PDA

View Full Version : Step Up and Make a Play

Soonerfan88
12/5/2010, 02:15 PM
In my many miles on the interstate lately, I was listening to the Mort Report and he was talking to a sports psychologist about Peyton Manning. Because of all the injuries to the Colts, Manning has struggled lately trying to carry then entire team alone.

According to Dr. Elko, the difference is in willINGness and willFULness. The first is being willing to rely on your training and instincts to let the play happen. The second is thinking you can enforce your will and make a play happen. Dr. Elko said that the worst thing you can say to an athlete is "step up and make a play" because it causes them to start forcing things on the field instead of just playing the game as well as they know how. If an athlete has been properly coached, studied film, and practiced well, they will naturally 'find the play' by following their instincts. This is what makes Peyton Manning usually so zen-like on the field but the last few games he has tried to take over and force the game to happen on his terms.

I think has probably been Landry's biggest problem this year - he tries too hard. Instead of just letting things happen on the field and trusting himself to know what to do, he lets internal pressure get to him and forces plays. He has obviously gotten much better throughout the year and probably is because he is now more comfortable just playing the game instead of trying to force things. This is what I interpret when athletes say the game has slowed down for them.

I also see some of this in Travis Lewis - leaving his lane to make the play somewhere else or trying to make the quick tackle instead of using proper technique and getting burned.

Sorry it's so long but any discussion?

opksooner
12/5/2010, 02:22 PM
Thinking is overrated.

Besides, anyone who consults a psychologist ought to have their head examined.

UHS-SoonerFan
12/5/2010, 02:26 PM
According to Dr. Elko, the difference is in willINGness and willFULness.

ING FUL

Whats with the bold and caps?

ouduckhunter
12/5/2010, 02:29 PM
That's interesting, and it makes sense. Letting your well trained body and instinct take over when you're making a play, whether it's football, golf, etc., is normally going to work better than trying to force/will it to happen. If you're trying to will it, you start over thinking the play, messing with your mechanics, etc., and things start to fall apart, and frustrations levels go up, especially if you keep trying and failing.

The only hole in this guy's theory is when Timmy Teblow is involved!

Soonerfan88
12/5/2010, 02:49 PM
ING FUL

Whats with the bold and caps?

Just emphasizing the difference in the two words like the psychologist did. Players need to be willing to let the game come to them rather than force their will upon it.

ousooners182
12/5/2010, 03:49 PM
good post