PDA

View Full Version : Please god no Connecticut

mgsooner
12/5/2010, 02:12 PM
Talk about a no win situation. Win the game and you've just beaten the chump that doesn't deserve to be there. Lose and it becomes a Boise State esque "greatest upset evar" situation.

TheMind__Gap
12/5/2010, 02:14 PM
The chance to win a BCS game sounds like something one would put in the win column, but maybe that's just me.

GKeeper316
12/5/2010, 02:15 PM
it isnt our fault they won their conference... nor is it our fault the big east in an aq conference. we play with the cards dealt.

mgsooner
12/5/2010, 02:16 PM
But you want to play the best competition. Beating a team like Connecticut does nothing to get the BCS monkey off of our backs from a national perspective. If we're going to exercise our BCS demons it needs to be versus a legitimate opponent.

soonervegas
It actually sounds like a "no lose" to me. Uconn is not even in the same stratosphere as that Boise team was and we need a BCS win.

With that being said, I'd rather OU test their mettle against a top 10 Stanford team.

MeMyself&Me
Conn would be worse than Boise State. Boise State was undefeated and higher ranked that OU when they played. Conn has several losses and is unranked.

btb916
12/5/2010, 02:17 PM
I don't care who we play. I trust this team and think they will be prepared.

agoo758
12/5/2010, 02:17 PM
But you want to play the best competition. Beating a team like Connecticut does nothing to get the BCS monkey off of our backs from a national perspective. If we're going to exercise our BCS demons it needs to be versus a legitimate opponent.

National perspective is irrelevant. Whatever they say has no impact of how we play the game. Let's get the job done, regardless of who they play, and then turn off ESPN until August.

mgsooner
12/5/2010, 02:18 PM
Conn would be worse than Boise State. Boise State was undefeated and higher ranked that OU when they played. Conn has several losses and is unranked.

I agree. Rational people understand the Boise State loss wasn't the "greatest upset in sports history", but that's what it has become as it is played ad nauseum on ESPN and will continue to be for decades. I also agree that a loss to UConn would be much, much worse.

bluedogok
12/5/2010, 02:24 PM
To me it doesn't matter who is there, just win the game like the other teams were supposed to do against Boise and West Virginia. Although with Boise they beat the worst OU team under Stoops since his first season and the national media acts like it was one of the teams that just missed out on the championship game. In some ways it will help salvage some respect unlike what losing to UCONN would do in magnifying the problem.

It doesn't matter who OU plays, any time OU loses a game it is considered a huge win by the opponent and many times a "defining win" even when it is a down OU team. Just the nature of being one of the premier programs.

BoulderSooner79
12/5/2010, 02:35 PM
Talk about a no win situation. Win the game and you've just beaten the chump that doesn't deserve to be there. Lose and it becomes a Boise State esque "greatest upset evar" situation.

A win will be counted as a win. There is no chance of a Boise-esque situation because BSU was a very good team. It would be a much worse loss - but losing is a risk every time you take the field. The horns are safe from that outcome this season, but i wouldn't want to trade places.

You worry too much about what others think. The 3 weeks of practice and a chance to win a bowl is a great way to launch the '11 season. Can't worry about what you don't control.

Tigeman
12/5/2010, 02:39 PM
Ill never understand how come bama doesnt get beat up 4 the utah loss

BoomerSooner, esq.
12/5/2010, 02:40 PM
it isnt our fault they won their conference... nor is it our fault the big east in an aq conference. we play with the cards dealt.

Yep, this is the only way to think about it IMO. We dont get to choose who we play. When we win, we spin it this way. We were told that we were playing Uconn, we went out and beat Uconn.

If we lose, we dont have much of a leg to stand on.

PalmBeachSooner
12/5/2010, 02:46 PM
To me it doesn't matter who is there, just win the game like the other teams were supposed to do against Boise and West Virginia. Although with Boise they beat the worst OU team under Stoops since his first season and the national media acts like it was one of the teams that just missed out on the championship game. In some ways it will help salvage some respect unlike what losing to UCONN would do in magnifying the problem.

It doesn't matter who OU plays, any time OU loses a game it is considered a huge win by the opponent and many times a "defining win" even when it is a down OU team. Just the nature of being one of the premier programs.

How can Stanford and Whisky not play in the Rose Bowl? I understand that the Pac-10 champ will be playing in the BCS championship game, but don't they preserve the Pac-10 vs. Big-10 tradition if at all possible?

I expect some behind the scene deal making going on between the BCS bowls. I will be surprised if it's not UCONN in the Fiesta. The Fiesta Bowl seems to be at the bottom of the BCS bowl game food chain.

MR2-Sooner86
12/5/2010, 02:50 PM

Or Michigan with Appellation State which wasn't even D1 and was at Michigan.

Leroy Lizard
12/5/2010, 02:51 PM

You're letting the fans of other teams define success for you.

bluedogok
12/5/2010, 02:54 PM
It's not "behind the scenes", just like the Big 12 tie breaker, the BCS bowl selection rules were put in place before the season. As mentioned in numerous other threads the Fiesta gets last choice this season as the order of selection rotates yearly. They want to avoid the shenanigans that sent OU to the Rose Bowl by the Orange Bowl cherry picking Iowa. So now they have a much more rigid selection method than in the past.

The Rose Bowl has to take a non-automatic qualifying if they lose one of the Pac10 or Big 10/11 teams to the championship game, therefore if Oregon goes they HAVE to take TCU since they are the highest ranked non-automatic qualifier. That was an exception for this season, more than likely that stipulation moves to another bowl next season, part of placating the non auto-qualifiers to keep the BCS going.

josh09
I could care less about who we play, I just want to get this BCS monkey off of our backs.

texaspokieokie

absolutely NOTHING to gain, beating a 4 loss team from the Big Nothing
conference.

BoulderSooner79
12/5/2010, 02:56 PM
How can Stanford and Whisky not play in the Rose Bowl? I understand that the Pac-10 champ will be playing in the BCS championship game, but don't they preserve the Pac-10 vs. Big-10 tradition if at all possible?

I expect some behind the scene deal making going on between the BCS bowls. I will be surprised if it's not UCONN in the Fiesta. The Fiesta Bowl seems to be at the bottom of the BCS bowl game food chain.

The Rose bowl is obligated to take TCU *this year* to replace the ducks. The Fiesta has the last pick *this year*, so yes, they are at the bottom of the food chain, but that is a rotating "honor". There is still room for back room deals, I believe, except in the title game.

Soonermagik
12/5/2010, 02:57 PM
I could care less about who we play, I just want to get this BCS monkey off of our backs.

^^^ This!!!

Eielson
12/5/2010, 02:58 PM
We haven't got much to gain from this game anyway. With two losses, we have absolutely no claim to the NC even if Oregon loses and Cam gets ruled ineligible later. Beating Stanford rather than UConn won't have much effect on our final ranking. Another BCS loss would be hard to take. We just need one, no matter who it is against, to break this skid.

CBUS_SOONER
12/5/2010, 02:59 PM
We will have our hands full with Stanford... I would rather crush uconn

BoulderSooner79
12/5/2010, 03:00 PM
conference.

If we do draw UConn look at the bright side - you are free to do other things for 3 hours on Jan 1.

PLaw
12/5/2010, 03:02 PM

No, just go hang 70 on 'em and be done with it.

BOOMER

OUinFLA
12/5/2010, 03:14 PM
We haven't got much to gain from this game anyway. With two losses, we have absolutely no claim to the NC even if Oregon loses and Cam gets ruled ineligible later. Beating Stanford rather than UConn won't have much effect on our final ranking. Another BCS loss would be hard to take. We just need one, no matter who it is against, to break this skid.

I agree, Im for playing Uconn, hanging half a hundred, I dont care if they are unranked. We are not going to break into to top position in the final poll no matter who else loses whatever, this bowl season.

Our season is pretty much over, we did what we did, and I would be happy to play an easier team in the bowl game and win it. It will make the off-season that much easier to deal with mentally, give us a jump start in attitude for next season, put another trophy in the Switzer Center, and give the boys leaving the team this year something to be proud of.

Anyone we beat in a bowl game won't matter a snit in next year's rankings. Great thing about College Football, next year starts pretty well fresh with a new lineup of players.

We aren't the greatest team this year, but, we're the best in the Big XII and have been in it's lifetime.

I can take that and live very well until next September.

SoonerMom2
12/5/2010, 03:33 PM
After playing Stanford in the Sun Bowl last year with their obnoxious tree and band at the hotel plus fans were a bunch of snobs, I would rather play CT and have a blow-out if possible. I am tired of close games. I think our defense will have a field day with CT.

OK2U
12/5/2010, 03:36 PM
#25 in AP Poll today.
We're screwed!

oudivesherpa
12/5/2010, 03:51 PM
Look at the bright side, there are very few trolls on our board from Connecticut. Lid where are you?

budbarrybob
12/5/2010, 03:54 PM
conference.

except a BCS BOWL WIN! :D

Leroy Lizard
12/5/2010, 04:17 PM
In a way, if we crush 'em really bad, that only makes our win look worse.

As for me, I'll take a victory any way we can get it, short of running over their players in the parking lot.

And just remember, UConn is better than Cincy.

Whet
12/5/2010, 04:24 PM
A win is a win AND a BCS bowl win, at that!

It is possible UConn beats OU, but the probability is very low.

rekamrettuB
12/5/2010, 04:26 PM

Two things...one it was the way the game was played. It was an incredible game w/ an amazing finish. Utah dominated that game vs Bama and there were no highlights past the immediate post game show. Couple that w/ Bama winning the NC the following year. OU beats Florida in '08 and the Boise game is a distant memory.

Another thing could be Utah had been there before and Boise was a "what the heck are they doing in this game" type of team.

DominoMaximo
12/5/2010, 04:27 PM
We beat Stanford last year from a BCS conference. People have made too much out of OU's 2-5 BCS Bowl record. 3 of those losses were national championship games 2 in which we could have very easily won.

Most people care too much about what outsiders think of the program. To me it is a win win situation. We can win a BCS bowl game and go 3-5 and come in next year and play for a national championship and make it 4-5 and we will have 8 conference championships (despite it not being a championship game next year) under Stoops and 8th National Championship at OU.

OH MY GOD IT IS GREAT TO BE A SOONER!!!

soonerinkaty
12/5/2010, 04:32 PM
Has anyone bothered to compare teams and see how we match up? I honestly don't know **** about UConn, but their fans just KNOW they match up so well with us.

SoonerPr8r
12/5/2010, 04:34 PM
Meh it is an post season game that is not a championship game if we beat stanford, wisconson, va tech who cares? Because we aren't in the title game and there isn't a playoff the game doesn't even matter other than MAYBE some small boost in some BS preseason poll. All that will really matter is our previous years overall record. I would rather start off the new year with the Sooners hangin half a hundred on UConn in a BCS bowl.

pappy
12/5/2010, 04:36 PM

on a technicality.

soonersam
12/5/2010, 04:41 PM
The entire system is just painful.. I do honestly believe it usually gets 1 & 2 correct, but how cool would it be to play TCU or UCONN. With the winner advancing to round 2 of a 8 team playoff!

westbrooke
12/5/2010, 04:48 PM
My thought on hearing about a potential matchup with UConn was "Oh no, that's a team that we could easily overlook." But after thinking about it a bit more, I don't think this team will do that. They've been hearing about their troubles on the road, about their struggles in bowl games, and all that for too long, and they've responded well so far.

And besides, it's no use worrying about who we're matched up with because we can't control it anyway. Just put your head down and beat the man lined up across from you. That's all we can really do. I'll be happy with a win.

SoonerLB
12/5/2010, 04:58 PM
Has anyone bothered to compare teams and see how we match up? I honestly don't know **** about UConn, but their fans just KNOW they match up so well with us.

Most of those yankee bastages don't even know where Oklahoma is, let alone anything about the football team! ;) And they don't match up well at all, we will humiliate them if we play them, period!

CBUS_SOONER
12/5/2010, 05:09 PM
I remember when we were gonna crush Boise and WVirgina in our bowl games not so long ago... I will take UConn and I hope they suck. I just wanna bcs win

pphilfran
12/5/2010, 05:15 PM
I remember when we were gonna crush Boise and WVirgina in our bowl games not so long ago... I will take UConn and I hope they suck. I just wanna bcs win

Boise was at least our equal...they were undefeated and we overachieved to get to the game...

WV was one loss (without White as their qb) from playing for all the marbles...

UConn is not in the same class...the Sooners will roll them...

BoulderSooner79
12/5/2010, 05:23 PM
Boise was at least our equal...they were undefeated and we overachieved to get to the game...

Totally agree with this assessment. BSU was good and WVU was *very* good. What I have seen of UConn, they are a grind it out running team w/o much big play potential. But I've only seen snipets of a few games. Still have to show up and play to beat anyone these days.

Okie35
12/5/2010, 05:34 PM

What if we only win by 3? Its pretty much the post season what happened before then doesn't matter to the opposing team.

Geez, some of you guys would bitch about anything. Who cares if we play and beat Uconn. It would be a BSC win and a year or so down the road, all anyone will care about is that we won a BCS game and not who it was against.

Look at the polls. Most anyone really sees is W-L record. The vast majority doesn't realize if a team played 3 sun belt teams and a WAC out of conference. They just see 4 wins.

Pretty much

pphilfran
12/5/2010, 05:38 PM
What if we only win by 3?

I would take a 1 point win...

The Sooners are a terrible match up for UConn...

Okie35
12/5/2010, 05:40 PM
I would take a 1 point win...

The Sooners are a terrible match up for UConn...

They are but Uconn made it there so its who has to played unless the Orange bowl passes on Stanford (which I highly doubt).

pphilfran
12/5/2010, 05:44 PM
They are but Uconn made it there so its who has to played unless the Orange bowl passes on Stanford (which I highly doubt).

It is going to be UConn...

I don't care who the Sooners play....they made it to the Fiesta Bowl after being overlooked a few weeks ago...

Okie35
12/5/2010, 05:49 PM
It is going to be UConn...

I don't care who the Sooners play....they made it to the Fiesta Bowl after being overlooked a few weeks ago...

That's how I see it. We were written off to win the Big 12 a few weeks ago. Playing Uconn may feel like a consolation prize but I'll take it. Would fans rather played a better perceived Pac-10 team in a lesser bowl(Insight or Alamo) or play Uconn in the Fiesta? That's the question. I'll take the Fiesta, everytime.

Leroy Lizard
12/5/2010, 05:50 PM
Totally agree with this assessment. BSU was good and WVU was *very* good. What I have seen of UConn, they are a grind it out running team w/o much big play potential. But I've only seen snipets of a few games. Still have to show up and play to beat anyone these days.

You have short memories. We were going to crush WV's offense because they were one-dimensional. I was one of the few in here that said to fear WV's offense, but no one would listen. The Fiesta Bowl victory was in the bag.

We will never learn.

slh1234
12/5/2010, 05:52 PM

I'm really tired of the no-win argument (and I'm a lover of big games). It's time for OU to win some of these "no-win" situations when presented with them, and then there won't be any argument of "no win" situations.

Love the big games, but I also want to see OU win against the perception that leads to this argument.

CBUS_SOONER
12/5/2010, 05:53 PM
WV was also without head coach... All I am saying is that we seem to have too much confidence at times... Uconn may not be as good as those teams, however, don't sleep on em.

CBUS_SOONER
12/5/2010, 05:54 PM
You have short memories. We were going to crush WV's offense because they were one-dimensional. I was one of the few in here that said to fear WV's offense, but no one would listen. The Fiesta Bowl victory was in the bag.

We will never learn.

I agree with you Leroy

slh1234
12/5/2010, 05:55 PM
WV was also without head coach... All I am saying is that we seem to have too much confidence at times... Uconn may not be as good as those teams, however, don't sleep on em.

Basically, you're saying that regardless of who OU plays, they can't win by just throwing their jock straps onto the field. I agree with that. :)

OU needs to be ready for a dogfight of a game, and needs to play to win.

Okie35
12/5/2010, 05:55 PM

They have a good RB and they will pretty much pound the ball all game. Maybe they may throw a few tricks here and there. Their QB is horrible though their fans even hate him. Not like pretend Landry hate like our fans :rolleyes: but they actually loathe him lol.

CBUS_SOONER
12/5/2010, 05:56 PM
Basically, you're saying that regardless of who OU plays, they can't win by just throwing their jock straps onto the field. I agree with that. :)

OU needs to be ready for a dogfight of a game, and needs to play to win.

I no i am a genius.

delhalew
12/5/2010, 05:59 PM
As long as the human polls are 2/3rds of the BCS formula, the nations perception of our wins/losses as well as our conference strength are important. To say otherwise is naive.

Penguin
12/5/2010, 06:02 PM

I agree 1000%. We have absolutely nothing to gain from a game against UConn.

We win? We get no congrats and maybe a courtesy bump of one spot in the polls. The quote that will ring from coast to coast will be "Bob Stoops finally won a BCS bowl, but it was against UConn, a 10 year old football program."

We lose? Well, I think everyone has a pretty good handle on what will happen if we lose.

I, for one, would rather lose against a great Stanford team than win against ..... "who did OU beat in the Fiesta Bowl in 2011? Yeah, I don't remember either."

SoonerKnight
12/5/2010, 06:08 PM

We are Sooners who cares what the other people think. There are a lot of schools that would love to have our long history of success.

delhalew
12/5/2010, 06:42 PM
We are Sooners who cares what the other people think. There are a lot of schools that would love to have our long history of success.

See my above post, Knight.

OUinFLA
12/5/2010, 06:46 PM
I, for one, would rather lose against a great Stanford team than win against ..... "who did OU beat in the Fiesta Bowl in 2011? Yeah, I don't remember either."

I dont care if anyone remembers who we played, but, it's nice to know they would remember that we won.

jkjsooner
12/5/2010, 06:57 PM

Agreed.

I hope we come out motivated. It's easy to assume we will because of our recent BCS problems but, frankly, we assumed the same when we played BSU and WVU. We had the same motivational factors then yet layed eggs both times.

BSU was a little bit of an anomoly. Had we had a QB who was even remotely accurate on long passes we would have rolled Boise State. We had at least 2 and maybe 3 easy TD's that Thompson just flat out missed. (The same thing happened against TCU the year before; had Thompson been remotely accurate beyond 20 yards Bomar would not have seen the field.)

WVU might have been a very good team but we were not ready to play. We were supposed to have a good o-line but they went through our line like swiss cheese. In many cases they just had more guys on one side of the line than we had blockers so I'd have to much of that was coaching.

Okie35
12/5/2010, 06:59 PM

You really think ppl will forget we won a Fiesta Bowl? I really question your fanhood if you'd rather lose to Stanford than win a Fiesta Bowl against anyone.

OUthunder
12/5/2010, 07:18 PM
Geez, some of you guys would bitch about anything. Who cares if we play and beat Uconn. It would be a BSC win and a year or so down the road, all anyone will care about is that we won a BCS game and not who it was against.

Look at the polls. Most anyone really sees is W-L record. The vast majority doesn't realize if a team played 3 sun belt teams and a WAC out of conference. They just see 4 wins.

This^^^

bluedogok
12/5/2010, 07:22 PM
This is utterly ridiculous.....a loss to Stanford perpetuates the current thinking even more than a win over a "nobody". I don't care who they are or what conference they are in, they won a BCS conference, they are not an East Popcorn State.

BoulderSooner79
12/5/2010, 07:22 PM

We will never learn.

My memory is fine. I actually had WVU favored in that game - not just because of Pat White and them being very close the title game. But also who we were missing - DeMarco Murray, Malcolm Kelly, Reggie Smith, DeMarcus Granger and they guy who didn't go to class (Lendl?). People on this board put way too much weight on Rodrigues bailing to Michigan. Now I'll admit I thought we should beat BSU, but in retrospect, I still think we should have beat them, but I did think they were a quality squad.

I do think Uconn is a different case, assuming we get them. But as I said, you have to respect any opponent you draw. I have no doubt our team will do that regardless of SF.com folks.

sendbaht
12/5/2010, 07:49 PM
The chance to win a BCS game sounds like something one would put in the win column, but maybe that's just me.

I 2nd this. Later people just look at the win. A BCS win will help going into next year. Who ever we play I think we can win though.

stoopified
12/5/2010, 08:02 PM
F the Huskies,I say hang half a hundred on them.

Penguin
12/5/2010, 08:11 PM
Playing UConn is lose-lose. There is no other way to spin this, but it looks like some people are trying.

AlboSooner
12/5/2010, 08:14 PM
While not a great team to play against, I say let's get the monkey off our backs by beating UConn. You start with small monkeys so you get confidence, then next year you beat the chief gorilla for the NC. :D

C&CDean
12/5/2010, 08:18 PM
God our fans are stupid.

sooner518
12/5/2010, 08:18 PM
welp, we're #7!!!!

SoonerMom2
12/5/2010, 08:38 PM
While not a great team to play against, I say let's get the monkey off our backs by beating UConn. You start with small monkeys so you get confidence, then next year you beat the chief gorilla for the NC. :D

Exactly! It is UCONN according to ESPN!

soonerinkaty
12/5/2010, 08:40 PM
How do we match up

sooner518
12/5/2010, 08:41 PM
LEts not forget, UConn beat Notre Dame last year

LOL. Lou Holtz has officially lost it

TMcGee86
12/5/2010, 08:42 PM

This. Both those years I went in thinking we would lose. Boise was legit and it was the first shot of a non-AQ in a BCS game not to mention we were not at our best.

WVU was the number one team in the nation the last week of the season and Pat White got hurt and they lost to Pitt sending them to the Fiesta. Anyone who had OU winning that game easy just doesn't follow college football.

Conn can win, dont get me wrong, but it will take a massive collapse on our part. They are no where near those teams. Not even close. I'm all for it, I want a BCS win so bad I can taste it. I hope we blow them the f out.

OUinFLA
12/5/2010, 08:43 PM
How do we match up

Well............. we put 11 young men on the field, they put 11 on.......

oh, wait, you wanted in depth individual matchups? sorry, I have no idea.

I'd say we matchup heavy in our favor judging by the way the season rankings ended up.

Okie35
12/5/2010, 08:44 PM
Playing UConn is lose-lose. There is no other way to spin this, but it looks like some people are trying.

God our fans are stupid.

.... :cool:

goingoneight
12/5/2010, 08:45 PM
The BIG 12 took the second-rate BCS bid, so we should just man up and play the teams nobody wants in the BCS.

It's time to turn it around and win one of these damn things.

BoulderSooner79

The penguin strikes!! I say to all those that feel so screwed by the match-up we landed, go plan something else to do on Jan 1 and don't waste 3 hours of your life on the OU game. It's a choice you know.

SCOUT
At least we don't sound arrogant like those dang ut fans.

AlboSooner
12/5/2010, 08:46 PM
How do we match up
If we bring our C game we beat them by 14 points. B game = 25+, A game, half a hunnret at halftime.

They have a decent running game, but they're no Nebraska.

They are ranked 112 in passing offense and 31st rushing offense. They are ranked 42 in passing D, 57 rushing D, and 48th in total D, which is a higher ranking that OU, but I think that has to do with who they have faced.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/5/2010, 08:46 PM
I can't imagine lots of folks traveling to the Fiesta Bowl for this game.

A semi-boycott.

Penguin
12/5/2010, 08:47 PM
I really question your fanhood if you'd rather lose to Stanford than win a Fiesta Bowl against anyone.

My point is that you get respect when you play a great team tough but lose. Beating a scrub in a bowl gives you no benefit. The BCS screwed us. Nothing to gain, everything to lose.

goingoneight
12/5/2010, 08:48 PM
Oh, and FTR...

Playing Utah State, North Texas, Ball State and OSU is a no-win situation, too. When we win them, who cares? When we lose them, T-Shirts and movies are made, ESPYs awarded, the game is put on repeat all off-season long and color commentators continue to nag us all next season during our games for being so full of fail.

I'd rather be ripped for beating up on the underdogs than losing to them, personally.

rekamrettuB
12/5/2010, 08:49 PM

Exactly. Please see on the road at Baylor this year for a prime example.

Okie35
12/5/2010, 08:50 PM
My point is that you get respect when you play a great team tough but lose. Beating a scrub in a bowl gives you no benefit. The BCS screwed us. Nothing to gain, everything to lose.

It will give us a Fiesta Bowl win. I mean it would be fine if you just said its a lose lose but to add "I'd rather lose to Stanford in the Fiesta than win against Uconn in the Fiesta" thats absolutely ridiculous.

VA Sooner
12/5/2010, 08:50 PM

AlboSooner
12/5/2010, 08:51 PM
BTW I have absolute confidence, Stoops and Co are taking this as seriously as possible. The fans may be taking this lightly, but the team will be focused, and I expect UCONN to be focused and keep it close at least for a half.

I don't agree with the no-win statements. If you win, you win. You get one more W, and a fiesta bowl trophy which is the only one OU doesn't have. Those are the facts. Now that may not enable me to go and brag about it on a message board, but for the program there is a lot to win.

jumperstop
Why do we always get the ****tiest bowl against teams like this? How come we can't be like kansas and play va tech in the orange bowl.

afs
I'll take anyone's tickets who feel that OU shouldn't play UCONN. Idiots.

Okie35
12/5/2010, 08:52 PM

best post in the thread besides C&C saying our fans are dumb :cool:

TMcGee86
12/5/2010, 08:52 PM

I disagree. Winning is all that matters, no one cares who you beat or who beat you.

Hell, Stanford probably wouldn't even be the favorite and even if they were if we lost people would still say we lost to an inferior school because it's Stanford.

To me, that was the no-win situation. If you win you beat an overrated Stanford team from a weak Pac10. If you lose you are the biggest BCS chokers in history and people start to wonder if Bob ever wins another.

Is it ideal? No, but a wins a win and I'll take it any way I can get it.

Okie35
12/5/2010, 08:53 PM
Why do we always get the ****tiest bowl against teams like this? How come we can't be like kansas and play va tech in the orange bowl.

So you'd want to lose the Big XII so you can go to a different BCS game?

bluedogok
12/5/2010, 08:53 PM
A win is a gain when you have dropped too many of the games in recent years, especially when the perception is you lost to teams you shouldn't have lost to no matter what the realities of those situations were. They need to go out there and take care of business unlike some of the teams that went in prior seasons, it shouldn't matter who they are playing.

SoonerMarkVA
12/5/2010, 08:54 PM
Nothing to gain here but the trophy. While that's certainly good to have, the downside (especially with our recent history in BCS bowls) is pretty big.

What really sucks is OU/Stanford would have been an awesome followup to last year's Sun bowl. The BCS really blew it. They should have stepped in and shuffled things around to send UC to OB and get Stanford to the Fiesta.

jumperstop
12/5/2010, 08:56 PM
So you'd want to lose the Big XII so you can go to a different BCS game?

Ok bad example, but they need to rotate which bowl Champions go to. I would like to go to the sugar or rose again.

bluedogok
12/5/2010, 08:57 PM
Umm...for the most part the BCS are the bowls themselves. They aren't going to "pull rank" on each other to setup matchups because they might get screwed the next season. The one year that the Orange Bowl did it caused the current rules to be put into place.

Ok bad example, but they need to rotate which bowl Champions go to. I would like to go to the sugar or rose again.
This is a better solution but I'm sure the Rose and the Sugar block it every year so the Rose can have the Pac10/12-Big 10/11/12 match up and the Sugar can have their vaunted SEC team.

Shiznitttt
12/5/2010, 09:00 PM
Happy to see UCONN give us a win. I don't want another year of stressing out for a month and then losing a BCS game. We win this bowl game this year that is 2 in a row. Get some cofidence back in this team, and with the returning players that OU has coming back, they may be hell on wheels next year.

Jeronimo
12/5/2010, 09:01 PM
guys come on, we cant control who we play. if you scrap your plans to go to the game simply because its against vastly inferior team, then you might as well delete your account and turn in your Sooner fan cards. Sooner fans get behind our boys EVERY damn game we play! Quit bein lil beeyatches, go through with getting tickets, go have fun in Arizona, say hi to brother Stoops if you see him and hopefully come away with the only BCS trophy we dont have. Funny how quick people are to forget what it took to get here....

soonercruiser
12/5/2010, 09:03 PM
My thought on hearing about a potential matchup with UConn was "Oh no, that's a team that we could easily overlook." But after thinking about it a bit more, I don't think this team will do that. They've been hearing about their troubles on the road, about their struggles in bowl games, and all that for too long, and they've responded well so far.

And besides, it's no use worrying about who we're matched up with because we can't control it anyway. Just put your head down and beat the man lined up across from you. That's all we can really do. I'll be happy with a win.

WE better hope & pray the the betterSooner team shows up.
Otherwise, overlooking UConn will be like the last 2 West Virginia vs. OU games.
How did that go??
(From an OU faculty member, who is twice a WVU grad.)

SoonerMom2
12/5/2010, 09:05 PM
This team is focused. The one with Malcolm Kelly and some of the others that year would have let a hangnail keep them out of the game. This team is much more of team and a lot tougher IMHO. They take nothing foregranted after what they have been through this year!

CBUS_SOONER
12/5/2010, 09:06 PM
Who did texass get in ther bowl game???

AlboSooner
12/5/2010, 09:10 PM
What about NU vs Washington. LOL. they beat Washington this year by 30+ points

BoulderSooner79
12/5/2010, 09:12 PM
I think I understand a little of this bitterness. Yes, we're not getting an exciting bowl match-up and that is partially the issue. I think the bigger issue is that the pinnacle achievement of the season is winning the conference and now it's over. There is no play-off system to allow going for the next higher brass ring or any bizarre set of circumstances to boost us in the polls like the old pre-BCS days. It's sort of postpartum depression and it's just sinking in. But that's the facts regardless of the opponent we draw and there is nothing like a win and dreams of starting strong next season to put a smile on most our faces (except for the truly jaded).

AlboSooner
12/5/2010, 09:21 PM
Apparently no BCS game will be on ABC. They'll all be on ESPN.

Adrian
12/5/2010, 09:22 PM
Who did texass get in ther bowl game???

"Let me answer that one for Chris."

JLMSOONER
12/5/2010, 09:23 PM
Date Opponent Result

09/04/10 at Michigan L, 30-10
09/11/10 vs. Texas Southern W, 62-3
09/18/10 at Temple L, 30-16
09/25/10 vs. Buffalo W, 45-21
10/02/10 vs. Vanderbilt W, 40-21
10/08/10 at Rutgers L, 27-24
10/23/10 at Louisville L, 26-0
10/29/10 vs. West Virginia W, 16-13 (OT)
11/11/10 vs. Pittsburgh W, 30-28
11/20/10 at Syracuse W, 23-6
11/27/10 vs. Cincinnati W, 38-17
12/04/10 at USF W, 19-16

This may have been posted before, but UConn has played some teams that were decent. I'm not saying they will be the toughest opponent, but I suspect they won't just lay down either.

TMcGee86
12/5/2010, 09:31 PM
man, did something happen to them around 10/29? All of the sudden they decided to win.

I didn't realize they were riding a five game win streak, and really against their toughest opponents. Strange season.

SanJoaquinSooner
12/5/2010, 09:33 PM
I'll take anyone's tickets who feel that OU shouldn't play UCONN. Idiots.

well yeah, but will you drop a couple thou in expenses to go see OU-UCONN?

OUthunder
12/5/2010, 09:35 PM
This team is focused. The one with Malcolm Kelly and some of the others that year would have let a hangnail keep them out of the game. This team is much more of team and a lot tougher IMHO. They take nothing foregranted after what they have been through this year!

I rarely say this about a Sooner but Kelly was a ****in dooshbag.

Nuff said.

silverwheels
12/5/2010, 09:44 PM
UConn will put up a good fight.

TheLadiesMike
12/5/2010, 09:50 PM

That's strange cause many of our own fans spent the previous few seasons wishing we would play lesser teams and win rather than lose a BCS bowl against a tough opponent.

fadada1
12/5/2010, 09:53 PM
Date Opponent Result

09/04/10 at Michigan L, 30-10
09/11/10 vs. Texas Southern W, 62-3
09/18/10 at Temple L, 30-16
09/25/10 vs. Buffalo W, 45-21
10/02/10 vs. Vanderbilt W, 40-21
10/08/10 at Rutgers L, 27-24
10/23/10 at Louisville L, 26-0
10/29/10 vs. West Virginia W, 16-13 (OT)
11/11/10 vs. Pittsburgh W, 30-28
11/20/10 at Syracuse W, 23-6
11/27/10 vs. Cincinnati W, 38-17
12/04/10 at USF W, 19-16

This may have been posted before, but UConn has played some teams that were decent. I'm not saying they will be the toughest opponent, but I suspect they won't just lay down either.
my wife went to temple, so i usually give her sh*t about their football team. i'm sticking to my prediction that their coach will replace JoePa for the 2031 season (or maybe 2012). i've seen several temple games this year, and while they are vastly improved, we would beat temple by AT LEAST 80 - and my wife agrees. the fact that uconn lost to temple, doesn't impress me - but scares me all the same.

they're not that good and play in a PAINFULLY WEAK conference, but we thought the same about WVU. i still think we drop 50+ on them. our receivers and backs are just too stinking fast for them - SEC fast.

afs
12/5/2010, 10:24 PM
well yeah, but will you drop a couple thou in expenses to go see OU-UCONN?

don't have to, it's a 2 hour drive from my house. would I? yes.

OK2LA
12/5/2010, 10:53 PM

This is dooshey if I've ever heard it. You sound like Longhorn fan.

:confused:

Sooner_Tuf
12/5/2010, 11:01 PM
I'm ok with the match up. Wouldn't matter if I weren't.

What I am excited about is the possibility of an appearance by Yukon Penguin!

westbrooke
12/5/2010, 11:02 PM
Would beating Stanford do more for our reputation nationally than beating UConn? Undoubtedly. Do we have a choice in the matter? No. The BCS has spoken. We're playing UConn. I refuse to look at this as a lose-lose situation. Sure, we can tank this game and look like overrated jackasses. Or we can go take care of business and win. Winning suits me just fine.

And that will have plenty of benefits, including but not limited to: 3-5 in BCS games looks better than 2-6, 2 bowl wins in a row, 4 away-or-neutral-site wins in a row to end the season = great momentum and preseason ranking for next year. Balanced against some horn or aggy giving us **** for winning a game they don't deem to be significant enough, I'm still calling that a big win.

jdsooner
12/5/2010, 11:10 PM
Let's hang half a hundred on em' by halftime and play John Nimmo at qb the second half. We will roll them and I will love it!

BoulderSooner79
12/6/2010, 12:42 AM
Would beating Stanford do more for our reputation nationally than beating UConn? Undoubtedly. Do we have a choice in the matter? No. The BCS has spoken. We're playing UConn. I refuse to look at this as a lose-lose situation. Sure, we can tank this game and look like overrated jackasses. Or we can go take care of business and win. Winning suits me just fine.

This is the way to look at. This was determined before the first snap of the first game in September. The big12 champ would play whoever was left to pick since the Fiesta had last pick this year. The big east champ was always lurking out there as most likely last choice. Whining about it now just makes us, well, whiners. If getting an attractive bowl was paramount then we either needed to make the BCS title or not win the conference. I can live with winning the conference.

Ground_Attack
12/6/2010, 12:47 AM

Gorillas aren't monkeys :cool:

goingoneight
12/6/2010, 01:00 AM
Dear people who don't feel UCONN is a "worthy matchup,"

You didn't think LSU, Boise or WVU were worthy, either... so STFU.

Also, don't use the "beating UCONN means nothing" excuse. Georgia beat lowly Hawaii like the mid-major they were and it propelled them to the #1 spot the next season.

mgsooner
12/6/2010, 01:37 AM
Comparing UConn to those LSU, Boise and/or West Virginia teams is comical at best.

mgsooner
12/6/2010, 01:38 AM
This is dooshey if I've ever heard it. You sound like Longhorn fan.

:confused:

I guess I'm confused also. I'm confused how it makes me "dooshey" to want to play and beat top tier teams in BCS bowls. I'm sorry you find my statement so egregious.

recemp
12/6/2010, 02:02 AM
We've turned around a lot of the perceptions of OU. The "Big Game" Bob is getting play again. We've come back to win. We've won on the road.
We still have the BCS jinx and the Fiesta Bowl hex. Like to put a dent in those two.
If we could always punch it in when we get inside the five, I'd be happy too.
Maybe an NC or two to go with that statue of Bob they're putting up

Leroy Lizard
12/6/2010, 04:31 AM
Here, this will **** you off:

Fiesta Bowl
January 1, 2011 Glendale, AZ
Oklahoma vs. Connecticut

You’ll have to forgive the Fiesta Bowl if it’s a little bit grouchy about getting stuck with the Aunt Edna of the BCS season.

It’s not like TCU vs. Boise State wasn’t a good matchup last year, both teams were undefeated, but it was the kiddie table compared to some of the other great-looking showdowns, and the game turned out to be a dog. This year, it’s Oklahoma, who’s a Fiesta Bowl regular, making this the third trip in the last five years, against a plucky but punchless Connecticut team that’s finishing up with its Little Engine That Could, rags-to-riches story.

The Huskies didn’t become an FBS team until 2000 and didn’t join the Big East until 2004, but it quickly became a regular on the bowl circuit and is 3-1 in post-season games since beating Toledo in the 2004 Motor City Bowl. Jordan Todman is among the nation’s best running backs, the defense is tough and nasty, and the team’s games are almost always thrilling with the three key Big East wins against South Florida, Pitt, and West Virginia coming by a grand total of eight points. The offense can’t throw a lick and it’ll be Food Network time if the Sooners get up by ten early, but OU has gagged in the desert before. It was the far better team than Boise State in the 2007 game and West Virginia in the 2008 game, and both ended up being major upsets.

In fact, Oklahoma, for its fantastic résumé under Bob Stoops and for all the big things the program has done since the BCS was formed, is 0-5 in BCS games since whacking Washington State in the 2003 Rose Bowl. This year’s team isn’t the best of the Stoops Big 12 champions, but it’s explosive and has the firepower to make this a laugher if it’s well motivated

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1028584.html

SoonerKnight
12/6/2010, 04:56 AM
See my above post, Knight.

It was a response to mgsooner.....

But this is a bowl game where scheduling is not OUR choice so we win the voters no that we had no hand in who the Fiesta Bowl picked as it's team. Also, we usually have one of the toughest OOC scheduling!!!