on here that the Big 12 put pressure on the Insight Bowl to take Missouri over Nebbish to give them a kick in the *** on the way out with a ****ty matchup in a ****ty bowl.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/6/2010, 03:27 PM
So someone tell me again, why was it that the Big XII pursued the Fiesta as the BCS tie-in instead of the Orange Bowl? Let me guess. It starts with a "T"...

bent rider
12/6/2010, 03:48 PM
It could be worse, they could be playing the game in Boise or Albuquerque.

BoulderSooner79
12/6/2010, 03:51 PM
So someone tell me again, why was it that the Big XII pursued the Fiesta as the BCS tie-in instead of the Orange Bowl? Let me guess. It starts with a "T"...

It could be that the SEC already had the Sugar bowl and the ACC is much closer. Bobbie Bowen may have been a factor.

soonervegas
12/6/2010, 03:56 PM
This leaves no doubt that it is absolutely personal between the Big 12 front office (Texas) and Nebraska. Not in a million years would the Big 12 let that happen to a normal member. It is definitely a big middle finger from Beebe and Co.

VA Sooner
12/6/2010, 04:45 PM
Nebraska got screwed. They need a better matchup for the bowls.

Sorry system.

Wishboned
12/6/2010, 04:48 PM
I wonder if there's video of Osborne when they told him?

bent rider
12/6/2010, 05:19 PM

If he was waiting for word in Hitler's bunker, I'm sure there will be a video of it with English subtitles on YouTube soon.

ouwasp
12/6/2010, 06:29 PM
Yeah, Nebraska got hosed. I know I would have rather watched Nebraska/Iowa. Who wants to watch a sorry-*** rematch? And hear how great Jake Locker is?

Guess that's the point...

2121Sooner
12/6/2010, 06:39 PM
Yeah, Nebraska got hosed. I know I would have rather watched Nebraska/Iowa. Who wants to watch a sorry-*** rematch? And hear how great Jake Locker is?

Guess that's the point...

Jake Locker is the most overrated QB I have seen in quite a long time. Great athlete, but sheety QB.

But you never know about the Holiday Bowl. They seem to put on a pretty good show. You have the occasional blowout (like last year) but typically they have some shootouts there.

Okie35
12/6/2010, 06:42 PM
Jake Locker is the most overrated QB I have seen in quite a long time. Great athlete, but sheety QB.

But you never know about the Holiday Bowl. They seem to put on a pretty good show. You have the occasional blowout (like last year) but typically they have some shootouts there.

You've never seen Jevon Snead? I think Locker will do well in the NFL he never really had any talent around him at Washington. He's played w/ cracked ribs a hurt ankle he's tough.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/7/2010, 12:57 AM

Something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8tcxfQ3_bs&feature=related

WA. Sooner
12/7/2010, 01:20 AM
blame the pac10 for only having 4 schools bowling. 2 went to bcs bowls the other 2 took the highest available.

Okie35
12/7/2010, 01:46 AM
blame the pac10 for only having 4 schools bowling. 2 went to bcs bowls the other 2 took the highest available.

I remember when ESPin were talking about it being the best conference.

Whet
12/7/2010, 07:42 AM
Plus, the Big XII did not want to have a. Big 10 match in their bowl (Insight). They wanted one of our own in there, battling a Big 10 opponent.

TUSooner
12/7/2010, 08:50 AM
Nebraska AND THE VIEWING PUBLIC got screwed. They need a better matchup for the bowls.

Sorry system.

There.

Heck, Nebraska vs (already well-screwed) Temple would have been a better looking game.

Lott's Bandana
12/7/2010, 08:54 AM
Some light reading:

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3071338#post3071338

SoonerMom2
12/7/2010, 11:33 AM
Someone was saying on here that the Big 12 put pressure on the Insight Bowl to take Missouri over Nebbish to give them a kick in the *** on the way out with a ****ty matchup in a ****ty bowl.

Saw the same thing and couldn't quit laughing -- serves NE right -- they didn't want to play any more games in Texas so they get the Holiday Bowl. No way did Beebee wanted a match-up in the Insight Bowl with a Big 10 team and have the announcers talking over and over again how NE was going to the Big 10. He wanted a 'real' Big 12 team representing the conference IMHO.