PDA

View Full Version : Where are we going to be ranked pre-season next year?

BigTip
12/5/2010, 03:23 PM
Strong finish, beau coup returning starters, and we ARE OU after all, where will we be ranked in the pre-season polls?

Anything less than 4th will be ridiculous.

lasooner123
12/5/2010, 03:24 PM
idk and idc....,we will control our destiny as we always do

aero
12/5/2010, 03:44 PM
We should be pretty high, as usual. Although pre-season rankings don't mean much, ie: texas, it sure helps to start near the top especially if there are more than 2 undefeateds or a crowd of 1 loss teams. You don't see many seasons where a team starts around 19, knocks off a bunch of ranked teams, and works it's way to the title as we did in 2000. We're going to miss DM and his leadership. Beals been a force and hopefully someone steps up as it seems they do every year. If we can fill those spots and avoid the injury bug we should be a serious contender and rightfully ranked high. Top 10 will most likely be a filled with most of the current top 10. I would guess Auburn may fall the most losing their team (Newton) to the draft.

budbarrybob
12/5/2010, 03:48 PM
No. 2 behind BSU. LOL j/k. Alabama #1 cause the SEC is the shizzle..
:gary:

batonrougesooner
12/5/2010, 03:50 PM
Top ten for sure. Good starting point.

Hopefully to compete for NC next year OU will look strong all year. Won't have the conference championship "bump" game anymore to help us in the final BCS standings.

I think lack of a game is more likely to hurt OU than help.

BoulderSooner79
12/5/2010, 03:52 PM
It will be a single digit number - I don't know who returns for other strong teams.

MyT Oklahoma
12/5/2010, 03:52 PM
Probably within the top 5 depending upon how we do in the Fiesta Bowl and also depending upon who comes back next year.

We will be fine I think. As in "fine" another run at it all.

Some things just never change when your a Sooner fan. :D

BigTip
12/5/2010, 03:55 PM
idk and idc....,we will control our destiny as we always do

It does matter, like aero says. I'm not discussing how we will do, I'm just asking where we will start. Image/potential to voters. I want to start as high as possible, so we don't have to have "help" from other teams losing.

If we were undefeated this year, where would be ranked in the BCS right now? Ahead of either Auburn or Oregon? Maybe, maybe not. Our s.o.s was pretty good this year. But it is going to be weaker next year.

If there were a playoff system, all of this wouldn't matter. Every team would always be in control of their own destiny, true. But there isn't, and they aren't. It's in the hands of biased voters and computers.

Dwight
12/5/2010, 03:58 PM
I see no logical way that we can be out of the top 5.

josh09
12/5/2010, 04:11 PM
Strong finish, beau coup returning starters, and we ARE OU after all, where will we be ranked in the pre-season polls?

Anything less than 4th will be ridiculous.

Honestly, in a non-biased opinion and knowing that we have only 4 or 5 guys leaving from this team, I see us Top 3 at least. It depends on what happens in our bowl though.

Auburn has 11 or 12 starters leaving, including most of their O-line, so even if Cam Newton stays, he'll probably experience more pressure. They wont be as good.

Oregon also has 11 or 12 guys leaving, including over half of their D, so even if their offense manages to stay somewhat decent, their defense will probably be exposed.

I dont know much about any other teams, but it's likely that an SEC team will be #1, just because they're from the SEC. And Texas will probably be #2, given a high pre-season ranking like usual..... :D

bluedogok
12/5/2010, 04:14 PM
Based on the opinions of some on here around 100-105......:rolleyes:

josh09
12/5/2010, 04:34 PM
I did a little bit more studying, and out of the current Top 15, everyone except for us, Alabama, Arkansas, LSU, and Mizzou have 10 or more starters leaving. Arkansas has 8 or 9 guys leaving, LSU is saying bye to 7 or 8, and Alabama and Mizzou are each having about 5 guys leave.

Like I said in another thread, Mizzou is the only team in our conference that really worries me next year. If we get past that game and our road test at Florida State, a national championship could be easily in reach.

SoonerPr8r
12/5/2010, 04:48 PM
If cam newton comes back Auburn will be #1 Oregon #2 because their qb is back. I think we will be #5 or #6 will * even be ranked?

josh09
12/5/2010, 04:50 PM
If cam newton comes back Auburn will be #1 Oregon #2 because their qb is back. I think we will be #5 or #6 will * even be ranked?

I think Auburn will be ranked in front of us with Newton coming back, but they'll be overrated. I'm not so sure about Oregon though. As for :texan: , I'd give them somewhere between #15 and #25, if they're lucky :D

rekamrettuB
12/5/2010, 04:54 PM
Top 5.

Cam will not be back. He's taking his cool quarter million a year salary and heading to greener pastures...and that might be Canada.

yankee
12/5/2010, 04:56 PM
if landry is the starter, top 50, maybe.

if blake bell is the starter, number 1, hands down.

:rolleyes:

pappy
12/5/2010, 05:01 PM
cam newton won't be back for sure. I figure we'll be ranked 3 or 4 preseason and okie lite will be in the top 10 too cause they're not losing much either.

Tigeman
12/5/2010, 05:10 PM
Auburn loses 19 Seniors last I heard, so they're toast after this year. ESPiN keeps saying they are losing 24, but their depth chart doesn't show it. Cam leaves also if there's a draft.

Oregon loses a buttload as stated before, including 6 on starting D, their Center, and 2 OT's. The O line hit should drop them quite a bit.

Bama loses McElroy and only 3 others. The fact that they're breaking in a new QB will hurt them, but they'll still get alot of love despite that fact as Saban's system is known as plug and play. They'll get the #1 spot next season due to the SEC.

Arkie loses Mallet, and they'll get beat up over that.

Wisky loses 10 or more including their QB. They'll be pre-season top 12 as usual for whatever reason.

Iowa loses 12 starters.

Mich. State loses 10 or 12 starters.

TCU loses 15 starters, so their run is done for a bit.

Boise loses 9 but they keep Kellen Moore. You know they'll get some love.

Stanford loses 10 or so, plus the majority of that outstanding O-line, their SR. runningback and both WR's.

LSU loses 4 starters out of that Vaunted D, 2 of which are the starting DT's. Their backups are true freshman w/ almost no experience. They still won't get much credit for their offense. They'll be top 12, maybe top 10 by default.

tOSU loses 11 or so, 7 of which are starting D. Pryor is trying to leave to the NFL so they shouldn't be much of a factor, but the media will still find a way to put them top 10.

South Carolina only loses 7, so they could get a high ranking due to their performance this year.

Florida loses 3 of their OLine starters. Their QB woe's won't get any better with that loss.

So looking at all of that info, and looking at what we return and how much potential our youngsters showed this year, We're top 3 next year pre-season. Depending what happens with Broyles and TLewis that is. Top 5 without those 2, top 3 with them.

Now ready for this kicker.... it's highly possible little brother is top 5 next year, but at the least, top 10.

rm50
12/5/2010, 05:40 PM
I think we will be top 3 to start the season but that and a cup of coffee gets you a cup a coffee.

Whatever we are we will have to prove it on the field.

BigTip
1/3/2011, 12:32 AM
An Austin TV sports talking head recapping the Fiesta Bowl, just mentioned how strong we'll be with so many returning starters. He speculated we might be #1, probably no lower than third.

It's going to be a good year if we can avoid that bad luck that rears it ugly head on us every now and then the last few years.

Salt City Sooner
1/3/2011, 12:58 AM
I've seen/heard OU picked #1 twice: one was nationalchamp.net's early bird top 25, & the other was Tony Barnhart (& FWIW, he's a MAJOR SEC shill) on TV a couple of days ago. He was on w/ Spencer Tillman (who had TCU), & Tim Brando (who picked Oregon).

RahOkU
1/3/2011, 01:16 AM
Top 5.

I don't think #1, unless no one else looks as promising due to attrition. I don't think we have proven ourselves to be #1 yet. Even after developing over this season to the point we finished the Fiesta Bowl at. I just think we need to improve the run game, special teams (in all areas) and confirm the middle of the defense is going to be firm.....

CowboyMRW
1/3/2011, 01:40 AM
How do you figure the Big 12 will look next year overrall?

OU top 5

I've heard Gabbert may go to the draft so that would drop them out of the Top 25 imo. If he stays they're a top 20 team

OSU will be around 10 since we don't lose much at all.

AnM will be right around us too. They look to be salty next year.

These 4 are the contenders for the title next year imo and all should be pretty good.

bonkuba
1/3/2011, 01:46 AM
I knew I was up to late.....must be too sleepy.....thought I read someone state that OsU would be a contender? Wow........:D

Leroy Lizard
1/3/2011, 02:07 AM
I knew I was up to late.....must be too sleepy.....thought I read someone state that OsU would be a contender? Wow........:D

In any other year I would laugh. But if the right guys come back I think they could. Beating our Sooners would be a major hurdle though.

EatLeadCommie
1/3/2011, 02:44 AM
Top 5 for sure. IMO, top 3.

oudavid1
1/3/2011, 05:21 AM
How do you figure the Big 12 will look next year overrall?

OU top 5

I've heard Gabbert may go to the draft so that would drop them out of the Top 25 imo. If he stays they're a top 20 team

OSU will be around 10 since we don't lose much at all.

AnM will be right around us too. They look to be salty next year.

These 4 are the contenders for the title next year imo and all should be pretty good.

So thats how you refer to Kendall Hunter?

sendbaht
1/3/2011, 06:42 AM

OUChampsBig12
1/3/2011, 08:40 AM
I think we will be ranked 3 behind..................Oregon, Alabama, OU!

CBUS_SOONER
1/3/2011, 08:41 AM
the lower the better. We fix special teams and we will be scary

Soonermagik
1/3/2011, 09:08 AM
I hate to say it, but probably #1. I personally hope that doesn't happen! Like others have said, for sure in the top 5.

OUNASH
1/3/2011, 09:23 AM
I would say based on what we have comeing back anywhere between 3-5.

rekamrettuB
1/3/2011, 09:32 AM

And Dana Skullet.

sooneron
1/3/2011, 11:01 AM
With Cam and Malzahn gone, I bet the barners aren't in the top 8 next year. That's even if they win next week.

sooneron
1/3/2011, 11:02 AM
osu will probably be 8-10.

FirstandGoal
1/3/2011, 11:04 AM
Depends on who stays for us and who might potentially leave for other teams. Right now we have a great shot to be top 3, and a lock for top 5.

CowboyMRW
1/3/2011, 12:50 PM

Kendall and Lemon are no doubt two of the biggest losses. What I meant is that we don't lose many people. Those two are monster losses and will be missed a lot. Hoping with the 3 good RB's we have that 2 or maybe all of them can come close to equaling Kendall

sperry
1/3/2011, 12:57 PM
An Austin TV sports talking head recapping the Fiesta Bowl, just mentioned how strong we'll be with so many returning starters. He speculated we might be #1, probably no lower than third.

It's going to be a good year if we can avoid that bad luck that rears it ugly head on us every now and then the last few years.

The difference between next year and other years where we've really struggled ('05, '09), is that next year we're going to have a very strong offensive line. Even if Landry were to get hurt, Allen or Bell would not be forced to step into an unwinnable situation. Obviously if Landry went down for the whole year, I don't think we could go undefeated, but I think we could survive a game or two without him due to how good our line is going to be.

lexsooner
1/3/2011, 02:38 PM
In 2011 we will have a big early test on the road at FSU, and then late in the season we are on the road at OSU again. I see those as the two toughest games of the season. I like our chances at home against anyone.

SoonerStormchaser
1/3/2011, 02:38 PM
Sweet lord folks, why are you even worrying about this? How bout we just enjoy the victory for a bit...and hope Ohio State gets the ever loving **** kicked out of them?

2121Sooner
1/3/2011, 02:39 PM
I am saying #5

CowboyMRW
1/3/2011, 02:44 PM
Could someone post the schedule for next year for yall please so I can see what it looks like

Salt City Sooner
1/3/2011, 02:58 PM
With Cam and Malzahn gone, I bet the barners aren't in the top 8 next year. That's even if they win next week.
We'll never know for sure about this scenario, because Malzahn's staying put, w/ a hefty little raise in pay:

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/12/auburn_offensive_coordinator_g_1.html

Could someone post the schedule for next year for yall please so I can see what it looks like

http://soonerstats.com/football/seasons/schedule.cfm?seasonid=2011

usaosooner
1/3/2011, 03:07 PM
#2 behind Oregon

Dwight
1/3/2011, 04:13 PM
Top 3

CowboyMRW
1/3/2011, 04:45 PM
Hate to admit it but yall look to be right in the thick of the NC picture. 3 toughest games are FSU, AnM, and OSU.

FSU is the 2nd game of the year and it's there but they will be breaking in a new qb so doubtful they win.

AnM is home = win

OSU, I'll believe it when I see it. As much as I want to predict a loss, I really can't until it actually happens

Jello Biafra
1/3/2011, 04:48 PM
OSU, I'll believe it when I see it. As much as I want to predict a loss, I really can't until it actually happens

smart move. you guys actually had a threat of a running game last year and wont next....just to remind you, the last time you beat us, you were still wearing hihgheels and squatting to pee...and george W was still un packing boxes in warshington dc

IronHorseSooner
1/3/2011, 04:50 PM
Before the incident with the autographs at tOSU, I would have said no lower than #3 behind them and Oregon. With that incident, I see no reason why we shouldn't be at least #2.

We will bring back 10 starters (including the FB) on offense. Remember, Dejuan Miller was the starter and coming into his own before the injury. Of the two losses, J. Jones will replace Mensik, but we ran a 3-tackle rotation this year. You don't simply replace a legend like DM, but we are very loaded at RB.

On D, we return 9, including the nickel. You can say the same thing about Beal as you can about DM; however, The Hammer was a force down the stretch, and he has been a starter. As for the safeties, Proctor was a starter, and Harris played a lot down the stretch (ie Okie Lite).

We also return both kickers, and both played well down the stretch.

Bottom line is that across the team we will start only two guys (Finch and J. Harris) who have not been starters at some time in their Sooner careers.

Include the five wins to close out the year over bowl-eligible teams, a possible Top 5 finish, and a great recruiting class, and you have the making of a preseason #1 or #2.

stoopified
1/3/2011, 04:57 PM
Depends on who is doing the ranking.There are so many internet,magazine,and other EXPERTS doing the rankings BUT I figure OU will rank somwhere in everybody's Top 5.

instigator
1/3/2011, 05:02 PM
#2 behind Oregon

That is what I am thinking and hoping. I don't want to go in to the year #1. When was the last time that worked out?

rekamrettuB
1/3/2011, 06:08 PM
Hate to admit it but yall look to be right in the thick of the NC picture. 3 toughest games are FSU, AnM, and OSU.

FSU is the 2nd game of the year and it's there but they will be breaking in a new qb so doubtful they win.

AnM is home = win

Well then it wouldn't be a prediction. :D

CowboyMRW
1/3/2011, 06:11 PM
Well then it wouldn't be a prediction. :D

Ok I'll go out on a limb and say that OSU has 1 loss going into Bedlam and OU has none. Bedlam will again determine the Big 12 champion.

Breadburner
1/3/2011, 06:18 PM
Ok I'll go out on a limb and say that OSU has 1 loss going into OU-OSU and OU has none. OU-OSU will again determine the Big 12 champion.

You will have at least 3......

CowboyMRW
1/3/2011, 06:25 PM
You will have at least 3......

Who? AnM is the only one that I see and I think that it is a toss up

Gabbert declared so Mizzou doesn't really scare me

Tech doesn't scare me.

Texas is up in the air. Depends on their OC hire.

Baylor is Baylor

The other north teams minus Mizzou are worse than Baylor

cccasooner2
1/3/2011, 06:34 PM
.......but that and a cup of coffee gets you a cup a coffee.

(..............) To make it objective. ;)

Sounds like we are screwed.

SoonerMarkVA
1/3/2011, 07:35 PM
Top 3. Possibly 1.