PDA

View Full Version : All Time OU Team

jkjsooner
12/6/2010, 10:30 AM
If you were putting together an all time OU team (all players in their prime) who would you select as starters and who would come from the bench. Let's say you're putting a team together with the goal of actually winning games so instead of just an all star type team you want to consider chemistry and strengths and weaknesses.

My OU bball knowledge doesn't go back much before Tisdale. I'm sure Alvin Adams would be on the team but since I don't know a lot ab out him I can't start him.

First, the obvious choices:

Tisdale - C
Griffin - PF

I think I'd go with Blaylock at PG. The only question would be whether I wanted to pick someone who can score from that position (like maybe Hollis Price) but I think Blaylock wins the spot there.

This is going to be controversial but at SG I want someone who can shoot the 3 and I can't think of anyone better than Brent Price. I think if we have Blaylock at PG then we definitely need a pure shooter at SG.

I really can't think of anyone at small forward. We could play Griffin there and put Grant at power forward but I'm not sure that would make a great lineup. I might pick Ryan Minor here.

On the bench I'd have Hollis Price, King, Grant, Jackie Jones, Kennedy, and Adams. Unfortunately that doesn't leave enough guards.

OUmillenium
12/6/2010, 12:17 PM
1. Terry Evans
2. Mookie Blaylock
3. Ryan Minor
4/5 Blake Griffin and Wayman T

GDC
12/6/2010, 05:43 PM
Mike "Helicopter" Bell
Skeeter Henry
Choo Kennedy
Mookie Blaylock
Stacey "Sky" King

soonervegas
12/6/2010, 06:11 PM
good question......

King
Tisdale
Griffin
Mookie
Hollis

Alvin Adams was before my time....

cantwait48
12/6/2010, 07:35 PM
Skeeter Henry would make a good guy coming off the bench for that team

KBoomer11
12/6/2010, 09:10 PM
Cade Davis

the_ouskull
12/6/2010, 10:56 PM
Alvan Adams, Wayman Tisdale, Blake Griffin, and either Brent Price and Mookie Blaylock, or Jeff Webster and Brent Price, depending on whether or not I want to severely limit my size in the backcourt, as well as lack of a "true" swingman.

I could also go a BIT more modern and say Wayman, Blake, Ryan Minor, Webster, and Mookie.

Corey Brewer was another good one. Stacey King. Eduardo Najera. Choo Kennedy. Tim McAlister. There are a lot of good directions in which you could go. It'd depend on the kind of team you needed to put out there. Maybe you sacrifice outside shooting, and an offensive mindset from someone like Ryan Minor to replace it with Eddie's hustle and defense. It depends on the opponent.

I like my first five, though. Screw it. Run with Price and Mookie in the backcourt. Mookie'll take the big guard, and Adams can help out defensively quite a bit. Ditto Wayman on the help side. (Especially on the help side...)

I'd like to take our all-time team against the all-time team of some other schools. Can Norm Stewart coach Mizzou's team?

the_ouskull

VaSooner
12/6/2010, 11:06 PM
Chucky Barnett
Bo Overton
Wayman
Charles Jones
Dave Little

bigfatjerk
12/7/2010, 12:08 AM
PG-Mookie Blaylock
SG-Hollis Price
SF-Eduardo Najera
PF-Blake Griffin
C-Wayman Tisdale

Bench Alvin Adams, Ryan Minor, Corey Brewer, Stacey King off the bench.

soonervegas
12/7/2010, 11:45 AM
I miss OU basketball....it was awesome.

GDC
12/7/2010, 01:39 PM
I want Andre Wiley on the team, but I can't remember his nickname.

fwsooner22
12/7/2010, 02:42 PM
Alvan Adams was better than all of them except Tiz and Griffin. Check how long he played in the NBA. Dude was awesome. Don Sidle was a great player as was Gar Heard. You guys nailed the rest.

The more fun list is the craziest lineup which starts with Charles "Big Time" Jones.

GDC
12/7/2010, 05:21 PM
I miss OU basketball....it was awesome.

Rest in peace, Sooner basketball.

:(

caseysooner
12/8/2010, 12:14 PM
Hollis Price has to be a lock. Eduardo as the 6th man.

ELP Sooner
12/8/2010, 10:17 PM
Anyone remember Gar Heard?

bigfatjerk
12/8/2010, 10:39 PM
I considered both Gar Heard and Cliff Ray.

highjumper
12/16/2010, 03:06 PM
No Don Sidle?

King Crimson
12/16/2010, 05:18 PM
I want Andre Wiley on the team, but I can't remember his nickname.

The Creator

nativesooner
12/16/2010, 05:28 PM
What about Evan Wiley? :D

nativesooner
12/16/2010, 05:30 PM
Seriously though, no Harvey "No, I'm not the one with the Bulls" Grant?

Mad Dog Madsen
12/16/2010, 05:38 PM
What about Ryan Humphrey?!? :rolleyes:

87sooner
12/16/2010, 05:46 PM
first team...

mookie
brent price
eduardo
wayman
blake

second team...

ricky grace
hollis
minor
harvey grant
alvan adams

soonergolfer
12/20/2010, 01:38 PM
Nothing against Eduardo but he is not a 1st team all time Sooner.

PG - Mookie Blaylock
SG - Hollis Price
SF - Ryan Minor
PF - Blake Griffin
C - Waymon Tisdale

2nd team:

PG - Brent Price
SG - Choo Kennedy
SF - Eduardo Najera
PF - Stacy King
C - Alvin Adams

w0lfe
12/29/2010, 11:50 AM
1. Michael Cano
2. Kellen Sampson
3. Reggie Bass
4. Beau Gerber
5. Oleg Retsov

SilliSooner
12/29/2010, 11:59 AM
Nothing against Eduardo but he is not a 1st team all time Sooner.

PG - Mookie Blaylock
SG - Hollis Price
SF - Ryan Minor
PF - Blake Griffin
C - Waymon Tisdale

2nd team:

PG - Brent Price
SG - Choo Kennedy
SF - Eduardo Najera
PF - Stacy King
C - Alvin Adams

I like this team, think it would be solid. Only change I'd make would be to replace Choo Kennedy with Harvey Grant.

NMSooner'80
12/29/2010, 12:18 PM
Regardless of position:

Wayman Tisdale
Alvan Adams
Stacey King
Mookie Blaylock
Blake Griffin
Hollis Price

Best of the rest:

Gar Heard
Harvey Grant
Brent Price
Tim McCalister
John McCullough
Willie Warren
Clifford Ray
Don Sidle
Eduardo Najera
Anthony Bowie
Darryl Kennedy
Skeeter Henry
Ryan Minor

King Crimson
12/29/2010, 01:16 PM
Regardless of position:

Wayman Tisdale
Alvan Adams
Stacey King
Mookie Blaylock
Blake Griffin
Hollis Price

Best of the rest:

Gar Heard
Harvey Grant
Brent Price
Tim McCalister
John McCullough
Willie Warren
Clifford Ray
Don Sidle
Eduardo Najera
Anthony Bowie
Darryl Kennedy
Skeeter Henry
Ryan Minor

pretty much agree with that...though, in terms of "growing the program"......McCalister, Choo, and even Big David Johnson (had 20 at Duke!)...would be hard to overestimate.

same with Chuckie Barnett and David Little.

for about a month, Skeeter Henry was the best player in America. no joke.

Sooner04
12/29/2010, 01:31 PM
http://ou.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/photos/2010/04/05/lesterlane_.jpg

Lester Lane (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lester_Lane)

badger
12/29/2010, 02:25 PM
I'm just gonna come out and say it for everyone to read - I miss you 04 and I want your "attempts" following mens games to come back. I don't care how much the team loses, how much we want Capel to be fired, how abysmal our conference outlook is - just bring your attempts back. Please? I know some people here might disagree or 1-star your threads, but just give them the finger and write about the mens team anyway this season. Please??? Pretty please?

My kingdom for another 04 "attempt" ;)

SteelClip49
12/29/2010, 03:51 PM
how are all of you going to leave off Aaron McGhee?

Mad Dog Madsen
12/29/2010, 03:51 PM
I'm just gonna come out and say it for everyone to read - I miss you 04 and I want your "attempts" following mens games to come back. I don't care how much the team loses, how much we want Capel to be fired, how abysmal our conference outlook is - just bring your attempts back. Please? I know some people here might disagree or 1-star your threads, but just give them the finger and write about the mens team anyway this season. Please??? Pretty please?

^^^Totally agree.

GDC
12/29/2010, 03:53 PM
I agree, I very much appreciate 04's perspective and writing style, it's the d-baggery that neutralizes the positives.

Anyone know his new super-secret message board?

LiveLaughLove
12/29/2010, 04:03 PM
1. Michael Cano
2. Kellen Sampson
3. Reggie Bass
4. Beau Gerber
5. Oleg Retsov

I'd take these guys straight up over this year's squad. :D

LiveLaughLove
12/29/2010, 04:13 PM
I know they don't belong on the list really, but the guys that were my hero's were John McCullough and Terry Stotts. I got to go to games fairly regularly back then, and met them several times. They were super nice to we high schooler's.

I always wanted to be them, and fell in love with basketball and OU basketball because of them.

As for my team it would be:

Adams, Tisdale, Griffin, Blaylock, and Grant.

The first 4 for sure, the fifth spot could go to Hollis Price, Ryan Minor, or Stacy King.

SpankyNek
12/30/2010, 01:29 AM
PG Mookie Blaylock
SG Hollis Price
SF Ryan Minor
PF Blake Griffin
C Wayman Tisdale

Bench:
Brent Price
Jeff Webster
Eduardo Najera
Alvan Adams
Stacey King

Honorable Mention:
Nolan Johnson (Almost makes the cut)
Terry Evans
Nate Erdmann
Choo Kennedy
Jackie Jones
Harvey Grant

If I could put in my favorite guys (As a fan...talent aside) they would be John Ontjes, Bryan Sallier and the "Mad Bomber" Calvin Curry.

OU_Sooners75
12/30/2010, 03:06 AM
PG: Hollis Price
SG: Mookie Blaylock
C: Waymen Tisdale
PF: Blake Griffin
SF: Eduardo Najera

6th Man: Ryan Minor
7th: David Seger(SP?)
8th: Stacy King
9th: Harvey Grant
10th: Brent Price

11th: Skeeter Henry
12th: Jeff Webster

thatmediadude
12/30/2010, 11:10 AM
Calvin Newell, Steven Pledger, Cade Davis, Nick Thompson, Andrew Fitzgerald!

Uh....PG - Mookie Blaylock
SG - Hollis Price
SF - Ryan Minor
PF - Blake Griffin
C - Waymon Tisdale

NMSooner'80
12/30/2010, 11:15 AM
I know they don't belong on the list really, but the guys that were my hero's were John McCullough and Terry Stotts. I got to go to games fairly regularly back then, and met them several times. They were super nice to we high schooler's.

I always wanted to be them, and fell in love with basketball and OU basketball because of them.

I got to know a few of those guys when I was an OU student. Stotts, Al Beal and Aaron Curry came to OU at the same time that I did. I got to know them at OU, and they were really good guys. McCullough was someone I got to know pretty well when he worked at UNM, and he is top-notch as well.

It's a shame that people seem to hold what their ex-coach (Bliss) did over 20 years later, at Baylor, against that group of guys. I also have no explanation for what Bliss did, either, and I remain very shocked and disappointed about that. But at OU, he was very accessible and loved to meet with student groups. Whatever happened in the 2000's had nothing to do with his OU stay.