PDA

View Full Version : Kind of glad we're playing on the 1st

LASooner
12/6/2010, 01:47 AM
It feels more like the bowls used to feel. You wake up on New Years Day and OU in the Orange Bowl at the end of the night closed out the season. The bowls after the 1st have always felt like a major anti-climax. Shorter layoff for the team too.

mgsooner
12/6/2010, 01:48 AM
Agreed. It sucks to play in a bowl game on a regular old work day.

sooner59
12/6/2010, 02:08 AM
Imagine playing on Dec. 18 and watching bowl games for 3 1/2 more weeks. That would suck.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/6/2010, 02:51 AM
cotton bowl on the 7th of january and not at 9am feels weird

batonrougesooner
12/6/2010, 03:22 AM
Well it's a work day for me. But I'm working on changing that...

I'm just glad the team doesn't have a month plus wait to play again. 26 days is bad enough.

SoonerKnight
12/6/2010, 04:54 AM
Yeah I want to see the Sooners kick some a$$!!!!

OUmillenium
12/6/2010, 10:24 AM
Switzer gave a great interview last week (Friday?) on Leach's Sirius 122 show. They asked him about the Big 12 Championship and he went off on how great the old Big 8 Rivalry with Nebraska was. He emphasized how Orange Bowl on New Years day decided National Championships a number of times. Great interview and I agree about the old Bowl lineup.

There should be no bowls after Jan 1, IMO.

Widescreen
12/6/2010, 10:52 AM
There should be no bowls after Jan 1, IMO.

That would be fine with me too. To make that happen, they'd have to bump back a bunch of the bowls that take place on or after Jan. 1. There are WAY too many bowls in January now. Actually they need to scale back the # of bowls anyway but that's for another thread.

jumperstop
12/6/2010, 11:06 AM
That would be fine with me too. To make that happen, they'd have to bump back a bunch of the bowls that take place on or after Jan. 1. There are WAY too many bowls in January now. Actually they need to scale back the # of bowls anyway but that's for another thread.

Going to a "January bowl" isn't what it used to be. Now anyone can play in January, there's even a game after the NCG.

Wishboned
12/6/2010, 11:20 AM
The last BCS bowl OU won was played on January 1st. The Rose Bowl.

jumperstop
12/6/2010, 11:22 AM
The last BCS bowl OU won was played on January 1st. The Rose Bowl.

Was at that game, it was fun. I would like to go back to the rose bowl instead of stupid fiesta.

Widescreen
12/6/2010, 11:27 AM
Going to a "January bowl" isn't what it used to be. Now anyone can play in January, there's even a game after the NCG.

There's the BBVA Compass Bowl on 1/8 and the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl on 1/9. Can't wait!!!

kelloggOUballa
12/6/2010, 11:28 AM
Yeah, what genius decided the Fiesta Bowl would be the Big 12 tie-in, anyway? The Big 8 went to the Orange Bowl, the SWC to the Cotton. I guess Orange+Cotton=Fiesta....

mgsooner
12/6/2010, 12:19 PM
There's the BBVA Compass Bowl on 1/8 and the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl on 1/9. Can't wait!!!

Unreal. I'd try to come up with some more absurd bowl names but there's no way I could even make up anything more ridiculous than there already is.

sOUnder
12/6/2010, 12:26 PM
It feels more like the bowls used to feel. You wake up on New Years Day and OU in the Orange Bowl at the end of the night closed out the season. The bowls after the 1st have always felt like a major anti-climax. Shorter layoff for the team too.

No doubt.

I miss the days when any of the teams playing in the Orange, Cotton, Rose, or Sugar Bowls had a shot to win it all. And I loved that they were all played on Jan. 1st.

fwsooner22
12/6/2010, 01:32 PM
It's perfect if you live in Fort Worth. TCU at 4:30 and then us. Probably not much of a New Years Eve this year think I'll save it. Especially since it is a Saturday.

misplacedsooner
12/6/2010, 02:17 PM
yeah, if anything the mnc should be played jan. 2 to end it all for another season. all other bowls before jan. 1

85sooners
12/6/2010, 02:21 PM
:gary:

cantwait48
12/6/2010, 02:34 PM
yes, Jan 1 used to be college football's version of the ncaa march madness where you could sit there all day surfing back and forth watching whatever games were good. the past few years I do not think I even watched much football on Jan 1. this year will be better though as I think the rose bowl matchup is good and we play that night.

soonervegas
12/6/2010, 02:38 PM
I just don't like the Rose, Cotton, Fiesta, Sugar, Gator, and Orange mostly being on seperate days and not January 1st. That's an abomination.

I know why they do it, but it still sucks.

The BCS game being a week later is fine, but I hate the regular NYD bowl's staggered.