PDA

View Full Version : Nebbish Will Go the Way of Arkie

PLaw
12/5/2010, 03:00 PM
twenty-four, count 'em. 24 kids from Texas on the NU roster. That recruiting pipeline is about to get valved off.

I think Arkie greatly under-estimated the impact of playing in Texas and the access to recruiting that offered their program. It pretty much made them a weak sister and non-relevent in the SEC.

Nebbish look at your future.

BOOMER

OUNC06
12/5/2010, 03:02 PM
Nebraska has a much better football tradition than Arkansas. The two teams shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence.

Eielson
12/5/2010, 03:04 PM
I've never looked into it, but my Nebraska relatives didn't feel they were getting too much out of Texas anyway. That's a big number, but how many are big-time players for them? I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just curious.

usaosooner
12/5/2010, 03:11 PM
Nebraska is not going to be able to pull kids away from Ohio State..They need to consistently schedule OOC games in Texas against Houston,UTEP and on occasion A&M and Tech, to keep a foot in the door in Texas

Eielson
12/5/2010, 03:12 PM
Nebraska is not going to be able to pull kids away from Ohio State..They need to consistently schedule OOC games in Texas against Houston,UTEP and on occasion A&M and Tech, to keep a foot in the door in Texas

They won't ever schedule Texas in an OOC game.

usaosooner
12/5/2010, 03:14 PM
^ never said Texas.. A&M and Tech.... Reading is FUNdamental

Eielson
12/5/2010, 03:16 PM
^ never said Texas.. A&M and Tech.... Reading is FUNdamental

I didn't say you did.

My Opinion Matters
12/5/2010, 03:22 PM
Compared to what they've been lately Arkansas would be an improvement.

SoonerMom2
12/5/2010, 03:26 PM
Doubt if you ever see NE play in the State of Texas again! Their own comments about Texas and playing in the state should make any TX football player in the high school ranks look elsewhere.

Piware
12/5/2010, 03:27 PM
For decades, Nebraska was waist deep in big corn fed "walk ons". On the defensive side, they didn't have to do much recruiting when those gargantuan farm boys showed up and didn't know they were supposed to wear a helmet.
They are still big and mean on defense but not what they once were.

DarrellZero
12/5/2010, 04:05 PM
While it's impossible to tell exactly how they will do in the B10, they still can't escape the factors that led to their fall from the elite.

Steroids, "county scholarships", "walkons", partial qualifiers: none of that is available to them anymore.

Welcome to planet earth, Nebraska.

AlboSooner
12/5/2010, 04:10 PM
I would expect the pipeline to diminish a little. Will they be able to recruit nationally? Who knows? I say they go to the Big 10 and become a Wisconsin type of team. Solid seasons but nothing wows you and no championships.

Whet
12/5/2010, 04:12 PM
Arkie is going to a BCS bowl this year.

EatLeadCommie
12/5/2010, 04:18 PM

Well they aren't pulling Texas kids away from Texas either. I think they'll be ok. They lose Texas pipelines, but open up lines to PA and OH. The most fertile recruiting states are CA, FL, TX, OH, and PA.

RADsooner
12/5/2010, 06:23 PM

first time for everything..........right? and took them how long?? :rolleyes:

OUNC06
12/5/2010, 06:26 PM

that's a big maybe

Kray
12/5/2010, 08:14 PM
Arkansas is better than Nebraska right now, and really was pretty good under Nutt. Petrino has them headed the right way. Losing some of their Texas pipeline hurt, but they still pick up players there. They are doing a lot better in the SEC than I would have thought. They have been in the SEC title game this decade. They may get a BCS bowl. They're not doing too poorly.

Think about this - they have had more success as a second tier program than OSU, Mizzou, A&M and Tech have had in the Big 12. They kinda straddle recruiting areas. They have tons of money, not unlike Nebraska. They have facilities to match anything in the Big 12.

LiveLaughLove
12/5/2010, 08:16 PM
NU is no Arkansas. They have a far greater tradition and fan base.

They will recruit the rust belt to replace the Texas kids. It works for Ohio State, it will work for them.

I don't expect them to be world beaters, but they weren't in the Big XII any longer anyway. They are good solid team. They will be there also.

cantwait48
12/5/2010, 09:08 PM
"Nebbish Will Go the Way of Arkie "

maybe so but not before they have a greatly anticipated and heated rematch with 6-6 Washington in the holiday bowl, :D :D :D :D

Kray
12/5/2010, 09:18 PM
Nebraska's matchup is terrible, but the entire league has awful matchups outside LSU-A&M.

OU vs. Uconn SHOULD be a snoozer.
OSU vs. Arizona is decent.
Mizzou vs. Iowa is decent.
Nebraska vs. WA is epic fail.

None of these are as good as what the league saw last season. OU had a much better matchup. When I go to a bowl, I want to play a team that's ranked higher than mine. Seems like the B12 is going to be favored in most of these, outside LSU tearing A&M's arms off.

bluedogok
12/5/2010, 09:18 PM
"Nebbish Will Go the Way of Arkie "

maybe so but not before they have a greatly anticipated and heated rematch with 6-6 Washington in the holiday bowl, :D :D :D :D
We all know how much they love bowl game rematches :D

O8tcxfQ3_bs

PLaw
12/5/2010, 09:22 PM
For decades, Nebraska was waist deep in big corn fed "walk ons". On the defensive side, they didn't have to do much recruiting when those gargantuan farm boys showed up and didn't know they were supposed to wear a helmet.
They are still big and mean on defense but not what they once were.

Yeah and that corn was laced with 'roids.

BOOMER

OUthunder
12/5/2010, 09:32 PM
Osborne was pizzed. He was like ohh ****, I'm really screwed this time.

MichiganSooner
12/5/2010, 09:39 PM
Too many posters are doubting Nebraska's ability to compete in the Big 10 successfully. What is going on? We are talking the Big 10 here. To think a very good Big 8/12 team is going to fall flat on their face in the Big 10 is giving the Big 10 too many compliments!