PDA

View Full Version : Question on a coaching decision

achiro
12/5/2010, 11:58 AM
On the 3rd and 5 play just before the field goal miss.
We throw to the right side for a 1 yard gain when we needed 5. That makes the FG attempt happen from the right hash and short range.
Seems like it would be better to go for the first or even a td at that point. If you don't get it you still are well within range for a fg but from the middle. I guess I just don't understand the thought of getting one yard to the outside when it hurts you more than it helps. I know that Murray had broke that play earlier for a big gain but to the other side and it was with a big field, not everyone crammed inside 10 yards.
Anyway, just curious what thought would go into that kind of decision?

Breadburner
12/5/2010, 12:00 PM
O gawd....Make it stop.....

OUHOMER
12/5/2010, 12:00 PM
Been asking that question since Wilson started calling plays

BoulderSooner79
12/5/2010, 12:01 PM
I think it was simply an execution error. Everyone was covered and LJ went to his check down at the last moment instead of throwing it away. Credit NU's D for that one.

achiro
12/5/2010, 12:04 PM
O gawd....Make it stop.....

Make what stop? We can't talk football on a football forum? **** off!

FirstandGoal
12/5/2010, 12:10 PM
We throw to the right side for a 1 yard gain when we needed 5. That makes the FG attempt happen from the right hash and short range.
Seems like it would be better to go for the first or even a td at that point. If you don't get it you still are well within range for a fg but from the middle. I guess I just don't understand the thought of getting one yard to the outside when it hurts you more than it helps. I know that Murray had broke that play earlier for a big gain but to the other side and it was with a big field, not everyone crammed inside 10 yards.

This is why I hate it when I forget to set the dvr before going somewhere else to watch the game. I kinda remember how that play went down, but can't remember a lot of specifics.
Whether it was Landry or Wilson, I knew we were screwed the moment that ball ended up on the right hash mark.....

OUinFLA
12/5/2010, 12:55 PM
Stevens needed the practice from the right hash

stoopified
12/5/2010, 12:58 PM
You know we had more than a few plays not work out this year BUT we are 11-2 and won the BIG 12 ,so WTF?

AlboSooner
12/5/2010, 01:01 PM
7 Big 12 championships. Bob and the people he hires are no fools.
/thread

achiro
12/5/2010, 01:09 PM
You know we had more than a few plays not work out this year BUT we are 11-2 and won the BIG 12 ,so WTF?

7 Big 12 championships. Bob and the people he hires are no fools.
/thread
Like I said before, I'm asking a football question. Has nothing to do with us winning or losing. I just want to know what goes into this type of play calling decision.

AlboSooner
12/5/2010, 01:11 PM
Like I said before, I'm asking a football question. Has nothing to do with us winning or losing. I just want to know what goes into this type of play calling decision.

Good point. I can't answer your original question.

BoulderSooner79
12/5/2010, 01:13 PM
It was an execution error forced by good NU defense - it was not any "decision". I have no doubt the play was designed to either score or get a 1st down, otherwise might as well attempt the FG on 3rd down.

instigator
12/5/2010, 01:18 PM

Didn't you see he ended the thread?? It's over stop trying to ask questions. :D

cvsooner
12/5/2010, 01:20 PM
That close from the right hash I think i'd take delay of game and push it back five yards to narrow the angle, personally.

achiro
12/5/2010, 01:22 PM
It was an execution error forced by good NU defense - it was not any "decision". I have no doubt the play was designed to either score or get a 1st down, otherwise might as well attempt the FG on 3rd down.

Someone that has it recorded will have to look at it but I don't remember Landry even looking down field, just over to Murray. I didn't see it as a check down pass but I could be wrong.

I realize you want the first down or a td just doesn't seem like a play like this works to your advantage at all unless Murray can get clear and run the extra 4 yards to get the FD. I know that's kind of a "duh" statement but what I mean is the negatives of that play seem to outweigh the positives drastically.

BoulderSooner79
12/5/2010, 01:55 PM
Someone that has it recorded will have to look at it but I don't remember Landry even looking down field, just over to Murray. I didn't see it as a check down pass but I could be wrong.

I realize you want the first down or a td just doesn't seem like a play like this works to your advantage at all unless Murray can get clear and run the extra 4 yards to get the FD. I know that's kind of a "duh" statement but what I mean is the negatives of that play seem to outweigh the positives drastically.

The NU D won that play - it seems simple to me. Maybe we could have called a better play, but sometimes the defense wins. NU had the 2nd best pass defense in the country coming into the game (we may have lowered them), so it's not surprising that it was hard to get guys open and provide time. It's also not surprising it was it got even tougher in the red zone since we couldn't beat them over the top anymore. A better running game would have made the "decisions" a lot easier, but we were not going to magically grow one in game 13 of the season. Gotta dance with the one that brung 'ya.

Leroy Lizard
12/5/2010, 02:12 PM

When KW sees how NU lines up, he calls the play he thinks will succeed. He's not calling a play to fail so they can kick a FG.

Credit NU's defense for shutting the play down. It happens.

Leroy Lizard
12/5/2010, 02:13 PM
That close from the right hash I think i'd take delay of game and push it back five yards to narrow the angle, personally.

If he had missed, we would have screamed bloody murder at the stupid penalty that cost us a FG.

achiro
12/5/2010, 02:23 PM
The NU D won that play - it seems simple to me. Maybe we could have called a better play, but sometimes the defense wins. NU had the 2nd best pass defense in the country coming into the game (we may have lowered them), so it's not surprising that it was hard to get guys open and provide time. It's also not surprising it was it got even tougher in the red zone since we couldn't beat them over the top anymore. A better running game would have made the "decisions" a lot easier, but we were not going to magically grow one in game 13 of the season. Gotta dance with the one that brung 'ya.

When KW sees how NU lines up, he calls the play he thinks will succeed. He's not calling a play to fail so they can kick a FG.

Credit NU's defense for shutting the play down. It happens.

I understand all of this. You guys may not be understanding what I'm asking about. I want to know why a coach calls a play that gives you one yard and a fg attempt from very short and the right hash mark instead of a down the field play that either gets the fd, td, or keeps you in the middle for the fg attempt.

cmoneyou
12/5/2010, 02:39 PM
I understand all of this. You guys may not be understanding what I'm asking about. I want to know why a coach calls a play that gives you one yard and a fg attempt from very short and the right hash mark instead of a down the field play that either gets the fd, td, or keeps you in the middle for the fg attempt.

The play wasn't called to only gain one down. It is not always advantageous to run every route to the same level of the defense. I haven't rewatched the tv broadcast, but if it is the play i think it was, demarco was at least the 3rd read on that play.

BoulderSooner79
12/5/2010, 02:51 PM

I do understand. If DM was the primary receiver, it was probably anticipated he wouldn't be covered closely and would have room to make a move. The coverage could have messed up the timing and he had to keep retreating to try to get open. You could tell by LJs demeanor that whatever it was he wanted wasn't there and it was sort of a throw-away. It's a pretty subtle thing to worry about hash marks when you are in that close and I readily admit it was an execution error, albeit a minor one. But it was caused by NU dialing up the right D. The bad error was missing a 26 yarder regardless of the hash mark. You don't see coaches worrying too much about the ball placement unless they are driving for the winning FG in final drive of the game. Then they will burn a play to get to the center of the field. When this play happened, the clear goal was to still the TD.

achiro
12/5/2010, 02:55 PM
The play wasn't called to only gain one down. It is not always advantageous to run every route to the same level of the defense. I haven't rewatched the tv broadcast, but if it is the play i think it was, demarco was at least the 3rd read on that play.

If it wasn't his first read then my question is answered.

Leroy Lizard
12/5/2010, 02:59 PM

The coach doesn't dial up a "one-yard play." :rolleyes:

bluedogok
12/5/2010, 03:00 PM
I think it was simply an execution error. Everyone was covered and LJ went to his check down at the last moment instead of throwing it away. Credit NU's D for that one.

It couldn't be that since Landry locks onto his first read and never goes through a progression according to some of our resident coaching geniuses on here.