PDA

View Full Version : Orange Bowl vs. Fiesta Bowl

NCarolinaSooner
12/5/2010, 04:28 PM
With all the nostalgia about Oklahoma vs. Nebraska last night, was I the only one who misses the days when beating them and winning the conference meant a trip to Miami--instead of the scenic desert where it seems to frequently snow? The Fiesta Bowl used to be where you ended up if you LOST the game.

I remember picking up an orange on the way to the game and everyone throwing them on the field after the win was in the bag while the PA berated us. Throwing tortilla chips would just be nasty.

Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled about winning the conference, but Virginia Tech (a lower ranked team that lost to a division II school at home) is going to be sipping daquiris on the beach and probably playing a top five team. Meanwhile we get to bundle up in our parkas and probably play an unranked team.

Anyway, I guess I'm just being crochety------GO SOONERS!

HBick
12/5/2010, 04:32 PM
I'm young and don't remember the "glory days" like my father and older sooner fans, but going to Miami would be much more fun than going to Glendale... again.

Then again, I don't think I want the Sooners to play Stanford

Soonermagik
12/5/2010, 04:32 PM
I'm with you!!! The big 8 or whoever I think used to have a tie in with the orange bowl. I hate these tie-in bowl games, it needs to rotate. Most sooner fans are tired of going to the Fiesta bowl in Arizona. No offense, but Miami is 10 times better than the Phoenix area.

There's so much to do in Miami. The last time I went for the Florida Championship game we went to the keys, stayed on south beach, went to this huge outdoor aquarium. I just like Miami a lot more than Phoenix. The only good thing about going to Phoenix is golfing this time of the year. The wife and I talked and we aren't going. We went to the Boise game and that part of it sucked. Had it been Miami we would have went. Oh well.. heading to Playa del Carmen in a few months, so no worries. :)

Flagstaffsooner
12/5/2010, 04:34 PM
When the hell did it snow on PHX? Besides its indoors.

mehip
12/5/2010, 04:34 PM
Meanwhile we get to bundle up in our parkas and probably play an unranked team.

Parkas? I take it you have never been to Phoenix in the winter.

agoo758
12/5/2010, 04:35 PM
No complaints from me. The fewer distractions we have in breaking our 5 game BCS bowl streak, the better. Then again, we seem to play worse in the Fiesta.... so what would I know? :O

mehip
12/5/2010, 04:36 PM
When the hell did it snow on PHX? Besides its indoors.

True story; I was running in th 4x400 final at a meet in Mesa (east Valley) when the sky opened up and snowed for about 5 minutes. Strangest thing I have ever seen considering it was about 90 degrees.

bluedogok
12/5/2010, 04:39 PM
Parkas? I take it you have never been to Phoenix in the winter.
Well, it is supposed to get around 50 for lows this time of year. Sounds like some of the ones around here who think anything lower than 60 is "cold". I have flown through Miami on the way to the Bahamas on Superbowl weekend, it was 35 in Miami and 40 in Freeport, day time highs...of course it was 8 degrees when I flew out of OKC.

Tomorrows weather...
Miami: 70/40 (http://weather.yahoo.com/united-states/florida/miami-2450022/)
Phoenix: 79/51 (http://weather.yahoo.com/united-states/arizona/phoenix-2471390/)

NCarolinaSooner
12/5/2010, 06:34 PM
I stand corrected about the weather, but Arizona is still no Miami and there is definitely no beach. I guess I also wonder what the ACC did to get the Orange Bowl tie-in after all the years of tradition with the Big Eight schools.

Okie35
12/5/2010, 06:48 PM
Uconn will be ranked, barely, but ranked.

slh1234
12/5/2010, 06:52 PM
I stand corrected about the weather, but Arizona is still no Miami and there is definitely no beach. I guess I also wonder what the ACC did to get the Orange Bowl tie-in after all the years of tradition with the Big Eight schools.

Arizona has a LOT of beach. It doesn't have any ocean to go with it :).

OUthunder
12/5/2010, 06:55 PM
Miami>The entire state of Arizona

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/5/2010, 07:10 PM
...I guess I also wonder what the ACC did to get the Orange Bowl tie-in after all the years of tradition with the Big Eight schools.Betcha we can look that up, but, it does suck, doesn't it?

BajaOklahoma
12/5/2010, 07:14 PM
Memories of the Orange Bowl in the 70s - everywhere you looked, there were old people sitting on the front porch, with noting to do. Service was horrible as the workers tended to have an attitude that they were doing you a favor by helping you - ouch!
I don't miss it a bit.

12/5/2010, 07:35 PM
The Ocean, baby. Sailfish, dolphin(mahi-mahi) snapper and grouper etc.

S.PadreIsl.Sooner
12/5/2010, 07:42 PM

Now you're talkin my language. Only I have the same right here where I live.

12/5/2010, 08:02 PM
Now you're talkin my language. Only I have the same right here where I live.So, where is the Bean Chalupa Bowl played, in Brownsville?

StanberryWasIn
12/5/2010, 08:03 PM

Joe's Stone Crab.

Fraggle145
12/5/2010, 08:08 PM
The Fiesta Bowl sucks. It also has the ****tiest trophy.

LiveLaughLove
12/5/2010, 08:12 PM
The worst thing about it now isn't the location...well maybe it is, but the second worst thing is the lousy matchups it always has.

The Fiesta Bowl since all of the realignment stuff has the old Big 8 playing against a non-traditional conference or at large that underdog type.

It sucks the worst of all of the suckiness that is the BCS suckdom.

soonerbub
12/5/2010, 08:14 PM
This is why I don't like the extra BCS game. Now if we're not in contention for the big one and win the Big XII we are going to Phoenix period. Before w the rotation we had other options.

12/5/2010, 08:53 PM
The worst thing about it now isn't the location...well maybe it is, but the second worst thing is the lousy matchups it always has.

The Fiesta Bowl since all of the realignment stuff has the old Big 8 playing against a non-traditional conference or at large that underdog type.

It sucks the worst of all of the suckiness that is the BCS suckdom.I find this to be the most least suckative answer this thread offers, to this point.

VA Sooner
12/5/2010, 08:54 PM
I'll take the BCS Bowl game any day, any time, any opponent.

Boomer Sooner!

bluedogok
12/5/2010, 09:00 PM
Better than the Beef O'Brady's Bowl.....